SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

The Zeds are at their best right now.

There should be more though.

I mean now they pose a threat (still a minor one compared to other players)

Rocket mentioned making the zombie AI/pathing better at Rezzed.  Also, I'm pretty sure the instant zombie re spawn that is implemented at the moment, is only instant for purposes of testing it at a higher rate than what they plan for it to be.  Though I could be wrong there.

Edit:Fixed typo's.

Edited by Vaporizer McGhee

The Zeds are at their best right now.

There should be more though.

I mean now they pose a threat (still a minor one compared to other players)

The problem is they pose a threat for all the wrong reasons.

They are a threat because of how poorly they were added and because of the jank.

What you are saying is similar to saying that hackers are the best now because they pose a threat.

I don't understand the reasoning behind this respawn system. I thought it was a stated objective that players be able to clear out an area of zeds and make it relatively safe for themselves for a time.

Respawning zombies in close proximity, especially ones that remember where you are (totally realism/immersion breaking), is a step in the wrong direction surely?

I know we're testing things... but I don't know why this system needs testing at all.

O<snip>

merging

I don't think they suck, they do have issues but devs are aware of it.

We have all been complaining about glitching through walls, and nothing is done about it, and the reason is, there is no point fixing that glitch now, because by the time they finish the zombies other glitches will surely pop up. At the moment everything is a place holder and nothing is finished. Yes it's frustrating, but at least we get to play the game.

Is that from dev/programming experience you say that? Not meaning to be snarky but from a layman's perspective as I have it would seem sensible to go at it from the opposite way, get a fully working system (ie. no wall glitching) in place then build up from there. I'd go far as to say in the design it should be impossible for ANYTHING to travel through a wall as its a physical structure. Please understand if there is something fundamentally stupid about thinking that I did say from a layman's view! I just play the things, got no idea about making games but it interest me why it would be done that way?

two things i am very sure of, after 200 hours on game.

1. the zombies have no AI whatsoever. zero. nada.

you can tell with 100% accuracy what a zombie (or all) is going to do.

i know for sure they are going thru walls till they get to me. this is all i need to know.

2. whatever we are trying to say, the next 125,415 answers are "it's alpha, placeholders!"

Go figure... Even i know it's alpha. What i am trying to say is: if they are placeholders stop working on them.

Keep the hats and other clothing systems coming while you are silently working on something that cannot be called

"placeholders" and at least remotely be called "AI"

Before the 2 "factions" (quite clear declared here) of this forum starting to accuse me:

I don't play games. I've bought  2400 usd computer ~1 week ago so i can play THIS GAME.

So i think it's quite obvious i want to keep playing it.

While you might argue that since i don't play games i should keep my mouth shot (noob), i agree with you. 

So you, the developers, do something that not even an ignorant idiot can contest about (meaning that obvious), and you the forum members  that are really pissed: keep calm. It's alpha.

p.s. excuse my "english"

Zombies should be annoying as hell, and they should be able to destroy your precious loot. That is simply the only way they will ever be thought of as a real threat by players. Sad but true.

I've felt the first few months of SA Alpha had made people grow complacent as the zombies were no threat, really at all. The current iteration of zombies is one of necessity, I think. No, they aren't at all smart. Yes, they glitch through everything. But they are closer to the threat they are supposed to be.

I've always felt that's supposed to be the game's Yin and Yang, whether or not you choose PvE, grouping with other players against the Hordes and bandits, or playing PvP, risking everything to go it alone. Even after the zombies are sorted there will be complaints about them. But they are the reason for the apocalypse, at least in this universe. People will just have to deal with it...

I play this game because its an open PvP, full looting, (soon to be) sandbox with perma death.  I really couldnt care less about the zombies.  The AI threat could be anything... radioactive rats, robots, mean ally cats, its all just an annoyance to me anyway. 

To be honest I would just prefer they removed zombies all together... they do nothing for me or the style of game play I am after... I would rather the devs spend time and resources adding end game content, crafting, and vehicles rather than messing around with what seems like will always be a semi-broken, glitchy AI threat

Edited by captainvette2112

Zombies should be annoying as hell, and they should be able to destroy your precious loot. That is simply the only way they will ever be thought of as a real threat by players. Sad but true.

Not annoying as in re spawning right in front of you right after being dealt with though, or attacking through a wall after spotting you from a mile away. I understand what you mean and completely agree they should be a threat but not like this, and I also said that yes a zombie hitting you should do some damage to items you have on you such as clothing and fragile items but what damage could a zombie do to a bullet you have in your pocket or bandages. And please don't say "your precious loot" because I am not like that at all, to me my character is what's important and I would ditch anything to stay alive, I just think that some items should not be ruined by a zombie hitting me with it's limbs such as a .45 round in my pocket, at the time I even laughed that the sight on my gun received no damage at all. And I'm not complaining and realise this can all be balanced and that the zombies are no where near finished, I was just agreeing that there are problems with how the zombies work at the moment. 

I play this game because its an open PvP, full looting, (soon to be) sandbox with perma death.  I really couldnt care less about the zombies.  The AI threat could be anything... radioactive rats, robots, mean ally cats, its all just an annoyance to me anyway. 

To be honest I would just prefer they removed zombies all together... they do nothing for me or the style of game play I am after... I would rather the devs spend time and resources adding end game content, crafting, and vehicles rather than messing around with what seems like will always be a semi-broken, glitchy AI threat

Sorry but your comment is very.. uh i don't know how to say that, but basically, if devs read your post, i think they ll stop making the game. And no, zombies will not be semi-broken glitchs. Just look the first videos two pages before...

EDIT : i think you ll need to change your way of playing Days because more the game grow more there will be people who coop against people just looking after PvP...or KoSers

Edited by Ludz

I've felt the first few months of SA Alpha had made people grow complacent as the zombies were no threat, really at all. The current iteration of zombies is one of necessity, I think. No, they aren't at all smart. Yes, they glitch through everything. But they are closer to the threat they are supposed to be.

I've always felt that's supposed to be the game's Yin and Yang, whether or not you choose PvE, grouping with other players against the Hordes and bandits, or playing PvP, risking everything to go it alone. Even after the zombies are sorted there will be complaints about them. But they are the reason for the apocalypse, at least in this universe. People will just have to deal with it...

I am not complacent with the zombies being no threat, I want the zombies to be challenging and relentless especially when weapons are being fired. And again I also understand that this could be to test the server load or whatever and was just giving my opinion on the zombies as they are, I wasn't complaining and saying they were to hard or anything. Just that its quite annoying to get seen through a wall by a zombie I cant kill (most melee weapons are useless at the minute, unless fireaxe) hits me once causing me to bleed, retreat upstairs to bandage to realise the fuckers ruined two loads of bandages in one hit. And stating that I hope it gets balanced eventually. 

Sorry but your comment is very.. uh i don't know how to say that, but basically, if devs read your post, i think they ll stop making the game. And no, zombies will not be semi-broken glitchs. Just look the first videos two pages before...

EDIT : i think you ll need to change your way of playing Days because more the game grow more there will be people who coop against people just looking after PvP...or KoSers

Quote from Dean Hall when talking about PvE and PvP at Eurogamer Expo – The real core experience of DayZ is the tension and that is provided by other players 

Is that from dev/programming experience you say that? Not meaning to be snarky but from a layman's perspective as I have it would seem sensible to go at it from the opposite way, get a fully working system (ie. no wall glitching) in place then build up from there. I'd go far as to say in the design it should be impossible for ANYTHING to travel through a wall as its a physical structure. Please understand if there is something fundamentally stupid about thinking that I did say from a layman's view! I just play the things, got no idea about making games but it interest me why it would be done that way?

No im not a game designer by trade but i have been playing with unity 3d, so i know how games are made basically. Dayz uses different engine, but scripting is similar. I am in no way a scripter at all, i find it impossible to learn, but speaking from experience, i have come across problems with my scripts, where adding an extra feature creates problems elsewhere. For example, my character controller, i had the walking, jumping, running and few others working properly. But when i started adding enemy ai, it wall went to hell. The answer from unity forum, by much more experienced programmers, was never to focus on a single item in the game. Everything must be a place holder, it is easier to spot and fix errors, and when it comes to errors, a wrong letter somewhere in your 10 page script can cause hell. Its simply easier to have everything in place before finishing the game.

My initial feedback to the undead changes were negative, but I've revised my opinion. I've been playing the game a lot and have to say I prefer these changes. I've also bought many copies (for myself and friends) of the game.

The new animations, both for our characters and the undead, have made the game wholly more enjoyable for me. The speed of the undead has also increased my enjoyment of the game and, though the undead respawning system is not perfect, the idea that there are so many undead that using my gun isn't advisable is something I love and something I feel will greatly improve my immersive roleplay experiences!

However, the following would still improve my experience:

1. The undead should never respawn in my line of sight. Period. The game's developer's value immersion as much as I do however and so I am certain this will be corrected. As it stands, this breaks my immersion.

2. The undead should hear my gunshots, melee combats, and voice. They should not hear me when I'm sneaking and should not hear me when I'm walking.

3. The undead should not ever clip through buildings or terrain. I should be able to use the environment to my advantage more than I am able to do currently. As it stands, I cannot shut a door behind myself and pray.

4. At night the presence of the undead is terrifying, however I should have to worry very little about them seeing me. Currently they come sprinting from wherever. This makes nighttime play less satisfying since I am not rewarded for being careful.

5. WOBO posted an excellent video on how to understand the undead animations and predict their attacks, which I imagine is a skill many of us had already developed. THIS SHOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE. I cannot stress enough to the development team that the more predictable the Undead become (due to animations, etc) the less enjoyable they are to encounter. It becomes very "gamey" and less realistic and immersive. To clarify, I enjoy that I can predict things like pathing but I do not enjoy that I can know if a zombie will strike or leap simply by the way he runs. I do not mind being able to predict this based off of his actions right before he jumps or hits, but not while he is in motion. Its simple...randomize whether they leap or attack.

I am confident all of these issues will be addressed.

• Like 2

I think the zombies cannot really be judged at the moment due to the fact they are able to spawn out of thin air infront of you, walk through walls and doors. Somehow can run under the floor and stay on you even when you climb out of reach.

But what i would like to see are -

1, More beastial zombies EG run on all fours. Alternative models for zombies EG have an arm missing, show physical damage upon them.

2, The ability to loot zombies, specifically army zombies. Those are the ones in uniform and have the ability to remove there cloths with the possibility ammo clips or weapons upon them.

3, The ability to throw rotten meat near zombies to get zombies to attack each other over the food and to distract zombies so you can get into areas that zombies are or to throw rotten food onto other players to attract zombies to them.

4, Zombie packs that wander in the wild and within towns.

5, remove the somehow god like ability of zombies to know exactly where a gun is being shot from but also make it so that you could shoot a zombie from a great distance and then zombies near it will investigate and eat that zombie instead of instantly running 5 miles to where the gun was shot from. There should be a radius based upon clean sight for zombies to pick up where the person shooting is actualy stood.

Quote from Dean Hall when talking about PvE and PvP at Eurogamer Expo – The real core experience of DayZ is the tension and that is provided by other players 

And there you got something wrong and totally out of context.

Here's the video, and for your convenience, it starts exactly at the point of the presentation where he mentions what you quoted there. Sadly, I set the starting point where it actually makes sense and not where it's just an out of context yay-he-totally-wants-us-to-PeeVeePee comment.

So, what did he talk about there? He talked about degrading equipment and even about "if you shoot someone with NVGs in the head, the NVGs will be heavily damaged". And this is something he thinks is better than make PvE-only servers or penalizing PvP. I'm totally with Rocket here.

If you shoot someone in the back and he's got a precious weapon on his back and it is hit, the weapon should be badly damaged. Ghillie-Suits after spraying a full 5.56-mag at the guy wearing it? Oh, damn, it's only usable as rags now.

When this system is done and working as intended (and what we already have in the game points into this direction and is far from finished yet!), it will create the mentioned tension by other players. Will he shoot me? Will I shoot him? Are we going to trade with each others or will I or the other guy just wave and leave the place soon after? Add in a better zombie AI where the zeds don't glitch at stairs or through walls and can climb ladders... Then shooting (i.e. ringing the dinner bell) will become a lot less likely. You know, why waste a bullet on someone and 30 to 100 bullets for the horde of Z's for something that might be destroyed by the shot you fired at the guy? If this point is reached (I don't know how Rocket thinks about this, but I'd say, lowering the availability of weapons and ammo ingame would also be a very good addition here), there will be no need to have PvE-only servers or penalizing PvP. Because, PvP each and everyone you see and hunting freshies at the beach won't take you far then.

• Like 1

And there you got something wrong and totally out of context.

Here's the video, and for your convenience, it starts exactly at the point of the presentation where he mentions what you quoted there. Sadly, I set the starting point where it actually makes sense and not where it's just an out of context yay-he-totally-wants-us-to-PeeVeePee comment.

So, what did he talk about there? He talked about degrading equipment and even about "if you shoot someone with NVGs in the head, the NVGs will be heavily damaged". And this is something he thinks is better than make PvE-only servers or penalizing PvP. I'm totally with Rocket here.

If you shoot someone in the back and he's got a precious weapon on his back and it is hit, the weapon should be badly damaged. Ghillie-Suits after spraying a full 5.56-mag at the guy wearing it? Oh, damn, it's only usable as rags now.

When this system is done and working as intended (and what we already have in the game points into this direction and is far from finished yet!), it will create the mentioned tension by other players. Will he shoot me? Will I shoot him? Are we going to trade with each others or will I or the other guy just wave and leave the place soon after? Add in a better zombie AI where the zeds don't glitch at stairs or through walls and can climb ladders... Then shooting (i.e. ringing the dinner bell) will become a lot less likely. You know, why waste a bullet on someone and 30 to 100 bullets for the horde of Z's for something that might be destroyed by the shot you fired at the guy? If this point is reached (I don't know how Rocket thinks about this, but I'd say, lowering the availability of weapons and ammo ingame would also be a very good addition here), there will be no need to have PvE-only servers or penalizing PvP. Because, PvP each and everyone you see and hunting freshies at the beach won't take you far then.

LOLx10000 you are project a whole lot of what is just your hopeful opinion on what are just a few sentences he made.... I simply took his general statement on the core of DayZ at face vaule.

Here is my 2 cents on the zombies

I did not bother to read other peoples opinions cause I'm not going to shuffle through 35 pages so some of this may be a repeat of what other people said

1. Zombies no clip through objects... wtf, this should be a priority instead of making newwww hatsss new jackets ohh a PINK variant of this boonie hat!
  2. Zombie respawns, are you shitting me? A zombie spawning on front of me is NOT fun and not realistic. Better yet, they aggro as soon as they do 75/50 of the time! This makes tactical gameplay, stealthy gameplay, clearing a city gameplay style POINTLESS. I have had multiple times where I'm stalking a person and then 3 zombies see me from 400m away and that gives my position away.
  3. Why the hell do they aggro from 1km!?!?
  4. Remember when quieet weapons where better for zombies and were USEFULL?  Why the hell would anyone use a spotter 22? It takes 5 shots to the head, and a FULL CLIP to the body to kill someone.

Overall, the zombies ARENT EVEN A THREAT, they are SIMPLY ANNOYING AND NOT FUN TO DEAL WITH!!!

I have no enjoyment whatsoever when I kill a zombie or I am getting overrun by one, simply because they are GLITCHY, BUGGY, AND HAVE BULLLLSHIT RESPAWN CONCEPTS

Zombies should be not only difficult, but fun to deal with. Not a nuisance.

Sorry, it isn't like Super Mario Kart or Titanfall.....I mean it is only like labeled for SURVIVAL

Surviving in standalone is easy though. Head up north and that's it. Guns, grub water wells aplenty and helmets. I remember playing on a packed server, headed to NW airfield. Heart pounding, expecting to be dropped. Ended up feeling like I was in a holiday home, if there was an option to hop on a bunk and have a kip I would have taken it as I lazily looted. Try that on the mod, and see how long you SURVIVE.

Edited by Jock McScottish

Lol @ the poster above me who thinks one person has the power to make or break the SA.  

You make the mistake of calling Frankie a person. To his fans, hes a gaming god... a virtual film star. and when Frankie tells them that Dayz standalone is pretty much dead in the water and Dayz RP(which I think is worse than standalone) is where its at, you can be sure that many many people are going to give up standalone and head back to the mod, in their quest to meet Frankie, the poster boy of Dayz.

Edited by Jock McScottish

Surviving in standalone is easy though. Head up north and that's it. Guns, grub water wells aplenty and helmets. I remember playing on a packed server, headed to NW airfield. Heart pounding, expecting to be dropped. Ended up feeling like I was in a holiday home, if there was an option to hop on a bunk and have a kip I would have taken it as I lazily looted. Try that on the mod, and see how long you SURVIVE.

I have been playing the mod since April 2012, I can easily survive up north on full servers.

Sorry, it isn't like Super Mario Kart or Titanfall.....I mean it is only like labeled for SURVIVAL

1. They themselves didn't "modify" the engine, they just added onto it.

2. Quests were made years (1-2 years) before DayZ/Origins mod.

3. Bulletproof Vests are just reskinned from ArmA's base vests.

4. Inventory Expansion, also made before DayZ/Origins mod.

yet the vanilla mod died without even planning on add half of those features.

And they were the first mod of more than 30 to add it, must not be that easy.

yet the vanilla mod died without even planning on add half of those features.

And they were the first mod of more than 30 to add it, must not be that easy.

No, thats because those do not add survival elements AND you need DIRECT permission from the creator. Rocket, doesn't usually like to be lazy and just copy paste 85% of material from other mods and be like "ERMAHGERD LOOK AT MY MOD". 

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

No, thats because those do not add survival elements AND you need DIRECT permission from the creator. Rocket, doesn't usually like to be lazy and just copy paste 85% of material from other mods and be like "ERMAHGERD LOOK AT MY MOD". 

Its not lazy to take inspiration from a mod or game that does something better then you. Its inspiration on what works, blizzard have been doing it for years and its kept wow as the number one mmo for near a decade. And rocket has the ability to not just ask creators of mods to let him use stuff, he can employ them to create it in DayZ sa and he is constantly banging on about ow if he could only find the right people.

And the pure surival game is now a myth, dayz is now how much bleach can i find to force feed to other players.

Edited by Shingara