kichilron

Stable Branch: 0.44 Discussion

The new zoom effect is terrible. Aiming is atrocious. (To be clear, this is the visual change and nothing to do with the mouse)

For instance:

Using an M4 ACOG, or using Red Dot, or using iron sight,  my eye position  is now located at the near end of the rifle stock, so the sight is about 18" away from my eye. I can aim better if I take the optical sight off completely. WHY would I hold a sight 2 feet from my eye to aim with it? Now, when I "look down" the sight I can see the WHOLE GUN, with the sight in the middle distance. This is crazy.

This is the same effect with any gunsight, iron sights or optical, on any gun, as far as I have found at present. But I guess most folk know - when you look down a gunsight you do NOT rest your CHIN against the butt end of the gun. Everyone knows that, right?

This has to be the worst effect BI has employed in any of its weapon-related stuff up to the present.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong about this?

I think it is for clearing rooms while ADS.

The zoom compensates for it. When you ADS now it is zoomed out slightly and when you hold RMB it becomes the "normal" distance, like it was before.

I think this is a great change and helps immensely when ADS indoors.

But I can understand you being put off by it, but IMO it is to help with aiming indoors, but I could be wrong.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83
  • Like 1

If the zombies are made of steel, then fair enough, realistically they should not take 20 hits to the face with any metal weapon to take down.

It's easier just to put up your firsts and cave their bleeding skulls in with your bare hands. :rolleyes:

It's easier just to put up your firsts and cave their bleeding skulls in with your bare hands. :rolleyes:

That just adds to the current irritation.

• Like 3

i ahve an idea, guys. along with a flashlight, you spawn with a cyanide pill you can take or use on yourself with a 90% chance of death- otherwise you have an immunity or soemthing of the sort. that would fix the suicide button ordeal and create a wierd, Battle Royal feeling to the whole random people on a deserted russian penisnsula thng- gives some backstory.

CYANIDE PILLS

I'm glad someone is addressing this issue. So fucking tired of having to carry 2 or 3 items to kill myself. Even then, it's usually a waiting game. This is some shit that should have been added loooong ago. 

I'm glad someone is addressing this issue. So fucking tired of having to carry 2 or 3 items to kill myself. Even then, it's usually a waiting game. This is some shit that should have been added loooong ago. 

... just carry morphine if it's broken legs that are the problem.

I see you're probably new here on the forums. If you didn't know there are groups of people willing to provide medical assistance to people in dire situations.

If you're interested: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/160262-need-medical-assistance-in-dayz-sa-find-your-medic-here/

Edited by Nails

The new zoom effect is terrible. Aiming is atrocious. (To be clear, this is the visual change and nothing to do with the mouse)

For instance:

Using an M4 ACOG, or using Red Dot, or using iron sight,  my eye position  is now located at the near end of the rifle stock, so the sight is about 18" away from my eye. I can aim better if I take the optical sight off completely. WHY would I hold a sight 2 feet from my eye to aim with it? Now, when I "look down" the sight I can see the WHOLE GUN, with the sight in the middle distance. This is crazy.

This is the same effect with any gunsight, iron sights or optical, on any gun, as far as I have found at present. But I guess most folk know - when you look down a gunsight you do NOT rest your CHIN against the butt end of the gun. Everyone knows that, right?

This has to be the worst effect BI has employed in any of its weapon-related stuff up to the present.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong about this?

If your FOV is altered to be a bit more zoomed out, then you will see this. Set the FOV to default and it should be fine.

I have a 760 and my mate has a 780 we both have never had the game rolled to max but post patch my frames and his frames are vastly improved i guess it was hit and miss optimization im sorry to hear others didnt get the perfomance boost

??? I have a 680 and it's maxed...???

Don't comment about the realism of firearms or optics if you don't take a minute to look up what they actually do and how they are positioned.

A red-dot or reflex sight does not sit up in your face next to your cheek weld it sits down the rail. If you think it's too zoomed out then your FOV is possibly set too high.

• Like 1

What is up with the my M4A1 sights?  The BUIS and RV1 RDS Optics don't look like anything like it did before the patch.  The view is no better than leaving it third person.  ACOG appears fine and unaffected by this update.   Not enjoying the taking-ages-to-kill zombies.   I understand and enjoy that this is a zombie themed game, but Good Lord it should not feel like a huge time consuming task.

• Like 1

I've noticed the binoculars have an attachment dropdown, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what can attach to them, anyone figure this out?

I don't think that u should be able 2 kill a zombie in 9 hits with a fire fighters axe. I personally think that it should be 1-3 hits with an axe with or without hitting the zombies head.

its a shame the akm didn't make it in

few questions:

did the quiver and engraved 1911 make it in?

anyone have new pic of the hat they added

is the new town there or no?

are berries still infinite?

is it only fnx sight that needs batteries or the m4 sights as well?

yes, found quiver and skull engraved 1911. didn t meet any room glitcher, but still, in some cases, one can see through (some) walls in 3P-off servers. also, if a player drops dead near a corner, the body becomes trapped in the wall and cannot be looted. zeds are very chaotic regarding walls, some of them are really trying to use the doors but some are still going through walls. besides, they learned to use the stairs again. please make the walls solid, devs, it's been a while now...

Edited by kapnobatai
  • Like 1

waiting for months for a major update, i find that changelog rather freakin disappointing. it's end of april and i thought we would be getting the things you've announced at pax by now, that is, fireplaces, hunting, new akm, throwing objects, new towns, etc

seriously devs, how long does this gonna take? h1z1 hasnt even been released yet and it already looks more polished (even if it's a bit cartoony) than dayz standalone will probably ever be in the next months. with that slow speed of development, i dont foresee that you manage to implement even half the things on the roadmap of this year.

not to mention, core mechanics like solid netcode, performance, anti-cheat/clipping, character wipes still haven't been sorted out and continue to ruin the game experience.

i still wish you the very best of luck though. you look like you'll really need it

• Like 5

Took me a second or two on how much the meele damage on Z's was nerved. My black assault vest, took me ages to find it, now it's already badly damaged. ^_^ But I like it. Makes the fights against the Z's more intense and "realistic". It was boring at times. "Oh, a zombie, wait, yes, let's take out the good old firefighter axe....aaand he's gone. Oh, another one..."

I like how they fall down if you give them a blow to the body and they stand up again.

And another thing about the Z's animation I like. I am not sure if I have never seen this before, or if it's new. There was a Z wandering about, apparently pointless, he didn't notice me and then seemed to be searching something on the ground. If that was a feature, it really looked cool.

A good patch so far. :beans:

• Like 1

Feels like I gain some fps, and game seems to work smoother.

Really loving how controlling the character feels. 

I like the new mouse controls and the new zoom system. I have played with fire axe, magnum, SKS and it feels great. I had to readjust the mouse sensitivity, but it is great. You can turn and look with the same speed with or without a gun in your hands. The difference between pistol and SKS is that pistol is aimed to a new direction more quickly than SKS. The gun is coming right after the white dot (or center of the screen) with a delay based on weapon dexterity. To me this seems very realistic while mouse sensitivity is kept constant.

Indeed, the iron sight is not zoomed-in anymore, you have to keep right mouse button pressed to keep the zoomed iron sight. I use the default field of view and I see no problems.

I have to say that there is still lag with switching weapons. I have to press the key several times. Also, after hitting a zombie to the head with fireaxe, he keeps walking a few meters and then he collapse to the ground and dies. This is not a bad thing, but I know that this was not intended. I have very good ping and that is why I am a little worried about this because you have said that there is a new guaranteed network messaging system. While this will improve performance, I am asking if this will resolve desync issues like this described above.

• Like 1

• World: New Ash Tree model

What is this for? can we chop it to get ashwood sticks for bow? Dev's please comment on the relevance of a tree in the changelog.

• Like 1

After testing some more hours

New mouse controle ( has been mentioned a lot of times now):

It feels like CoD without a weapon in your hand and WITH your weapon you can spin like crazy while proning

Crossbow:

Insane damage, but it feels like a 100% miss weapon above ~40meters. At least all my Bolts go too high ( in my view, a friend watching me said it goes too low - made me beeing confused )+ Bolts disappear if shooting Zs +     Bolts disappearing when hitting trees ( at least 3/4 arrows disappeared - all have been shot straight into a tree in a good angle ) and bolts are

somewhat buggy in inventory

FPS improvements:

I don't know whether it is my new i7 or the patch that improved my FPS since I couldn't test the old version with my new i7. @Vybor it is not 

I have like 30 fps instead of 15 now. 

Infinite drinks:

Pretty much self explaining

Messaging:

This is a great thing. We were not able to push each others' out of building anymore, no more "slipping" through walls because of message spamming. 

Explanation: If somebody runs next to a wall he slips throught out of your view. Didn't see that anymore when I played yesterday.

Aiming while with double ALT:

When I am on a spotting position I am not moving my full body to look around, only my "head with the gun". But this is pretty much annoying, yet can't remember if things changed there since it is 1 weeks+ I have played the last time.

When I'm shooting with my bow/gun IRL I am not moving my head around and my gun 1 second behind it - might need some fixing?

Firefighter-axe nerf:

As far as I know this was not intentional, but I like it. It makes it a bit more of a challange killings Zs without getting hit, yet still beeing easy if it is only 1-3 Zs.

Buggy pistol reddots:

Pretty much annoying, I didn't need a battery when using it on my crossbow. 

Not working silencers:

Might be fixed later, hopefully soon.

Goings to add some more stuff over the day, don't have time now anymore :)

Note that this is just MY point of view !

Edited by RoterBallon

anybody else noticed that massive desync on stable servers? it ran smooth like hell on the experimentals.

Are the exp servers running on better machines? i mean, they ran smoothly on 80+ players, stable are just running 40 and have issues.

Maybe there is an issue with old gear? imho they should wipe chars with stable pushes to eleminate risks.

EXP Severs(before the latest push) - instant response to any action

Stable Servers - takes a while to drink, eat, jump over fences

Edited by Sloddor

waiting for months for a major update, i find that changelog rather freakin disappointing.

not to mention, core mechanics like solid netcode, performance, anti-cheat/clipping, character wipes still haven't been sorted out and continue to ruin the game experience.

Stop for a second and think about what you have just said - considering a new guaranteed messaging system was put in place that helped a lot of with the desync. That is a lot of work and nothing one just spits out and slap on the server.

Those are the major things everyone always wanted and now that they're working on sorting those out people jump on here critisizing there's not much being done, without realising nor acknowledging what a tiny point on the changelog does for the bigger picture and how much work it actually is.

Mellee is known to be causing issues, as mentioned in the devblogs. It is currently being worked on, so expect the damage to change soon again. No need to go on a massive rant about how stupid it were to nerf the damage. It's an Alpha - expect these bugs to happen.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 5

Don't comment about the realism of firearms or optics if you don't take a minute to look up what they actually do and how they are positioned.

A red-dot or reflex sight does not sit up in your face next to your cheek weld it sits down the rail. If you think it's too zoomed out then your FOV is possibly set too high.

I haven't touched the FOV.. the alteration is in-game since the last patch. I have never, while aiming any gun in RL or in ARMA or SA etc, been able to see just about the WHOLE stock of the gun while aiming.

Looks to me as if the whole aiming system has been zoomed OUT, so that when you press + you can now zoom in BACK to where you were in the first place.

Dear teapot - have you tried any of this in the game yourself? take a minute to try it in the game, before you comment.Thanx for the input. I'm sure you'll notice the difference.

I am talking about IN GAME changes that happened since yesterday - are you saying that they were unrealistic last week and they have been made realistic this week? It does not look that way to me. In real life you do NOT rest your chin on the butt of the gun when you are aiming (whatever sights you use) - If you DO, then please do not pull the trigger, you will make your dentist a rich man.

I'm not going to rant about this, so before further comment

I would like to hear what Gews has to say about the alteration

He's our resident de-facto arms expert - if he thinks its ok, then I'm cool ... its a game after all. But it looks damned wierd to me, I wouldn't handle a firearm that way in real life, for sure. It seems worse than before the patch - Just WRONG.

(I guess no one will accuse him of "not taking a minute to look up what firearms or optics actually do"?)

Anyway: some pics - this example is Red Dot on M4. I didn't move the character.

1) Shoulder weapon

23r72xh.jpg

2) shoulder weapon - head/shoulder position

runyiq.jpg

3) Aim weapon

2r58fau.jpg

The blur comes in-game with the aimed position (for added realism)

So where is the shooter's head now, in relation to his gun? Somewhere off the end of the stock?

check the 1st and 3d pics to see how crazy this is.  Same aim, at same tree, at same point.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 3

how can i write into the bug report page?

bug: painting the sporter can remove the 30 mag

So, I love how much better the game looks and is performing, but..

I've noticed while sniping, I don't actually see the bullet land or hit, so I don't know if or how I should correct my aim.

I've also noticed some food items being reusable after they should be empty, like soda.  I've gone from thirsty to hydrated and stuffed from just drinking out of the same can over and over again.  Not a bug I mind, but...

You guys might already know this, but we cant craft arrows to shoot, so there's not really much use in crafting a bow right now.

Although flashlights on M4's work, I haven't been able to turn on my pistol flashlight.

Some of the scopes on the crossbow aren't calibrated right, which makes aiming with it very confusing.  Had a red dot on one and was aiming at a zombies chest about 10 feet away and the bolt kept flying over his head.

Can't throw the sickle, it just floats in the air forever.

Edited by srgnt.pepper