SmashT

Experimental Branch saw many changes in 0.44

Have the experimental DE-01  thru DE-04 been taken offline, or changed IP address? I can't find them .

They are offline. I should've checked it before I upgraded to expetimental again. :D

Sounds like a pretty massive change. Right now the game cannot use more than 2GB of memory due to being 32-bit, there would be little benefit right now to changing it because the game client doesn't currently use more than that but it would allow you to use a lot more memory in the future, if it happens it is a long way off though as no 64-bit client even exists so considering dropping 32-bit support is purely an academic argument. 64-bit server however will have a much greater impact right now, thankfully they have that done already and will be in experimental soon.

64 bit is my grate hope for this game. please focus on zombies and persistence backpacks after that. this would be like a smaler version of the full game. at the time it feels like the community wait for the root of this game.  for me it is survive the zombies and have a place to come back with your friends..build something up. backpacks are the first little step.and not kos and loot

For those arguing about boars instead of pigs and all that during ww2 many french when fleeing paris during the german invasion let there wild stock (including pigs) free to give them a chance to survive whilst they were out of the country, this would almost definetly be the case in an apocalypse when the population flees the infected zone. But boars will be added along side pigs.

For those arguing about boars instead of pigs and all that during ww2 many french when fleeing paris during the german invasion let there wild stock (including pigs) free to give them a chance to survive whilst they were out of the country, this would almost definetly be the case in an apocalypse when the population flees the infected zone. But boars will be added along side pigs.

No, they won't..

Here's what people are misunderstanding here: THERE ARE NO DOMESTIC PIGS IN THE WILD.

NONE.

ZERO.

They don't exist!

Why?

Because domestic pigs, once released into the wild, ACTUALLY TRANSFORM INTO WILD BOARS.

Yes.. They grow thick bristles, tusks, and their noses actually extend so they can root better. So it doesn't matter if "pigs got released from farms!", because even if that was the case, those "farm" pigs would quickly revert to their feral state and become BOARS. Pigs and Boars are the exact same species of mammal.

Well as far as I can tell (I needed to google this...) domestic pigs are a distinct subspecies of wild boar and despite various physical changes that may occur, if they become 'feral', they are not actually biologically changing into wild boars. Did you know there is such a thing as a 'pig toilet'? ...poor bastards...

Edited by Hoik

I don't think domestic pigs would make it past the first winter in northern hemisphere. The temperatures in moderate climate regions go down to -25°C (-13°F) and these pigs are naked (besides a few bristles).

Ya I think most domestic pigs would die , especially if feral animals like wolves and bears could roam into farms without having to worry about people . and a "domestic" pig (pure bred lets say for this example ) would most likely never turn feral in its life time, although people claim that they "go feral" after 6 weeks that's just a misconception that actually just become aggressive as they are trying to now fend for themselves.. . It would need to mate with a feral pig , then the offspring would be feral (or at least in part ) and I've heard any domestic pig can grow hair and small tusks if it lives long enough..... Bacon ...

"Any pig that gets out can revert back in a matter of months to a state where it can exist in the wild," said Brown. "It will get hairy, grow tusks and get aggressive. They're so good at adapting, and with their scavenging nature, they can get by pretty much anywhere."

Taken from: http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/outdoors/2007/11/domestic_pigs_quickly_revert_t.html

Also:

How Long Does It Take for a Pig to Turn into a Wild Boar?

The length of time that it takes for a pig to turn into a wild boar can be a few weeks or a few months. It does not take long. Once the pig is let out into the wild it will revert into a wild boar.

Taken from: http://www.ask.com/question/how-long-does-it-take-for-a-pig-to-turn-into-a-wild-boar

Also:

The domestic pig is most often treated as a subspecies of its wild ancestor, the wild boar, which was given the name Sus scrofa by Carl Linnaeus in 1758, in which case its formal name is Sus scrofa domesticus.[9][10]  In 1777, Johann Christian Polycarp Erxleben treated the domestic pig as a separate species from the wild boar.  He gave it the name Sus domesticus, which is still used by some taxonomists.[11][12]  Wild boar were in human association as early as 13,000–12,700 BC.

Taken from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_pig

Note: Domestic pigs and wild boars are THE SAME SPECIES of animal. The only difference is that one is domesticated, and the other is feral.

Just more proof that 1/2 the people on these forums are talking out of their ass 1/2 the time. Domestic pigs would not "quickly die" in the wild... they would become wild boars an thrive. They can eat just about anything, they grow bristles and fur to protect them from the elements, they grow tusk to protect them from predators, they're physically very hardy and tough, and they can also grow in size. Larger animals have better protection against cold due not only to an increase in fat, but also their decreased surface area per pound of flesh, meaning they can retain heat easier..Boars quickly and easily make this conversation from small domestic animal to hardy wild animal.

PS: All of this leads to the conclusion that the pigs in DayZ should not be bald and without tusks.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

I think the point that has become lost here is that there is a team designing animals for players to hunt and they cannot create every variant of critter instantly.  So this "first batch" will be limited to a few animals intended for hunting. 

Given that circumstance, if any intellectually honest person was to create a list of animals to hunt in the Russian wild the fact remains the freed domesticated pigs would rank like 25th behind freed domesticated cows.  On that same list, an informed hunter would probably rank wild boar #1 or #2 as they are very prevalent in the wild (in these parts of the world), healthy to eat, and fairly easy to hunt.

Most of us were merely posting feedback about the model they displayed because maybe... just maybe, the artist assigned to "go make some pigs to hunt" may not be a real life hunter and maybe... just maybe, he didn't know the difference between wild boar until he read this forum.

It was feedback.

Remember this, hunting a domesticated pig will mean walking up to it and shooting it in the head.  It may even come to you if it thinks you are feeding it.  No stalking, no difficult shots, nothing.  Is this how you wanted hunting in this game?

• Like 3

*snip*

Just more proof that 1/2 the people on these forums are talking out of their ass 1/2 the time.

*snip*

Besides your very detailed information (thanks for that) this is a rather polemic way to discuss... I just heared about dozends of pigs that died inside their stable of hypothermia somewhere in austria. Thats the base of my assumptions, not my butt.  <_<

Edited by Agilov

Besides your very detailed information (thanks for that) this is a rather polemic way to discuss... I just heared about dozends of pigs that died inside their stable of hypothermia somewhere in austria. Thats the base of my assumptions, not my butt.  <_<

For the record, I was not directing my comment to you, specifically. It was more of a generalization. Also, the pigs died because they were kept in a stable.. ie: domestic.

For the record, I was not directing my comment to you, specifically. It was more of a generalization. Also, the pigs died because they were kept in a stable.. ie: domestic.

My butt says you have a point there.  ;)

Edited by Agilov

Time for my butt to speak:

Feral Pigs:

Domestic pigs can escape and quite readily become feral, and feral populations are problematic in several ways. They can cause significant amount of damage to trees and other vegetation and may feed on the eggs of ground-nesting birds and turtles.[72] Feral pigs often interbreed with wild boar, producing descendants similar in appearance to wild boar; these can then be difficult to distinguish from natural or introduced true wild boar. The characterisation of populations as feral pig, escaped domestic pig or wild boar is usually decided by where the animals are encountered and what is known of their history. In New Zealand, for example, feral pigs are known as "Captain Cookers" from their supposed descent from liberations and gifts to Māori by explorer Captain James Cook in the 1770s.[73] New Zealand feral pigs are also frequently known as "tuskers", due to their appearance.

One characteristic by which domestic and feral animals are differentiated is their coats. Feral animals almost always have thick, bristly coats ranging in colour from brown through grey to black. A prominent ridge of hair matching the spine is also common, giving rise to the name razorback in the southern United States, where they are common. The tail is usually long and straight. Feral animals tend also to have longer legs than domestic breeds and a longer and narrower head and snout.

A very large swine dubbed Hogzilla was shot in Georgia, United States, in June 2004.[74] Initially thought to be a hoax, the story became something of an internet sensation. National Geographic Explorer investigated the story, sending scientists into the field. After exhuming the animal and performing DNA testing, it was determined that Hogzilla was a hybrid of wild boar and domestic swine.[75] As of 2008, the estimated population of 4 million feral pigs caused an estimated US$800 million of property damage per year in the U.S.[76]

The problematic nature of feral hogs has caused several states in the U.S. to declare feral hogs to be an invasive species. Often, these states will have greatly reduced (or even non-existent) hunting regulations regarding feral hogs. In Missouri, no hunting permit is required for the taking of wild boar; hunters may take as many as they like with any weapon. The Missouri Department of Conservation requests that hunters who encounter feral hogs shoot them on sight.[77] Caution is advised, as feral pigs can use their tusks defensively, and hog hunters consider them dangerous when injured or cornered.[78] Similarly, in Texas, the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department allows them to be taken at any time of the year, by any method, with no limit; the only rules are that a person must have a hunting license and permission of the landowner.[79]

At the beginning of the 20th century, wild boar were introduced for hunting in the United States, where they interbred in parts with free roaming domestic pigs. In South America, New Guinea, New Zealand, Australia and other islands, wild boar have also been introduced by humans and have partially interbred with domestic pigs.

In South America, also during the early 20th century, free-ranging boars were introduced in Uruguay for hunting purposes and eventually crossed the border into Brazil sometime during the 1990s, quickly becoming an invasive species, licensed private hunting of both feral boars and hybrids (javaporcos) being allowed from August 2005 on in the Southern Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul,[80] although their presence as a pest had been already noticed by the press as early as 1994.[81] Releases and escapes from unlicensed farms (established because of increased demand for boar meat as an alternative to pork), however, continued to bolster feral populations and by mid-2008 licensed hunts had to be expanded to the states of Santa Catarina and São Paulo.[82] Such licensed hunts were, however, forbidden in 2010 by IBAMA, which argued the necessity of additional studies for devising a strategy of pest control for boars. Meanwhile, boars and boar crosses were spotted in the State of Rio de Janeiro, where cases of crop raiding were reported in the municipality of Porciuncula. There was also the danger of an escape from an unlicensed farm in Nova Friburgo, which was closed in December 2011, all 316 animals being sent to an abattoir.[83] In October 2010, a rural worker was killed by a boar in Ibiá, in the State of Minas Gerais.

Recently established Brazilian boar populations are not to be confused with long established populations of feral domestic pigs, which have existed mainly in the Pantanal for more than a hundred years, along with native peccaries. The demographic dynamics of the interaction between feral pigs populations and those of the two native species of peccaries (Collared Peccary and White-lipped Peccary) is obscure and is being studied presently. It has been proposed that the existence of feral pigs could somewhat ease jaguar predation on peccary populations, as jaguars would show a preference for hunting pigs, when these are available.[84]

Feral hogs can rapidly increase their population. Sows can have up to 10 offspring per litter, and are able to have two litters per year. Each piglet reaches sexual maturity at 6 months of age. They have virtually no natural predators.[85]

Feral pigs removal can restore native Hawaiian rain forest in several years.[86]

The problem is you insisting that wild boars and feral pigs are the same thing - as far as I can tell they are not.

All of this leads to the conclusion that the pigs in DayZ should not be bald and without tusks.

So I think this statement is correct - but not because they 'turn into wild boars'. Though they may take on similar appearance to wild boars, domesticated pigs and their feral counterparts remain a distinct sub-species!

Feral Pig:

2qmdpg9.jpg

EDIT: Obviously that first quote IS NOT from Etherimp.

Edited by Hoik

Time for my butt to speak:

The problem is you insisting that wild boars and feral pigs are the same thing - as far as I can tell they are not.

So I think this statement is correct - but not because they 'turn into wild boars'. Though they may take on similar appearance to wild boars, domesticated pigs and their feral counterparts remain a distinct sub-species!

Feral Pig:

2qmdpg9.jpg

EDIT: Obviously that first quote IS NOT from Etherimp.

Look at the species of Wild Boar, and look at the species of Domestic pig ... They're the same species, the only difference is the "domestic" part, which was originally coined by Carl Linnaeus in 1758.. 

Historically, wild populations of swine in the United States were derived from two types of founding stock: (1) Eurasian wild boar; and (2) domestic/captive-feral swine (Wood and Barrett 1979, Mayer and Brisbin 1991). The introduced wild boar were released in specific areas to provide huntable game. Domestic/captive-feral swine either were released under open range conditions to fend for themselves or escaped confinement and became wild-living. In places where the two forms were sympatric, hybridization occurred. Sportsman interest in wild swine as game animals has led to countless subsequent releases and relocations of various combinations of these forms with the intent of either establishing new populations or “improving” existing populations (Mayer and Brisbin 1991). Prior to the mid 1980s, all of the wild boar populations in this country had been hybridized to some extent with the feral hog genotype. Beginning in 1986, there have been at least two importations of pure Eurasian wild boar into the United States. Although none of these animals has been documented as having been used to start a wild population, given the interest in pure wild boar as big game and the history of such stocking efforts in this country, the potential for such an occurrence is almost certain. Therefore, it currently is possible to encounter wild populations that might vary from pure feral hog to pure Eurasian wild boar in composition.

-snip-

Conclusions

The ability to distinguish among the three forms of wild Sus scrofa in the United States has improved over the past 50 years, but still remains somewhat insufficient. Morphological characters in adult animals can enable one to determine if a specimen in question resembles a pure Eurasian wild boar or feral hog, but only hybrids exhibiting a mixture of both wild boar and feral characters can be absolutely identified as such. Based solely on morphological characters, animals which appear to be either pure wild boar or feral hogs could in fact be from the respective parental ends of the hybrid spectrum. Cytological methods of identification are even less reliable than the morphological approach. Genotypic and molecular genetic methods may have promise with regards to being able to resolve identification problems, but both require more work to fully assess the capabilities of these methods.

Source: https://agrilife.org/texnatwildlife/feral-hogs/distinguishing-feral-hogs-from-introduced-wild-boar/

Fact: Domestic pigs, once released into the wild, become feral and become "boar-like" in behavior and appearance.

Fact: It's very difficult to pin-point and identify the difference between a feral domestic pig, and an introduced wild boar.

Fact: They are the same species of animal (Sus scrofa), and are only divided into "sub-species" based on their looks, measurements, and behaviors.. Which, as we've established, changes dramatically between being feral and domestic.

Fact: They freely hybridize/crossbreed.

The wiki that you linked does not undermine anything I've said. It's vague at best.

And, finally, to put the nail in the coffin of this debate:

Wild Boar / Feral Hog Facts

The big question is, "What is the difference between a wild boar and a feral hog?"

The right answer is, "Very little."

The real Eurasian Pig, often called a "Russian Boar," is the original hog. It was from these wild lines that pigs were domesticated some 10,000 years ago. The first hogs in North America were brought to Florida in 1539 with the Spaniards. There were no hogs of any kind in North America prior to that introduction. (The javelina or collared peccary of the U.S. desert southwest and Mexico is not a true swine. It is a species unto itself.) Naturally, it wasn't long until some of these domestic pigs escaped and established themselves as the original wild boar populations in the Americas.

Over the following centuries, especially the 19th and 20th, some true Eurasian Wild Boar were brought into the U.S. at various times by hunting preserves and private landowners to offer for hunting and to revive the "look" of Eurasian boar in their huntable feral hog herds. However, in North America today, all free ranging wild hogs are either generations of domestic pigs reverted to the wild or at most feral hogs hybridized with escaped Eurasian boar.

After only a generation or two in the wild, domestic hogs regain many traits of their ancestors including longer hair and protruding tusks. This is why it is possible to see wild boar in North America in nearly any color and spot pattern common to domestic hogs as well as animals that look very "Russian." The true Eurasian Wild Boar has longer straight hair and is uniformly colored in dark brown trending toward black.

In feral hogs in North America, average weights vary between 75 and 250 pounds at maturity. Hunters and trappers occasionally take 300 pounders or slightly bigger pigs in optimal habitat conditions. Feral hogs of 500 pounds or more sometimes make the front page of local newspapers, but they are exceedingly rare.

Eurasian boar in their home ranges average between 100-200 pounds at maturity, though seem to vary nearly as widely in size as their North American cousins. Generally speaking, they are larger-bodied the farther they are from the equator in either direction. This is a common trait among animals that live over a great north/south range. Consider the white-tailed deer. In the northern hemisphere southern subspecies are smaller-bodied and northern subspecies are larger. Among zoologists it's called Bergmann's Rule.

Hog populations can grow so rapidly that there's an urban legend type belief among some that "they are born pregnant." That's not the case, but they are among the most prolific animals on the face of the earth. Sows average 1.5 litters per year ... and since that's an average it means some have even more! Average litter size is six piglets. Sows generally have their first litter at just over a year of age, but they can be sexually mature at six to eight months of age or even less. Because of their proclivity for proliferation, some studies in Texas have shown that the huge population there (estimated at nearly 3 million feral hogs) could double in just more than five years!

Eurasian Wild Boar populations are also growing in much of their original and reestablished range. In Germany, for example, there are reports that average litters are getting bigger and that the animals are far more common in suburban and even urban environments. Large and growing populations are also found in Australia, New Zealand, and South America.

Wild boar and feral hogs are opportunistic omnivores which is a fancy way of saying they'll eat about anything they can find when they can find it, including carrion. It's estimated that, in general, about 80 percent of their diet is plant material and 20 percent is animal matter. The animal matter can be anything they can catch, corner or find dead.

Feral hogs and wild boar have a superbly developed sense of smell which can detect preferred food sources even several feet below the ground. Their sense of smell is also their Number One defense against predators including human hunters. They can also hear and interpret sound well, so quiet stalking is essential. Their least developed sense is sight, so it's possible to get away with some movement in stalking hogs ... sometimes.

https://www.outfittersrating.com/species/featured-species/wild-boars-and-feral-pigs

Edited by Etherimp

I don't argue with any of the facts you propose, just that there is a difference between a wild boar and a feral pig - no matter if it is insignificant. The fact the term 'hybridization' is used when describing the mating of a feral pig and wild boar suggests to me there is a mixing of unique characteristics.

Anyway I think we agree! The pig model (though very impressive) should probably look more like a wild boar and less like a domesticated pig, for authenticity's sake.

• Like 1

We don't know has the apocalypse started only a week ago.

hahaha ... hey, at least we came to a consensus! 

• Like 1

arguing about pigs on the internet.. you must be first world white kids

We could spend our time discussing the three day workshop to try to reduce the prevalence of suicide in South Australia's remote Indigenous population which begins today, but I just remembered this is a computer game forum which contains a thread displaying a WIP digital pig for people to sit in their homes and pretend to hunt in a zombie game.  So yea...  seems pretty damn appropriate place for such discussion. 

Your attempt to patronize us here is quite misplaced. 

Everyone likes a cynic liquidcactus.

• Like 1

From the looks of it, this warsaw post apoc shit hole is coming along nicely!

I don't argue with any of the facts you propose, just that there is a difference between a wild boar and a feral pig - no matter if it is insignificant. The fact the term 'hybridization' is used when describing the mating of a feral pig and wild boar suggests to me there is a mixing of unique characteristics.

Anyway I think we agree! The pig model (though very impressive) should probably look more like a wild boar and less like a domesticated pig, for authenticity's sake.

White people and Black people easily hybridize... But they're the same species, even though they have slight genetic differences. We're all human the same as Feral pigs and wild boars are all "pig".

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

I think this should be the final word on the matter:

Edited by Hoik
  • Like 3