Ugly (DayZ)

Tell us why we died

You died because you fucked up.

/thread

Seriously, you're dead, give your next character the benefit of being just more cautious in general.

We dont need anything at all, as it will give an unfair advantage to anyone playing with a team, vs solo play.

Hello there

I was actually thinking that I'd like a simple "you were shot" "you were stabbed" etc etc, but in an ambush situation and with external stuff like TS always being used by folk Byrgesen has it right.

Hmmm.

what to do...?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

For health status, we have this now, because it is essential to convey in text.

"you are dying of dehydration"

There are almost always some good indicators of what killed you in this game, either way.

*thwip*

*bullet meat sound*

you are dead

Well... you were probably sniped.

If I put a longsword through the back of your skull, how much indication would you have of what transpired?

I do not want a message specific to how I died.

Nope, nope, nope.

While the game is in alpha and has plenty bugs, I wouldn't mind being able to have some debug info like this. Perhaps toggleable via a specific launch parameter.

No one told this thread how it died over a year ago.  Yet, here it is, respawned and doing fine.

• Like 1

i would be okay knowing why i died on experimental.

Never on stable.

There are almost always some good indicators of what killed you in this game, either way.

*thwip*

*bullet meat sound*

you are dead

Well... you were probably sniped.

uh uh, one more !

You are in 2nd floor of firestation

you are dead

:D

Edited by halp

The only thing the dead know is the end of war.

Edited by QUAZIMOFO

The only thing the dead know is the end of war.

"The dead know only one thing; that it is better to be alive."

• Like 1

This is a good idea, it doesn't need to say, "You are dead, killed by Someone with This gun, using This Accessory, from This distance, from this Direction".

I believe his suggestion is just tell why we got killed, simple and easy, like "You are dead, by a bullet"; "You are dead, by hemorrhage"; "You are dead, ripped apart" (zeds)

And for the people that is using the excuse of "Oh, this is not realistic". If it should be realistic, you should get a totally Black Screen with nothing, not even a "You are Dead", and shouldn't respawn any more. But, if you want to keep the game fun to play, it needs some "arcade" things, if you want to say that way, It doesn't need to go full Arcade, like L4D or BF3 and so on. All he is asking is info, and it doesn't screw any realistic thing of DayZ. 

Also, it is a nice way to tell if you died from a glitch or not. 

This is a good idea, it doesn't need to say, "You are dead, killed by Someone with This gun, using This Accessory, from This distance, from this Direction".

I believe his suggestion is just tell why we got killed, simple and easy, like "You are dead, by a bullet"; "You are dead, by hemorrhage"; "You are dead, ripped apart" (zeds)

And for the people that is using the excuse of "Oh, this is not realistic". If it should be realistic, you should get a totally Black Screen with nothing, not even a "You are Dead", and shouldn't respawn any more. But, if you want to keep the game fun to play, it needs some "arcade" things, if you want to say that way, It doesn't need to go full Arcade, like L4D or BF3 and so on. All he is asking is info, and it doesn't screw any realistic thing of DayZ. 

Also, it is a nice way to tell if you died from a glitch or not. 

I agree that this has nothing to do with realism, absolutely nothing :)

This is about "meta gaming" and the flow of information.

I am still 110% against anything like this, because it will take clans/groups less then 5 secs to find a way to abuse the system, to theyre own winning.

If 5 guys are running down the beach, one dies and he is able to tell the others on TS how he died, complete advantage is gained, over the attacker.

No matter how you do this, it will do nothing but hurt the "hermit playstyle" and give advantages to team play.

Nobody should have any advantage over others, except numbers and player skills ofc.

But not intel and certaintly not life saving intel like this.

• Like 1

I would definately like this. just to know, did i get sniped when i died suddenly in the woods? Did i get fireaxed to the base of the neck? Did i step on a landmine (Really loving landmines and beartraps right now, i just pop in to random servers and set them up inside of police stations and piano houses.)? Did the game bug up?

I agree that this has nothing to do with realism, absolutely nothing :)

This is about "meta gaming" and the flow of information.

I am still 110% against anything like this, because it will take clans/groups less then 5 secs to find a way to abuse the system, to theyre own winning.

If 5 guys are running down the beach, one dies and he is able to tell the others on TS how he died, complete advantage is gained, over the attacker.

No matter how you do this, it will do nothing but hurt the "hermit playstyle" and give advantages to team play.

Nobody should have any advantage over others, except numbers and player skills ofc.

But not intel and certaintly not life saving intel like this.

Well, in that situation, the other 4 members that were running together would still hear the sound of the shot, even if it was far away, you can still hear it, you still hear the blow. So it doesn't affect the gameplay at all. 

Edited by minxings

Well, in that situation, the other 4 members that were running together would still hear the sound of the shot, even if it was far away, you can still hear it, you still hear the blow. So it doesn't affect the gameplay at all. 

Wrong, because chances are they wont hear the shot, running and talking on TS. Sure they can figure it out, but it will take longer then the 0.5 secs it takes to read you where shot.

But a text explaining what happened leaves no doubt. 

My point is, doubt will create more exciting gameplay then no doubt at all.

Wrong, because chances are they wont hear the shot, running and talking on TS. Sure they can figure it out, but it will take longer then the 0.5 secs it takes to read you where shot.

But a text explaining what happened leaves no doubt. 

My point is, doubt will create more exciting gameplay then no doubt at all.

Wrong. If they are deaf, yes they wont hear the shot. Many times with my friends we heard shots coming from miles away. It's not that hard to figure out that your friend got shot, he will start bleeding like a *** and then drop dead on the ground, I pretty much doubt that someone will just be staring down at the dead body and start to think what happened, cmon. When a shot hits something, it does a sound a really loud sound. You know that.

Edited by minxings

When I die, I'm not going to know why I died, I'm not going to know anything, I'll be dead

Mod was out there awhile ago, posted about seeing yourself die. Very good concept, added so much to the game in death mode. Don't have the link or I would link it for you.

It changed the UI, showed you messages, and great sound effects. Perfect for a modded server.

I don't like the "Your dead" message either.

One of the biggest problems, with the whole death message thing, was 99% of the server messages reviewed by the admin showed 0 messages announced.

1-2 of killed by messages showed up. So it was rather broken. Maybe its fixed now, but I doubt it.

Wrong. If they are deaf, yes they wont hear the shot. Many times with my friends we heard shots coming from miles away. It's not that hard to figure out that your friend got shot, he will start bleeding like a *** and then drop dead on the ground, I pretty much doubt that someone will just be staring down at the dead body and start to think what happened, cmon. When a shot hits something, it does a sound a really loud sound. You know that.

So substitute a gun shot with an axe to the back of the head. Buddies won't hear it, but they'll still know what happened. Advantage gained.

• Like 1