hiniberus

Musical instruments?

Hey all,

While I'm pretty sure it ought to go in the suggestions forum, I just wanted to check out GD's idea to music (pre-written pieces and self-made) to be introduced eventually. It's a misc, low-priority thing but I'd carry the fuck out of an acoustic or a harmonica and play that shit while sitting down for food/water/friends in a town or campfire with friends.

What would you do if you just saw someone playing an instrument anyhow? I'd probably toss them a can of food haha :D

• Like 12

Would be neat, but as you said, certainly needs to be low priority.

I like it,give the ability for the survivor to sit down and play the guitar.

Mabe scavage music sheets as items to teach and enable your survivor to play different songs.

• Like 1

I want violin cases that can be used to put tommy guns in.

[Edit: You can have violins as well if you want]

Edited by Pillock

You gave me a brilliant idea! Play my guitar over proxy.. now I just need at least an in game model of a guitar, does not need to do anything in game.. my character could just hold it while I play out loud for all to hear. 

:)

Edited by lrish

If they just include a guitar and playing animation, you could play over the mic. Download Guitar Pro, some guitar tabs, and you're good to go.

Edited by t1337Dude

If they just include a guitar and playing animation, you could play over the mic. Download Guitar Pro, some guitar tabs, and you're good to go.

I now want to be the Cherno house band.. I will take requests and play for 2 hour blocks outside the church. 

Look for me :)

• Like 1

I like the harmonica idea particularly, and the idea of stuff to do to keep your character sane in general.

All games need stuff to do aside from the core features. Keeps it fresh for far longer. In Final Fantasy VII (perhaps not the best example), I spent way more time snowboarding and racing chocobos than actually saving the world, and it was all lore-friendly for that game.

• Like 2

This is my favourite suggestion so far.

It might turn out like this, though:

• Like 4

Haha I'm so glad you guys are taking well to my suggestion! It actually did come from previous experience with the STALKER trilogy and one of the things I loved the most was indeed when someone was playing the guitar. So that's why I think stuff like the acoustic and harmonica would do well in this sort of setting (Fucking brownie points if you can walk while playing [with a  strap on for the guitar or something?]) 

Granted while not high priority, it's the trivial things in a game that make people love it. So I think the addition of fully usable instruments would be amazing and possibly encourage that player interaction Rocket really wants!

If it were a choice between carrying a guitar or carrying an M4, I'd pick the guitar most days.

+1 from me.

• Like 3

How about a boombox ? Whould Need 6 batteries ofc and you need to find tapes. ( and staying true to the Location it whould be Polka and whatnot )

• Like 1

How about a boombox ? Whould Need 6 batteries ofc and you need to find tapes. ( and staying true to the Location it whould be Polka and whatnot )

I like this idea too. Especially if you could adjust the volume so it reached up to a 120m range or something cool like that.

Would be interesting too! Though finding the music for it that isn't copyrighted would be the issue, probably.

I like this idea too. Especially if you could adjust the volume so it reached up to a 120m range or something cool like that.

If it were a choice between carrying a guitar or carrying an M4, I'd pick the guitar most days.

+1 from me.

Space could be an issue for fitting one (Additional slot like melee/primary rifle?) That'd be awesome!

Would be interesting too! Though finding the music for it that isn't copyrighted would be the issue, probably.

Space could be an issue for fitting one (Additional slot like melee/primary rifle?) That'd be awesome!

Gone Home had in game radios with tapes you could find and play out lout. Real bands that allowed their music or no longer had copyrights on it. It was a nice touch, and could be really good in DayZ. Its probably the easiest to implement too. People would be trading tapes all over the place, and I could play long tall sally in my huey once they add in helis. :D

Gone Home had in game radios with tapes you could find and play out lout. Real bands that allowed their music or no longer had copyrights on it. It was a nice touch, and could be really good in DayZ. Its probably the easiest to implement too. People would be trading tapes all over the place, and I could play long tall sally in my huey once they add in helis. :D

Yeah that'd also something of a possibility or even let users add their own music too o: or places with royalty free music like newgrounds etc

I think it would be awesome. Perhaps the longer you played the better you get (no stats of course) and maybe you could learn new songs. That way only the long time survivors could carry out the best tunes. It would be really cool to have something like that for when you are all just chilling around a campfire or something.

• Like 1

How hard can it be to code a harmonica, you character equip and then you blow into your mic?!

• Like 1