Sign in to follow this  
pistaaaa

Randomize the map.

Yep, like the title says. It would be awesome to have randomized maps. The ingame map would be actually helpful, and knowing the map by heart wouldn't be the key skill in the game. Everyone's using some kind of outside map, i use the izurvive app on a tablet. 
Without that the game would be actually pretty hard.

• Like 1

Just gonna point out, that if you play long enough, you don't need maps.. I can get Almost anywhere without using one.. On roads or through forests.. However, I have too many hours in mod and sa..

Edited by Preach
  • Like 5

This isn't minecraft. I can promise you there will never be randomly generated maps.

Edited by Beck

Sorry this idea is not that good making things random is not allways good just look at daylight

The ingame map would be actually helpful, and knowing the map by heart wouldn't be the key skill in the game. 

How is that a bad thing?

• Like 1

While chopping down trees and crafting bows have been added in Experimental 0.45......

This ain't no Minecraft, kiddo.

How 'random' are we talking here?  Every restart the map changes, every server being different?  Not gonna happen.  I know the map pretty good from experience, as I'm sure you know you're home town's layout from experience.  That said, I still get lost in game as I don't know the entire layout of the map.

If you had been learning from scratch to make own missions since Arma 1, you'd know that it is not possible to randomize the map (except editor placed object like cars).

If they Randomised the map then the ingame one would be incorrect

Nope. The map could be chopped off into equal sized slices and shuffled, and a new ingame map could be generated. Or somenoe could just manually redesign the map on a weekly basis.

How 'random' are we talking here?  Every restart the map changes, every server being different?  Not gonna happen.  I know the map pretty good from experience, as I'm sure you know you're home town's layout from experience.  That said, I still get lost in game as I don't know the entire layout of the map.

I was thinking about a new one generated weekly.

Just gonna point out, that if you play long enough, you don't need maps.. I can get Almost anywhere without using one.. On roads or through forests.. However, I have too many hours in mod and sa..

That's the point. I think being disoriented is a key aspect of the game.

If you had been learning from scratch to make own missions since Arma 1, you'd know that it is not possible to randomize the map (except editor placed object like cars).

I don't think it would be easy, but definately possible. Maybe a new one generated weekly or monthly and updated via Steam.

Of course respawning on a different map would be problematic.

You mean a procedurally generated map?

Come back in the year 2020.

No Mans Sky begs to pardon. But thats of course a whole different cup of tea.

@OP interesting idea, but not feasible for DayZ. A map is quite a complex thing, and many game features depend on it. There may be ways of doing it, procedural or not (see Diablo 3 map randomization) but not in DayZ.

Weekly? With the games development speed atm thats a joke

Why? I think it could be done by one man within a couple of hours. The game would be much harder and much less of a routine chore. Sticking to roads would actually make sense, and the ingame map would be useful, Right now you can identify your location within minutes, thus allowing you to head to the nearest airport and gear up ridiculously fast.

I think it could be done by one man within a couple of hours.

I think a program could be written to instantly create a map pretty easily actually, considering that the game has to know where roads/hills/cities/etc go to render them.  The problem with this idea is the 'randomly generated' part.  I haven't worked with the game engine for DayZ, but I have worked with others, and they are generally pretty inflexible when it comes to a lot of things.  It would likely take years to create a random map generator that would produce believable landscapes and city layouts.

I think a better solution would be to have several maps to play DayZ in.  Chernarus is a really cool place to visit and all, but as others have pointed out it's not so huge that you can't learn it.  I mean, even after just a week or two you should know where all the major cities are as well as the best drop spots for weapons.  I know it's easy to get lost in the woods, especially when the sun is rising in the South, but as soon as you find a town sign you know right where you are.

I'm definitely not saying that the devs should be worrying about this now, but after the game comes out it would be nice to see a new map or two come out as DLC.  Maybe one on an island like Hawaii and another in the Australian outback.

Of course, if they put out a map editor and allow private 'hives' then we can just make our own.

• Like 1

Not completely random but semi-random would be nice. This means randomizing some of the following:

- helicopter crash sites (got those in experimental)

- wells (only some of the current locations)

- trees and bushes (some deviation in exact position and type)

- buildings (types and sometimes rotation)

- deer stands (similar to wells but more common)

- spawns (players, animals and zombies)

and things I did not think about yet.

The point is to have the same map on a macroscopic level (so the ingame map holds) but its different on a microscopic level.