kichilron

Stable Branch: 0.44 Discussion

MORE BUGS THAN IT FIXED, THANK YOU!

Jep, alpha = bug adding stage of the game. (Also some game mechanics might be added, but that's just a side effect)

Once, when bugs have been added enough, the beta phase starts with fixing and polishing them.

We got new mouse input, will there also be new keyboard input? I'm specifically asking concerning melee. I guess the input is ok for a game like arma, but when you get close and personal, you kind of need more responsiveness in things like sideway juming, jumping as such (how often do I jump over fence with mixed results), melee attacks as such (currently there is only hitting one way with every weapon, fixed lowered stance is not really what I mean here).

Can anyone answer if something is planned there? And please don't start a war over this, I just want to know...

Edited by bautschi

We got new mouse input, will there also be new keyboard input? I'm specifically asking concerning melee. I guess the input is ok for a game like arma, but when you get close and personal, you kind of need more responsiveness in things like sideway juming, jumping as such (how often do I jump over fence with mixed results), melee attacks as such (currently there is only hitting one way with every weapon, fixed lowered stance is not really what I mean here).

Can anyone answer if something is planned there? And please don't start a war over this, I just want to know...

Well I think obviously they do plan to change all that but I get what you mean it would be nice if they sorted out the responsiveness sooner than some other things.

I often find myself having to mash the 1 button to take my axe out because my guy just stands there while zombies are coming at him, same with taking a gun out it takes forever to you to be able to defend yourself.

Unless you're using a knife then it's in your hand instantly.

Jumping is a problem too especially since zombies can run through fences, I'm always finding that my character even though he was running has to stop and slowly step over a fence, which lets the zombie catch up and usually get a few hits in...

I know everything can't just instantly be fixed at once but I hope responsiveness is the next thing.

Used the crossbow for the first time yesterday and I love it.  A few things about it though...

1. It has a massive lag following the mouse, maybe like 2 seconds or so.

2. I have a quiver that only holds 5 bolts,  I would like a quiver to hold more bolts. 

3. I can't strap the quiver to my back or leg, it sits in my book bag.  Terrible.

4. If I can't have a larger quiver or have it hold more bolts, then I should at least be able to take my bolt back from the zombie.  I assume this might be a feature when the zombies eventually become lootable.

5. I also don't get a good vibe when it comes to the bolt connecting to its target.  I'm not sure how to explain this one, but, I feel like I shoot the bolt and I hear the cool little sound and the zombie drops.  I guess since the bolt hitting the zombie doesn't make a noise & the zombie not really showing animation that it got hit by a bolt makes it seem like it didn't happen even though he is dead on the floor.

Well I think obviously they do plan to change all that but I get what you mean it would be nice if they sorted out the responsiveness sooner than some other things.

I often find myself having to mash the 1 button to take my axe out because my guy just stands there while zombies are coming at him, same with taking a gun out it takes forever to you to be able to defend yourself.

Unless you're using a knife then it's in your hand instantly.

Jumping is a problem too especially since zombies can run through fences, I'm always finding that my character even though he was running has to stop and slowly step over a fence, which lets the zombie catch up and usually get a few hits in...

I know everything can't just instantly be fixed at once but I hope responsiveness is the next thing.

Actually I'm thinking more about evasion like in other games more geared to melee, for example Dark Souls comes to mind. Now of course you don't need to wheel-barrel around though stuff or so, but maybe jump to the side? Currently you can only run, walk and hit - or just stand still I guess.

Arma wasn't created like melee games such as Dark Souls or other games like it, but melee against zeds or even other players is more of a focus, also because you might not even have a ranged weapon or the neccessary ammo. Currently I would call melee underdeveloped for a game where you go close up against zeds and other players. I just don't look forward to circeling zeds for years with an axe. Zeds are worked on, I get that, but is melee as such also going to be overhauled, or will it remain as basic as it is? Maybe all that is so deep in the existing engine that it will not be worth it to work on it, but I'd like to know.

Actually I'm thinking more about evasion like in other games more geared to melee, for example Dark Souls comes to mind. Now of course you don't need to wheel-barrel around though stuff or so, but maybe jump to the side? Currently you can only run, walk and hit - or just stand still I guess.

Arma wasn't created like melee games such as Dark Souls or other games like it, but melee against zeds or even other players is more of a focus, also because you might not even have a ranged weapon or the neccessary ammo. Currently I would call melee underdeveloped for a game where you go close up against zeds and other players. I just don't look forward to circeling zeds for years with an axe. Zeds are worked on, I get that, but is melee as such also going to be overhauled, or will it remain as basic as it is? Maybe all that is so deep in the existing engine that it will not be worth it to work on it, but I'd like to know.

I don't think they can do too much with it except maybe add variation to the attacks, maybe you could hold the attack button for a sweep with an axe, forcing a zombie to crawl or to break players legs.

When you have tons of gear on it's not really realistic to be able to roll and dive about so I don't think that's the way to go, it's unrealistic enough that you can run full speed with a mountain backpack, axe, rifle and tons of other items.

Diving to the side sounds cool but in actuality you'd have to wait until your character scrambled to his feet too and rolling in real life can lead to injury, plus with a big backpack on there's going to be problems.

So short off adding varied attack patterns and making combat smoother there's not much they can do sadly.

Join a server, 5 seconds in i realise it's a broken/dead one (Authentication timeout) join another one - Fresh spawn. You have got to be fucking kidding me... Sort this. Sort this before you sort anything out, this is a game breaking bug and really puts me off wanting to play it again knowing a character that has survived over 4 days with full Military grade loot has just... disappeared into cyber space, what a joke. Didn't happen to me on any other version neither the latest patch has literally broken this game.

Edit: It could be Steam actually. Noticed when exiting the game it said i had "no connection" neither me or my friend can sign into Steam, will post/edit again for definite if it's a game error or a steam network error.

Edited by Aj90lfc

Join a server, 5 seconds in i realise it's a broken/dead one (Authentication timeout) ...

Same happening to me right now, tried several regular servers,  after like 20 seconds or so I get Authentification Timeouts. I played like 30 minutes, then this started  - really just now, I just gave up. The char is not erased though. I saw myself sitting on the ground plenty of times now too, damn am I good looking.

EDIT: Ok, the steam servers are currently in maintainance, maybe that's it? In that case you might just be lucky and get your char back, who knows?

Edited by bautschi

are most server fucked or is it steam? i mean i join and i cant use anything just receiving, cant put anything in my arms, cant open doors, i tried joining 10 different eu server (each with a 200 second timer yay), uk, gb, de nothing helped.

Edited by Rhygar666

are most server fucked or is it steam? i mean i join and i cant use anything just receiving, cant put anything in my arms, cant open doors, i tried joining 10 different eu server (each with a 200 second timer yay), uk, gb, de nothing helped.

10 servers and you have to wait 200 seconds each time? Now this is annoying, I will try some servers but I must say I'm having zero problems with joining them at the moment.

Nope my character is completely gone, good job guys good job indeed.

Whats with the new melee system? the axe is weaker than the fists

Not too happy with the extreme rubberbanding and desyncing that this patch has introduced.

Not too happy with the extreme rubberbanding and desyncing that this patch has introduced.

Yeah cause you know its not your internet or anything *rolls eyes*

Servers on stable are fine as long as they are not full. Experimental ones are lagging as hell, that's true.

Sneaky bastards, the zombies go upstairs on stable now, i have discovered it in the most unpleasant way lol

Keep it up!!!

Hit a zombie in the head with an axe several times, still kept chasing me. Please stop making the zombies more dangerous and aggressive until you actually fix the things. Had one chasing me yesterday about 20 feet behind me and it was still hitting me. Alpha or no alpha, this is the same kind of problems we had with the mod, so not much has changed.

• Like 4

Yeah cause you know its not your internet or anything *rolls eyes*

What makes you think it is?

Servers on stable are fine as long as they are not full. Experimental ones are lagging as hell, that's true.

From the issues I've experienced,

Pre-patch: Mostly stable connection, with some rubberbanding and desync every now and then, high in frequency though low in duration.

Post-patch: Mostly stable connection, with extreme rubberbanding and longlasting desyncs, low in frequency, though high in duration.

My friend despite having the same ISP, and a slower connection doesn't experience the desyncs post patch, but did experience desyncs pre-patch. Which means that the experience is different per user, and not so much per server. Though some servers, despite them not being geographically farther, still provide issues where others do not.

Edited by Ghostflux

Hit a zombie in the head with an axe several times, still kept chasing me. Please stop making the zombies more dangerous and aggressive until you actually fix the things. Had one chasing me yesterday about 20 feet behind me and it was still hitting me. Alpha or no alpha, this is the same kind of problems we had with the mod, so not much has changed.

Yeah zombies might as well be Gods.

In first person it's a lot easier to kill them with a head shot though but they're still way too OP.

I think this server timer needs to be sorted out big time, I know server hopping is a problem but is there no way to tell if somebody is doing that?

I was playing a server a good couple of hours then it got super laggy so I thought I'd leave.

Joined another favourite server.

500 second wait, seriously? And it hadn't just restarted or anything nor was it full only had like 9 people.

It's great that people can't server hop to spam loot drops but they should find a way to detect if that's what people are doing, if the server you were on or you yourself experienced some severe lag before you quit the game should know that and give you a break.

Also it's not specific servers it just seems to have a set time around 500 seconds, I can try join server A 500 seconds...wait for 20 seconds and try server B, 480 seconds and it just counts down until finally one is joinable. Then half the time that one is broken or just restarting >.>

Whats with the new melee system? the axe is weaker than the fists

splitting axe -> 4 hit kill right now, disagree. Fists may simply be more desireable to use because of their speed advantage, the fight as takes longer though.

I really don't know where we are going with zeds, we will see. Currently two of my last 4 deaths were caused by zeds indirectly. Once they showed my location at the nwaf to two other players, once I was fistfighting on in a piano house and suddenly gunned down from another player with a pistol. Of course that does not mean that I would have survived those encounters if not for the zeds. Concerning the second death, the other guy might not have gotten the drop on me, if I had had an axe.

You can regularily onehit zeds with axes when supprising them from behind. Doesn't always work though.

Edited by bautschi

Started gearing up again... "We were unable to load your data so you have been reset, a system administrator has been notified" Are you kidding me right now, or am i just the unluckiest person to own this game?

Bunch of guys at the NEAF east admin building in the walls killing people. Killed me twice, so i guess they're just sitting there killing everybody. Insanely selfish. If any hackers can go kill em or teleport them into the ocean, pls do.

The server name is:

[-Zap-] 24/7 Daytime | Resets every 2 hrs

Hardcore

Edited by Thane

Since i am okay with the devs adding more and more content over the time

i am also okay with them adding more bugs.

Performance-tweaking & bugfixing is for beta-stage.

• Like 1