jamiereid_wow@hotmail.co.uk

Has Anyone Else lost Faith in Dayz?

So like most of you I was pretty excited about the 0.45 patch hitting stable servers; and like some of you I played it on experimental a while back for 3 days to experience the new content. Needless to say the experiental was rife with issues that lower the quality of the experience; the constant dysnc being the main problem; but that was fine tbh. It was experimental after all and these things are expected. I had a good time and the game felt a little closer to that Dayz magic we loved from the mod some years ago.

What really disappointed me today after playing stable to experience the new content was the lack of any changes made to patch before it was released on stable servers. The dsync is still a big issue, and after 2 hours it just got to the point where I wasn't sure why I was continuing to play this game. If i didn't know any better I would assume no attempt to correct some of the known issues about the patch have been made to the content in the month or so it has been available on experimental. It's as if they knew the dsync would continue to be a game breaking issue but decided to push it on to stable servers anyway. i just don't see the logic in that. This combined with issues that have plagued the game since the mod; such as zeds spotting you when you know the really shouldn't or landing a hit on you when again you know it was an impossibility. These are problems that are over 2 years old yet here we are still experiencing them. 2 years on and im still getting hit by a zombie through the floor of the room below.

Does anyone honestly believe the 2 zed issue's I just mentioned will ever be fixed?

A better question would be do you believe the developers even know how to fix them?

I just feel like Dayz will always feel like modules that has been glued together and will play as smoothly as something can that has been given that design approach; instead of content that fits together as a jigsaw puzzle that was designed so each piece fits together perfectly without breaking the surrounding pieces it touches. When more new content is added I now ask myself what the colateral damage will be to the entire game structure.

We all know when new content/code is added to a game, it is innevitable that it will conflict with the existing material, and thus unforeseen bugs/glitches occur. I just feel that perhaps due to the nature of the the core mechanics that govern the sturcture of the game; the new pieces that are added will never truely fit.

Anyone else losing faith, or do you think the game will one day run as smoothly as we hope in all the key areas; old and new?

Im very worried about the impact of adding vehicles will have to quality of a already broken alpha.

(p.s. - I know its alpha, please don't start with that. I want to see the game succeed in terms of critical reception as much as the rest of you and the Dayz team) 

Edited by Chiefo69
  • Like 15

I haven't lost faith.  I have a blast with this game.

If they closed the doors tomorrow, I would still feel like I got more than my money's worth out of it.

• Like 14

I'm havin a ball.. Z's will be fixed in time.. just got an update pushed out (late or not I don't care) haven't experienced rubber banding at all since it went to stable.. nothing to bitch about except the same ole shit that's gonna be fixed in time anyway.

losing patience.. sometimes. faith.. no.

• Like 1

I definitely feel like I got my money's worth; I just don't feel like I got the experience that could be possible. The fixing off the two zed issues I mentioned above alone would make me want to play the game much more regularly.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I've lost faith I just don't see why they took so long to release this patch and it's still broken...

How many people are in the team? Because it sure seems like there's only one guy doing the programming, it would be nice if they sent the art guys and everyone else on holiday and just hired some good programmers to come in and fix as much as they can. I don't care about new stuff so much as it actually being playable.

Crashing to desktop happened to me maybe like 1 in 10 times I played but now it's like 9 in 10.

• Like 4

I lost faith in the community for losing faith in the devs so quickly.  

• Like 13

Clearly something went wrong in terms of expections, the price etc...rocket has said so himself.

Give it time. I will loose faith if in another six months they have not met the goals they set out to hit. They have repeatly stated for a long time that Q4 of this year is make or break time. If they havn't made most of the fixes you mentioned within a year gg.

They way the game is going is positive and I hope for a long bright future.

Edited by Trizzo

Nope.

In it for the long haul.

• Like 6

Because it sure seems like there's only one guy doing the programming,

Made me lol

If your crashing all the time I would suggest getting a SSD harddrive, changing your graphics driver to one known to be more stable for your card, or playing around with your PC.DayzProfile config file. Try reducing things like sceneComplexity, viewDistance, preferredObjectViewDistance, and setting things like shadowZDistance to 0.
Edited by Chiefo69
  • Like 1

Haven't lost faith but it is disappointing to see obvious bugs go onto stable, after the patch was on experimental so long.  Such as the shotgun still shooting a single pellet, or the blue glow/haze I seemed to be getting in my inventory.  Haven't played a whole lot yet, but stuff that's so obvious like that I just don't really understand how it gets through.

• Like 1

Because it sure seems like there's only one guy doing the programming,

Made me lol

If your crashing all the time I would suggest getting a SSD harddrive, changing your graphics driver to one known to be more stable for your card, or playing around with your PC.DayzProfile config file. Try reducing things like sceneComplexity, viewDistance, preferredObjectViewDistance, and setting things like shadowZDistance to 0.

The game ran fine before I could handle the infrequent crashes but now I can't play for more than half an hour before it crashes to the desktop while zombies are chasing me, I don't even have my graphics or anything set to high and my computer can handle them anyway.

At the pace things get fixed it definitely only seems like one guy is working on it, Beta is supposed to be the "fix what you broke" stage but where is the "fix what was already broken and has been for years" stage?

• Like 2

Well you can't please everyone. If the devs held the patch back they'd have all the people complaining that they've lost faith because of lack of patch.

So, to put it simply, the dev's can't win, because there are always going to be community members who make debbie downer threads about how they've given up, no matter what the circumstances are. Just let the devs do their thing, and worry about the finished product, if you aren't happy with the state of play, go play something else and come back later. 

• Like 3

Sorry, I didn't realise games had bugs. I'm glad all that beta testing that was done on Battlefield 4 worked.

We need more great minds like you, would you mind helping with the game in your spare time?

Just remember they are trying to focus on fixing issues that involve the actual functionality of the game currently and not content. 

Although I agree this patch is a failure, it will be salvaged. I expected the desync or be better, I can hardly actually pvp. Maybe that will change the most when 64 bit servers are done?

I also thought zombie pathing might be in this one, hopefully the next one though.

Haven't lost faith though. I've only been playing for a month, so we will see in about 3-6 months then I can give an actual educated answer.

was the lack of any changes made to patch before it was released on stable servers

jackie_chan_sharks.jpg

Changes to the patch would require more testing, which would require it to not be pushed to stable. It is on experimental to be tested before it is pushed to stable for the masses. Making large scale changes to the patch somewhere between experimental and stable would essentially render the point of experimental moot.

Either way, no. This patch actually reinvigorated my faith after the horrors of Berezino M4 deathmatch. The fact that I can sit in the woods, kill animals, pick fruit, cook meat, and catch fish has me incredibly excited for the future.

Edited by Hells High
  • Like 3

I had the idea to play some DayZ after a few months to see if it had changed any and I see there's been maybe one or two updates, zombies still run through walls, and there aren't any forms of storage after 6 months so I'm gonna go watch TV or something instead.

Surely didn't have much faith before, surely don't have much faith after.

• Like 5

The mod seems to be better to me at this phase. For now I've just been waiting for the Standalone to continue it's development. I just feel like the alpha version of DayZ Standalone is just an improved and more modified version of the mod.

The Standalone was only released because of it's high demand from the consumers and it's an opportunity for them to continue development while players get to provide feedback and improve the game even more.

Edited by TIC321

Such a long written heartfelt thread.

If you only spent as much time researching what dayz is at the moment vs what it is being developed into, youd have some more understanding.

And you keep saying 2 years.....  HUH?

The game has been out 6 months, ... are you comparing the SA to the mod, i just dont get what youre saying...

In fact this whole post is just.....

/facepalm

the main issue im havbing right now is the lack of M4s/Mosins and the overhaul of AK bits and ammo yet no AK itself! i miss my M4 and mosin=(

Keep in mind what I'm about to say is my own opinion and not facts.

I love DayZ and I love that it started all the different survival apoclayspe genres. I played hundreds of hours on DayZ mod and SA but I am quickly losing faith in the devs and this game. The development is so slow and the engine that DayZ uses is so horrible. I looking very much further toward other upcoming games like H1Z1. Where they have things in game that DayZ won't have until the end of or even the next year. At least in H1Z1 I can look forward too massive servers supporting up and over 1000 players while DayZ can barely support 40. Vehicles and base building will all be available to me when the game is released in early access in a couple of weeks. Rather then months. If the devs want to be able to keep DayZ alive they better kick it up a notch and hire some more coders so it dosen't seem like a 1 man development team.  

• Like 1

go Play H1Z1 than....geez...*what a uninformed, trollish shitpost*

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

go Play H1Z1 than....geez...*what a uninformed shitpost*

seems the uninformed trolls are out for a feast today

I would but sadly its not out yet. *Shrugs*

• Like 2

mhhh..what else is there than ? "7 days to die" ? ...or try Project zomboid..that one rocks :D