wulfenrider@msn.com

A week Playing as a Non-combatant Medic.

From Monday I am going to play as a voluntary Non-combatant Medic, with a sidearm and hatchet for self defence against the infected and a sense of honour as defence against the survivors.

Mission Statement

To offer medical treatment for anyone in need of it without judgement or bias, not to provide military support unless its essential to protect life ( mine or the patients ). A white List for survivors who honour the pact of trust, a black list for those naughty people shooting medics.

Reason

Just for my own curiosity to see if this can actually be done and especially to see if it can be done in this present climate of " shoot first and don't even bother with the questions ". Call it a kind of experiment to see if we can role ourselves in the game beyond simple survivors.

Benefits for those playing

1) Medical support if you can be reached in one piece.

2) Realistic to expect this kind of approach from skilled survivors in actual life.

3) A greater immersion for players.

Technical Problems

1) How the heck do I show I am a Medic character

2) Complete reliance on other players to not shoot on sight.

3) No global Comms.

4) Will my sanity cope with being repeatably killed in game.

5) I am English, but I am not playing Euro Servers as they are just ridiculous kill fests, so will possibly play USA servers......meaning pretty much joining random servers during their nights ( on nightshift this week in the UK )

Results.

I will post results a week later to give a rough idea how this worked out, no cookies or other prizes given out for guessing what the results will be.

I salute you sir! 07

Interested to hear how things turn out. I've been trying to provide medical aid wherever I can and there are few things more satisfying in this game then hiking out to a downed survivor and getting them back on their feet.

yeah tell someone your loaded with bloodbags and morphine. You'll last real long

=/

good idea though, goodluck

i'm striving to do this as well... only using "lame" vehicles to assist me like boats and atvs/bikes. but yea, armed with a hatchet and makarov.

the biggest obstacle i see to doing this, beyond any pvp, will be the complete absence of global chat.

interested to see you post your results.

With global comm this will be impossible. No one asks if you're friendly anymore and you will be shot on sight.

Sadly this is the current state of this game and don't sit there and tell me it's not because that's all people do now and imo is worse now than when we had side chat.

My hat is off to you sir as you are one brave sob lol

yeah tell someone your loaded with bloodbags and morphine. You'll last real long

=/

good idea though' date=' goodluck

[/quote']

While I see your point, if you can trust that the doc's going to be there when you need him anyway, why would you shoot? Sod carrying morphine and blood transfusions if I can have someone else do it for me :P

If I saw him passing through my area I'd be more inclined to try and make sure he survives so he can come back should I need his services.

Good on you!

I applaud your idea, and wish you luck. As a token of good faith, I will advise you that US 83 TX7 still has side chat. Maybe we'll see you there. :D

been playing as a none-combat player since i started with this game, these days it just gets you killed...

I'm playing as a non-combatant field psychologist, let me know how it went and how it made you feel.

May I suggest, as a way to denote that you are a medic, put a (+), or a (MD) before your character name. That way, people can tell if there's a medic on the server by pressing P for a player list. (or a bandit disguised as a medic...don't worry, bandits can't read anyway)

I commend your idea. Perhaps it would be better if you travel with an armed entourage?

Good luck to you in your endeavour sir :)

Would love to run into (or even run with you for a while), but with my group's banditry policies up north, I'm quite sure you wouldn't be happy that we're cutting your potential-patients down.

I'll keep a watch out for you, though, and try to get my buddies to quell their trigger-fingers if we happen to pass by each other.

I'm playing as a non-combatant field psychologist' date=' let me know how it went and how it made you feel.

[/quote']

lol

Prob' already been said but if you answer a call for help, say a blood transfusion. Make sure they know you are on the way with only that 1 bag of blood and nothing else at all on you. At least then your not a walking loot bag.

Find a decent stash for your gear when going on a call. Maybe take binoculars if you take anything so you recon before you go in.

No matter what precautions you take your gonna die, A LOT !

Best of luck to you and look forward to hear how things turned out.

Mission Update 1.

Server: Atlanta 10

Time: 03:00 local

Pitch black and rummaging around in the tented military camp for some medical supplies and a serviceable pistol.No attempt at stealth or guile and in fact doing the exact opposite..firing off my beloved M16 to kill the infected around the town before I ditch it for my new hatchet and illuminating myself with a rather fetching bright blue chem light.

I suddenly hear a suspicious sound near me, and while stationary and lit like a Christmas tree started to type in local " Friendly...Medic, can I be of help and....."

Where upon the suspicious looking bush opened up in rapid semi auto.

I took this as a hint that they were not in need of my medical services and made my excuses and left.

Fortunately I must have met the worst sniper in DayZ or one that was blind, because he/she did not manage to hit me once, even though you must have let off a full magazine at me.....obviously my running blindly into tents and dead ends and holding a bright blue chem stick confused you.

When you slowly crouched around the large industrial hanger, I was indeed no more than 30 yards from you and had your skull in the m16 sights until you wandered off....good job I am a medic.

Lessons Learnt

1) My fault I suppose, by getting some infected kills in, I assume I immediately broadcasted myself as hostile.

2) No attempt at all to communicate from the wall-eyed sniper even though they had me cold.

3) Continue using bright blue chemsticks and standing still as it makes you hard to hit.

Good post op - I'm EU but have been playing on a US server with global chat still on, so I'll post details when I get home and can look in my notebook to see which one it was.

On a side note - does anyone have proof that direct chat works? Typed, I mean.

Good post op - I'm EU but have been playing on a US server with global chat still on' date=' so I'll post details when I get home and can look in my notebook to see which one it was.

On a side note - does anyone have proof that direct chat works? Typed, I mean.

[/quote']

why would you think it doesnt work? It works perfectly fine its range is 40m

dude i would be a medic to and would like only play the game to help ppl not joking.....but almost every server has the chat disabled...they say: u cant talk with ppl at far distance in real life !

ok u know what ? fuck your real life...this is a game ok i want to play and have fun and maybe not be in real life because i have to deal with shit every day like the rest auf the ppl and yeah

we need a chat thats ppl who like to play a medic can do so !

i support this idea and i would be a medic to and save your ass when u are in trouble !!!

+1 for efforts, I like it.

Keep with it, I'm sure you'll have some great incounters where your medical skills will make the difference between life and death for some poor survivor. I'll keep reading your progress :-)

It would be the best if you had a medevac chopper. You'd have to have a crew so it wouldn't get jacked though.

Rocket needs to make some Red Cross arm badges for people like you.

why would you think it doesnt work? It works perfectly fine its range is 40m

Oh, cause I was in an apartment building and came across a survivor - he claimed he had been talking to me in direct, but I didn't hear it. Luckily, Global was still on.

And anytime I've tried to talk to someone in direct it has not worked.