welcome to the real world. Rain is wet.

I LOVE RAIN SO MUCH IN THIS GAME NOW.

At least when it has an actual effect on you and your gear, when you are forced into cover just light a fire, cook some stuff and make plans for the road ahead.

wow great story not really if you read more of the post you would see it is completely about what the rain is going to be like and the fact it is going to force players inside posibbly and people who unfortunitly cant play 24/7 like myself will be left behind on actual play time due to rain forcing them to pretty much do nothing or risk their gear/charecter 

Same as days in CoD where all 1337 players are on and average joe has no chance and complains on the forums. My tip: either play or don't. Weather is an essential part of the game and rocket himself the players will not only be fighting zombies and other players but also the environment. Or would you swim through a body of water just to get to the other coastline because you are to lazy to take the long route ( which will probably take less time ) and complain that the ocean should be dryer?

I asked a buddy to modify his mod server so players will actually cool down when it's raining and during night times...gives fireplaces and heatpacks a purpose now.

Edited by Enforcer

Same as days in CoD where all 1337 players are on and average joe has no chance and complains on the forums. My tip: either play or don't. Weather is an essential part of the game and rocket himself the players will not only be fighting zombies and other players but also the environment. Or would you swim through a body of water just to get to the other coastline because you are to lazy to take the long route ( which will probably take less time ) and complain that the ocean should be dryer?

I asked a buddy to modify his mod server so players will actually cool down when it's raining and during night times...gives fireplaces and heatpacks a purpose now.

all im saying is there needs to be a better way around it i play possibly 2 hours a week if i spend like 20-30mins boared up in a house doing sweet fuck all that kinda dampens the experience excuse the pun and the post was more meant to be about how to improve rain and having better ways around it like ponchos as stated earlier

On topic:

Is there any negative effects in the current build that come from being 'Damp/Soaking/Wet' or having wet clothing?

LOL hes worried about getting wet? well, better than falling out of buildings due to glitches or loggingindead. winner winner chicken dinner.

On topic:

Is there any negative effects in the current build that come from being 'Damp/Soaking/Wet' or having wet clothing?

dont think so just yet

all im saying is there needs to be a better way around it i play possibly 2 hours a week if i spend like 20-30mins boared up in a house doing sweet fuck all that kinda dampens the experience excuse the pun and the post was more meant to be about how to improve rain and having better ways around it like ponchos as stated earlier

The depth of which you would like the game to go in order for you to not get wet(ie Pochos and other things), will be getting much deeper than that.

btw everyone changed my original statement to fit more what i was trying to say wasnt trying to winge so much about rain being wet lol more about the time it takes to avoid it and ways around it

there is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothing - an old Irish saying.

• Like 2

The depth of which you would like the game to go in order for you to not get wet(ie Pochos and other things), will be getting much deeper than that.

i sure hope so

I know but then you could either take the risk of getting wet and trying to step by step or find a coat or play another time. You are not the only one affected by it, even i would i i would play it. There are only these three possibilities in game. So far weather wasn't an issue, now it is and so will be more to come.

On topic:

No they are just making sure it works, also being that raincoats don't function it would bloody suck if they did people would be dropping like flies.  I'm confident that they will add more items to protect you from the weather.  Being able to loot when others are trapped in door's or sheltered under a tree it a good incentive to carry that kind of gear with you, but then how much of your precious backpack space will you be giving up for it? Although I can carry more then I need with an improvised pack and decent slotted clothing.

Ok, from what I saw on the experimental in the past month is this; if your clothes get soaked, some items in them can become wet. If items get soaked, the condition of the items deteriorates. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Right now though, I would focus more on testing the rain than worrying about it. The depth to protect yourself from it whilst traveling will be added in time. Find out more about how rain effects your person and items in each build, and see if there is anything wrong with it. Make bug reports, suggestions, etc.

I quite like the rain.

Ok, from what I saw on the experimental in the past month is this; if your clothes get soaked, some items in them can become wet. If items get soaked, the condition of the items deteriorates. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Right now though, I would focus more on testing the rain than worrying about it. The depth to protect yourself from it whilst traveling will be added in time. Find out more about how rain effects your person and items in each build, and see if there is anything wrong with it. Make bug reports, suggestions, etc.

I quite like the rain.

Noted for future testing, do you recall exactly which items they where?

Noted for future testing, do you recall exactly which items they where?

Good question.

Backpacks and raincoats seem to keep everything dry. While pants, assault vests, and any other jacket other than a raincoat will not. EDIT: The raincoat will not keep YOU from getting wet. lol.

Everything seems to be effected, but feels random. The same way being shot randomizes damage to items. Makes sense.

Edited by Esolu

Hey everyone more or less just looking for everones thoughts and views on rain. so it seems i was giving everyone the wrong impression at first i am more so looking for different ideas of how to improve the rain/weather and different ways around the weather(such as ponchos). as if you play little hours of the game and you spend half of that boarded up in a house or some kind of cover because you dont want to risk your gear/charecter to the elements it can take away from the rest of the experiences of the game. sorry guys kinda dyslexic and what i was trying to say and what i said were to completely different things

Boring?  I've spent the past week boarded up in the attic of a factory in Electro I Am Legend style.  It's got few entry points, good cover, I've got plenty of food, a commanding view of the surrounding town with my SKS and now I can catch rainwater in my water bottle.

• Like 1

I love this feature, this game is a survival game (or should be) and in a survival situation the weather can be your greatest enemy. I definitely agree there needs to be more ways to protect and keep yourself warm and dry though, and I'm sure they will come. Also it would be cool if you could easily find plastic bags to store more precious items in that are more common than the protective cases. I've played project zomboid where rain also effects you and you end up holding up in a house surrounded by zombies because of it, and I think it works pretty well in that and there's no protection whatsoever other than shelter.

Once they implement proper protective measures (clothes like wellies, jungle boots, raincoats, ponchos, etc.) that function realistically, it shouldn't be that hard.  Also, I think they should mix it up and make different intensities of rain.  A light sprinkle is nothing to worry about.  Rag off your gun so it doesn't rust, and you're good.  A constant downpour should drench you within seconds.  With visibly different rates, it would add a little bit of choice on "do I go now that it is lighter, or wait for it to lessen a little more" versus "nope, it's raining and all rain is the same."

I agree, there should definitely be differing types of rain too, and maybe if go's all cloudy before so you can prepare yourself. 

I love this feature, this game is a survival game (or should be) and in a survival situation the weather can be your greatest enemy. I definitely agree there needs to be more ways to protect and keep yourself warm and dry though, and I'm sure they will come. Also it would be cool if you could easily find plastic bags to store more precious items in that are more common than the protective cases. I've played project zomboid where rain also effects you and you end up holding up in a house surrounded by zombies because of it, and I think it works pretty well in that and there's no protection whatsoever other than shelter.

I agree, there should definitely be differing types of rain too, and maybe if go's all cloudy before so you can prepare yourself. 

Maybe also make the dense forests lessen the rain... And raise the population of animals after a rainstorm...

• Like 1

Maybe also make the dense forests lessen the rain...

This is kind of already in because you don't get wet under a tree.

we need gi ponchos. keep you dry and can double as a tent in a pinch.

It might be worthwhile in the game to go looting in the rain if everyone else is hunkered down.

IMHO, weather effects is one of the things that will make this game great for the people who like what the game is supposed to be.  The only people who will hate it are the KoS kiddies who want to grab a sniper rifle and turn it into Call of Duty.

I means Chernarus looks like the sort of place where survival was a challenge BEFORE the zombie apocalypse.  Dealing with weather, staying dry, hydrated, fed, keeping your equipment in order, not getting sick or injured should be a struggle if there wasn't a single other player or zombie around.  And I don't mean in a "OMG I opened a door and my legs broke!" sort of way.

In a survival situation, everything has to be judged on a risk vs reward basis. EXAMPLE: If i go out in this rain, how much energy will i expend (through movement, metabolic process, homeostasis, etc), and what will I gain? If you aren't going for life-or-death loot, like medicine, it probably isn't worth the expenditure. And, let it be known, no piece of clothing is "waterproof" no matter what the advertisements say! If you go out in the rain, you are going to get wet, if not through direct exposure, then from perspiration due to crap-tastic rain gear.

In almost every situation, going out in inclement weather is not worth it. We invented houses for a reason, after all : P

I means Chernarus looks like the sort of place where survival was a challenge BEFORE the zombie apocalypse.  Dealing with weather, staying dry, hydrated, fed, keeping your equipment in order, not getting sick or injured should be a struggle if there wasn't a single other player or zombie around.  And I don't mean in a "OMG I opened a door and my legs broke!" sort of way.

How so? Chernarus looks to have a temperate oceanic climate, probably the most hospitable to human beings on the planet (with the exception of tropical and chaparral environments), and the one that has seen literally the highest levels of inhabitation and development in the history of human civilization. 

In terms of survival, temperate ecosystems tend to have a large number of plant and animals, that tend to be broadly similar across the ecocline. Of course, you should know the plants and animals of the region before attempting to eat it, but you would be able to recognize a deer or rabbit from Asia as, well, a deer, not one of those fuckweird animals from Australia.

As for survival in Chernarus, it shouldn't be that difficult, relatively. There are plenty of water sources (including perfectly safe well systems), a stable and relatively forgiving weather pattern (including temperature),  plenty of agricultural fields that should be scavange-able, and, in all seriousness, there just plain isn't a lot of wilderness. You will come across a road eventually, which is similar to the situation we have in New England. Pick a direction, you will come across some sign of human habitation surely enough.

You should be able to craft and store items to create makshift Bivvys too. Maybe make them permanent in the hive to create new looting possibilities?

Sort of a one man base...

Edited by mcfly666

Can we get some rainbows?

dayzrainbow.jpg

...discuss your thoughts on this subject as well as how often it rains now.

Edited by lrish
  • Like 7