SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

I'm not going to hate being that guy but for christ sake, it's ALPHA!!! The game is not optimized.

I wasnt having a go at the game, but more at people posting complaints about current zombies. And i simply stated all is needed is more zombies. Sorry if you misunderstood

I wasnt having a go at the game, but more at people posting complaints about current zombies. And i simply stated all is needed is more zombies. Sorry if you misunderstood

Oh ok.  Ya, more zombies is not going to happen for some time until they fix the server issues.  I would love to see more of them roaming around in packs going through the forests randomly as well as the cities should be infested with them

These kids with no brains are starting to annoy me, come back in a year OP, and spare us from your useless whining, read for a change, when did people lose the ability to wait, and think?

So are you telling me this is normal that a game gets worse during alpha while they are working on it?    Can you give me another example of a game that got worse during the first 2 years of alpha?   I'm brainless for questioning 2 years of broken zombies and we are experiencing less immersion?

So are you telling me this is normal that a game gets worse during alpha while they are working on it?    Can you give me another example of a game that got worse during the first 2 years of alpha?   I'm brainless for questioning 2 years of broken zombies and we are experiencing less immersion?

2 years??  The Alpha came out in December 2013.   You do nothing post ranting hate posts all over these forums.

In fairness the zombies are complete shit, I hope they're fixed soon because they're clearly not working right. I am aware that they are essentially placeholder but they have gotten worse and worse, so I don't think it's nice to just brush off negative feedback as the poster being retarded. After all, we are here to provide feedback.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 2

Ummmmmmm, then how in gods name can we hope for vehicles and helicopters?

Now I am fucking worried if this is why zombies are such an after thought at this point.

In the past both big publishers and indie developers alike would have waited way, WAY longer before revealing anything about their game to the public. In the old days most games would have already reached a stable state by the time any information was released on them. If you're used to the old model, I can understand your concern. Realize however, that the game is expected to only reach a stable state by the end of this year, and that's only talking about performance and basic features.

Those may not include things like base building, or vehicles at all. It might be that only zombies, hunting and the required server performance for those two things are finished at the end of this year. My understanding is that Bohemia is looking do things exactly like Mojang did with Minecraft, and Minecraft still isn't finished. They are still releasing patches and features for it. This is going to be the future of DayZ as well, as far as I know.

So be patient. Game development is much slower than most people realize, and it doesn't help people's nerves that they chose to release a game that is basically close to it's prototype stage.

I hate to be the guy but its called Alpha mate, the game isnt optimized therefore they need to cut corners to make sure we can have a decently smooth experience. I mean the Dean and his team could have easily held the game back till it was perfectly ready and then released it. Also right now they are working on having a solid foundation to bulid the game upon, zombies are apart of this but if they focus so much on zombies then they stop making weapons and then everyone bitches about the lack of weapons. Honestly I'm impressed the Dayz team is being extremely humble and sayings its their fault for not communicating well.

It's not even a question of optimization. That is usually done after the rest of the game is already finished, and no new features are going to be added. With Dayz that stage is probably at least 2 years away from now. When Dean was talking about himself possibly leaving Bohemia at the end of this year, he mentioned it would only happen if everything went according to plan, and that he would stay behind to help the team if they still absolutely needed his input.

Personally I think they will get the zombies, hunting and the required server performance for those two done this year. Vehicles might be moved onto next year along with base building/renovation of existing buildings. But that's just my opinion based on the current state of the game.

2 years??  The Alpha came out in December 2013.   You do nothing post ranting hate posts all over these forums.

They should have been developing for two years.    The mod was immensely popular and I would say clearly two years ago, the people behind dayz were starting or should have started fixing issues to cash in on a real game.

It's an early alpha and everything that strains network performance is subject to massive amounts of optimization and complete recoding.

i give you beans just for

Albert Rosenfield

In fairness the zombies are complete shit, I hope they're fixed soon because they're clearly not working right. I am aware that they are essentially placeholder but they have gotten worse and worse, so I don't think it's nice to just brush off negative feedback as the poster being retarded. After all, we are here to provide feedback.

Anyone who hasn't watched these two videos already should watch them. They shine a lot of light on exactly what is good and what is bad with zombies as it stands.

• Like 1

Are they really that bad? I haven't had a single issue of zombies aggroing from 100 meters away, or getting swarmed by them. I honestly have no idea what people are on about when they complain. 

yes the zombies are gonna get better, but they're still too easy atm. 

• Like 1

Are they really that bad? I haven't had a single issue of zombies aggroing from 100 meters away, or getting swarmed by them. I honestly have no idea what people are on about when they complain. 

yes the zombies are gonna get better, but they're still too easy atm. 

Watch the second video, it explains why.

• Like 1

Once they get ragdolls sorted out I'm sure we'll see the zombies hanging around on the ground longer.

they will disappear instantly until the server can handle keeping them longer than 2 seconds

For my twopenneth..  I feel the zombies are too fast but I have no issue with the aggression. I just feel that something 'unread' wouldn't be that fast. Also their ability to see as far as they do is also a tad 'unreal'. 

Funny thing, I was watching a stream with Dean playing about a month ago or so, and when he killed a zombie he said something like:

"wow!, I didn't know zombies disappear that quick, lol!"

I just shook my head a laughed.

Which is all you can do at this game, or else you will just get frustrated which isn't worth it.

Yeah, they can be pretty bad when the prototype respawn system is behaving badly. The other night a friend and I couldn't even log out because every time we killed a zombie that followed us in to the woods it would respawn on top of us before we could.

Funny thing, I was watching a stream with Dean playing about a month ago or so, and when he killed a zombie he said something like:

"wow!, I didn't know zombies disappear that quick, lol!"

There is a very great deal Dean does not know about this game, honestly.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

While we appreciate the change in zombie aggression, no matter how badly implemented, I cant get over how unbelievably instant zombies disappear when killed.  They are not even hitting the ground, they seem to disappear before their bodies drop.     With as shitty as zombie physics and animation is, at least letting their dead bodies lay on the ground for a bit will give us a tiny bit of immersion.   

On a plus side, when I saw a rabbit crossing a field today, I had some good immersion and sense of realism, but that was quickly shattered when I had to drop a few zombies.   Can we just have zombies on experimental until they dont behave like they were made by the guys who made the pc game Big Rigs?

Merged.

• Like 1

Other than zombies clipping through walls and being a horrible dance partner.  They aren't that bad as people make them out to be.  The spawning feature is a placeholder for sake of gameplay(which is difficult and a bad thing to do when the game is only 30% complete).  That stems from most people treating the game as finished, and the devs buckling to keep players around.  Most players here assume the zombies are finished and will be the same come release.

When it comes to the zombies sight range, why should it be any less then the non-afflicted?

Zombies have a sense of smell too.  If wind is coming into play, how about being downwind from a zombie?

I think most people complaining here about hordes spawning and chasing players down were using guns and expect most zombies to be deaf.

Once stamina is introduced, zombies should be able to catch up to a player trying to escape in a straight line.  Most zombies should be slow, but there should be a slighter faster shambling, extra hungry zombie in the crowd to keep players on their toes.

Also, grabby zombies and knocking players down are needed.  They could have problems with climbing stairs, making highground the better option in most cases.

Edited by Gorvi
  • Like 1

Other than zombies clipping through walls and being a horrible dance partner.  They aren't that bad as people make them out to be.  The spawning feature is a placeholder for sake of gameplay(which is difficult and a bad thing to do when the game is only 30% complete).  That stems from most people treating the game as finished, and the devs buckling to keep players around.  Most players here assume the zombies are finished and will be the same come release.

When it comes to the zombies sight range, why should it be any less then the non-afflicted?

Zombies have a sense of smell too.  If wind is coming into play, how about being downwind from a zombie?

I think most people here complaining about hordes spawning and chasing players down were using guns and expect most zombies to be deaf.

Once stamina is introduced, zombies should be able to catch up to a player trying to escape in a straight line.  Most zombies should be slow, but there should be a slighter faster shambling, extra hungry zombie in the crowd to keep players on their toes.

Also, grabby zombies and knocking players down are needed.  They could have problems with climbing stairs, making highground the better option in most cases.

and have more beans  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

2 years and the game is "30% complete", well, seems that the game will need more 5 years to be playable then?

For my 2c... Their speed now seems about right to me. If they didn't glitch through walls I think they'd be about spot on.

Are there any plans to incorporate dead players corpses reanimating as zombies if left undisturbed after death? This would justify zombies walking around carrying loot worth salvaging. Also, it could serve as a final "F**k You" to bandits who end up ravaged by your undead body while they are looting you - unless you were shot in the head or decapitated of course.

Feel free to delete this if its already been mentioned.