Sign in to follow this  
leefriendfield

Why do you play DayZ?

I want to understand people's want to play this game. I really enjoy it I love this game I just want to understand why other people really enjoy it as well. Why do you play DayZ?

Getting in firefights where theres no hud, minimap, bullet count, regenerating health, etc... I like how tacticle this game requires you to be.

• Like 2

I play DayZ because it's one of the only shooters out there that doesn't propaganda how great the US army is.  

Also, I like the whole survival aspect as I don't play DayZ  like CoD, I play it to see how long I can survive with what I can scavenge.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 9

I used to play DayZ for the challenge of surviving, but yeah, there's not a whole lot of difficulty at this stage of the game. Until it's finished, I'll just be reporting bugs that I come across while trolling people hard in various ways for my own amusement.

• Like 10

I play for the enjoyment of being able to be a raw human. By raw human, I mean without the constraints of a society. there are no laws, no rules, just like it would be for real. And i enjoy the fact that any scenario I want can be played out, in a semi realistically manner. The fact that its fun comes second. 

• Like 3

I'm a sadistic soab who is a nobody IRL and has to compensate it in game by torturing and verbally raping people ( i don't even have the balls to do that IRL so i do it anonymously in game )

• Like 4

Because I've been obsessed with zombie apocalypses since I saw Night of the Living Dead when I was 6 or 7. That was why I started anyway. Now I play because of the intense moments and to spite the bastards that nail me in the back of the head with a xbow bolt whilst I marvel at a soda can in the back of a police car.

• Like 1

I play this game in the hopes of getting that zombie experience we were given as a MAIN pitch to the game repeatedly by Dean and other ppl quoted on being the end all be all zombie/infected game. I still have yet to experience it.

The unpredictability. In the mod, every encounter with a random survivor was different from the last. Player interactions in the standalone have become stagnant and overly consistent. I just can't understand the players that will spend an entire afternoon server hopping and duping just so they can log 30 minutes of corner peeking pvp in berezino.

Other games do tactical pvp so much better than dayz, yet the majority of this community plays dayz exclusively for the fps pvp element.

• Like 5

The unpredictability. In the mod, every encounter with a random survivor was different from the last. Player interactions in the standalone have become stagnant and overly consistent. I just can't understand the players that will spend an entire afternoon server hopping and duping just so they can log 30 minutes of corner peeking pvp in berezino.

Other games do tactical pvp so much better than dayz, yet the majority of this community plays dayz exclusively for the fps pvp element.

That's because there is absolutely zero survival elements in the game right now.  The pvp aspect has been tested for months, it's works.  Now it's time to move on from that and test surviving but until the devs get their shit together it's still going to be a pvp fuckfest.   Hopefully in the next few months we'll see survival slowly get implemented.

• Like 5

I play DayZ SA mostly to test its features and help out in the development. I started to play DayZ mod 2 years ago when it came out because I liked the open world and absence of restraining objectives. I really enjoy light role play and DayZ gives me this possibility. Also, for me it's the closest thing to the "zombie apocalypse" experience I' m trying to find. I play other games similar to this (Project Zomboid, The Dead Linger, 7 Days to Die, Infestation Survivor Stories, Dangerous Rays, Nether, etc.) and I like this genre. But for me, the environment in DayZ is the most "authentic" when it comes to nature and architecture.

We'll see how it turns out in the end, but for now it's heading in the right direction in my opinion. The firefights are intense, granted, but I don't play for PVP, as there's already thousands of games out there made for that. To each his own.

Edited by Odin Lowe

i think this game is as difficult as you make it, sure you can move through cherno without dying, but you also can get your whole squad killed without even knowing who got you or how. it just depends where you go, and how you play.

anyway thats what i like doin on thsi game, is just moving through the map, always on full servers, i pass though the airfields and bases, go through towns, whatever. moving and clearing is difficult if your doing it properly, identifying targets not shooting on sight, and i enjoy that, sometimes it feels like theres noone around, then you take fire, and your in the worst possible position, and you dont know where it was from, and pressure is on then. it is excitgn stuff, and the randomness and it not being constant fighting, just makes it even better

• Like 1

I've always wanted to travel the land selling/giving fruit to those in need.  DayZ made that possible for me.

you could...ermm like..outside...

on OT...

i just wait for dirty water, sickness, forced nighttime on all gamemodes, weight dean taken into account, achitectual improovments on the engine, loottables, scarcity, need for hunt *besides other humans*, ect, ect... and so on...it is a bumpy road, but, smooth roads are boring ( trust me, we invented the autobahn, altho, without speedimits on many parts of it...)

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

I'm here for the chance to imagine being alive in such a situation, the foreboding and deserted landscape for me creates an incredibly eerie atmosphere... The zombies will add to that when they are finished and present in proper numbers. I'm afraid that other players to me are just a fascinating inconvenience, too much of a risk to approach but not enough of a risk to kill. 

• Like 1

you could...ermm like..outside...

on OT...

i just wait for dirty water, sickness, forced nighttime on all gamemodes, weight dean taken into account, achitectual improovments on the engine, loottables, scarcity, need for hunt *besides other humans*, ect, ect... and so on...it is a bumpy road, but, smooth roads are boring ( trust me, we invented the autobahn, altho, without speedimits on many parts of it...)

It was meant to be humorous.  Don't take it literally.

BTW for all the survival aspects you seem to want in this game "you could... ermm like... outside."

I was going to stop playing, but eventually I found out that in certain epoch servers, you could gut other players and eat them.

Then I never stopped.

Earned the title of Bandit Cannibal Overlord on the server I played on, but I stopped playing on that server, and I try to be neutral now. I can't play bandit. Makes me feel awful.

cannibalism_by_awesometomb-d63205s.jpg

• Like 1

BTW for all the survival aspects you seem to want in this game "you could... ermm like... outside."

is not only what i WANT it is what this game will hopefully be..is how it will be implented...it *hopefully* will be alot harder and unforgiving after the main engine fixes are done and one can specualte on loottbales and sickness mechanics..*and i hope they take alot more inspiration from project zomboid.. :D *

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

time to implement the propper mechanics :D

HEY FOLKS COOKING IS IN *swoosh, gets choped into chunky pieces*

The initial appeal of DayZ for me was the open sandboxyness.  It reminded me a bit of the feeling I used to get when playing UO, even though they're completely different genres, and I'd been waiting a long time for another game to capture that.  I like the direction the SA is headed, but at the moment things are admittedly pretty dull.  I do still enjoy the pvp, but it's in a shitty spot.

The reason I still play is primarily for the friends I've made.  I rarely play solo any more, so it's more about just goofing off and having fun.  When stuff gets more fleshed out I could probably see myself playing the game for the sake of the game again, and working on stuff solo.  Like building a base and what not.

I play because they make me (points at the light bulb) and only way to stop them shouting!

also loved survival game since I was a kid (like xenomorph 1980, on the Amiga)

The mod was fine in the early vanilla stages, but when the huge mods that started coming in and essentially turning it into ArmA sandbox w/ zombies and hunger, that's when (a lot of) people lost the insight for interaction. However, I will say that those mods are great fun, just not how I (and I use that word strongly) envision DayZ. Still, I'm not going to take some high-horse role on either side; I'm not a forum king who insists that the game needs to be as hard and realistic as possible within the bounds of reality and that modding should be prohibited to the fullest extent, but I'm also not really fond of having people building skyscrapers from four boards of plywood or fixing A-10s from helicopter rotors.

I have had plenty of good player encounters in both the mod and standalone, and actually moreso in the standalone as everything is vanilla at the moment and there are a lot more player interaction-based features in the game than there are in the mod. But I think the reason we've got a lot of PvP in the game right now is because of a lack of things to do. Once you get geared up, you've tried all of the features and explored most of the map, the only thing left to do is go and look for other people.

Do you have to kill them (or have to do that at all?) No, but the game can get stagnant otherwise.

What needs to be done is (in the long term, I'd rather the devs spend their time on making a good system than try to force it onto the game quickly and have it end up not working, or working horribly if it does);

A) Make gear rarer and harder to get as well as accumulate.

• Lower the spawn rates of most gear, but increase the amount of locations it can spawn in. This would mean searching for gear would be harder and slow down server hoppers. These would also allow players to utilize fishing & hunting, which are rarely used at the moment.
  • Randomize where loot can spawn a bit more. Not to the point of finding M4A1s in random barns, but a lot of the exclusive stuff makes no sense at the moment, such as Sporter-22 mags only spawning in military bases.
  • Increase the chance of finding broken/damaged loot and add more ways of fixing them. That way you're not instantly ready to go after you've picked up something, but you're also not screwed if you find something broken.
  • Increase the strength and prevalence of zombies. I'm not an advocate of forcing the zombies to be 100% more dangerous than players in terms of combat, but they need to be more than an inconvenience when encountered. This should probably wait until the zombies get better pathfinding.
  • Implement the centralized loot system. Goes hand-in-hand with the first reason, but this would make sure that some items only exist in limited quantities. Say the devs really want to add a PK machinegun; it would obviously get a lot of flak from a lot of people who don't want DayZ to become a military game. They could alleviate it by having only 100 PKMs on all public servers (of many thousands of players).

B)(Damn forums) Implement further end-game features (and features in general)

• Vehicles, everything; Cars, trucks, bikes, vans, pickups, motorcycles, ATVs, ultra-light aircraft, helicopters, airplanes, etc. Make sure vehicles can accommodate group & lone-wolf playstyles, and make parts as well as fuel rare. A new driving & flying system would also be great, so that the controls have to be learned. What group could resist fixing up a truck? Vehicles are an important factor in gameplay and people would definitely make good use of them
  • Bases, although they need to be done carefully. Games like The Forest are a good inspiration to look at, alongside the use of some machined parts would be a good addition. Makeshift shelters, tents, small shanty shacks, and even log cabins are feasible. Make it so you can build wooden or metal fences. Having the ability to barricade yourself in buildings would be nice, too. High-level things could include small generators to power floodlights or even pre-apocalypse technology.
  • More new locations. There's a vast sea that takes up a huge expanse of the map. It would not hurt at all to add a few islands and possibly other areas out at sea. The devs should ensure that swimming to these locations is essentially impossible; you'll need a boat to get there (makeshift or fueled, your choice). The devs mentioned adding a prison, as well as the island of Utes to the map a while ago, and those give a good idea of where to go. (Utes may be pushing it, as it was canonically much further out to sea than the map shows). These spots could also be where most military/high-valued loot spawns, in order to prevent people from running straight to a base on spawn (highlighted because it's important)

These aren't perfect solutions, as the real factor that they give off is just dragging on the amount of time it takes to get good gear, but a lot of the people who do PvP don't like waiting and slow-paced gameplay, so they'd either learn to deal with it or go somewhere else. Yes, it would still exist, but you'd end up seeing less of it overall.

Just some of my insight, ;)

Edited by Chaingunfighter
  • Like 1