Sign in to follow this  
joe_mcentire

different ground textures may act as "containers" for basic materials (aka berry picking mechanic)

the idea:

based on the texture(s) we already have on the ground of our actual location different sounds for our shoes. the idea would now be to have a certain (predefined) chance to gather typical materials or objects from the available textures (ground we stand on) which are as we know e.g. sand, soil, mud, grass, (paved) roads, forest floor, etc.

Each ground with its related texture would act as some form of artificial "container" to loot from (in fact not really a container but more a query to the server of some sort i guess, with a simple rng arithmetic (obj_avail yes/no; if (obj_avail == yes) give rand object from lut). loot may be just simple things like cones, smaller stones, dirt, moss, shells, ... (basically the same as the berries which can be picked from certain textured bushes)

By using the action menu and a "quickly search for..." or "browse around" option you could initiate e.g. a squating animation along with proper arm movements or the like. (again berry picking as reference)

so? what would this mean? if we think a bit further and dream a little bit and imagine that there would be then several new features and mechanics ingame at some point one could think of possible examples such as:

• emergency situation: you quickly grab a stone and throw it to distract the enemy

• enemy enters the doorway and there's no way left - you grab a shard of glass from the floor (broken glass textures on floor provided)

• you collect 10 handfuls of soil to carry it over to your base to grow veggies

• you collect grass, moss and cones to create your selfmade makeshift camo outfit.

• you search for bugs and larvas on trunks; in their bark

you hopefully get the idea.

so what is your opinion and much more what do you think? is this even achievable anyhow on a larger scale than the berry picking mechanic? in a reasonable effort? worth the trouble? what would this mean to additional server-load and FPS?

tl;dr

extend the berry picking mechanic and apply the same idea behind it on ingame textures (grounds, areas, surfaces, objects) so that they would provide basic resources/material at any given time and in any given situation.

edit: edit: examples are examples ONLY to showcase the main idea lying beneath.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 18

i have no idea whatsoever, what that could possibly mean to the server.. however i guess you could make lut for certain objects/textures/surfaces and if you (very much like as with the berry bushes) just press F (or any other key for that matter) or use the action menu - however i think the prior one would be the most practicable - you would end up with a "fetch" (wildly throwing words around) to start a very very basic rng that just says Yes/No and further: get object A or B or C or D... (according to the related LUT).

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

I don't like to be a wet blanket, especially with promising idea.
But if you ask my opinion I cannot pretend every examples you suggest sounds good to me. Please excuse me in advance :(

emergency situation: you quickly grab a stone and throw it to distract the enemy.

Relying on physic middleware (weekly report video), if you throw a stone at best (45°) I would say it may reach a dozen of meters - no further and so not great at all for distraction.
Of course devs could works on an "athletic" throw animation for that purpose, and special shot range with it, and specific hit sounds audible range when (if!) stone hit other objects...but come on, all this for this?
However, collecting stones for fire camp (if required), that is fine.

enemy enters the doorway and there's no way left - you grab a shard of glass from the floor (broken glass textures on floor provided)

Assuming you are a fresh spawn without melee weapon or firearm? (limited occurence so).
Stabbing efficiently someone with a shard of glass is plausible with hollywood-action-movie scene : you would severly ripp palm of your hand while just going throught opponent layers of clothing. What if they code strike to make you bleed aswell? What if you wear gloves? Will gloves degrade?...Yes, but lot of work. Again, all this for this?

you collect 10 handfuls of soil to carry it over to your base to grow veggies

:blink: I was even not aware we could grow veggies. I guess growing will be a quite complicated feature to design, let's wait to learn more about it.

you collect grass, moss and cones to create your selfmade makeshift camo outfit.

rhhh...I'm not a fan of ghillie, just like I'm not a fan of thermal scope or .50 semi automatic sniper rifle. "Too much" for me, I really dislike.
But hey, it's just my opinion.

you search for bugs and larvas on trunks; in their bark

I would not advise to eat any bugs or larvas. Some species produce "toxins" (which turn inedible for human digestive system). And calorie intake with a such reduced biomass probably will not even cover energy you spend to get it.

snip

hej although i may agree with you in a sense where i would like to see "total reality" come true in a game i'd however suggest that some things can or even need to be altered and/or simplified to actually fit into it; to recite Dean Hall: "authenticity before realism!" (for example regarding your objections about the glass shards or the bugs, which is perfectly fine reasoning however ..you know for the sake of being a game.... ) Even more i'd like to point out these statements:

so? what would this mean? if we think a bit further and dream a little bit and imagine that there would be then several new features and mechanics ingame at some point one could think of possible examples such as:

you see what i am driving at?

My imagination was that the idea may have a purpose later down the line, when there will be (hopefully) far more features, more content and simply more possibilities for gameplay (yes even cultivating and harvesting, melee takedowns, makeshift camo....)

The examples are what they are: examples, not more not less. they may be not the best, i admit, however i thought they were good enough to convey the main idea that describes the "least common denominator" of all these examples.

your post however proved me wrong ;)

nevertheless thanks for your opinion and your fair and polemic-free arguments, well appreciated in these times.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

I think I have understood the original idea relying on surfaceType function, but I thought that if I had to praise your suggestion briefly (like few others did before me), it might have seem I would please with the whole text you posted -including current examples-
...which is not the case as you now know. ;)

I'm pretty sure each surface type is attributed to a list of seamless ground textures (and footsteps sounds). I mean no defined square of global ground patchwork have entity, so if based on surface you couldn't have more artificial containers than surface type (4? 5? less?) for the whole map and everybody from almost anywhere could access at the same time.
The obj_avail condition you mentionned couldn't act as a pool but as a random result (just like bushes berries actually I'm not comfortable with that).

so i just got reminded that in the mod you were able to gather fire-wood only when being on a forest-ground. so i guess the basics would be already in place for that feature.hm interesting

...or how about ashwood sticks or normal wooden sticks from trees...

Edited by joe_mcentire

[–]bbbbaconstripsFriendly In Cherno 12 points

Awesome, I assume we'll also be able to get sticks from trees? That would make crafting splints so much easier.

[–]rocket2gunsRocket 20 points

yes, currently recovered from forest floor.

source

Edited by joe_mcentire

Especially when you are in the wood you should get easily some wood (stick and fire) and stones...

I mean, right now, the forest is the worst place to gather resources for make a  fire cause you can't find wood and stones... you have to go get them in a village ?!? (I know fire's not yet implemented but if it was...)

I don't know if the solution is textures/containers but this must be done (However, I think the dev thought about it already)

• Like 1

Especially when you are in the wood you should get easily some wood (stick and fire) and stones...

I mean, right now, the forest is the worst place to gather resources for make a  fire cause you can't find wood and stones... you have to go get them in a village ?!? (I know fire's not yet implemented but if it was...)

I don't know if the solution is textures/containers but this must be done (However, I think the dev thought about it already)

indeed they did. as we can see with sticks from forest floor and berries from bushes. of course ideally we would have thousands of berries and sticks lying/hanging around everywhere. but especially with an MMO this is just an utopian expectation.

There was a trick used in some old game for this, you could forage in an area and when you did the server would place record where you used the foraging function and it would deny anyone to forage in a radius around that point. Each point had a timestamp attached to it that would tell the server when to clean it up.

glad to see that they built and still build on this idea; now add the soil and grass idea for better camo!

Maybe we can have an option to smear our naked selves with mud, a la Predator.

Better not. You should think of how it can be abused. Farm infinite number of items and keep dropping them on ground.. no.. just no.

Better not. You should think of how it can be abused. Farm infinite number of items and keep dropping them on ground.. no.. just no.

you could do something about the "infinite" number; also loot shall and will despawn over time later on.

this is already happening! see: apples, berries, sticks, stones, baits which can be gathered this way, using exactly that method.

Edited by joe_mcentire

I'd like the ability to find feathers as well, or at least have feathers spawn fairly commonly in farming areas. I want an excuse to use a bow, and right now there's absolutely no incentive to do so. I've never seen a chicken in-game, so I doubt I'll have much luck plucking one for feathers.

For those who don't know, you can now apparently create makeshift arrows with a stick and a chicken feather, or something like that.

you could do something about the "infinite" number; also loot shall and will despawn over time later on.

this is already happening! see: apples, berries, sticks, stones, baits which can be gathered this way, using exactly that method.

All those have a chance of not finding anything, and most of them require tools.

i am really sorry to quote myself:

if we think a bit further and dream a little bit and imagine that there would be then several new features and mechanics ingame at some point one could think of possible examples such as:

• emergency situation: you quickly grab a stone and throw it to distract the enemy

• enemy enters the doorway and there's no way left - you grab a shard of glass from the floor (broken glass textures on floor provided)

• you collect 10 handfuls of soil to carry it over to your base to grow veggies

• you collect grass, moss and cones to create your selfmade makeshift camo outfit.

• you search for bugs and larvas on trunks; in their bark

both would come in handy now with the recently added features horticulture and ghillie-suit crafting

Does not digging for woms, collecting stones, twigs and grass work exactly the way you have suggested ?  :)