Upsidian

Cannibalism

Hey guys.

I was thinking, since this is pretty much a survival simulator. Why not add the ability to eat other players? 

Let`s say you are starving, you have just killed another survivor. He has no loot, so in desperation you maybe cut of parts of his body. Roast it and eat it.

Then lets say you get sick from eating that survivor. Now the only way to stave off the sickness so it does not kill you, is to keep eating people. Effectivly making you a cannibal.

I realise this is like wtf? But i think it would add some depth to the game. By forcing the person who ate a survivor to keep eating survivors to stay alive, and not sucumb to the sickness. It will also make sure you only do this as a last resort. Since this is something you cannot back out of once it has been done. 

You could have groups of cannibals feeding of the land so to speak. Sacrificing one of theyre own for food if desperation sets in. Lots of RP elements there.

Now the next time you meet a fellow survivor. You gotta worry if he is hungry as well ;)

Anyways. This is my effed up idea. Let me know what you guys think.

Edited by Upsidian
  • Like 6

I am a cow man in game so when i eat cow i eat my own kind.

• Like 2

Are you sure? I know there were some debates about that topic and as far as I remember they refused to put it into the game because it would make it too bestial. DayZ is a real game now, not just a mod. A game with cannibalism in it would cause sensation, and not in a positive way...

Fallout has cannibalism.

There should be some very serious side affects though, like making you crazy or something.

It would make other players even scarier.  Now you would avoid roads because there are cars with cannibal bands that are cannibal turned bandits hungry for loot and meat.

• Like 1

Are you sure? I know there were some debates about that topic and as far as I remember they refused to put it into the game because it would make it too bestial. DayZ is a real game now, not just a mod. A game with cannibalism in it would cause sensation, and not in a positive way...

Fallout has cannibalism in and after you've interacted with the body, I'm pretty sure it turns in to a bloody mess!

• Like 1

I'm not sure which survival simulators you've been playing but "the only way to stave off the sickness so it does not kill you, is to keep eating people" does not sound very 'authentic' to me. xD

• Like 5

I hope this gets in as well. a roaming band of cannibalizing bandit's now that will add some more tension to the game. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure which survival simulators you've been playing but "the only way to stave off the sickness so it does not kill you, is to keep eating people" does not sound very 'authentic' to me. xD

Haha i see your point xD That was more a thing to make sure that once you go cannibal, you cant go back. It is open for suggestions though :P

Yeah it is a real game now. But still it is a survival sim. In real life, people have been known to turn to cannibalism as a last resort. In Circumstances that is horrofyingly difficult to survive. Like being stranded on a mountain. Like the movie "Alive" Or for instance. Being in a Zombie apocalypse

Edited by Upsidian

Yeah it is a real game now. But still it is a survival sim. In real life, people have been known to turn to cannibalism as a last resort. In Circumstances that is horrofyingly difficult to survive. Like being stranded on a mountain. Like the movie "Alive" Or for instance. Being in a Zombie apocalypse

I could imagine some people would also rape defensless survivors in the apocalypse (happens even without the apoc) but I doubt that rape will make it into the game.

I could imagine some people would also rape defensless survivors in the apocalypse (happens even without the apoc) but I doubt that rape will make it into the game.

Offcourse rape wont make it in to the game. Cannibalism however, should. Like mentioned above, take fallout. You can go cannibal there. Can you rape people in fallout? No. So when it comes to what videogames can and cannot do. Cannibalism is in the yes. While rape is in the no.

Also, you eat to survive. Food is important. You dont rape to survive.

Edited by Upsidian

Force feeding people is the closest we'll get to rape in this game...

But cannibalism should make it's way into the game. I like the side effect that you commit to being a cannibal and therefor have to hunt players to survive.

• Like 3

Offcourse rape wont make it in to the game. Cannibalism however, should. Like mentioned above, take fallout. You can go cannibal there. Can you rape people in fallout? No. So when it comes to what videogames can and cannot do. Cannibalism is in the yes. While rape is in the no.

Also, you eat to survive. Food is important. You dont rape to survive.

I just tried to tell you that just because something would happen in real life it doesent mean you can put it into your viedogame.

Some psyco running around and killing people in a horrible way, we already had that in history. But after all Manhunt is illegal in quite many countries.

I just tried to tell you that just because something would happen in real life it doesent mean you can put it into your viedogame.

Some psyco running around and killing people in a horrible way, we already had that in history. But after all Manhunt is illegal in quite many countries.

As far as i am concerned. DayZ already has psycho`s running around killing people in quite creative and horrible manners. I still think Cannibalism should be a thing :)

Edited by Upsidian

I'm not against the idea of cannibalism, but think for a minute.

Once this becomes a feature of DayZ, what is difference then between us as human players and the zombies?

• Like 3

As far as i am concerned. DayZ already has psycho`s running around killing people in quite creative and horrible manners. I still think Cannibalism should be a thing :)

So do I.

Once this becomes a feature of DayZ, what is difference then between us as human players and the zombies?

Isnt that the heart of the matter though? In all Zombie movies and good zombie games. The Zombies are merely a catalyst. Other humans is what you have be scared off. Living breathing things with an unpredictable mind.

Edited by Upsidian

Why do you have to keep eating people (even writing this seems kinda weird, dayum) after doing that? Not like it's an addiction, eh? Moreso a necessity or so, as far as I can imagine.

What should be in is that you get the shakes after some time. (Lack of?) Nutrition or w/e it is. Basically, you might have a new mobile potential food supply but it comes at a price. If your hands are shaky, go figure aiming. Or, if you want to expand on it, go figure doing stuff that'd require calmer hands.

Edited by Combine

Cannibalism is confiiiiirmed...

YEEEAAAH BUUUUDDYYYY !!!!!

num,num,num.....so will that be a calf on a barbie ?

what do you mean ,side effects .... puff, iv never had any side effects !

• Like 1

Why do you have to keep eating people (even writing this seems kinda weird, dayum) after doing that? Not like it's an addiction, eh? Moreso a necessity or so, as far as I can imagine.

What should be in is that you get the shakes after some time. (Lack of?) Nutrition or w/e it is. Basically, you might have a new mobile potential food supply but it comes at a price. If your hands are shaky, go figure aiming. Or, if you want to expand on it, go figure doing stuff that'd require calmer hands.

The reason i want you to keep eating people :P Is so that it becomes a harder choice to make.

If you first go cannibal, you have to commit to cannibalism.

How it would work is open to suggestion. Maybe getting sick if you do not keep eating people doesent fit. In that case, maybe instead of sickness. Have the player not benefit from Normal food. If you eat normal food afterwards, your character throws up or something. Forcing you to keep eating survivors. Like i said though, It is very much open to suggestion how it would work. I am simply just sharing my ideas :D

Edited by Upsidian

Ah but therein lies the poetry of zombie apocalypse...

Also... not into it making you sick (it wouldnt) or it making you an addict (it wouldnt),... might make you fucking crazy though... unless it was part of your culture or group (hence my earlier comment at some serious synergy btwn Cannibalism and the Mental Constitution suggestion I referenced).

Edited by spcmonkey
  • Like 1

From a gameplay POV I think it would not be very productive to force players to stick to cannibalism once tried. It would increase killing and certain "offensive playstyles". It would also be a disadvantage because you may not encounter more people, but always normal food (spawns).

I see no problem with shaking hands however. Obviously, it does not have to be instant and after the first time. But if you keep doing it... (possibly WITHOUT eating anything else to even it out...) then you might put yourself at risk.

But maybe there can be some balance or compromise to incorporate certain realistic drawbacks. Maybe increased infection risk when consuming, or so.