Sign in to follow this  
Grimey Rick

Have you ever been so attached to something in DayZ it drives you batty to play your character?

Before I begin, my Hardcore character looks like this:

zOwq6Q9.jpg

Now, normally on Hardcore, like I mentioned in a post I made a while back, I partake in organized PVP matches with my team against other teams. We'll all head to Grishino, Devil's Castle, Myshkino or any other deserted area and put each team at the opposite end of whatever town or area we decide to do battle in. It's a lot like playing paintball, it's fun, and we're not affecting anyone else with our silliness.

Unfortunately my team has disbanded as three of our five teammates have quit due to boredom, a fried video card and studying for exams (or something). So naturally, I've gone back to normal/casual DayZ play on my Hardcore character and have basically lost all interest in Regular mode. I hadn't been able to do this in a couple of months as it was always important to have my Hardcore character geared up and ready for the matches we were playing.

Anyway, here's my problem: I kind of look like a bandit. That's cool, whatever. I've been trying to interact with people, but they see me and either fire at me or run away. Whatever, change your clothes, right? But I can't! My character has been alive since January or thereabouts, and still has the super awesome Ballistic Helmet/Gas Mask combination going on. I even had several people camped outside of a jail in NWAF that I was pinned down in who were peeking in at me telling me they were going to kill me solely for the reason they knew I was alive for so long. Unfortunately for them, I am still alive and they aren't.

"Now Rick, aren't you being a little bit of a pussy?" you may ask. And to that I agree wholeheartedly. I've told countless people before to not get attached to their gear. Anything you lose, you can generally get back in an hour or two. I know I shouldn't become attached to my gear but I am. Oh well, I guess I'll have to keep trying and just deal with the fact that I incite fear and mistrust in those around me until I find a bullet in the back of my head since I can't bring myself to remove it. 

TL;DR:

Has a certain item in your possession driven you to a state of paranoia such that you don't want to play your character?

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 2

What may help you is that the gas mask is a disadvantage when playing at night as it sort of "glows" just like the sunglasses.

So ditch the mask and your problem is solved while gaining some tactical advantage :)

• Like 1

nah. all items are meant to be lost, and to be rediscovered over and over again. after you die, another round of looting awaits.

you are making dying a bigger issue to yourself by getting attached too much to your gear.

Edited by komadose
  • Like 1

i would try not to get attached to the gear, but id want to keep my character alive for that amount of time, so maybe appear more friendly looking for the sake of living longer?

honestly i think its actually good to get attached to your gear your characters life it makes the game oh so much more tense ( just dont loose your shit when you do die as we all do die) honestly i get so far with a character and then i start counting hours of play alive, Do i stay away from trouble when i start geting attached (usually around the 8 hour mark), nope i still visit all the dont go places while travelling and i am tense and cautious as fuck when i do.

Trust me the missus has come to see whats up a couple times when she has heard me scream fuck at the top of my voice when i die.

I just get up go outside chill for a minute or 2 get a coffee or a beer or if it was a real long life ( like the near 60 hour life i had) a stiff shot of single barrel jacks lol and click respawn and start again . It should never be the end of the world but when you stop caring that you die the game becomes so much less and i guess its one of the reasons KoS is so full on so many people who dont really care if they live or die in game...

• Like 3

One thing....my first pristine leather jacket. Damn did i love that Sniffles Sniffles*

• Like 1

If you don't die, how will you ever get the chance to compile another super cool outfit?

I will admit to getting a little too attached to things like speed loaders, ammo and pistols. So I know the feeling.

But as hard as it may be, we just have to learn to let go. :P

• Like 1

I had a character..february to 2may...yes i became a littlebit paranoid..had 6 yellow boxes,m4a1 and all the good stuff ect.When i died and respawned new.I played like-"fuck off now when i die,i dont care so much" .After i was pissed off that my 3 month chara was gone i got killed 5-6 times,because i runned around in berenzino like a noob,stopped to be careful,stopped to be paranoid,to be a surival.lol.

Now i found a new rare pressVest again,know my blood type again and geared like solid snake AGAIN.Yes Paranoid again,just with a mosin LRS,bipod,amphibia and magnum xD.I chill outside the citys and watch you on my scope ;) .Peace.

• Like 1

I had one character who still carried some green shotgun shells. Unfortunately he was killed a month or so ago, and since then I haven't really been able to grow attached to my characters. I guess mostly out of boredom, since once you're geared there is nothing to do other than get in firefights. I mostly enjoy those first couple of hours after spawning anew when loot is important and every single item you find is interesting.

I actually went to Berezino today with my fully kitted character with the express purpose to die. Either in a firefight, and wanting that then suicide after having dumped all my gear. Turns out a hacker was haunting the place with his eternal m4-mag and leet teleporter skills, so I died a lot quicker than I thought. I returned with a few newspawns, but was killed as quickly by the hacker. Anyway, I switched server and began a new character, who has already found some cool stuff (spawned near ship and iound worn riders jacket, m4, 1911 pistol on it).

• Like 1

Hey, I still have my pristine ballistic helmet with gas mask. Been alive since mid february.

I am attached to my life more than gear though. Only because I find more good in game when I look at it that way. Doesn't stop me from playing, awesome experience every time I played.

Edited by SGT. Kalme
  • Like 1

I have nothing on my character that I am attached to.  I've been running around trying to find fights and people to kill on a full 40 man server and the majority of the time I find no one and then my adventures take me around the entire map looking for food and drink replacements that I've used up trying to find people.  And due to a poor food/drink and medical system I can run around for hours and not even have to worry about dying.  The only way to die in DayZ atm is to be shot by another player.

• Like 1

I like going on quest to find certain pieces of clothing to build my character. Although right now I never really cared if I died no matter what I had on me, I've been searching for an engraved 1911 for a while, and I know that when I find it, I'll be more paranoid about dying than I ever been before! :D

I wish we had more "variants" and rare versions of most of the guns honestly. But that's just me.

:thumbsup:

I have nothing on my character that I am attached to.  I've been running around trying to find fights and people to kill on a full 40 man server and the majority of the time I find no one and then my adventures take me around the entire map looking for food and drink replacements that I've used up trying to find people.  And due to a poor food/drink and medical system I can run around for hours and not even have to worry about dying.  The only way to die in DayZ atm is to be shot by another player.

Or 1 hit kill by a stealth zombie in your back. Saw my friend drop dead after 1 hit of a zombie. He was healthy, and well equipped, but it was night and we didn't saw the zombie until he was too close. (we never heard a sound either) He leaped and instantly killed Warpath. It happened to me once, but I thought it was a bug at that time.

Other than that, I have to agree. It's pretty hard dying from anything else really. A lot of players die to bugs, but most DayZ mod vets and early SA players knows them and know how to avoid them.

Or 1 hit kill by a stealth zombie in your back. Saw my friend drop dead after 1 hit of a zombie. He was healthy, and well equipped, but it was night and we didn't saw the zombie until he was too close. (we never heard a sound either) He leaped and instantly killed Warpath. It happened to me once, but I thought it was a bug at that time.

Other than that, I have to agree. It's pretty hard dying from anything else really. A lot of players die to bugs, but most DayZ mod vets and early SA players knows them and know how to avoid them.

I'm not sure if damage is registering properly.  I've not been 1 shotted by an infected yet but I have had my jacket ruined in what appears to be 1 hit.  After assessing the one hit I came to a realization that I have been hit multiple times before and my jacket always stayed in pristine condition.  Then all of a sudden another shot takes it from pristine to ruined so I'm thinking it's not registering proper damage to go from pristine to worn to completely ruined.  This doesn't really explain the 1 shot kill but maybe it works the same way.  Even if you're healthy and you've been hit it just registeres all the hits and it finally just take one more at some point in time negating the fact that you are completely healthy.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if damage is registering properly.  I've not been 1 shotted by an infected yet but I have had my jacket ruined in what appears to be 1 hit.  After assessing the one hit I came to a realization that I have been hit multiple times before and my jacket always stayed in pristine condition.  Then all of a sudden another shot takes it from pristine to ruined so I'm thinking it's not registering proper damage to go from pristine to worn to completely ruined.  This doesn't really explain the 1 shot kill but maybe it works the same way.  Even if you're healthy and you've been hit it just registeres all the hits and it finally just take one more at some point in time negating the fact that you are completely healthy.

Same thing happened to my "pristine" riders jacket. Multiple hits and no problem, then 1 random hit got it to "ruined" state. Normally when I'm healthy and take 1 hit it immediately goes to "healing" and back to healthy in a few seconds.

Talking again to Warpath (my friend who got 1 hit killed by a zombie) he told me it happened 5 times in total since patch 44.  They really need to hit you in the head though, so if you're standing, they'll need to leap, but if you're crouched (what happened to me) there's a lot more chances it'll happen. (Can't wait for the experimental branch to come back online for further testing! ;)  )

• Like 1

I had the gas mask/ballistic helmet combo going until this week. Wasn't thinking and found a UN ballistic helmet and switched them which messed it all up. I decided to punish myself for jumping off a building plus it has been a while since I had to regear.

• Like 1

Has a certain item in your possession driven you to a state of paranoia such that you don't want to play your character?

no

Well, I didn't avoid playing with my character but I was very paranoid. I actually died climbing a ladder with my gun out. (Glitch)

I had TTsKO pants (worn) & jacket (pristine), Camo baseball cap (pristine), DPM Assault Vest (pristine), beige jungle boots (pristine), and that's it.

Inside them was an FNX with a mag and a red dot sight, 3 yellow boxes with shitloads of .45 rounds, a compass, a knife, food, a canteen etc. inside them.

The pristine camo baseball cap is an artifact, I think it's one of the hardest items to find. I have only seen 2 of them pristine.

Edited by Sutinen

The first time I had night-vision goggles, range finders and a GPS in the mod I was too scared to go anywhere or do anything. xD

• Like 1

story

Whats all this banned stuff? lol

..and yes, at one point after they made the Mosin rare and the LRS was still rare.. I coveted the hell out of my Camo Mosin with both scopes, comp. and bipod all pristine with over 300 rounds on me..

After a while I got sick of who I had become and gave it all away and commited suicide by approaching a bandit gang of kids and flipping them off after talking shit to them.. it was a predictable headshot to say the least. And I felt so much better after I gave my gear away (community event posted online the giveaway.. just laid it all on the floor in the NWAF tent city and let people fight over full pristine gear.), it was like a weight was lifted off of me. So far its still one of only 2 deaths I have ever been dealt... dying on purpose with that character. I highly recommend you do the same Rick.. 

Run to a city, find a noob.. give him everything. Then go jump off a building or run through the streets naked shouting "YOUR MOTHER IS AN ANIMAL YOU SON OF A B*$#%!" ala Raging Bull, Bob DeNiro. 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 2

I've had a few characters with interesting loadouts that I like, but generally I'm not too upset when they die. But then there's...

kClkf9A.jpg

That thing is gorgeous!!  B)  (Can't wait to find one!!)  Mind if I ask where you found it? I'm looking around mostly military spawns, office building (the one people call "school") or fire stations.

• Like 1

That thing is gorgeous!!  B)  (Can't wait to find one!!)  Mind if I ask where you found it? I'm looking around mostly military spawns, office building (the one people call "school") or fire stations.

Im tempted to just give you mine.. got any yellow cases you'll trade for it? ;)

Ive found all of mine in the jail buildings I believe.. so look there. NWAF is kind to the traveler, it has 5 of them within walking distance. 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

Im tempted to just give you mine.. got any yellow cases you'll trade for it? ;)

Ive found all of mine in the jail buildings I believe.. so look there. NWAF is kind to the traveler, it has 5 of them within walking distance. 

I do have Protective cases on me. (got one pristine) Hardcore servers?

Anything else you would like? This is mostly what I got on me.  http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/185071-post-your-gear-so-far/page-39#entry1960427