stielhandgranate

Ammo Calibration : Poll & Discussion

Do you care if ingame weapons fire the correct ammo or not?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care if ingame weapons fire the correct ammo or not?

• Yes, give all guns the correct ammo
    • No, it does not particularly matter

My god. You people have no ground to stand on so you exaggerate and say over the top things. Your stupid rant has nothing to do with ammunition calibers is totally unrelated and pretty fucking stupid comparison.  

I was talking about BOOTZ dude, what makes you think I was talking about ammo?

lolz

• Like 1

Christ.. it's not like they're gonna make shotgun shells fit the magnum or use 9mm in the sks

• Like 2

My god. You people have no ground to stand on so you exaggerate and say over the top things. Your stupid rant has nothing to do with ammunition calibers is totally unrelated and pretty fucking stupid comparison.  

Actually, I think Pilgrim made a fairly good comparison on the scene that is happening with ammunition calibers. To those who cares about different ammo they care a lot, to those who doesn't, its just a lot of fuss over nothing like shoe sizes ( no one is arguing for different shoe sizes). "Realism" as its used in the forums is just a grey area of how much of this game/simulation people want to relate to real life ( which is different from perspectives). Only productive argument is really where to draw the line of  game and simulation(Realistic) so that it won't break immersion, that would make the most sense to implement and accomodate everyones agreements.

Yet no one is giving much of a reason for either side, so I think the devs could be right that the work involved to implement extra ammo would not be worth the time. Comparing to spending said time on other more important parts of the game.

Edited by Coltz
  • Like 2

Very disappointing on multiple levels. More disappointed in the devs than in the game itself actually. Seemingly a little thing, well, let's say not huge, but for some reason it matters a lot to me. It is far worse than all the bugs and rubberbandings put together. The reason for that it is not because of devs incompetence (which I hope they will overcome) but a decision on their part. It is like they hurting me on purpose, not by accident and this is so much worse. For me this is one of those straws that eventually break the camel's back.

Yet no one is giving much of a reason for either side, so I think the devs could be right that the work involved to implement extra ammo would not be worth the time. Comparing to spending said time on other more important parts of the game.

Lots of good reasons for it to be implemented correctly. I want it for gameplay reasons not realism. More ammo types means less chance of finding your desired ammo type, which means I must move around the map more, scavenging and looking. Katana also created a great post about how to implement it properly.

• Like 2

If half of you people cared THIS much about real issues then we'd all live in a better world that's for sure!!!

AT the end of the day It's a game you utter plebs and no game will ever be completely realistic. If you want total realism you'll have to go outside every once in a while, or if you want realistic weaponry then join the Army. Although I think it won't be realistic enough for you because of an extreme lack of calibre's lol.

Never seen so many expend so much energy on something so insignificant and trivial, like someone else said mod it if you don't like it!!!

Failing that watch a youtube video of someone shooting a target, it's where most of you 'experts' get your weapon knowledge from anyway.

Edited by TheWanderingMan
  • Like 1

If half of you people cared THIS much about real issues then we'd all live in a better world that's for sure!!!

AT the end of the day It's a game you utter plebs and no game will ever be completely realistic. If you want total realism you'll have to go outside every once in a while, or if you want realistic weaponry then join the Army. Although I think it won't be realistic enough for you because of an extreme lack of calibre's lol.

Never seen so many expend so much energy on something so insignificant and trivial and like someone else said, mod it if you don't like it!!!

Failing that watch a youtube video of someone shooting a target, it's where most of you 'experts' get your weapon knowledge from anyway.

Wow, what an insightful post, you sure showed us with your ad hominems. Also, if you want my credentials you can just ask instead of assuming I gathered my knowledge of firearms from youtube videos. This game is a hobby, if you don't like that people are compassionate about this hobby on the forum dedicated to it YOU should leave. I'm sure you can find better company.

• Like 1

I'm actually kind of pissed off because they wont add 5.45. I couldn't care less if Mosin, Blaze and Longhorn had the same ammo, they just need to rename it to 7.62x54R because it's not a lot of work and makes sense.

However 5.45x39 and 5.56x45 are not the same ammo, not by a long shot. It doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Sutinen
  • Like 3

Wow, what an insightful post, you sure showed us with your ad hominems. Also, if you want my credentials you can just ask instead of assuming I gathered my knowledge of firearms from youtube videos. This game is a hobby, if you don't like that people are compassionate about this hobby on the forum dedicated to it YOU should leave. I'm sure you can find better company.

I don't care if you were a radio battery storeman or mechanic bro! I love this game and coming on this forum makes me laugh everytime I visit.

Why would I leave?

#firstworldproblemz

I don't care if you were a radio battery storeman or mechanic bro! I love this game and coming on this forum makes me laugh everytime I visit.

Why would I leave?

#firstworldproblemz

Sorry, I'm not a radio battery storeman or mechanic, but the only one making anyone laugh is you as you make an ass out of yourself using ad hominems like a 12 year old. Also this isn't twitter, or an avenue to discuss the perils of the 3rd world. Don't be surprised to read on topic posts of DayZ and it's development.

funny someone should bring up radio battery in any context from the game - I mean really there is only one battery to fit everything that needs a battery. where the hell is the D-cell battery? or AAA?? or even just the ever-so-prevalent AA???

cause "realism".

• Like 1

funny someone should bring up radio battery in any context from the game - I mean really there is only one battery to fit everything that needs a battery. where the hell is the D-cell battery? or AAA?? or even just the ever-so-prevalent AA???

cause "realism".

I agree, there should be more than one battery type. But this isn't the thread to discuss that.

• Like 1

- similar calibers with similar performance are to be grouped.
- similar diseases with similar treatments are to be grouped.
- similar technology with similar features are to be grouped. (if they ever add any phone are you guys going to argue about a Galaxy i9100 using Android 4.3 instead of 4.1.2 which is the last one the device can use?)
- and what the fuck is this 9V same type of batteries fitting everywhere???
- also why are all the players same heigh and complexion? I want to be able to choose mine!

They can't code the fucking entire world, and theres a lot of things I want before 98217198571 different calibers, why should they catter to your realistic petitions instead of my also realistic petitions?

I actually find much more important that they take in count the weapon's chamber when reloading so you can have 30+1 bullets, or different ammunition types like hollow points, or they revolver keeping the fastloader IN after realoding (dafuq? O.o) or shooting 60 bullets from a double mag withouth reloading, and more like this.

But difference about 7.62x51 and 7.62x54R? I dont give a shit.

• Like 1

Jesus the fan boys in here would defend the addition of unicorns that did rainbows so long as they perceive it to be within the vision of the devs.

• Like 5

I'm not going to lie here as I don't care, just hope this laziness doesn't filter down into other things.

One battery size is enough.

A couple of different bullet calibres is enough.

I want to play a GAME. Not a micro-manage simulator.

Guys, come on, think of all the money the free mod brought in!  Guys like Gibonez are not only ballistic experts, they are business geniuses who understand the complicated dance that is game development in a niche category.

Free mod brought money because:

lots of folks bought Arma 2 OA to be able to play it

lots of folks then also bought Arma 3, because dayz mod introduced them into armaverse

lots of folks bought DayZ Standalone because they loved mod or they saw Youtube vids and liked the gritty atmosphere and milsim aspects.

So now tell me, how come you can't fathom dissapointment of some people when Devs chose to "streamline" important things like weapon calibers. Or when shooting mechanics & weapon accuracy is somehow worse then in mod.

I mean it is over the top to call SA console garbage, but one has to be worried, if important stuff like weapon calibers, accuracy, attachments are done in a weird way untrue to mod.

• Like 1

Accuracy is fine.  Particularly if you stop and figure that we aren't playing as soldiers.

And ammo isn't a big deal.  I totally get where people might get that slight annoyance that the numbers are perfectly aligned, but if the damage per gun is a match, who cares what the inventory item says?

Accuracy is fine.  Particularly if you stop and figure that we aren't playing as soldiers.

And ammo isn't a big deal.  I totally get where people might get that slight annoyance that the numbers are perfectly aligned, but if the damage per gun is a match, who cares what the inventory item says?

Not being a soldier doesn't magically makes your weapon less accurate, but makes you less capable of compensating for sway or handling recoil.

So if not being a soldier is a valid excuse, then just ++sway and ++recoil and were all happy then. Ive tried shooting a weapon and for me sway was already a hell of a problem past the 10m, and ofc Im no soldier, so if this is the standard, so be it. But magical inaccuracy is a no go ....

We aren't playing as anyone.

Any connotation of a "character" is purely conjured up in the player's mind.

The game, however, is indifferent. We're not playing as Ricky M. MARSOC any more than we're playing Sally J. Bumbling-Idiot. We're playing as nothing. Our avatars are just vessels, representatives of the player. They're not characters.

The only thing left to do, once this is acknowledged, is to render the shooting mechanic in a straightforward manner that is actually representative of a player's own prowess in accuracy.

• Like 3

The only thing left to do, once this is acknowledged, is to render the shooting mechanic in a straightforward manner that is actually representative of a player's own prowess in accuracy.

Problem is, this is a game. "Prowess in accuracy" is just another fancy term for knowing how to aim. 

Arguably, knowing how to aim well is already a key skill in the game. It's probably hard to balance this without making it unrealistic.

Problem is, this is a game. "Prowess in accuracy" is just another fancy term for knowing how to aim. 

Arguably, knowing how to aim well is already a key skill in the game. It's probably hard to balance this without making it unrealistic.

But player-represented accuracy is already balanced. Either you're good at shooting, or you (as a player) aren't... or somewhere in-between. It doesn't even need to be balanced by simulating our "characters" being inept.

A player is already going to be accurate or inaccurate, there's nothing to be gained by having something like "random dispersion" play proverbial ping-pong with your rounds as they travel downrange... especially when you can have other pre-shot factors (sway, lead, bullet drop, wind, etc.) which are able to be mitigated/countered, or not, by skilled/unskilled players.

Point being, even if you do ALL the right things... make sure you're shooting from a stable position.... aim properly... manage sway... lead your target... compensate for bullet drop... and fire... the game is still arbitrarily dictating where your rounds will land.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

Exactly.  ARMA is based on soldiers.  To say the mechanics should be the same implies that players are soldiers, which isn't the games intent.

Besides, weapon accuracy issues are the most overstated problem in Dayz.  This vocal minority can't honestly be such garbage shots as to complain that the gameis fundamentally broken.  Thousands of 100m shot kills begs to differ.

Additionally, when shooting there are many concerns that come into accuracy other than sway.  Clinch, prediction of recoil, and trigger pull all come into play, making the sight picture you see at pull little more than an estimate when the bullet leaves the barrel.  It take years and thousands of rounds to overcome those issues.

And why do we have to balance it? if im good im good dude.

Wind/bullet drop/sway/recoil (no matter how good you are theres ALWAYS sway and recoil) and leave the rest to me. If I compensate properly, I deserve to hit. No need for balance.

• Like 4

Exactly.  ARMA is based on soldiers.  To say the mechanics should be the same implies that players are soldiers, which isn't the games intent.

That's a logical fallacy though. Simply because X is Y in Z, doesn't mean X has to be Y in A.

The mechanics should be the same because it's representative of player skill.

Simply because the avatars in ARMA are soldiers, doesn't therefore mean that the avatars in DayZ are intended to be incompetent. They're nothing, it's a different approach to the concept of a "character" or avatar.

The avatars in ARMA have fundamental backgrounds, they're US soldiers... Russian soldiers... NAPA insurgents...

The avatars in DayZ have NO background. They aren't soldiers... and they aren't incompetent morons. They're nothing.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3