roguetrooper

What is the ingame map good for?

I love the in game map. However there is one HUGE PROBLEM with it. All locations are marked in ENGLISH ONLY. The road signs in game are not in English... If I'm lost and I'm using a road sign to navigate I need to know the translations or I need to check a third party map which ruins it for me. Please update the map to be in whatever Chernarushcvechian language the road signs are in.

• Like 2

I love the in game map. However there is one HUGE PROBLEM with it. All locations are marked in ENGLISH ONLY. The road signs in game are not in English... If I'm lost and I'm using a road sign to navigate I need to know the translations or I need to check a third party map which ruins it for me. Please update the map to be in whatever Chernarushcvechian language the road signs are in.

Quite right!

• Like 1

Well i bought the game for survival.. and personally feel that it sort of defeats the purpose when you have a large see all map with loot locations and fountains etc marked out for easy access.

using that map to set waypoints with your compass could make it more useful not an entirely useless waste of precious inventory space.

Fixed for you Groover.

(p.s. don't smight me)

Well i bought the game for survival.. and personally feel that it sort of defeats the purpose when you have a large see all map with loot locations and fountains etc marked out for easy access.

and, if there was one map of the area that would be fine -- but in a survival games backstory, who decided to cut a map in halves and quarters that magically fit together in the same scale? Was there a bunch of people that said "gee, I don't need this whole map of the same scale, that takes up the same amount of space either way" *rip rip rip* "see, it's much better in tiny barely usefull pieces"

It's a two way hang-up. The 3rd party map is overly usefull to the point of almost cheating where the ingame sections of maps are just pointless inventory space wasted in the vain hope you stumble accross another section that fits with yours to avoid lost space... which you never do, so you end up with 3-4 map halfs and quarters that don't go together and waste space.

If it was like the mod and said maps didn't take up your main inventory space, it'd be totally reasonable. I mean, it's peice of paper that somehow takes up as much space as a full stack of amuntion, food, medical supplies, a knife -- you get where this is going.

A peice of paper. Something that could easily be folded and stuck in your boot or down your jimmies, or under your hat -- point being, not taking up nonsensical space.

Edited by Nihilum
  • Like 1

Will the ingame map have any extended functions later?

Affirmative. New feature of going to bathroom is in the works...

Yes i do agree that the way it is with so many sections is a little silly and think that there should be rarer larger chunks of map you can combine into one or even a complete one (map is only what? Like 15 kmx15km?)  but I'd rather take the in game option having to find a map and sacrifice a bit of inventory space over the ridiculously easy, unlimited use for all, usable on spawn, see all, 3rd party map.

i for one like collecting the map. Never takes Long until you have the full map.

But after some ingame time you wont even need the dayZdb map.

This plus that you can't combine N, E and SW parts which is the whole map and they take 3 slots and 3 quickbar slots... Different combinations take huge amount of slots though the inventory slot system also should be changed.

Too broken system atm. So they're pretty much useless for now.

If you had a chance to find a complete map and could access it via a single key press I would use it. I use the in-game map extensively in Arma 3 missions. It is super useful, unlike the DayZ map.

Learning to read the cyrillic characters would also be a good opportunity to increase one's horizon. I had learned Russian for six years in school. It really isn't that difficult to read the characters (and Russian at all is not the most difficult language to learn). Some characters are identical, some look the same and some are completely new. I never understood why people complain (no offence) about the un-trans-litterated roadsigns and house inscriptions. Within one hour training one can be able to read all cyrillic road signs... though it may take more seconds... "what? ka-va... no... ka-ba-ni-no"

• Like 1

I'm not complaining that the road signs are in cyrillic. I'm complaining that the map is in English! But yeah I should probably do a bit of research on the language anyway. Would be good for me.

I don't believe this Topic.... :facepalm:

Map & compass should be at the top of the needed list.

I know where I am; I know where I'm  going and I can give you a pretty accurate ETA or how long it will take me to get from A to B.

If you have that info the town  names could be written in Martian, it would make no difference, I'll just send you the map ref (radio distance 30km).

Game needs time pieces (watches).

If you had a chance to find a complete map and could access it via a single key press I would use it. I use the in-game map extensively in Arma 3 missions. It is super useful, unlike the DayZ map.

I've got a complete in-game map, and use it a lot (for navigation) as well as for player lists when weighing up whether raiding tent city is a go-to.

5=binocs

6=compass

7=map of chernarus.

are my hotkey combos that get the lovin.

I've got a complete in-game map, and use it a lot (for navigation) as well as for player lists when weighing up whether raiding tent city is a go-to.

5=binocs

6=compass

7=map of chernarus.

are my hotkey combos that get the lovin.

The hotkeys work like shit for me. They often don't react. But here is my hotkey setup:

1 = melee

2 = primary

3 = silenced pistol

4 = regular pistol

5-6 = empty

7 = canteen/binocs

8 = binocs/canteen

9 = compass

0 = bandages

Have you played Arma? That game has fixed slots for compass, map, binocs, watch, etc. and a single key press opens them up. It's so smooth and intuitive. I love and hate the DayZ inventory system at the same time... It makes me feel like the character I am playing is suffering from brain damage.

Edited by scriptfactory

How about map is developed so that you can combine a pen with it and write on it. It can be a similar way to in Arma 3 when you double click the map it puts a X and allows you to write a note. You could then even give people your map with notes on or mark areas of interest etc.

I've been struggling to combine any maps since the last update.

I can't combine any map with any other so I just drop them and use a third party window...

Because not everyone believes in Meta Gaming! I for one will never use external maps or TeamSpeak. 

I leave the game to check an external map, don't look at it while playing. This way I can count it as background knowledge, plus what I remember from that region in the past. In game you know that place x is more or less NE of your location, but you are not sure of distance or exactly what is on the route etc.. makes more interesting cross country, you look down from the trees onto a road, and try to remember if this is the road between two towns, or a side road that joins it, how close you are to a village.. etc.. use compass and time of day and memory. I don't understand players who think moving across country is boring.