OrLoK

Arma3 Third person fix mod...thoughts?

Not to be a douche or anything but even while the engines of A3 and DayZ SA are different branches of RV, this can definitely be ported over to DayZ SA which is why Orlok posted it.

Yup hopefully they port over tons of stuff from Arma 3.

especially that.

• Like 1

Yup hopefully they port over tons of stuff from Arma 3.

especially that.

Breaking point one Arma 3 makes this look like it's being made by 3 people who don't know what they're doing pretty much simply because of the engine.

Edited by Weedz

You didn't read Plato, did you.

If money is all they care about, you win.

I win.

• Like 1

DayZ is already known the world over it doesn't really need to advertise itself. They already have more players (or about tied) than the crazy popular mod every did and I'm sure they weren't expecting every single person and then some to come from the mod. It's also still selling ~10,000 copies a day still on average this has nothing to do with advertising (that they are doing themselves). Having ~2,000,000 copies sold for an Indie game in early early early alpha development isn't good, it isn't amazing, it is mind shatteringly unfathomable. And has pretty much only been done by Minecraft before (which didn't have even a fraction of the people this game does when I started playing it in InDev ~at the point where the SA is now maybe a little earlier).

and oddly it does this just fine just the way it is - amazing no? but still, having more choices in a game instead of less choices in a game is always better - at least from where I'm sittin. that's why I will never advocate for the complete removal of 1pp from the game, even tho the minority of players are strict adherents to this controversial play style (just overlook the levity). on a serious note its rash popularity is a testament to what has been missing in the gaming industry for ages - the no rules sandbox with a good idea for interactive environment with eyebleed pretty scenery... or it could just be the zombies.

I win.

Sorry, I lied.

If all they care about is money, we all lose.

• Like 1

Sorry, I lied.

dude why do you think SA exists at all? if BIS couldn't turn a hefty profit on it I would still be considering if I wanted to buy a whole game I don't care about just to play a mod I can download for free and those are hard economic decisions to consider. welcome to the nature of the Business.

as a side note: I am still torn over arma3 for the sake of breaking point (omg zombies!) but there is that whole other game I will never play.... of course there is altis life too (I mean cops?? really???)

on topic: as I've said before I am not opposed to 4th wall as long as it works properly it doesn't interfere with my navigation or the awesome scenery that can only be had from 3pp but I do have concerns about its integration into the game engine overall. solve all its problems and I'm all in - I don't play it as an fps anyway.

Sorry, I lied.

LMFAO nice comeback!

• Like 1

dude why do you think SA exists at all? if BIS couldn't turn a hefty profit on it I would still be considering if I wanted to buy a whole game I don't care about just to play a mod I can download for free and those are hard economic decisions to consider. welcome to the nature of the Business.

as a side note: I am still torn over arma3 for the sake of breaking point (omg zombies!) but there is that whole other game I will never play.... of course there is altis life too (I mean cops?? really???)

on topic: as I've said before I am not opposed to 4th wall as long as it works properly it doesn't interfere with my navigation or the awesome scenery that can only be had from 3pp but I do have concerns about its integration into the game engine overall. solve all its problems and I'm all in - I don't play it as an fps anyway.

It exists because someone had a good idea that filled a niche at the right time. The idea proved economically viable when it was still an arma 2 mod. If the effect of the hype is that the devs lose sight of the niche, they can coast on the hype itself for profit but they will have lost the games raison d'etre. It will no longer be DayZ but just another shooter.

It exists because someone had a good idea that filled a niche at the right time. The idea proved economically viable when it was still an arma 2 mod. If the effect of the hype is that the devs lose sight of the niche, they can coast on the hype itself for profit but they will have lost the games raison d'etre. It will no longer be DayZ but just another shooter.

I agree with the overall sentiment, but have you considered that what you believe defines DayZ may not be what others believe defines DayZ? The thing that, in your eyes, would turn DayZ into another shooter, may not be the thing that someone else here or even the community at large believes will turn it into another shooter.

I agree with the overall sentiment, but have you considered that what you believe defines DayZ may not be what others believe defines DayZ? The thing that, in your eyes, would turn DayZ into another shooter, may not be the thing that someone else here or even the community at large believes will turn it into another shooter.

If realism is not part of their definition, I will have none of it.

I don't agree with the idea whatsoever. It completely defeats the purpose of playing in the third-person perspective. Applying a first-person FoV to 3PP totally defeats the intended purpose of playing in the third-person. With that being said, if this is as big an issue as everyone is making it out to be, then rather than going through the troubles of adding a feature like this into DayZ, you'd be better off just removing 3PP in its entirety. I mean, really, 3PP gameplay is not even broken, so I'm not even sure why there is even any discussion when it comes to "fixing" it... An advantage that everyone has access to is not an advantage, nor is it an "exploit." I can't think of a single third-person shooter in existence that utilizes a feature even remotely similar to this. And it's not due to the fact that it's never been thought of before, it's due to the fact that it's a bad idea and completely defeats the purpose of 3PP. If you don't like third-person, there are always hardcore/veteran servers available. Nobody is forcing you to play in 3PP servers. You can't fix something that's not broken in the first place.

• Like 1

well I don't play it as a shooter now and never have so that's kinda out. and if you will read up-thread a bit where I discuss the economics of dayz with Weedz you might get a better idea of how and why dayz makes money. also if it only fills a niche its doomed from the onset - niche markets are inherently small and generally considered "flash in the pan" profit models, somehow I don't think dayz fits the niche model based on its already huge success and I can't imagine a large software firm like BIS supporting a niche model - they are in it for the money long-term. it is a sandbox simulation and that is hardly unique, this one just has zombies. oh and its pretty.

If realism is not part of their definition, I will have none of it.

zombies aren't real so... see ya

Honestly, why? The problem with third (also first) person is that you can glitch to see THROUGH walls (over or around isnt as much of an issue, see below)

I only really play on hardcore servers, because this mod is only trying to emulate first person perspective. If you want third person perspective, you innately have more field of view at all times anyways. It creates an uncomfortable compromise that doesn't really add any benefit. How are you going to make them not 'pop' in if you for example check a corner and a guy IS RIGHT THERE. You have less than half a second to pull the trigger, 'fade in' isnt really an option. Playing in third person has innate bonuses that can not be overcome. If you want realism in the game, play in first person. If you want to play an adventure game play in third. I do not understand why there is a need to 'fix' third person. Its not broken, and I dont see this adding value to third person short of 'trying to make it more like first person.

There are also a number of different ways to fix this that dont involve 'disappearing guys'. Lock the camera to your characters point of view, and lower its center to shoulder/chest level instead of hovering above the character. Give the camera a large hitbox with collision detection to prevent people from looking around or over an obstacle to far.

I have not seen a compelling reason why something like hiding what you cant see would 'fix' some problem. If you dont like people looking in god mode, there is first person.

I thought I pretty clearly showed that zombies are in fact real ..... hoodoo witch doctors ...  tetrodotoxin etc ... effectively being "dead" and then rising crazy on drugs thinking you were dead and are now back ...... where the word comes from.

Also game isn't zombies it's still living infected people based on one of the creator's family members being a medical doctor and creating the most plausible ACTUAL REAL thing that could cause these infected which there are examples of that already exist in nature and could mutate to effect humans too  ..... I feel like I'm repeating myself.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

Honestly, why? The problem with third (also first) person is that you can glitch to see THROUGH walls (over or around isnt as much of an issue, see below)

I only really play on hardcore servers, because this mod is only trying to emulate first person perspective. If you want third person perspective, you innately have more field of view at all times anyways. It creates an uncomfortable compromise that doesn't really add any benefit. How are you going to make them not 'pop' in if you for example check a corner and a guy IS RIGHT THERE. You have less than half a second to pull the trigger, 'fade in' isnt really an option. Playing in third person has innate bonuses that can not be overcome. If you want realism in the game, play in first person. If you want to play an adventure game play in third. I do not understand why there is a need to 'fix' third person. Its not broken, and I dont see this adding value to third person short of 'trying to make it more like first person.

There are also a number of different ways to fix this that dont involve 'disappearing guys'. Lock the camera to your characters point of view, and lower its center to shoulder/chest level instead of hovering above the character. Give the camera a large hitbox with collision detection to prevent people from looking around or over an obstacle to far.

I have not seen a compelling reason why something like hiding what you cant see would 'fix' some problem. If you dont like people looking in god mode, there is first person.

Add a parameter where fade is determined by distance.

Anything closer than 100m does not fade, but things past that distance fade in longer the distance longer it takes to fade in.

Seems like an easy solution.

well I don't play it as a shooter now and never have so that's kinda out. and if you will read up-thread a bit where I discuss the economics of dayz with Weedz you might get a better idea of how and why dayz makes money. also if it only fills a niche its doomed from the onset - niche markets are inherently small and generally considered "flash in the pan" profit models, somehow I don't think dayz fits the niche model based on its already huge success and I can't imagine a large software firm like BIS supporting a niche model - they are in it for the money long-term. it is a sandbox simulation and that is hardly unique, this one just has zombies. oh and its pretty.

DayZ isn't a niche game atm. It's a loot & shoot (with "zombies").

Is the current game what made it popular? Or is it the promise of something unique.

According to Dean, zombies are infected people that are not dead (yet). Granted, I wouldn't mind suspending disbelief on that issue.

I thought I pretty clearly showed that zombies are in fact real ..... hoodoo witch doctors ...  tetrodotoxin etc ... effectively being "dead" and then rising crazy on drugs thinking you were dead and are now back ...... where the word comes from.

Also game isn't zombies it's still living infected people based on one of the creator's family members being a medical doctor and creating the most plausible ACTUAL REAL thing that could cause these infected which there are examples of that already exist in nature and could mutate to effect humans too  ..... I feel like I'm repeating myself.

shhhhhh! I've actually met one but that's already posted in another thread ;)

Add a parameter where fade is determined by distance.

Anything closer than 100m does not fade, but things past that distance fade in longer the distance longer it takes to fade in.

Seems like an easy solution.

Why is it necessary to even do this. As per the main point of my entire post.

If you want third person perspective, you innately have more field of view at all times anyways. 

Completely wrong your camera is moved back 15ish feet that is all ...  the angle you can see on your screen does not change. Walk 15 feet backwards and go back to 1pp you will have the same exact screen minus your character in the middle of it. Nothing you post in this thread matters when you don't even understand basic principles like this.

• Like 1

According to Dean, zombies are infected people that are not dead (yet). Granted, I wouldn't mind suspending disbelief on that issue.

on this we agree completely and honestly I wouldn't wish you gone from the game for second - it's the 1pp point of view that helps drive the mechanics of the "shooter" side of the game which in turn adds to the thrill of my personal survival in dayz... ya just never know who's gunnin for ya, keeps me on my toes.

Completely wrong your camera is moved back 15ish feet that is all ...  the angle you can see on your screen does not change. Walk 15 feet backwards and go back to 1pp you will have the same exact screen minus your character in the middle of it. Nothing you post in this thread matters when you don't even understand basic principles like this.

Really?

I mean...

Im flabbergasted that you would post something so poorly thought out. By moving the camera back 15 feet you have a better view of the area surrounding your character. Yes the 'field of view' in an angular since of the camera lens may remain unchanged. But the field of view of the battlefield has been significantly altered and expanded, because your are 15 feet further back. More is within your field of view.

I mean, did you really just post that?

Why is it necessary to even do this. As per the main point of my entire post.

To fix an inherent problem that is looking over cover, and around cover without any risk to the player.

Once they fix this bug or fix this gameplay exploit they move on to the next issue and attempt to fix that next.

Such as seeing thru walls like you mentioned earlier.

on this we agree completely and honestly I wouldn't wish you gone from the game for second - it's the 1pp point of view that helps drive the mechanics of the "shooter" side of the game which in turn adds to the thrill of my personal survival in dayz... ya just never know who's gunnin for ya, keeps me on my toes.

What does the 3pp pov help drive?

• Like 1

To fix an inherent problem that is looking over cover, and around cover without any risk to the player.

Why is this a problem? 

Now if you say 'because its not realistic' Or 'Because it provides an advantage.' Third person already does both of those things. Why would you not just play 1pp only?

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 1

What does the 3pp pov help drive?

the role playing aspect of zombie survival, you know, the part that doesn't have a lot to do with interaction with other players (2/3rds of the game by the way) - 3pp is an invaluable tool for looting those hard to reach top shelves and such, its also fantastic for overland navigation. I wouldn't recommend expecting a fair fight with another player on a 3pp server but since the game is not all PvP 3pp does have its uses. I should also note that I treat other players the same way I treat the zombies, just another dangerous obstacle I must overcome or circumvent in order to get the items I require to keep my little apocalypse Barbie alive. as a shooter, I am sure you have no use for the 3pp pov. as a survivor I have use for both. hrm maybe I am getting more from the game than you are. maybe you should reconsider your overall play style.