jasonb

Rocket discusses Smoking and Cigarettes in Day Z

In a game play stream i watched last night, a few months back, rocket was talking about what people think about him adding smoking and cigarettes in DayZ mainly for roleplay. I believe the streamers name was sacriel42 or something and vids up on youtube.

Edit: Video with Rocket talking about adding smoking to DayZ:

Starts at 2:20

Some suggestions that came up in the stream were that smoking could reduce shock damage (seems like players can get into shock after being hit badly and when they do they can't bandage and reload for a few seconds - i didn't know this or if its even implemented yet) anyway effectively calming the player. A negative effect would be too slightly decrease stamina while smoking.

Anyway I was thinking about this and though it would be cool to use cigarettes as a type of currency in the apocalypse. Players could find packets of smokes with varying amounts of cigarettes in them in the world and they could trade them for food and guns etc. Well at least in a role playing server.

For example, a player could trade 100 cigarettes for an SKS at a vendor. 

I know this will never happen in dayzsa vanilla, but wouldn't it be cool if players could buy Food/Water/Ammo etc off NPC vendors using cigarettes as a form of currency?

Edited by JasonB

I don't know, it would be pretty cool to see a bunch of chars and bandits running around with cigarettes, would make your bandit characters look so much more badass. And I think smoking would be a huge thing in the apocalypse.. All that stress!

Edited by JasonB
  • Like 1

<snip>

Dude the SA is not Epoch,forget about vendors trading safe zones and NPCs in general,because they will never make an apperance.

Smoking has 0 benefits in real life,why should it have in game? I can only see them make it ingame as part of aesthetics,nothing more.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

Dude the SA is not Epoch,forget about vendors trading safe zones and NPCs in general,because they will never make an apperance.

Smoking has 0 benefits in real life,why should it have in game? I can only see them make it ingame as part of aesthetics,nothing more.

Thats you know, why he said aa a mod for SA (lets face it, its gonna happen. I love epoch, but I.prefer origins. Buuut.Dayz Overpoch mod was released last weekwnd :D)

Anyway, smokin does have two good uses, which Is why the Army use to issue them: Calms the nerves (which reduces shakes and stress) and boosts morale (they.were a luxury)

Buuut, Id like to.see cigars if cigarretes comw in. Ima cigar kinda man (dont smoke at all tgough XD)

But tgwee should be side affects like you said. Cause lets face it, rasputin kvass is a beer Ingame, which technically means SA could be banned in certain countries.

• Like 1

gta 5 has somking so should dayz there nothing wrong in adding it into the game it can be used by role players i guess and maybe if your addicted to it in game it can reduce shock values or something but ofc smoking should have its defects 

Now, lets not wipe it all of the table. I believe he doesn't mean a zone where you can't die, but I have been on a few servers where PLAYERS set their own trader city up and have ACTUAL people defend it.

If i started smoking to reduce shock damage i would be coughing and convulsing for about 10 minutes.

• Like 3

Aren't we taking realism a little too far?

Why would cigaretes in apocalypse worth anything to trade for,if the only thing they are effective at is giving you addiction and cancer?

If a morale system was to be implemented i could see this working.Don't get me wrong,if tommorow an apocalypse starts,and i have a fortified location growing tobacco i could trade it for all kinds of stuff,beign a luxury item and rare.

In SA it would have little benefit but it would look cool for aesthitics. Remember metal gear solid? The game had smoking in it. If i remember correctly it slowly knocked your health down but it looked cool. Adds character like face masks. And yes, in an apocalypse smoking would defiantly act like a sorta currency. Lots of people would be willing to trade for cigarettes and tobacco. It would definitely be a luxury item.  The main idea in SA would be for roleplaying with little benefit vs little negative effects, e.g. Increased calmness for reduced stamina as someone mentioned in the stream I posted. I'm just sayin, im sure cigarettes/cigars would be hugely popular in an apocalypse setting and likely would be used as currency (if a real apocalypse were to occur)... I'm sure some players would trade anyways if ciggarettes were in the game. Doesn't have to be NPC's.

The NPC idea was just for whenever modding gets supported for DAYZSA and someone makes a mod with NPC vendors etc which is sure to happen. Instead of using money or gold bars like some dayz mods i think cigarettes would be better and more realistic is all as money has no use.

For example, you could find a pack of 10 = $10 eqv, and in another area a pack of 15 etc. Packs of cigarettes on zombies or what not. Each stick is worth a $1. Bad example. But you get what i mean. Ciggarettes could spawn with a random amount in them from 0 - 20 cigarettes per packet. 

Edited by JasonB

If i started smoking to reduce shock damage i would be coughing and convulsing for about 10 minutes.

Theres an idea. Heavy smokers in DAYZSA could let out a cough once in a while, could reveal your position. Kinda like when you get sick in the game :p. Im talking if you smoke like 100+ cigarettes. Its the little things.

• Like 2

add ciggers and the odd nice stogie (cigar) as the tier 2 rare smoke item ^_^ 

2 be honest i couldnt care less about rippin durries ingame but I'm down for whatever 

I like the idea , I just quit smoking a year ago and would love to see my character do the same under a stressful apocalypse scenario ...'or maybe hell die trying ;) ... But I wouldn't want much negative or positive effects , maybe like someone said a smokers cough and reduced stamina for 15 mins after a smoke for negative effects and positive effects should only be one : reduced shakiness when in pain ... But when you get addicted you shake until you smoke a cigarette or get un-addicted lol ...

well cannabis would be a more useful substance in an apocalypse situation as it has stress relief, pain relief, helps you to sleep and helps nausau/ stomach upsets.
Where as nicotine is a fairly pointless drug without much effect., tobacco would still be sought after in this situation, as its rarity and demand for it is high.

Maybe they could implement some small 'herb ' gardens as not to be too obvious ?

Tobacco, cannabis, batteries, alcohol, matches / lighters and even papers and pens would all be quite rare and sought after items.

Edited by AgentNe0

Tobacco, cannabis, batteries, alcohol, matches / lighters and even papers and pens would all be quite rare and sought after items.

yes, we need alcohol. Lots and lots of it.

Edited by EnergeticSheep
  • Like 1

they don't need to do all that cigarettes is just quite common and would likely be a small resource for trading along with matches and other small commodities

It's stupid to add cigarette. 

Hey, let's add pot and crack and cocaine and heroine, i want a fix 

When I clicked on this thread I instantly imagined Hannibal with a cigar in his mouth, gun on his shoulder and a fuck ton of dead zombies piled around him.

Yeah, smoking would be cool, not to say it is cool. Maybe you could have withdrawal effects also? You can take 1 cig to calm yourself after killing someone for example but for a few days after if you don't ease yourself off you start to shake really badly and it affects your aim, etc.

I see no purpose for cigarettes. 

Well, I think almost every soldiers in WWII whatever their countries and ideas see a big purpose to it... WWII was one of the thing that been very close to apocalypse and it was real...

Its all about how you look at things. I personally enjoy smoking, I can find many benefits from it, enjoyment being in the top of the list.

Some saying that it wouldnt serve any purpose in the game, sure. But neither does pink baseball cap or orange raincoat.

Its all about how you look at things. I personally enjoy smoking, I can find many benefits from it, enjoyment being in the top of the list.

Like i said at one of my previous comments,if they implemented a morale system,i could see this working.

Some saying that it wouldnt serve any purpose in the game, sure. But neither does pink baseball cap or orange raincoat.

That's why i said...."I can only see them make it ingame as part of aesthetics,nothing more."

That's why i said...."I can only see them make it ingame as part of aesthetics,nothing more."

Thats why I didnt quote you and referred to the other posts in this and the other threads.

Smoking has its ups and downs and honestly fits perfectly to a end world scenario, sure i doubt they will actually be used for currency unless people in a server set up there own trading camp but that will only be a few servers that i personally won't be on. Smoking does help with shock and helps to calm nerves when shell shocked or injured thats why a lot of medics still today carry a pack to use on patients. Down sides though it does affect stamina and can bring shortness of breath (obviously). Now asides all my facts of smoking i can agree with dayz using this because lets face it every nation in the world has cigarettes and a major chunk of people from each country smoke so you would find cigs every where you looked almost, now that shouldn't be the case in dayz they should be harder to find but i can see medical uses for them as well as the ability to get addicted to where your character will want a cig every so often making it hard to focus or aim. Just my input on this subject as a smoker honestly but i do hope to see this in the game later on.