Mr Jizz

New SMG Announced... Any guesses?

Im not convinced by the MP5.

I do think if we had a zillionand one weapons, then to include the MP5 would be fine.

It might be worldwide available but "feels" wrong to me for DAYZ.

Rgds

LoK

Weird choice of sound for the MP5, they definitely do not sound like that. 

As for what weapon it will be, I am guessing the MP5 definitely.

However, as to what SMG I would like to see, it would definitely be the Kriss Vector which uses .45 ammunition and Arma 3 already has a model ready for it ;)

Kriss_Vector.jpg

That's pretty kinky.

We already had the "PDW" in the mod / ARMA 2. Why not that?

;)

• Like 1

I think it's going to be the AK-74U. Iconic Eastern Bloc SMG, commonly used in the Chernarus war from ArmA2.

Except that's not an SMG.

I'm guessing MP-5, since 9x19mm is already dropping all over the place.   Bizon and Skorpion are also a possibility, but both would require a new ammo type.

Edited by Windex

Im not convinced by the MP5.

I do think if we had a zillionand one weapons, then to include the MP5 would be fine.

It might be worldwide available but "feels" wrong to me for DAYZ.

Rgds

LoK

Pretty much my feelings. I do like the MP5 in FPS games, but for some reason I think it does not really fit into dayz.

Pretty much my feelings. I do like the MP5 in FPS games, but for some reason I think it does not really fit into dayz.

What would you suggest?

This?

Is it an SMG or a PDW though?

L

What would you suggest?

My knowlege of guns is pretty limited, but I'd prefer an eastern european gun, bonus points if it is an older one. A few have been mentioned already. For example the Skorpion or the pp-2000.

Someone also mentioned a ppsh-41 and while it would be rather silly, It would still be pretty damn awesome :D

Edited by Buffaloe

I think it's going to be the AK-74U. Iconic Eastern Bloc SMG, commonly used in the Chernarus war from ArmA2.aks_ce3_render.jpg

That is not an SMG...it doesn't fire pistol cartridges.

• Like 1

I'm sure others have said it, but I hope it's an MP5. Or a Bizon, that might be cool, and would appeal to the "CHERNARUS IS RUSSIA BRO" crowd.

In the slightly unlikely arena, I wouldn't mind seeing a UMP-45. Or a KRISS Vector (cry me a river).

I hope they eventually include a few SBRs or PDWs.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Shaking my head at all the kriss vector mentions lol.

Has any nation even adopted that ? Though it was just yet again one of those guns made popular by future weapons that never got adopted by anyone.

Also if they do go the bizon route hope its the 9mm nato version.

My guess would be something like a German World war 2 MP-38 or MP-40 or a Russian PPSH-41. That would be my best guess...since they are adding mostly old guns atm, I don't think it will be something as modern as MP5, UMP45 or Kriss Vector.

This?

L

Me thinks the Skorpion is unlikely because it was most commonly manfactured in 32 ACP (vz.61), the variants (that actually saw production) were chambered in 9x18 Makarov (vz.82) and 380 (vz.83). All three would require them to add a new type of ammunition to loot spawns, which I believe Chris Torchia mentioned he didn't want to do.

The MP5, PP-19 Bizon and UMP45 seem to be the most likely candidates with ammo currently in loot spawns.

UMP45 - Tactically superior to the others, more expensive so less common in Eastern Bloc countries

MP5 - Heavily produced, a good workhorse, used EVERYWHERE*

PP-19 - cheap and commonly used in Eastern Bloc countires, but replaced by the Vityaz-SN in Russia

If the MP5 were the one to be added, I'd love it to be the MP5K and have some sort of inventory reduction over most guns.. perhaps 3x2

MP5K-SEF.jpg

This?

L

I wouldn't say PDW is their own classification of weapon, any compact rifle, carbine, SMG, or pistol could be considered a PDW when it comes down to it I think.

• Like 1

Shaking my head at all the kriss vector mentions lol.

Has any nation even adopted that ? Though it was just yet again one of those guns made popular by future weapons that never got adopted by anyone.

Also if they do go the bizon route hope its the 9mm nato version.

Unpopularity/Popularity =/= useful/useless/plausible.

It's a gun. It's a neutral item. Since when does a nation have to adopt a firearm for it to be considered? The Vector is a cool bit of kit either way.

No military has adopted the B95. Or the FNX. Or the double-barrel. Or the Sporter.

Edited by Katana67

Hello there

Whilst I'd love a Kriss, again, for me it doesn't feel DAYZ-esque, personally I'd prefer a really eastern block feel with "western" weapons in a minority on the loot tables.

TBH I'll be happy with anything as the models and textures are all top notch.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Probably the MP5 because 9mm is already in the game and not 9x18 Makarov for the PP-19, and the AK74U and P90 are not SMG's lol.

The ak74u is basically a smg small and light with a fold away stock.

Whilst I'd love a Kriss, again, for me it doesn't feel DAYZ-esque, personally I'd prefer a really eastern block feel with "western" weapons in a minority on the loot tables.

This is what people who disregard the mere mention of certain weapons don't understand.

Very few people, and certainly not me, are suggesting that these weapons become common. Or even become near as common as so-called "Eastern Bloc" or "Warsaw Pact" weapons.

I want these weapons to be RARE. But I want them.

Favoritism in the loot tables shouldn't translate into favoritism of a certain sector of weapons.

• Like 1

Hello there

TBH I'll be happy with anything as the models and textures are all top notch.

Rgds

LoK

That's pretty much how I feel. Doesn't matter if it from America or the fare reaches of China or Japan as long as the weapon looks good and functions right.

This is what people who disregard the mere mention of certain weapons don't understand.

Very few people, and certainly not me, are suggesting that these weapons become common. Or even become near as common as so-called "Eastern Bloc" or "Warsaw Pact" weapons.

Favoritism in the loot tables shouldn't translate into favoritism of a certain sector of weapons.

In that case, Id like this.

Its 9mm at least.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

The Kriss Vector is definitely not a suitable choice for this game...

The semi-automatic version is rare amongst civilians, the fully-automatic version is rare amongst everyone. The gun itself is expensive and is a fairly unproven newcomer, making it less likely to be . Then there is the fact the .45 cartridge is not a popular choice for submachine guns and the cartridge is considerably less popular in Europe than in the US. And in addition pistol-caliber submachine guns are slowly becoming obsolete due to their inability to deal with body armor.

This game is ostensibly "authentic", so choosing guns for this game should be like choosing guns for a movie... even if the location is a fictional country, the film's director and armorer should realize that certain weapons are not "plausible" choices. Certain weapons will be jarring to the audience. They seem out of place. They have to respect their setting - some choices are more plausible than others. If there was a movie taking place in a fictional former Soviet Republic in Eastern Europe and the soldiers were carrying Bushmaster ACRs and the farmers were shown with Kel-Tec KSGs that would not be plausible for the audience.

Here are some fictional "Chernarussian" fighters.

Most people would find the weapons in this picture more plausible...

SJ4nu0U.png

Than the ones in this picture...

l5t6C4A.png

• Like 6

The Kriss Vector is definitely not a suitable choice for this game...

The semi-automatic version is rare amongst civilians, the fully-automatic version is rare amongst everyone. The gun itself is expensive and is a fairly unproven newcomer, making it less likely to be . Then there is the fact the .45 cartridge is not a popular choice for submachine guns and the cartridge is considerably less popular in Europe than in the US. And in addition pistol-caliber submachine guns are slowly becoming obsolete due to their inability to deal with body armor.

This game is ostensibly "authentic", so choosing guns for this game should be like choosing guns for a movie... even if the location is a fictional country, the film's director and armorer should realize that certain weapons are not "plausible" choices. Certain weapons will be jarring to the audience. They seem out of place. They have to respect their setting - some choices are more plausible than others. If there was a movie taking place in a fictional former Soviet Republic in Eastern Europe and the soldiers were carrying Bushmaster ACRs and the farmers were shown with Kel-Tec KSGs that would not be plausible for the audience.

Here are some fictional "Chernarussian" fighters.

Most people would find the weapons in this picture more plausible..

Than the ones in this picture...

And nobody's saying "take out AK's!" They're covered. They're in. They're inbound. We got it.

The graphic you used to demonstrate your point inevitably demonstrates what I brought up with Orlok. Nobody's (that I've seen) suggesting that these weapons should be common. They should be rare. Very rare.

Remove everything but the Tavor in the background, and you'll see what I'm getting at. Rarity.

Moreover, you're blurring the real-world circumstances for the prevalence of these weapons with the fictional reasoning for these weapons (which is flexible, rather than rigid). Simply because something's expensive/rare in the real-world, doesn't mean it cannot be explained in the fiction. That is the crux of the issue.

Never mind that the grouping together of weapons such as the ACR, SCAR, and Vector is not apt. The SCAR platform is actually seeing a marked popularity increase amongst a variety of militaries (the United States, Kenya, Germany [in their LE], Serbia, Greece, Lithuania [iIRC, could be another Baltic State] etc.) The SCAR is actually provided for in the Armaverse as well, as the main service rifle of the United States Army in neighboring Takistan. The ACR is seeing limited use by GROM and the MSBS Radon platform is in competition for Poland's next service rile. The Vector is the anomalous one, the equating of it with the ACR and ESPECIALLY the SCAR platform isn't coherent.

Similarly, one's definition of "plausible" and "jarring" are subjective. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't find a rare Mk 17 jarring to find in Chernarus. I didn't find rare-ass M107's and AS50's jarring. Nor did I find L85's/SA80's jarring. Because they were provided for in the fiction. There's no monolithic audience amongst individuals.

The mere presence of something doesn't mean it's commonplace. Which is the hyperbole that you're using in the graphic.

If there was a non-fiction movie with Russian/Eastern European troops carrying ACRs and SCARs, yes, it would be inaccurate. But, we're not in a non-fiction setting. We're in the Armaverse, a fictional universe which asserts that the SCAR became the standard service rifle of the United States Army! A fiction which asserts that PMCs have ready access to cancelled XM8's! That's not even using ARMA III's fiction either!

What would be plausible, in my mind, is for these weapons to remain (as you say) rare. Not nonexistent.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Unpopularity/Popularity =/= useful/useless/plausible.

It's a gun. It's a neutral item. Since when does a nation have to adopt a firearm for it to be considered? The Vector is a cool bit of kit either way.

No military has adopted the B95. Or the FNX. Or the double-barrel. Or the Sporter.

Those are all readily available to civilians though.

As far as I am aware a Vector is not sold to the public and if it was it would be a longed barrel semi auto version ?

I doubt the vector would be sold in eastern Europe at all.

Reason I am associating a military weapon is because if it were a military designated gun it would be plausible to somehow have ended up in Eastern Europe.

Aren't there a finite number of spawn slots in the game ?

If true as I believe I read in a tweet, this would mean adding in an unlikely and jarring gun such as a scar or a vector would mean wasting a spot for a weapon that would actually fit the setting.

Those are all readily available to civilians though.

As far as I am aware a Vector is not sold to the public and if it was it would be a longed barrel semi auto version ?

I doubt the vector would be sold in eastern Europe at all.

Reason I am associating a military weapon is because if it were a military designated gun it would be plausible to somehow have ended up in Eastern Europe.

Right, but your criterion for mere consideration is what is incoherent. On one hand, you won't hear of a weapon because it's not a military weapon. But on the other, if it's available to civilians, it is wholly plausible.

Never mind that the Vector is indeed in use with LE organizations, rare ones, but it's in use nonetheless.

And again, it being a military weapon doesn't somehow broaden its likelihood of distribution in a fictional setting.

It could be explained by something as inane as "The Chernarussian Police force purchased small numbers of American-made KRISS Vector firearms in the year X, before the infection began. This weapon was mostly in-use with the Chernarussian Special Tactics units, and thus would be hard to come by."

Aren't there a finite number of spawn slots in the game ?

If true as I believe I read in a tweet, this would mean adding in an unlikely and jarring gun such as a scar or a vector would mean wasting a spot for a weapon that would actually fit the setting.

There's a finite number of each item. Meaning they can control how many SCARs are in the game at one time.

It's not like they have to choose a SCAR over allowing an AK. It's rarity, not substitution.

I could take or leave the Vector. But it's the reasoning for your dismissal of a weapon that I take issue with. Moreover, it is not the same (in the real world) as weapons you associate with it (like the SCAR). The SCAR is actually gaining popularity in the real world, AND (more importantly) it's provided for in the Armaverse.

Edited by Katana67