Sign in to follow this  
MarchmelloMan

Murphy's law and DayZ

Hey guys,

somehow I feel that I never noticed the existence of the so called murphy's law as much as in DayZ.

This night I went on a server with 2!! other people on that whole 225 km^2 and I am careless as hell but who do I meet when logging out? Yeah right.. And of course they are aggressive and kill me..

I can't count the times that things like that happened to me - running around for half an hour on a 40/40 server, seeing NO ONE, but joining that f***** 2-5/40 servers encountering the other one, two, three guys on that servers right when I would never expect it..

Two days ago I was at the airfield, going up the stairs of the prison, all fresh, nobody in the whole building and being on a server with exactly one other guy. Starting to loot the room upstairs, going out of that room again heading for the stairs when I got shot, cause someone logged in exactly right beside that space behind the stairs in that 10-20 seconds where I looted the room.

IF there is at least one other soul on that server and you DON'T want to meet it, you WILL, at the worst possible point in time. Or if you play at night, where actually 1 or 2 guys per hour log in into a server and the chance is actually 0,00x% that you will stumble on him, he will appear right beside where you are, aggressively!

Edited by MarchmelloMan
  • Like 3

My ancestors would be proud that our namesake has carried on such a storied tradition of the proverbial shit hitting the fan, each and every time it can.

:)

Murphy-Ireland2.jpg

Edited by lrish
  • Like 3

Yeah me and a buddy were in berenzino, five people on then we see a freshie, take him hostage, then the other two people on the server show up and s ginfight entails

Yesterday there I was, nonchalantly strolling & looting western Cherngorsk thinking to myself "nobody in Cherno"

and then came Murphy

You are Dead

• Like 4

RvyivkAfqE-PwmMiHS5hNQ2.jpg

*NE Airfield

the running point of every naked or half-naked bandit

Well Irish, your ancestors hurt. :P

• Like 2

The NW Airfield is the most prolific looting spot for military stuff.

The NE Airstrip is ofthen the closest military looting spot from where you spawn.

You spawn nearly IN Berezino half the time.

If you join a server with only 1 other dude on, odds that this dude being at one of these spots are ISS high. And if he's not, he probably is on his way to one of these spots. Because he's most likely doing what you are doing : trying to gearup without meating other players.

No Murphy's law here. Just common sense.

From the Mod to the SA, Murphy's law is always there but the unexpected is one of the best things about DayZ.

"Let's go to Polana factory for car parts... What could possibly go wrong?"  :huh:

Just last night I was at the NWA going on a loot with my half blind death mute mate as sniper cover (he's not but plays like it) :-)  I'm on the runway and another player from nowhere pops up with me and shoots me.  Long story short my sniper cover "offs" my killer so I'm avenged, I spawn nearby so return to get my stuff.... all I can find is the other player's body and he's logged out so nothing to have.... my body meanwhile has disappeared... so much for cheap tactics  :)

FYI, my sniper cover remained there so we know noone had hidden my body.

Edited by stryker007

The NW Airfield is the most prolific looting spot for military stuff.

The NE Airstrip is ofthen the closest military looting spot from where you spawn.

You spawn nearly IN Berezino half the time.

If you join a server with only 1 other dude on, odds that this dude being at one of these spots are ISS high. And if he's not, he probably is on his way to one of these spots. Because he's most likely doing what you are doing : trying to gearup without meating other players.

No Murphy's law here. Just common sense.

Yeye, Mr. Grinch. According to your explanations all people run either to NW or NE airfield. And everyone has the same goal of getting geared up there. Really? And if you tell that from the low population.. at night most servers are scarcely populated.

Right, lots of players run to NE airfield (and not NW airfield, it's not worth to go there or you wanna look for proper fights). But there are also lots of players who loot Berezino, Svetlo, Balota airfield (not as far away as NW), Elektro and other locations which are all reasonable places to loot and which are normally quite populated.

But well, I think the law has to strike you hard to show you the power of murphy's!

Edited by MarchmelloMan

Yeye, Mr. Grinch. According to your explanations all people run either to NW or NE airfield. And everyone has the same goal of getting geared up there. Really? And if you tell that from the low population.. at night most servers are scarcely populated.

Right, lots of players run to NE airfield (and not NW airfield, it's not worth to go there or you wanna look for proper fights). But there are also lots of players who loot Berezino, Svetlo, Balota airfield (not as far away as NW), Elektro and other locations which are all reasonable places to loot and which are normally quite populated.

But well, I think the law has to strike you hard to show you the power of murphy's!

Did you missed the part where it's about odds ? That would be quite embarassing, since that is the key point of what i've posted.

When you go on a low pop server during prime time to gear up, what are you expecting the only other dude on the server to do ? Looking at the birds ? He might be. But lets be honest, its realy unlikely. He's most likely here to get geared up, just as you do.

Odds to meet people in interesting looting spots are high. These odds are lower on a low population server than on a high population one, but they'r still quite significative. Thinking otherwise is being delusional. Wich is pretty much blaming Murphy's law, bad luck, black magics, the Liberals, Sarah Palin, instead of the mistakes you probably made (missevaluation of the situation and a possible lake of awaerness).

Edited by Mathylde

Never alt-tab, or even shift-tab for steam, and look at a map.  Instant zombie spawn on top of you!!!

• Like 1

I remember spawning in up near Polana, saying "screw Berezino" and running all the way down to Kamyshovo. By the time I get there, there was only 1 other person on the server. I assumed they were either stumblefucking about in Berezino, or server-hopping the airfields.

I start looting the police station in Kamy (I didn't know they put in more police stations. "Hallelujah" started playing in my head once I crested the hill and saw the tower), I hear footsteps on the tower stair. No zombie noises. 

-I freeze, pull out M4-

Guy in full mil-gear comes charging up the stairs, DOESN'T NOTICE ME, and tries to loot the top of the tower. I follow him up, go behind him, whisper "do you know why I'm here?" over VOIP.

Poor bastard FREAKS OUT, runs out of the top of the tower, and falls/glitches off the roof. Breaks his legs on landing. Starts cursing me. I go down, knock him out, strip him naked, cuff him and fix his legs, leave him a bottle of water and an open can of beans, and skip off merrily into the sunset in the direction of Elektro.

• Like 2

I used to think Elektro was no longer a bloodbath... My mate and I were going around, when suddenly, a heavy rain ensues. Running for cover, I am hit several times by an SKS. THANK THE LORD FOR MY PRESS VEST

MarchmelloMan, by chance were you wearing a lot of green with a green M4 that had no stock, foregrip or sights?

Edited by One Cool Cat

Lesson: People log into almost empty servers to loot military spawns, just like you.

• Like 1

Lesson: People log into almost empty servers to loot military spawns, just like you.

just what i thought

Easier to find people on empty servers when you log into NEAF or military spawns.

• Like 1

Did you missed the part where it's about odds ? That would be quite embarassing, since that is the key point of what i've posted.

When you go on a low pop server during prime time to gear up, what are you expecting the only other dude on the server to do ? Looking at the birds ? He might be. But lets be honest, its realy unlikely. He's most likely here to get geared up, just as you do.

Odds to meet people in interesting looting spots are high. These odds are lower on a low population server than on a high population one, but they'r still quite significative. Thinking otherwise is being delusional. Wich is pretty much blaming Murphy's law, bad luck, black magics, the Liberals, Sarah Palin, instead of the mistakes you probably made (missevaluation of the situation and a possible lake of awaerness).

Actually you are just reposting your first statement.

I were telling you that people also loot Berezino, Elektro, Balota Airfield and so on. Or is there only one interesting looting spot? And people on middle pop servers run to boring spots? You actually just repeated your stuff. Perhaps thats your personal experience, but not everyone in this game runs to one single military spot when he's not looking at birds. And even less at the same time.

But this is about murphy’s law, and I think you have not really an idea what it is about.

Murphy’s law just states that if there is a chance that something can go wrong, it will go wrong. It deals with human failures and of not being AWARE of all possible outcomes and consequences.

Now, what are we talking here about? Yea right, about the chance of encountering other players and being shot to death cause we were not aware of it! Now you actually just gave a definition of murphys law with your criticism. Cause, yea, I failed to be aware of the danger of the (more or less tiny) chance that I could meet the other single player on the server while looting places. And because I was not aware, and it could go wrong (other single player appears right where I am and shoots me) murphys law strikes and it went wrong.

Edited by MarchmelloMan

Hey guys,

somehow I feel that I never noticed the existence of the so called murphy's law as much as in DayZ.

This night I went on a server with 2!! other people on that whole 225 km^2 and I am careless as hell but who do I meet when logging out? Yeah right.. And of course they are aggressive and kill me..

I can't count the times that things like that happened to me - running around for half an hour on a 40/40 server, seeing NO ONE, but joining that f***** 2-5/40 servers encountering the other one, two, three guys on that servers right when I would never expect it..

Two days ago I was at the airfield, going up the stairs of the prison, all fresh, nobody in the whole building and being on a server with exactly one other guy. Starting to loot the room upstairs, going out of that room again heading for the stairs when I got shot, cause someone logged in exactly right beside that space behind the stairs in that 10-20 seconds where I looted the room.

IF there is at least one other soul on that server and you DON'T want to meet it, you WILL, at the worst possible point in time. Or if you play at night, where actually 1 or 2 guys per hour log in into a server and the chance is actually 0,00x% that you will stumble on him, he will appear right beside where you are, aggressively!

thahahahahaha....

dont Play on the pussy Servers then!    10-15/40 Servers are best for looting!

u could also just get into a town in the middle of nowhere!

very likely that u meet a Server hopper at hthe airfield on a empty Server!!!!

in the past i would also Play like this! but it kills the whole experience!   whats the Point in taking Long walks and looting the mil bases!   u could also just stay in berezino and have some Action right after spawning!

if u get the drop on someone it doenst matter how good u are geared!

Edited by brumey

It's true. DayZ is the center of Murphy's Law. I meet more people on low pop servers than on full servers!

Edited by TSAndrey
  • Like 1

I avoid low-pop servers. (<10) My rational is no one is there for a reason. Laggy, hackers, ?? Also, if you are attempting to loot airfields/military, it doesn't matter if you're the only person on the server you simply CANNOT let your guard down. In the 20-odd minutes you've been there I can pretty much guarantee that at least 2 other players were in the vicinity having logged in, made a circuit, and logged out for the next server. These players are also going to be the most dangerous to leave your guard down for as they'll most certainly be armed, and kill you in an instant without warning since you've graciously collected equipment for them.

NWAF is the safest IMO, strictly around the tent area though. In the dozen or so times I've been there I've only come across another player there once. Zombie agros are pretty reliable indicators for people ducking through tents. However, occasionally I do head over to the north tech building area and nearly always its doors are wide open. NWAF is closer to Berezino spawns than Balota, it just involves a treck across rough terrain rather than following road & rail. Lots of places to get stocked up with food and basics on the way though just keep a map handy and enjoy the scenery. :) 

I avoid low-pop servers. (<10) My rational is no one is there for a reason. Laggy, hackers, ?? Also, if you are attempting to loot airfields/military, it doesn't matter if you're the only person on the server you simply CANNOT let your guard down. In the 20-odd minutes you've been there I can pretty much guarantee that at least 2 other players were in the vicinity having logged in, made a circuit, and logged out for the next server. These players are also going to be the most dangerous to leave your guard down for as they'll most certainly be armed, and kill you in an instant without warning since you've graciously collected equipment for them.

NWAF is the safest IMO, strictly around the tent area though. In the dozen or so times I've been there I've only come across another player there once. Zombie agros are pretty reliable indicators for people ducking through tents. However, occasionally I do head over to the north tech building area and nearly always its doors are wide open. NWAF is closer to Berezino spawns than Balota, it just involves a treck across rough terrain rather than following road & rail. Lots of places to get stocked up with food and basics on the way though just keep a map handy and enjoy the scenery. :)

Yea Berezino is too far away from Balota, but I would run to NE airfield then, it's about a 15 minutes run from there.

Who says I am 20 minutes at the airfield :D whoever stays that long is probably camping and lurking for other players. But for looting it only takes just 2-3 minutes. It's not the area I wanna have a picnic.