Upsidian

Cannibalism

I can personally see a good use for cannibalism in the game, if done right.

The main arguments against cannibalism in this game are: 1.) It wouldn't add something to the game. 2.) Would be too controversial. But nothing is less true:

Cannibalism has been in multiple medias since ancient times and most of them have become classics, think about silence of the lamb, The walking dead, Titus Andronicus to call out a few prime examples and while this would be the first time a player can eat a other player it wouldn't really be that new. What would be a lot more interesting is the way players are going to react to Cannibalism. It would make the player "Alignment" a lot more 3-dimensional.

With good people who choose to eat people out of need, Bandits who start crusades against cannibals, Hannibals who charm you to your slaughter, to just give a few examples.

But the game shouldn't encourage cannibalism, neither should it punish the player for his actions so there should be some neutral buff/debuff system for Cannibalism. While its entirely up to the creators to choose how they would do it, here is my idea to view it as a incurable status:

Cannibalism

lvl 0: Human meat fills very little hunger and has a 20% chance for vomiting.

lvl 1: Human meat food increased by 20% | Normal food decreased by 20% | No vomiting.

lvl 2: Human meat food increased by 40% | Normal food decreased by 40%

lvl 3: Human meat food increased by 60% | Normal food decreased by 60 | Considered a cannibal.

lvl 4: Human meat food increased by 80% | Normal food decreased by 80%

lvl 5: Human meat food increased by 2x | Normal food doesn't fills hunger anymore

lvl 6: Human meat food increased by 2,25x | Unable to notice if somebody is a bandit or not unless they are considered cannibals. | Normal food makes you vomit

While may not be totally realistic it would be fair. The game won't encourage players to start eating human meat but will encourage Cannibals to travel in pacts.

This way the player first has to compare to pro's and con's before he starts eating people.

So here is my argumentation why you should add Cannibalism to the game, I think that the option to force feed people their friends is a matter for later discussions after we finished this chapter.

hannibal_lecter_iphone_pod_wallpaper_by_

• Like 1

When it comes to the argument on whether or not cannibalism should be in the game, I usually wonder how often I would actually feel it necessary to do so to survive. Typically, at this point, getting food is easier than locating corpse (or creating them i suppose), and to me it seems that people only want to be able to cannibalize for...fun, i guess.

Yes... I said it...

Hog tie a captor. Carry him/her back to camp ties to a long pole/length of wood.

Devour victim to replenish energy.

Now imagine this but as the victim, how fucking scary would it be, being carried off by other players only to be butchered on a stone slab...

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Cannibalism has been suggested many times. I'd like to see it in the game, but if it does become an option I want to see a chance of contracting a sickness from it just like you would have in real life (kuru and diseases transmitted through bodily fluids).

Cannibalism is a reasonable scenario for the post-apocalyptic world.  If people are starving to death it would happen.  I'm not sure the game needs it, but it's plausible.  

I'll make sure to eat you first.

Is that an offer of a date?

I think it would be awesome, no only would you have bandits to worry about but also relentless cannibals running around!

Well, It was a great addition on the DayZ mod if the server had it installed. I had it on my server and it was fun.  ^-^

Also, if you eat other people you should start to get jittery.  Make your hands shake and what not, just like in The Road or The Book of Eli.  It will be a consequence of eating other people and make your aim slightly bad when shooting.  Then take meds for it.

• Like 2

Dayz is supposed to be realistic, so I'd say cannibalism in a post apocalyptic world is more realistic than dying from a rotten piece of fruit.

^Does eating humans make you have the jitters or is that Hollywood reality?

Edited by TheWanderingMan
  • Like 1

Dayz is supposed to be realistic, so I'd say cannibalism in a post apocalyptic world is more realistic than dying from a rotten piece of fruit.

^Does eating humans make you have the jitters or is that Hollywood reality?

For real.

A well-known and documented disease that comes from (mostly) eating nerve material such as brains (zombie connection anyone?)

Seriously though. As someone mentioned above most apocalyptic scenarios (world war z, Morningstar, walking dead comics and many more) have an element of cannibalism and let's face it, even in real life events there have been recorded incidents of cannibalism in extreme survival situations.

I think the best way to do this would be to offer the choice of cannibalism in extremes circumstances, for example you and your friends are miles away from safe haven, out of food and one of you have sustained a broken leg. Your both on the verge of starvation so instead of just dieing you have the choice of sacrificing yourself so that your friend may carry on (and hopefully save some of your gear!).

There should be a penalty to this (again as someone mentioned above) with a chance of contracting some sort of illness, or maybe something like having to carry on cannibalising as you grow dependant on human flesh (maybe some sort of hybrid infection or just a general blood lust).

Toot

Ha just wondered if you were an expert on the subject. Believing what you read through google or on a wiki page is bonkers anyway lol.

Naw, but wiki is easiest thing to link to.

99% of people on forums do not appreciate, nor have the time, to read actual medical research papers.

Thus, wikipedia is just the easiest manner to convey a general understanding of a topic.

Ha just wondered if you were an expert on the subject. Believing what you read through google or on a wiki page is bonkers anyway lol.

Yeah, because it's not like Kuru is a disease that hasn't been studied before. Or JCD for that matter.

If it makes you feel any better, you can always look it up in jama or you don't believe that source either because it's on the internet?

On the topic of kuru and cannibalism... if cannibalism and the disease itself were to be implemented it would be quite fatal, since you wouldn't be able to control your character after a while due to severe loss of muscle control

I absolutely want canibalism in DayZ.

I WANNA EAT YOUR FACE!

Everytime I find a hacksaw, I fondly dream of it. >.>

We could start calling the Bambi's VEAL!

Don't get your knickers in a twist bro's!! Not having a go whatsoever, just saying you shouldn't believe everything you read on the web.

Most wiki pages are written by common plebs such as ourselves that have no 'expert' knowledge on the subject.

inb4 the moaners