OrLoK

Arma3 Third person fix mod...thoughts?

My argument for not completely getting rid of 3pp is that in the very same thing you're whining about, you yourself have equal capacity to do the very same thing. If you're not, then that's your problem. 

This is exactly the problem with you people. You aren't corner camping to get on a level field with everyone you are corner camping because you want an unfair game breaking advantage over people who don't feel like sitting at a corner for hours straight until they see someone and the perfectly perfect idea of not being able to see in 3rd person what you wouldn't in 1st by some sort of FoW is absurd to you.

And yeah you can see through walls sometimes in 1st person if you move your camera around right. Not around the wall but through it. Same in Arma 3.

Edited by Weedz

This is exactly the problem with you people. You aren't corner camping to get on a level field with everyone you are corner camping because you want an unfair game breaking advantage over people who don't feel like sitting at a corner for hours straight until they see someone.

Well, me personally, I don't corner camp. I just run through like anyone who wouldn't be corner camping. Sure, I've done it before, but not generally. I've done it when being chased by someone, and I've also been killed by someone doing the same thing. Knowing how that works, If I were the wiser I would have stopped approaching because I knew that would happen.

When I do play on 3pp servers, I know the places people camp, so I choose not to go to those places and still have a great experience. If I do have to go to those places, i'm just careful about it and keep my eyes on the corners/ledges of places that are known for camping. 

The mod has the same setup and I don't personally remember anyone putting up such a large whine-fest over it then. The fact that there is another option out there should have stopped any of this from continuing altogether.

I guess after seeing a million of these threads, I can't help but feel:

beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3f

Edited by Gekkonidae
  • Like 2

Meh.... Don't care.

I play on 1PP + Hardcore server exclusively. Doesn't worry me at all what happens to 3PP.

I'm all for a "4th wall mechanic" as well as a much more restricted FOV slider for both 3rd and 1st person.  Preventing players from sticking their head/camera into walls also needs to be addressed.  IMO, these three issues are easily some of the most important problems that need fixing.

Wall glitch, yes, definately needs a fix asap. FoV. Again, meh. Fov doesn't do much that I can't already get with a triple-/5-head display. Currently I play with 4320x900 in Triple-head. Gives me a wider FoV without having to touch default FoV settings.

Everything should be left as it currently is, at least for as long as hardcore is around + you can always view your char by pressing tab, let people like frankie who peek above fences in 3rd person have their playground.

Meh.... Don't care.

I play on 1PP + Hardcore server exclusively. Doesn't worry me at all what happens to 3PP.

Wall glitch, yes, definately needs a fix asap. FoV. Again, meh. Fov doesn't do much that I can't already get with a triple-/5-head display. Currently I play with 4320x900 in Triple-head. Gives me a wider FoV without having to touch default FoV settings.

Wall glitchy is the games worst aspect right now.

The fourth wall mod needs to be implemented, folks at Bohemia should hire the guy imo and then incorporate this throughout all of Bohemia Interactive games.

The mod could be instrumental into fixing third person view while at the same not alienating any group.

The fourth wall mod needs to be implemented, folks at Bohemia should hire the guy imo and then incorporate this throughout all of Bohemia Interactive games.

The mod could be instrumental into fixing third person view while at the same not alienating any group.

If they got that guy and the people who did the zombies in Arma 3 BP / hopefully the team they got for AI is good then this game will be GG WP see you later every other game ever made.

Edited by Weedz

I was viewing This Thread when I cam across people saying third person sucks, third person is ok and third person is perfect, don't touch it. My question to you is would you want to see any balancing done to third person and if so to what degree?

I think that this games having third person is a cool way of seeing your character, but currently it is abused by people looking through walls. In oder to fix this I think that when you are in third person your FOV should be down to the absolute minimum or have a little way like in Borderlands 2 in which when you open your gear you go to third person to see your character.

EDIT: Here is a video of another solution in wich the player while in third person can not see enemys in third person if they are not in a direct line of sight with the player.

Skip to 3:36

merging...

Lets leave regular servers as they are if people want this if it ever even gets considered then it can be for private hives and server hosts to decide.

Lets leave regular servers as they are if people want this if it ever even gets considered then it can be for private hives and server hosts to decide.

Fourth wall would leave it as is.

All it does is not render players if your character has line of sight its pretty much the perfect solution to this problem.

- No longer can you cheat by proning behind cover or peeking around corners

- People with motion sickness can play in tpv and not suffer

-  Everyone is happy nobody is alienated and the game is better.

• Like 4

if they spend any time on this before the rest of the game is done and bug free (as a bohemia title ever can be) then sure 

Id rather they focus on big content and Ill just sit on 1st person.

Tbh thinking about it Id still just play 1st person, I still cant see how this option would not be giving advantages. Have you ever played this game on lowest settings? Imagine a player crouched but partially hidden in a bush on the other side of a wall you are looking over. You walk around the wall and bam! he pops in. You would see him appear and even if he was perfectly still he would be revealed

Why not instead spend sometime on animations, camera adjusting, clipping where players get caught on doors ect. That would fix all the oft bemoaned issues with 1st person AND make the game a better more polished experience for everyone.

How about we have two game modes.  One can be open to any playstyle a person might want.  The other could restrict playstyle in order to placate the vocal minority who dislike other styles.  We could name this reduced feature, minority server set something that might make players who frequent them feel superior to the rest of the community with an inflated sense of self worth.

Could someone make a mod for that?

they only 'appear' like that if you returning from 'out of body experience' mode ;)

is choice of player if he want to leave reality behind to look on character ass  :huh:

They also appear, as shown in the video, if he leans the character and that makes another a player enter line of sight. I am a bit worried that the difference in landscape between a player being there and then appearing would actually function as a radar bleep, making a character that would think himself nicely camoflaged or too far away to be noticed by others, stand out after all, even if they implement the fading transition.

A player leaning back and forth a couple of times really fast would make a player, say an enemy sniper, actually appear to be blinking, and thus very noticeable indeed.

• Like 1

They also appear, as shown in the video, if he leans the character and that makes another a player enter line of sight. I am a bit worried that the difference in landscape between a player being there and then appearing would actually function as a radar bleep, making a character that would think himself nicely camoflaged or too far away to be noticed by others, stand out after all, even if they implement the fading transition.

A player leaning back and forth a couple of times really fast would make a player, say an enemy sniper, actually appear to be blinking, and thus very noticeable indeed.

And your giant flashing head would be noticeable to the sniper hence the entire point of this mod. It removes the hiding in 100% cover with no chance of being seen or shot and still spotting enemies.

Edited by Weedz

Very cool! If they could implement some sort of "fading" effect so that it's not as jarring as the person just zorping out of existence, would be awesome.

Unsure of whether it should apply to zombies as well as players.

And your giant flashing head would be noticeable to the sniper hence the entire point of this mod. It removes the hiding in 100% cover with no chance of being seen or shot and still spotting enemies.

Not necessarily. And it would still make it much easier to spot enemies than it does in first person.As mentioned earlier in this thread, just turning a corner around a fence would very likely be enough to make perfectly concealed players visible because they would appear out of thin air. Not the same as realism, not even close.

I really don't like the horrible way in which the people pop in once they are in your line of sight. But its a good concept.

I really think they need to consider something like this to level the playing field on 3PP servers.

I don't think this is a viable solution for the reasons I mentioned above. Fix the camera position (and make it fixed, not moveable) so you will not be able to look over fences or around corners while in third person instead. 

• Like 1

Not necessarily. And it would still make it much easier to spot enemies than it does in first person.As mentioned earlier in this thread, just turning a corner around a fence would very likely be enough to make perfectly concealed players visible because they would appear out of thin air. Not the same as realism, not even close.

And again ... the entire point of this mod is that it makes the spotting enemies work both ways. What do you not understand about that? This mod should be named "you can't see people unless they can see you"

You're the only one who's said anything about realism; this mod is to add fairness to 3rd person PvP not realism

Edited by Weedz

Fix the camera position (and make it fixed, not moveable) so you will not be able to look over fences or around corners while in third person instead. 

I think this would be a good stop-gap measure until they come up with a more wholesome solution. Plus, I've always thought that the actual POSITION of the camera was way too high.

Fourth wall would leave it as is.

All it does is not render players if your character has line of sight its pretty much the perfect solution to this problem.

- No longer can you cheat by proning behind cover or peeking around corners

- People with motion sickness can play in tpv and not suffer

-  Everyone is happy nobody is alienated and the game is better.

Fourth wall as shown in the video is easily exploitable and broken. Rendering is distance limited and what is broken is that people just pop fully in or out of sight. Parts of the people do not show when they would. Meaning that in third person with 4th wall you actually may be at a disadvantage. You are not seeing limbs or sections of the players render they simply plop in fully which is exploitable to anyone who would peak to see plays flash. Id use it as a sort of spotter if it were implemented as shown. Needless to say it wont be added as the community already likes the current state of regular. Again it can be an option for private hives and server hosts but if this is put on official servers expect the game to basically take a huge community hit. That kind of change even if it makes sense to people who have issue with typical third person gaming would harm the community. A thing Id rather them work on is how weapons handle and how zeds interact with the environment. 

• Like 1

Fourth wall as shown in the video is easily exploitable and broken. Rendering is distance limited and what is broken is that people just pop fully in or out of sight. Parts of the people do not show when they would. Meaning that in third person with 4th wall you actually may be at a disadvantage. You are not seeing limbs or sections of the players render they simply plop in fully which is exploitable to anyone who would peak to see plays flash. Id use it as a sort of spotter if it were implemented as shown. Needless to say it wont be added as the community already likes the current state of regular. Again it can be an option for private hives and server hosts but if this is put on official servers expect the game to basically take a huge community hit. That kind of change even if it makes sense to people who have issue with typical third person gaming would harm the community. A thing Id rather them work on is how weapons handle and how zeds interact with the environment. 

It is a work in progress but the idea of the mod is very pleasurable and honestly absolutely needed.

A version of the mod that slowly fades in players or some other sort of trickery so that people do not magically pop is probably being worked on atm.

The ability to see around corners and over buildings and structures is a huge problem one that has to be addressed and fixed eventually anyway, 2 separate hives are all fine and good but the problem would remain in 3pv servers.

if this is put on official servers expect the game to basically take a huge community hit. That kind of change even if it makes sense to people who have issue with typical third person gaming would harm the community. 

Not even a little bit. Like every change they do people will cry for 2 days then forget all about corner camping other than the few remaining people who finally realize they are terrible and could only get kills by using the exploit. Most of the people who corner camp all the time now would soon realize their skills and tactical awareness are improving quickly now that they aren't playing Virtual stand in the corner like you're in time out simulator.

Edited by Weedz

the game needs to go FPV only on release.

let people "try 3pp" in the alpha as they adapt to the learning curve... then get rid of it

• Like 1