Katana67

At What Point Will You Say, "This Is Now DayZ"?

So yeah, what stated inclusion on the roadmap and/or factor from the mod do you personally think will represent that crystallizing moment of the DayZ Alpha actually becoming DayZ? 

Because for me, by virtue of being fairly early on in the testing process, I haven't felt that I'm playing anything distinctly DayZ-esque yet.

Now, it should be said that this isn't meant to ask "Under what criteria do you think DayZ will be complete?" Nor is it meant to ponder the transition from Alpha, to Beta, to Release. I'm talking about the experience. I'm merely curious as to that point in time at which the disparate inclusions of the Alpha actually coalesce into an experience that we can call "DayZ."

For me, it's tents and persistent storage. All I really did in the mod, was go around looting people's tents and it really defined my routine.

For most, I suspect the big factor will be coherent/working/decent zombies.

As a secondary factor, and a novel one at that, I suspect the survival mechanics will also help solidify a new DayZ experience.

It should also be noted, that none of us can really suppose an objective "this is what DayZ should be" mentality, hence why I wanted to ask people's opinions. Nor are any of us in a particular position of knowing what DayZ is from a holistic perspective, as we've always been testing an Alpha and therefore do not know what any given system is intended to be.

But yes, what systems/mechanics/inclusions will make you say "This is now DayZ"?

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 4

Since DayZ was never really about the Zombies and more about the Player Interaction, i would say its DayZ right now. When DayZ starts to set the Zombies in focus, so that they are  a Threat and not just annyoing, than I would say Its the Dayz I want.

• Like 3

Tents/persistant storage

Increaced zombie count

Stamina system

That would probs get me playing more...add...

Vehicles

Finished Map

Infections

And il never look back :)

It just feels like a stripped out dayz still, when a few of the features from the mod make it back in (tents/camps) in particular, it will start to feel a lot more like dayz. People wont be out soley to Kos....well some will....but most combat will be random encounters while you are trying to do something else....stock a tent....get car parts...ect ect :)

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 4

Since DayZ was never really about the Zombies and more about the Player Interaction

This is sort of what I was saying, about not being able to suppose what DayZ is "about."

Zombies haven't been (and weren't a factor in the mod) a factor because they've been poorly implemented, not because of a lack of emphasis.

• Persistence
  • vehicles
  • stamina/weight system 
  • more/smarter(dumber?) zombies
  • greater focus on survival

Expanded map wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by Chompster

When zombies are your first nightmare after the rude environment, shortage of food and unforgiving stamina.

Long way to go but I believe in this.

I think when tents/persistent storage become available it will feel a bit more dayzesque. I also think vehicles and increased zed counts will help with the Dayz feel. I'm not talking about the 1000 vehicle servers but a few cars/trucks, the main bulk of vehicles should be bicycles.

Also reducing the amounts of canned food and drink will give Dayz a more apocalyptic feel as things like canned goods and petrol should start to become scarce and players will have to start learning to survive rather than shooting and looting everything that moves. Now I don't want to remove PvP, just give people more options to survive, alone or in a group and promote bartering amongst players. I realize it happens now but its easier to just kill a player for things needed to survive, that's the only real interaction between players have with each other right now, trading bullets instead of things to get by for another hour/day

When having a half mag in any gun other then those with extremely low magazine capacities (Say, 5) is such a rare prospect that filling up your 300-round ammo box will take years and years of round-the-map looting.

I want to have so little ammo that my shots need to count.

Right now, my shots don't need to count.

I recently found an AKM and a 75 round drum magazine in one trip to the Pavlovo Military base. I have no reason to worry about my shots anymore. I can spray and pray and shoot at everything I see without a worry in the world. In my perfect DayZ, I should have a normal magazine with maybe 12, 14 rounds in it, which would make full-auto sprayfire a bad idea, especially with no mags on standby.

• Like 3

When the SA has the working features that the Vanilla Mod has.

- Persistent storage

- Rare vehicles

- Avoiding starvation is a challenge

• Like 1

When those who hate on the difficulty surpass the number of people hating on all other game features together.

Then we shall truly have DayZ :)

When I get some "decent" frame rates.

I love SA, and I love/loved the mod, but both are utter ass when it comes to rendering. I have a PC that happily shifts Watchdogs around (ok, not at full pelt, but still) yet DayZ struggles to get near the 30 FPS marker anywhere close to a town. That sort of frame rate is not conducive with serious gameplay, more just exploring and generally fucking about. 

However, once the client/server architecture renders me a solid 40+ fps anywhere in the world, THAT is when I will consider the game a game and not just an Alpha. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater, far from it, and I do think that the devs will get their act together regarding the frame rates although it'll be a while yet.

• Like 1

When I able to take off my white vest and jump out plane with parachute It will be dayz. B)  I am rambo.. JOHN JAY...

When I log into the Mod, everytime I think to myself, "This is DayZ." When I log into the early release SA of DayZ I often reflect upon the promise and potential the game has, and I hope that it ends up much like the mod. 

But lately my fear is the focus will be so tuned towards survival, that the PvP element will suffer. Its my opinion that the PvP element is what makes this game so great, the fear of other players and the trust it takes to let your guard down are what bring so much adrenaline and excitement. I rarely get worked up while fighting Zeds. I rarely feel fear or adrenaline unless Im near other players or fearing one has me in his sights. If it ends up being some massive scavenger hunt, survival game that happens to have some slightly annoying Zombies then I dont see myself playing it very often. I play for the social aspect, the interaction between others. I fear them tuning mechanics in the game to try to deter others from killing players, adding in things that throttle the parts of Arma that made me love DayZ. If all of Arma is stripped out of it, and we are left with a simple zombie survival game then the complexity, the adrenaline of DayZ for me will be lost. I dont get into crafting. I mean its a fun aspect, but if its solely crafting.. and I mean it really does come down to that if PvP is diminished, then what incentive do you have to keep playing after you have built a base and stocked up and explored and done it all? I can play games already that have AI to attack me, and things to survive from. I can play FPS games if I want a solely PvP game. But DayZ is currently the only game out there that offers me everything. PvP, exploration, loot finding, survival, Zombies, etc.. When I pull out my rifle, that I spent hours building and getting ammo for, I want to be able to get better at using it over time so that I can rely on my tool to survive. I dont want to just have to accept that the bullet dispersion is going to fuck me no matter what, no matter how skilled I am, so I might as well just never even bother with the gun and go with Melee only. Stay clear of other players and only hunt Zombies and loot. That gets boring fast. Really fast. Oh look I found a car, but what the hell do I need it for if all I am doing is cooking fish and drinking water in the forest? Why do I need a tent if I can carry everything I need to survive on me and guns are fairly useless to stock up on? To summarize it all down to the nitty gritty:

I will feel that DayZ is DAYZ when the weapons work just as well and better than they did in the mods. When I can have an 8x scope that is truly an 8x scope. When bullet dispersion is reasonable, when gunsway is manageable, and when the gunplay is on par with games like Arma and the DayZ mods.. and I say on Par but since this is a from the ground up SA I really would hope that they can do better in the end. I want DayZ to mirror realism as much as possible, while still being fun to play. Fun is defined by each person, but for me if over time my skill cannot be improved upon because the game has mechanics in place to "even the playing field for all levels of gamers" then quite truthfully I dont ever want to play that game. I want a game that is punishing, rewarding, and an excitement to boot up each and every time. Not a pain in the ass, frustration fest that is only geared towards one mind set of play style. I want it all. I want medics, bandits, pilots, mechanics, snipers, psychos, bambis, and some seriously dangerous Zombies. I want more "DayZ moments" and less "You got DayZ'D" experiences.

I have hope though. Albeit, curbed, slightly cautious hope. Not really optimism, more so patience. . . its still hope that I have for this game. Hearing the Devs say, "We arent making this game for everyone. We know there will only be a small core group that is still around by the time we are finished and thats fine. We want a sustainable game that we like to play, not one that everyone else wants to play" ..both inspires me and scares the hell out of me. (That was some heavy paraphrasing by the way there, Im not taking the time to look that shit up.. someone else can post the proper quote if they want.) It scares me because it says in a sly way that they could give a fuck less about us consumers, and just look at the little things they have done to support that theory.. On the other hand it says we have a vision and not a single person or all of them together can change that, we want to make what we want to play and anyone else can go suck it. That is beautiful, just as long as they remember that our money and dedication put them in a position to actually make that damn game. I really hope they dont forget that.. ever. 

• Like 3

- Zombies are a threat thanks to their number/features, not because of clitching/laggyness

- All survival aspects present

- Cities/towns mean loot, but are contaminated by diseases - risk factor and thing you need to prepare for, not your casual shopping trip

- Persistance in world: camps, character traits, leveling? Something to survive for and small things that make you care about your character

• Like 1

When everything feels consistent.

Every single thing from the damage model to the way loot works is all over the place at the moment nothing at all is consistent.

You have civilian magazines spawning in military loot locations, a weird damage model that leaves you scratching your head sometimes,strange player movement speed among other things.

When everything gels with each other and the game follows a general feel then I will consider it dayz.

• Like 2

what systems/mechanics/inclusions will make you say "This is now DayZ"?

It will be 'DayZ' when they add the chopper

DayZ to me was always about the 3 way interaction between Survivor/Bandit/Zombie. While ultimatly the emphasis is on the player interaction, the Zombies an defining enviromental element, they decide how this game experience will play out and feel. they cant be ignored without detriment to the overall product

I would say that the zombies need to be a

• Threat to people with firearms - So respond to loud noises - gunfire etc, To make bandits make meaningful decisions about when and where to attack people, Also make people question the logic "shoot first ask questions later" Not as a punishment for doing so I might add, more as a deliberate decision, Do I know how many zed's are nearby? will anyone else hear? should I back off and catch them coming out of town? do we job them in the town with quieter weapons? - At present that decision making process isnt there.

• Threat to people without firearms - Deadly enough in melee combat to be a problem (bleeding, infection, other nasty effects) so that scavenger types have to tread carefully, Do I know where to run without triggering more Zeds? Will that expose me to bandits nearby on the hills? If I get hit where will I find aid?

• Facilitate engaging interaction between Survior/Bandit encounters - After all this is what the game is about, once the zombies can function as a meaningful element to the experience then the game will be better because of it.

I'd like to see reasons to collaborate and do stuff other than survive, previously people had goals that they could achieve such as build/repair a vehicle or a helicopter if you had the parts. Something to complete would be cool, even if it had no ingame mechanical benefit. Its the element of surviving long enough to see a piece of work come to completion, depsite the odds.

But this needs a stable method of storing things between resets, something that they have been working on for some time

Once these two elements are in place, and stable I would say this is now DayZ

Thats my personal opinion anyway, cheers for reading.

Good Luck and Have Fun

Edited by Survivor_Spark
  • Like 1

When i die from a group of zombies, because i made a wrong decision and looted a town without being careful.

• Like 2