Sign in to follow this  
leefriendfield

Should walkie talkies have text chat?

Should walkies have text chat?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should walkies have text chat?

Ya, like the kids won't troll radio channels with Chuck Norris spam.....  :rolleyes: .  WoW is a prime example of why we don't need in-game chat.  

And if ingame chat is not added kids will use a mic so you are forced to listen to their voices and their chuck norris jokes

which one would you want rather 

a ingame chat for walkie talkies so you are not forced to endure annoying chuck norris jokes on voicechat

or none so you dont have to have a small box in the corner of your screen spammed

And if ingame chat is not added kids will use a mic so you are forced to listen to their voices and their chuck norris jokes

which one would you want rather 

a ingame chat for walkie talkies so you are not forced to endure annoying chuck norris jokes on voicechat

or none so you dont have to have a small box in the corner of your screen spammed

I can kill them when it's in direct chat/voice.

I can kill them when it's in direct chat/voice.

Wouldn't killing them have the same effect with text chat?

Wouldn't killing them have the same effect with text chat?

not if it's global. Which is why it's not wanted.

I vote no, but if you do get text chat on the walkie, then it should convert your text to morse code and broadcast a tone on both sender and receiver units ;)

If you want silent chat use steam/ts/vent/etc..

Yes we need text chat. I'm not buying a mic just for DayZ. If anything mic should be banned from walkie-talkies. Do you really want kids spamming music and making sex noises? or them screaming "YER ALL NEGGERS N FAGS BITCHIZ I OWND U @ COD"

• Like 1

Yes we need text chat. I'm not buying a mic just for DayZ. If anything mic should be banned from walkie-talkies. Do you really want kids spamming music and making sex noises? or them screaming "YER ALL NEGGERS N FAGS BITCHIZ I OWND U @ COD"

You don't have a microphone? Lolwut? Part of the appeal of DayZ comes from direct communication with others.

That's almost as bad as not growing your fingernails 3" long to play professional StarCraft 2.

Kids these days.

not if it's global. Which is why it's not wanted.

Not wanted by you, but wanted by many others. The great thing about the ability to chat with WT's, is if you don't wanna, don't make the effort to loot firestations and picking one up. It is ALL on YOU. Imagine a game with options, allowing you to participate in these options, or the ability to not participate. Seems like a very good philosophy...

Why not, if you can type in direct channel, why not type in a radio channel too.

While it might not be an important feature to me, it makes sense to leave it in for people without mics, hearing/speech problems or cute lady voices, who don't like to be harassed by lecherous thirteen year olds.

• Like 2

Why not, if you can type in direct channel, why not type in a radio channel too.

While it might not be an important feature to me, it makes sense to leave it in for people without mics, hearing/speech problems or cute lady voices, who don't like to be harassed by lecherous thirteen year olds.

perfect this is why to a tee

You don't have a microphone? Lolwut? Part of the appeal of DayZ comes from direct communication with others.

That's almost as bad as not growing your fingernails 3" long to play professional StarCraft 2.

Kids these days.

I don't need to speak over a mic to communicate. I frankly don't want 12 year olds mocking my accent or spamming trolololol

I don't need to speak over a mic to communicate. I frankly don't want 12 year olds mocking my accent or spamming trolololol

So you would rather read their blabbering instead?  What you said makes zero sense.

if you want a side chat just say so....

the only "real-sim" way to do this is pick some real world model of walkie that HAS TEXTING and make a mini-game out of of it.

that sounds so stupid now that i think about it.

30km voice chat is good enough imo, that why i voted no.

While on reddit I asked hicks whether the walkies range would be increased to which I was told yes, up to 30 km range. Hicks motioned that this is to be the new "side chat" system. My question to you is should the walkies have the ability to use text over radio type chat system?

"Keepin mind, this is just placeholder behavior - while we test out the mechanic. The walkie talkie item itself should only cover about 3km. If we went with this, we'd need to create a 2meter or similar handheld."

-Hicks_206

http://www.reddit.com/user/Hicks_206

Edited by Weyland Yutani

When I voted "no" it was with the picture of a standard push-to-talk handheld in my head.  Having NOT played the Mod, I don't have any idea of the current fancy-dancey  communicators in game circulation.  The only pic I had seen for reference was a simple walkie.  IF the devs deem to implement a talk/text communicator then why the hell not?  It's their game.  Though having  a bit of two-way RF communications knowledge,  the addition of 30km range would be reliant upon the re-activation of the repeater at Green Mountain.  I can tell you that THIS survivor won't be harnessing up to climb that curs-ed  tower!  MoD contract be damned!

Edit: Changed my vote to "Yes".

Edited by MarchHare

If we don't accept some kind of compromise, we end up with idiots modding in full sidechat. Bite the bullet and deal with it. 

Jesus Christ, point at the silly person who would use a walkie-talkie, or in game VOIP over skype.

Lol, buy mics or gtfo.

People who don't play with a mic are the ones who never reply in direct and KOS you.

Man up, go to the store and buy a mic - preferably not a £5 crackly piece of shit.

Walkie TALKie. TALK TALK TALK. It's in the name.

Deaf? You'd be just as SOL with a real one, can't help ya.

• Like 1

I voted "no". Personally, I wish that text chat wasn't featured in the game at all. DayZ is the kind of game that requires a microphone IMO.

• Like 2

ITT: INSECURITY

Many walkie talkies have a morse code option, so we could have something like that. You write a message, it takes some time to send it with morse code. When you receive such a message the text will be slowly writen on your screen like when you are reading morse code. I would like that option very much :)

Lol, buy mics or gtfo.

People who don't play with a mic are the ones who never reply in direct and KOS you.

Man up, go to the store and buy a mic - preferably not a £5 crackly piece of shit.

Walkie TALKie. TALK TALK TALK. It's in the name.

Deaf? You'd be just as SOL with a real one, can't help ya.

I would rather not be screaming shit in a foreign language in my own room while everyone else hears it. If I can't communicate with people at all, then I would just simply kill them. It's possible though. I have teamed up with a lot of people and avoided fights because of it.

But there's still the people who KoS me because I don't have a mic. I'll admit, it's easier to just shoot people before I need to start typing shit.