poooz

What has the standalone become ?

Nowadays everyone who has a problem with dayz says 'now i know why dean said dayz is a fundamenzally flawed concept'

Nowadays everyone who has a problem with dayz says 'now i know why dean said dayz is a fundamenzally flawed concept'

Honestly, I dont think Dean meant what everybody thought he meant when he said that. I believe he should have either been more clear in his implication or not said anything at all.

• Like 1

Well the entire arma engine it is based on is flawed i feel, the problems with the game like hacking and clunkiness (I think i made that word up) and glitching is enshrined into the engine, after all it is a game based on a modification of a game so i feel that to get rid of these problems they needed to be dealt with first and foremost. Instead the enging has been created but none of the problems from the old engine were fixed or resolved and so they will, just like the mod, always be a part of the game. Hence the flawed concept. Dean wanted this to be different from the mod but can anyone really say it is a whole new game, i can't.

Disclaimer - I know nothing about making games so i may be completely wrong and they may be able to re do the engine entirely but surely that would be the first thing on the checklist of things to do ?

Fair points, but allot of this should be fixed by release and are some of the design prioritys of the development process, unfortunately you missed the point.

The satement and discussion is about the 'flawed concept', the idea and point to the whole game. Your thinking and talking about mehcanics of the game world and the items and player characters in it.

Im no expert but what i can gather is that Dean's vison for this game is an open world survivor sandbox with the emphasis on players having to work together to overcome the obstacles in their way to survive after the fall of civilisation and organised society.

Allot of people like this idea so Dean stating that this concept will never fully work with dayz is upsetting, but by no means makes this game flawed or broken. But wat is interesting is exactly what the vison is and why it can never fully work with this game.

• Like 1

I've been playing SA since a week or so after it was released and I have not encountered a single hacker. None. Nada. Zip.

I do believe they are out there but I am just saying that I have not personally encountered a single one.

Low pop FTMFW.

High post count is equal to knowledge?

Yeah..

Learn to read. I never said high post count equals knowledge. I was pointing out that A LOT of the people who are posting stupid bullshit threads that have been rehashed 100 times over have like ... 1 post.. or 8 posts.. or 20 posts..  Hence: LURK MORE.

Lol, I have played the game from Day 1 but don't feel the need to post here every day on on every post someone makes, You're making your self look like the **newb** by posting such an irrelevant comment. Engage Brain, then post!!!

If the post didn't apply to you, then don't bother responding to it.. People who have 1 post and come to the forums to declare the sky is falling are usually 1 post noobs who come to the forums JUST TO BITCH.

If this doesn't apply to you, then why does my post bother you?

Over 600 hours on SA and i have not encountered a single hacker yet. The only thing Standalone has become is an Alpha. Don't expect much from an alpha.

• Like 2

The only hacking ive encountered in game was done via axes and now gardening equipment of sorts.

Allot of people like this idea so Dean stating that this concept will never fully work with dayz is upsetting, but by no means makes this game flawed or broken. But wat is interesting is exactly what the vison is and why it can never fully work with this game.

This is what I really want to know. If DayZ can't ever fully work (and the concept is therefore fundamentally flawed), then I'm curious as to exactly what the perfect outcome would be like. Mostly because I have some ideas of my own that I'd love to implement into a game (and I may have recently discovered a new engine that could enable that).

This is what I really want to know. If DayZ can't ever fully work (and the concept is therefore fundamentally flawed), then I'm curious as to exactly what the perfect outcome would be like. Mostly because I have some ideas of my own that I'd love to implement into a game (and I may have recently discovered a new engine that could enable that).

Unreal 4?

Noooooooooooooope. Let me introduce you to

.  :wub:

/Off-topic

Is Snowdrop going to be available for developers or kept in-house?

250+ hours so far... Never seen a hacker. I am not saying there aren't any but when someone makes a comment like 

Hackers on every server without fail

then your whole argument loses merit and looks childish, weak and whiny.

Now to answer your thread title, what has standalone become? Standalone hasn't become anything, it is what is and what hasn't changed apart from content since day one. As already stated DayZ is a tool, it's players make it what is. Be made at the community if you want to be mad and maybe, just maybe DayZ isn't for you.

hmm

they fucked up the SA by not making the proper artistic decisions and copping out:

- 3pp is still in and isn't going away

- everything so far is a re-texture or a direct port of other matieral

- the "new custom engine" is arma 2 engine with code "borrowed" from the arma 3 engine

- fast zombies and cone fire

- adding kitten stuff like super base building, farm-crafting, companion pets and RP wardrobe collections

also "i've never seen a hacker" means "i play low pop/ run with clanners/don't know what hacking looks like/i'm lying"

• Like 2

also "i've never seen a hacker" means "i play low pop/ run with clanners/don't know what hacking looks like/i'm lying"

Lol, well should have a look here princess.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182475-solution-for-server-hopping/?p=1885025

hacks are real

been killed by hacks

had a hacker show off his SA hacks to me in elektro

stole his duped/hacked gun when he dropped it

worked just fine for me

also google some SA hacks videos

also, try playing near the end of a banwave, not the start and on high pop servers mmmkay, you'll meet em in droves

The latest Frankie video sums it up perfectly. I don't want this to be an argument about Frankie, i could not care if it was Arnold Schwarzenegger playing it is the content of the video that is important. It has so much potential with the gun fight in the middle and you can see what a great game it could be but the rest of it also shows you why it can never be that great game.(If you have not seen it i recommend you go and check it out)

Give someone a gun they will shoot you in the face rather then befriend you. Hackers on every server without fail, a massive failure on the developers part, they said they were going to combat hacking yet they have done NOTHING, absolutely nothing extra to combat hackers.

I don't see a good future for this game and it is a real shame because it could have been so great. I know exactly what dean meant when he said it was a flawed concept and i agree with him completely.

Discuss and feel free to bash on me

omg a game in alpha stage of development is not completely finished and polished? what the fuck kind of black magic is this????

FrankieonPC sets up alot of his videos. I think its cool he has a passion for gaming and shares it but its just him, not everyone.

In the video he says he has only been killed once,but there has been data wipes and his char is geared up.

Not only set up.but server hopping to gear up Id say as well.

Whaa Whaa wha .... It's alpha it's alpha.

Well guess what, a crap game is still a crap game regardless of it being in alpha.

And though I like dayz, the hacks are screwing it up royally. I love how so many of you rush to defend the game,and pretend that there are no hackers,just google dayz hacks and you see why the sucks atm.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I've played 120+ hours and maybe once saw something that /might/ have been a hacker but also could have just been lag.

Since November, the game has gotten MUCH more playable. The devs have done a lot to address lag and desync while simultaneously adding on more features that may cause lag and desync. This is how development alpha works. Everything is in motion, so you should expect a basic cycle of +New Features -> Hot Fix to address lag -> +More New Features -> Another hotfix.

Remember when you had to wait nearly a full minute for items you just dropped to appear on the ground? Now it's instant, or with a delay of a few seconds maximum.

Remember when 75% of the time you couldn't even take out or put away a weapon/item without mashing the button 100 times? Nowadays that happens mabye 10% of the time.

Oh here's an easy one: Remember when we didn't have hardcore mode and urban combat was completely retarded? Yeah, we've got hardcore mode now for those who don't want to deal with 3P cam bullshit.

Then there's all the new content that's gone in; new gestures, new animations, new weapons, new food, new clothes, tons of new buildings and additions to the map.

More recently they've reworked the zombies to be more aggressive, pathfind better, and spawn when you use loud weapons. It's not perfect,  but it's certainly a major improvement.

Soon we're to be getting even more weapons, and with the completion of the physics model, ragdoll bodies and throwable/projectile weapons.

Eventually we'll get proper loot spawning, vehicles, and persistent objects.

Really the only major gripe I have with the game so far is that I wish they would make the deviation on the weapons more inline with their real counterparts, and implement more sway based on your stamina and energy.

Everything else has been progressing fairly well.

Edited by fig0451
  • Like 1

The Standalone has become something I love playing. Something amazing.