Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

I know I said I wouldn't bother replying again but this point wasn't addressed in my post, yet again though you're not making a point of any worth whatsoever. DayZ has belonged to BI long before standalone was released, years ago when the mod was still more or less in development. Rocket sold them the intellectual property because he wanted their resources behind it and he now earns royalties on sold copies, which is why it's precisely in his own self-interest that it get finished and continue to sell.

Seriously, every point you have made reads like you either haven't been following the progress of the game for the last 18 months or two years or it reads like you haven't bothered reading anything Rocket himself has said since this announcement. You're just a typical poster with 'internet outrage'. Anyway, I do have to go out in just over an hour so this really will be my last response to you. Before you even bother replying to stomp your feet in outrage again, go back and read post #894 until it finally sinks in.

Its not rage its disappointment mixed with joy, something you cant seem to grasp, yet I have explained what 2 times already. I have always been supportive of the project and only joined with forum a couple of months after you in 2012. I have followed it from its beginnings and was one of the first few thousand to install the mod. The times where it would take about 30 mins just to find a working server etc.

I invested in the early alpha but have not played more than 3 hours purely because of the warning and i know i will burn out on a half-finished game before it hits beta. I have followed the production of this game since day1, moreso than a large proportion of this forum. 

No shit it was technically BI's game from the start, ofc it would be being produced in the studio and using the arma engine. But Rockets hold on the game and him having pretty much the last saw on everything has been true from the start, something you find difficult to understand. He was given free rein to do things his way. Taking a very "it will be finished when its ready" approach, something most studios would not let him do, yet had little or no sense of urgency of other games like rust popping up and being developed at a much faster pace. Now he’s homesick, this is coming from a guy who spent a few months climbing Everest and was in the fucking army, sorry if my sympathy for him is a little low. It’s a pretty flimsy excuse. I just think everyone saying oh poor rocket, let him go home are treating him like a delicate flower. This man has made a mint out of this game in the space of a few years, something all developers would kill to do, so much so he has the finances to set up his own fucking studio at what 31, a game he was so “passionate about” yet is happy to leave it before its finished.

Yet as I seem to have to say again! I think the game will be better without him and I think ti will progress at a much faster pace without him at the helm, something he was so ill prepared to do in the first place.  

• Like 1

I love how everyones ignoring that he flat out said DayZ will never be the game he wanted and promised us all.

That's because he didn't say that. He said it will never be the ultimate multiplayer experience he wanted to make. That doesn't mean that DayZ isn't the zombie game we were promised and that he wanted it to be.

All those of you whining about how it's taking time to produce the game need to know about a basic game development principle:

You have cost, time and quality. The formula looks as follows:

If you make a game of high quality fast, it will be expensive.

If you make a game for a low production cost fast it will be of low quality.

If you make a high quality game for a low production cost it will take time.

---------------------------

Let that sink in for a moment.

• Like 1

That's because he didn't say that. He said it will never be the ultimate multiplayer experience he wanted to make. That doesn't mean that DayZ isn't the zombie game we were promised and that he wanted it to be.

All those of you whining about how it's taking time to produce the game need to know about a basic game development principle:

You have cost, time and quality. The formula looks as follows:

If you make a game of high quality fast, it will be expensive.

If you make a game for a low production cost fast it will be of low quality.

If you make a high quality game for a low production cost it will take time.

---------------------------

Let that sink in for a moment.

Lets what sink in for a minute? Your poor attempt at fanboyism? He's legging it with the money AND telling us all it will never be what we all wanted.

"Let that sink in for a moment"

Lets what sink in for a minute? Your poor attempt at fanboyism? He's legging it with the money AND telling us all it will never be what we all wanted.

"Let that sink in for a moment"

Yeah um.. no. He's not legging it with the money, because of all the money they recieve from the game sales most of it goes to BI and development. Also he's not leaving until at the earliest in 10 months. Finally, he never said it will never be the game we all wanted. He said it will never be the multiplayer experience he wanted to make. So, since you apparently lack fundamental reading comprehension I'm not expecting you to read this post and understand it. Just like you failed to read my previous post and understand that.

Good luck in life. You're gonna need it.

I followed dayz (the mod) for a long time and I still play and enjoy it despite all its problems - I like it a lot. I did not purchase the SA because at this time it is mostly an eye candy version of dayz (the mod) with little more substance, similar bugs and limitations.

Clearly, this is a rude awakening for the fan-boy population and I have a lot of sympathy for them, but there is really nothing new in what is happening now. All we need is just to remember:

1. dayz (the mod) comes out:

"this is dayz mod, it will be wonderful. It is very buggy now, but it is the engine's fault."

"dayz is, at this time, in alpha state, but it will evolve, we will add tons of things!"

... time passes ...

"We can't achieve the vision of the game with this design"

"Let's forget dayz. It is a thing of the past. there will be the dayz SA, it will be better, everything will be possible there!"

2. Then the SA comes, in the first (aborted) incarnation:

"dayz SA is coming. It will be wonderful."

"It will be alpha in the beginning"

"it will be buggy in the beginning, but it will evolve, we will add tons of things!"

... time passes, release date approaches ...

"We can't achieve the vision of the game with this approach."

"Let's forget the dayz SA and its release date. We need to restart once again, it will be a dedicated engine. Everything will be possible there!"

3. Then the current SA comes.

"dayz SA is coming. it will be wonderful"

"it will be alpha and buggy in the beginning, but it will evolve, we will add tons of things (so buy it please)!"

... time passes ...

"We can't achieve the vision of the game with this setup."

"Let's forget dayz SA. We need to restart once again, it will be a super special thing, a new MMO never dreamed before.  Everything will be possible there!"

Do you see any pattern?

_Anubis_

Edited by _Anubis_

There is something seriously wrong with some of you guys here.

This is a fuckin' game and some of you are really writing like the leave of rocket is the end to your life, geez...How many hours have you played the mod, how many hours did you play the SA? Even if the SA will go tits up (which I honstely don't think, because 1 guy is leaving) and you have payed for it, you still have played and enjoyed the mod and the SA to some degree. So stop whining about those 25 EUR/30 $. And stop whing right now nothing fuckin' happend until now.

In addition there is someone who is away from home for 3 years and is missing it, so very naturally he wants to go home again. WTF is there to complain about?

And stop whing right now nothing fuckin' happend until now.

In addition there is someone who is away from home for 3 years and is missing it, so very naturally he wants to go home again. WTF is there to complain about?

I like your post, it shows the full magnitude of being special and a fanboy.

Edited by Highlander007

Taking a very "it will be finished when its ready" approach, something most studios would not let him do, yet had little or no sense of urgency of other games like rust popping up and being developed at a much faster pace. Now he’s homesick, this is coming from a guy who spent a few months climbing Everest and was in the fucking army, sorry if my sympathy for him is a little low. It’s a pretty flimsy excuse. I just think everyone saying oh poor rocket, let him go home are treating him like a delicate flower. This man has made a mint out of this game in the space of a few years, something all developers would kill to do, so much so he has the finances to set up his own fucking studio at what 31, a game he was so “passionate about” yet is happy to leave it before its finished.

Personally, I think the whole homesick thing is BS. There has to be more to it we don't know yet. Either way, Dean leaving before this game is even finished is ridiculous no matter what spin people try to put on it. How will it affect the development, I don't really know. What I do know, for everyone concerned about DayZ turning into CoD now, there's probably more chance of that happening with Dean at the helm than it is going to be with Bohemia.

Well, I have already gotten back my €20 value, and I'm currently testing out the new stuff on experimental servers to help find bugs.

I'm not one of those who expected a finished and polished game for less than a full price title after reading a hefty disclaimer and warning not to buy the game.

Basically I think those who stay away from buying the game have a good excuse. I have friends who do that. Personally I chose to spend the (for me small) amount to test out the game and see what it was about. And I'm happy I did.

Edited by Strawman

I followed dayz (the mod) for a long time and I still play and enjoy it despite all its problems - I like it a lot. I did not purchase the SA because at this time it is mostly an eye candy version of dayz (the mod) with little more substance, similar bugs and limitations.

Clearly, this is a rude awakening for the fan-boy population and I have a lot of sympathy for them, but there is really nothing new in what is happening now. All we need is just to remember:

1. dayz (the mod) comes out:

"this is dayz mod, it will be wonderful. It is very buggy now, but it is the engine's fault."

"dayz is, at this time, in alpha state, but it will evolve, we will add tons of things!"

... time passes ...

"We can't achieve the vision of the game with this design"

"Let's forget dayz. It is a thing of the past. there will be the dayz SA, it will be better, everything will be possible there!"

2. Then the SA comes, in the first (aborted) incarnation:

"dayz SA is coming. It will be wonderful."

"It will be alpha in the beginning"

"it will be buggy in the beginning, but it will evolve, we will add tons of things!"

... time passes, release date approaches ...

"We can't achieve the vision of the game with this approach."

"Let's forget the dayz SA and its release date. We need to restart once again, it will be a dedicated engine. Everything will be possible there!"

3. Then the current SA comes.

"dayz SA is coming. it will be wonderful"

"it will be alpha and buggy in the beginning, but it will evolve, we will add tons of things (so buy it please)!"

... time passes ...

"We can't achieve the vision of the game with this setup."

"Let's forget dayz SA. We need to restart once again, it will be a super special thing, a new MMO never dreamed before.  Everything will be possible there!"

Do you see any pattern?

_Anubis_

i posted exactly this in another thread called. "2 years later nothing has changed"

Well, I have already gotten back my €20 value, and I'm currently testing out the new stuff on experimental servers to help find bugs.

I'm not one of those who expected a finished and polished game for less than a full price title after reading a hefty disclaimer and warning not to buy the game.

Basically I think those who stay away from buying the game have a good excuse. I have friends who do that. Personally I chose to spend the (for me small) amount to test out the game and see what it was about. And I'm happy I did.

I paid 18 GBP for Skyrim on launch day and that was near enough perfect compared to this game.

I paid 12GBP for BF4 3 months after launch and it actually works compared to this.

i paid 29.99 for Crysis 3 and it was awesome. 

Im sorry but its its current state this game isnt worth 5 GBP. at 5 GBP its worth a punt but we have paid FULL PRICE for a game that i dont think will ever be what we want it to be.

I paid 18 GBP for Skyrim on launch day and that was near enough perfect compared to this game.

I paid 12GBP for BF4 3 months after launch and it actually works compared to this.

i paid 29.99 for Crysis 3 and it was awesome. 

Im sorry but its its current state this game isnt worth 5 GBP. at 5 GBP its worth a punt but we have paid FULL PRICE for a game that i dont think will ever be what we want it to be.

The concept of "full price title" is not what you think it is.

Either way it doesn't matter. You're not having fun with the game. I am. Maybe we had different expectations when buying the game. I expected it to be a buggy, glitchy alpha. Not sure what you expected though.

Shitfire, im gone a week and find out the guru is leaving town.

I hate over reacting and fear mongering but 2 quotes from the article i read have my suspension up that my worst fears "might" be in play here.

And it's kind of like cooking in someone else's kitchen: I don't want to be constantly telling Bohemia that this is how I do it and this is the way we do it."

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept," he went on, "and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it."

The perfect multiplayer experience: "I want to chase that."

The first one i read as BI has put the foot down and since there is only room for one chef in the kitchen someone has to go.

The second,  the concept is flawed due to a direction conflict. May also be engine restrictions tho.

No matter, i believe in Deans vision and if DayZ pans out to stay within that vision I will stay a fan. If not, i have other things to do.

I will look forward to what new offerings he presents.

• Like 1

Who is this Rocket guy everyone is having a cow about?   :unsure:

As long as the guys who ru(i)n(ed) the mod don't get hired on to work on the standalone, we'll be fine.  That'd be much worse than Dean leaving the project in my opinion.  I'm sure Dean has shared his ideas with the team working on the SA, and i'm sure those ideas are written down somewhere for future reference.

With the mod, I feel like i'm playing verson 1.4 again, except now with a bunch of extra items that are insignificant(i.e. sodas, food, disinfectant wipes that don't work, clothing, etc.).  The zombies, or infected, or whatever...the things that run 10 times faster than the player in a zig-zag pattern are back to spotting the player and attacking through buildings and objects.  It's embarassing to look at, and extremely frustrating to play.

As long as the SA doesn't look like the mod 2 years from now, i'll play it.  If it does, or if the guys who run the mod get employed by BI Studios, i'll gladly move on.

Here is an interesting question, would he have left the game, or at least announced he was leaving if this game didn’t have paid for early access. Would he have stuck it out if they hadn’t already made millions and he had taken a chunk of it? 

He announced in June 2013 already? So your question is rather pointless...

And he didn't make millions - DayZ belongs to Bohemia. He is employed there. Sure, he'll got some royalties, but i doubt that the sum is so extreme high as some people imagine...

Here is an interesting question, would he have left the game, or at least announced he was leaving if this game didn’t have paid for early access. Would he have stuck it out if they hadn’t already made millions and he had taken a chunk of it? 

Only Dean could answer that. But my guess would be that he signed a two year contract or so that had it's incentives. It could also be that within a contract he's obligated to see the game at least through beta. 

But within any media business (film, game, traditional art) the artist spends years on one project. It's a huge chunk of their life to commit to one thing. 

I'm sure that having such an overwhelming response to the game this early on made it easier to not sign another contract and begin another part of life. Anybody that's worked in the arts before (I have) knows that from conception to realization is usually a 5 or 6 year process. It takes a lot out of you. I'm sure that when weighing all of the pros and cons, whatever amount of money he made and the fact that the game got such a great response helped him walk away more easily. 

The other thing is that as an artist when you take on a project it's so hard to not get overly attached to your work. I think that Dean giving more (perceived) responsibility to his other collaborators can only aid the game. 

He announced in June 2013 already? So your question is rather pointless...

And he didn't make millions - DayZ belongs to Bohemia. He is employed there. Sure, he'll got some royalties, but i doubt that the sum is so extreme high as some people imagine...

it isnt pointless as it was always going to be paid for early access, and he knew he wouldnt have left before the money started flowing in. So still very valid as if the money had only started flowing when it was a full release he wouldnt had had the cash to start his own studio. Also it must have been pretty large the amount he received considering he has the funds to start up his own freeking studio.  

Can someone explain to me, since I'm not a programmer, how is Dayz SA a ''whole new game'' as it's claimed when it's on an Arma engine and everything looks and feels like playing Arma 3....? Vehicles will be pretty much the same too

In that case: Sorry, misunderstood your question.

So one more try:

You can only take a guess on this one. Mine would be: I think he would have left anyways/announced that he was leaving. I may be too naive, but I don't think that he is really all about money. From interviews to Q&A sessions and so on - he just doesn't seem like the guy. Additionally, if he really would be about the money, he would have just stayed at BI - I don't think that they want that he goes, clashing heads or not. If he would only got the royalties after the full release, well I'd guess, he'd worked somewhere near his home.

Maybe I'm too sympathetic here, but I've worke for 3 years away from home and in the end I just wanted to go home - even if it was for the worse regarding ym income...

And to the own studio:

He hasn't started his own studio by now, he only announced he will when he returns home. And I don't know if he has enough funds to make a studio in an exclusive mansion with 50 employees that can run for 2 years without publishing anything or if he works alone in his flat. Costs may differ for these.

Edit:

@Highlander: A lot of games base on the same engine and are totally different games. Take the Unity Engine - a lot of games use it and everyone of them claims to be a whole new game. And you have to watch out...a game engine =/= graphics engine =/= physics engine etc. e.g. the unreal engine (graphics engine, but no ganme engine).

Most Studios do not develop an own engine, instead they buy an existing one.

And DaZ does not derivate from ArmA 3...it derivates from Arma2, Arrowhead.

DayZ Standalone utilizes the Take On Helicopter engine, which is a branch of the Arma II Operation Arrowhead engine Real Virtuality.

so...like 2.5. But to make things possible, that weren't possible in the 2.5 engine, it had to be built up from scratch again. Looks simialr, feels similar, allows more, because it is especially developed for DayZs needs....if it is correct what we are told ;)

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 1