Sign in to follow this  
Shrub Rocketeer ™

WHY are the big buildings not big?

some building are perfect size like farm ones and the sheds and some house is good and aprtments and airport hangars but the school is only enough big to teach 6 mijits and in the classroom there is no space for desk

the worse one is the hospital what is smaller than my house what I live in where is the wards with beds in rows and medical gear like air breathing tanks and nurse office??? one time I went to the hospital when my mum died from cancer and the hospital was so big we got lost for 2 hours try to find the right ward, we only found it after a doctor explained we were in the wrong wing and we had to walk 1/2 kilometre in a corridor to find the good one and this hospital is average not the biggest like in the city!!!!

come on guys make big buildings like hospitals and schools proper BIG so we can get lost sometimes and enjoy to explore  also make some houses have more rooms nobody lives in houses like some in dayz that have only a table and a bed

First of all, it's not a school, its more of an office building.  Second, not all hospitals can be mega structure or are the same. Are you talking about the new clinics they added in recent patches or the hospitals that have been in since the mod?  I think your First Worlder credentials are showing.  I've got a fairly nice house and (before the addons) it only had 5 rooms (bath, kitchen, living (also a 'mud room' but that was more of an entry), 2 bedrooms) and was expected to house 2 families.  Chenarus is a poor, rural country that at best is a second world country.

• Like 5

Chenarus is a poor, rural country that at best is a second world country.

This is pretty much the answer to this post. Also, Chernaraus is based on the Czech Republic.

Watch this video, & you'll see exactly how Chernaraus came to be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLhCNEpcPO4

• Like 2

now ppl complain about building size ? OMG I have seen all 

• Like 1

This is pretty much the answer to this post. Also, Chernaraus is based on the Czech Republic.

Watch this video, & you'll see exactly how Chernaraus came to be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLhCNEpcPO4

Silence! Chernarus is GEOGRAPHICALLY based, but that's it. It's an independent country with it's own traits. Don't EVER compare it to the Czech Republic.

Finally a complaint that can't be solved with the word "alpha" haha

• Like 2

some building are perfect size like farm ones and the sheds and some house is good and aprtments and airport hangars but the school is only enough big to teach 6 mijits and in the classroom there is no space for desk

the worse one is the hospital what is smaller than my house what I live in where is the wards with beds in rows and medical gear like air breathing tanks and nurse office??? one time I went to the hospital when my mum died from cancer and the hospital was so big we got lost for 2 hours try to find the right ward, we only found it after a doctor explained we were in the wrong wing and we had to walk 1/2 kilometre in a corridor to find the good one and this hospital is average not the biggest like in the city!!!!

come on guys make big buildings like hospitals and schools proper BIG so we can get lost sometimes and enjoy to explore  also make some houses have more rooms nobody lives in houses like some in dayz that have only a table and a bed

DUDE THEY NEED TO SAVE THAT SPACE FOR THE CUPCAKES!! GAWD DIDN'T YOU KNOW?!!! *Flips tables and rolls away*

I actually agree with this..

School/Office building, doesn't matter.. The office building/school is small. The hospital especially, is small.. Even when considering the hallways/rooms which are blocked off, I would really like to see ALL of the rooms in all of the buildings be enterable.. There should be no "unenterable" buildings. Even if it took an axe or other method of entry to open the door/window, there should be a way to enter.

1. It's more realistic

2. It's more immersive.

3. It adds more tactical options. (Hiding spots, escape routes, ambushes, etc)

4. There's no reason not to do it, other than laziness. (Not saying the Devs are lazy.. they are plenty busy.. Just that in the future it would be a nice addition and it wouldn't cost them anything but time, and it would add a lot to the game.)

)

Before you foo-foo this post, go back and play DayZ mod where only a handful of buildings can be entered.. Now go to a town like.. Oh I dunno... MSTA or Staroye.. See how boring/lame it is, then go to the same town in DayZ SA and notice how much more it feels like an actual town that you can explore/loot. 

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 6

i really hope we do see more enterable rooms and buildings,. because i want to have to fear buildings more, and currently, with hospital for example, theres 1 set of windows on 1 side that you have to actually check,

the apartment blocks are cool i guess. i love chapaevsk, just hope for smoother gameplay in the built up areas..

i want to have to check the tower on teh temple and the churches for snipers, etc. the way the buildings are big, but the enterable space is small is a shame, even tho of course theyre still miles better than any other online game (while bf2 project reality had some cool maps and buildings)

Edited by qww

Out of interest, is there an upper limit to the size of building possible within the current engine?

In this same vein, some of the buildings need to be reworked as far as scale is considered.  In several buildings I've noticed (in 3rd person view) that my head easily clips the top of the doorway.

• Like 1

In this same vein, some of the buildings need to be reworked as far as scale is considered.  In several buildings I've noticed (in 3rd person view) that my head easily clips the top of the doorway.

The school especially is difficult to even move in.. the hallways and doorways are so tiny it's like moving around in a building made for midgets, where you often get stuck in a door and can't escape without some difficulty.

• Like 1

To be fair ever since the SA was released the size/ratio of the person compared to the insides of buildings has been wrong. It was less of an issue with the mod, but now every building can be entered it's very obvious. I never play 3PP (because lamecore is for pussies.. :P ) but with 1PP you feel like Alice when she's eat the cake.

The school especially is difficult to even move in.. the hallways and doorways are so tiny it's like moving around in a building made for midgets, where you often get stuck in a door and can't escape without some difficulty.

Even taking into consideration what I mentioned above and the aspect ratio of the person versus the insides of buildings, I actually don't mind the difficulty in getting in and out of doorways as this is because you are wearing a backpack. If you aren't the problems are nowhere as bad. I'm not sure how many players have actually spent time with backpacks on in real life, but I've done a fair bit of travelling and those things are bloody awkward to navigate with. Knocking something over, banging against a doorway or having trouble leaving a doorway is just a way of life! 

• Like 2

To be fair ever since the SA was released the size/ratio of the person compared to the insides of buildings has been wrong. It was less of an issue with the mod, but now every building can be entered it's very obvious. I never play 3PP (because lamecore is for pussies.. :P ) but with 1PP you feel like Alice when she's eat the cake.

Even taking into consideration what I mentioned above and the aspect ratio of the person versus the insides of buildings, I actually don't mind the difficulty in getting in and out of doorways as this is because you are wearing a backpack. If you aren't the problems are nowhere as bad. I'm not sure how many players have actually spent time with backpacks on in real life, but I've done a fair bit of travelling and those things are bloody awkward to navigate with. Knocking something over, banging against a doorway or having trouble leaving a doorway is just a way of life! 

The doorways are still too small.. Backpacks aren't an excuse. I have problems getting in and out of rooms (in the school) as a fresh spawn. 

• Like 1

The doorways are still too small.. Backpacks aren't an excuse. I have problems getting in and out of rooms (in the school) as a fresh spawn. 

The assets were imported retextures of arma 2 models - they didn't even change the dimensions.

a lot of guys saying what I was saying and agree some buildings are WAY TOO SMALL for realisticness and some are ok and also like one guy says why is not all house and room enterabled?

even a small school in a village will be bigger than dayz school building by 300% and even the small hospital in a poor country will have room for more than 2 beds this is obvious and I don't try to say bad things about the game because I love the game but come on lets be realist here the buildings are sometimes too small for the characters.

SO MAKE CHARACTERS SMALLER

this is genius because it fix the building problems and MAKES THE MAP BIGGER as a bonus thing so we can make the map and buildings better with one easy step

Silence! Chernarus is GEOGRAPHICALLY based, but that's it. It's an independent country with it's own traits. Don't EVER compare it to the Czech Republic.

I'm pretty sure that he meant geographically, and geographically some of it is pretty damn close...

ScIEtrL.jpg

2hhK1h.jpg

jMIDSg7.jpg

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 2

Out of interest, is there an upper limit to the size of building possible within the current engine?

There really isn't, most of the bigger buildings are modular anyway, so if you wanted to build something massive, you would just build it in various parts and put it together when you planned the level out, like the TV tower and some of the bigger factories and mills you see.  The only limit as I understand it is the machines that will be playing the game, if you have great big buildings with lots of detail then it could cause some performance problems, but since I've seen how much detail in in the high rises I began to wonder just how serious a problem that really was.

Edited by daringd

i understood the OP as referring to the overall size of the building - gross floor area, number of floors etc..

here is one of the largest pediatric hospitals in Moscow, photographed in 2013. so its entirely believable that hospitals in rural areas are sized as presented in the game

hospital.jpg

Edited by e47
  • Like 3

It's because it isn't a school, but rather an office building.

The walkable interior might be small, but the hospital isn't.  And my condolances for your mother, I've been there with other family members.

More walkable interior definitely would be cool.

You don't have to yell. & I meant geographically & architecturally.

For what it's worth, I will continue to compare Chernaraus to the Czech Republic.

As someone else said not all hospitals are mega structures, i grew up in a small town (probably still bigger then the "city" of Elektro though) and the hospital was a small 20 bed building with 2 beds per most rooms.

There is a chance that not being able to be enter everything is a performance thing. If (not sure how many the cities would have, just a random number) you had 100 buildings in a town and each building had 1 room you couldn't enter that's alot of extra stuff the engine doesn't need to render. Extra walls, window frames, textures, props all add up, especially when you have as much on screen with as long a view distance as in dayz.

Edited by meiz22

Yeah I have noticed it myself, practically all buildings are too small. For example commie blocks, yes, people lived in tiny appartements with one room, a kitchen and a bathroom, I lived in it myself, but still the size is too small. School is very tiny. Seriously it is like designed for midgets. The scale should be like 1.5x times higher at least. Of all buildings.