Nex (DayZ)

Which vehicles would you want to see in DayZ?

I think the majority of salvageable choppers in the game should be found in woodland clearings, specially military. Pilots that survived getting their birds off the ground would not be landing in highly populated areas of infected.

• Like 1

That's true wolf that's why I think ultralight aircraft would fit better, they fly slow and can't carry 20 people at once. I also think flying should be dangerous, like there is a chance of engine failure if the parts are not pristine or you run out of oil.

The issue I'm sitting on here is the ease of base discovery an elevated line of sight provides. You'll have flown in the mod - you know just how easy it is to see tents, vehicles, or in the appropriate mods, houses, once you're in the air. Nothing is hidden. Everything becomes obvious once you're overhead, and I don't think there's any kind of camouflage feature that could properly disguise a base or stash when you opposition can see from the sky - and most of the terrain around said stash or base is regular enough to make an inconsistently glaringly obvious, especially with the terrain textures not loading up unless you're less than thirty metres away.

Again, I love aircraft... I just don't think they should be in the vanilla game. They'll definitely make it into the modded variants that are inevitably going to come to DayZ - demand will be too high for them not to be. DayZ's sub-version modders are a bit looser on game balance, and so you know what you're going for if you pick up a mod with aircraft. If it's in the original game, though... they're going to have to do something about the ease with which you can find bases. There's no point trying to hide them otherwise.

And before anyone says it, rarity of aircraft isn't going to change a thing - it'll just mean one or two groups have all the air vehicles stashed away somewhere you can't find without one, and nobody will see any outside their control after the first few days of server uptime. It happens on every single server.

In the event that flight is added, the danger element would be a good balancer, but not enough of one, I think. There would need to be other factors, and that alone makes having the vehicles in the game at all nearly not worth it... after all, shouldn't all vehicles have a possibility of engine failure, due to rust/other maintenance issues that cannot be easily solved without the appropriate equipment?

Edited by Wolfguarde
  • Like 2

The issue I'm sitting on here is the ease of base discovery an elevated line of sight provides. You'll have flown in the mod - you know just how easy it is to see tents, vehicles, or in the appropriate mods, houses, once you're in the air. Nothing is hidden. Everything becomes obvious once you're overhead, and I don't think there's any kind of camouflage feature that could properly disguise a base or stash when you opposition can see from the sky - and most of the terrain around said stash or base is regular enough to make an inconsistently glaringly obvious, especially with the terrain textures not loading up unless you're less than thirty metres away.

Again, I love aircraft... I just don't think they should be in the vanilla game. They'll definitely make it into the modded variants that are inevitably going to come to DayZ - demand will be too high for them not to be. DayZ's sub-version modders are a bit looser on game balance, and so you know what you're going for if you pick up a mod with aircraft. If it's in the original game, though... they're going to have to do something about the ease with which you can find bases. There's no point trying to hide them otherwise.

And before anyone says it, rarity of aircraft isn't going to change a thing - it'll just mean one or two groups have all the air vehicles stashed away somewhere you can't find without one, and nobody will see any outside their control after the first few days of server uptime. It happens on every single server.

In the event that flight is added, the danger element would be a good balancer, but not enough of one, I think. There would need to be other factors, and that alone makes having the vehicles in the game at all nearly not worth it... after all, shouldn't all vehicles have a possibility of engine failure, due to rust/other maintenance issues that cannot be easily solved without the appropriate equipment?

This! Keep out the copters.

Bicycles. (Silent and green (once you spraypaint them))

Anything with more than 2 wheels i would like to design myself;

You take an existing chassis, mount a drivetrain that can handle the engine you have in mind, add wheels and then the fun can begin:

Collect metal, a welder and a generator and design your own mobile fortress.

Alternatively, if the above is to much work for you, you leave all but the superstructure intact and only redesign that.

Alternatively, if the above is to much work for you, you leave the vehicle as is.

That some good logic man, though like you said there is no way to camo bases so if they made it possible that could help. Or it could be something like if the terrain does not load then player placed buildings do not render ether, don't know if this would work/possible.

Last I would like to say is that rocket said he wants helicopters and light planes in game, now who knows if he will change his mind or not but it seems he is showing interest in them in game.

Hmm, fair point... if he's said as much publicly, I'm guessing he's set on implementing them.

The building render solution would work if there was a way to separate land vehicle/on-foot rendering from chopper rendering... Going up and down mountains and such would interfere with x/y layer rendering if you were to make buildings not render if the player position is above a certain level, and it would be too easy for hack users to bypass without generating evidence, I think. Having the game check the render state if there were three different states (land/air/on-foot) would likely create server lag, as the check would have to happen for every tick that the player is moving and generating terrain - meaning the server or client, whichever handles the terrain load, is doing three times the work it currently does. I could be wrong on this, but from what little I know of coding, that seems to me like the most glaring issue with a render-based solution.

If camouflage included dirt/leave/root mounds and the like, stuff that actually blends with the terrain, rather than the usual military blanket/canvas textures, it might work... it really depends on how they plan to implement bases. Playing Origins, I always found the single biggest issue with trying to hide anything was that the inconvenience factor of combing an area is rendered nearly nonexistent once you have an air vehicle, and a large part of that is because all the vehicle and base textures are too different to the colours of the terrain to be possible to conceal.

• Like 1

vehicles will be useless.

easy to find and steal them, easy to spot driving players...

and the map feels so small... you can run everywhere.

No helicopters, no planes. YES BOATS YES LADAS

I would thoroughly enjoy scuba diving from arma 3, however that seems unlikely to ever happen

Yeah wolf and I'm sure you have more experience with coding then I do. Was just brain storming ideas and when it comes down to it in my opinion I just want aircraft. I have faith that the devs with find a way to work it out and have it balanced.

I would REALLY like to see any of the customizable scrap vehicles that were made for Origins. I think it adds to the salvage and repair feel of the game.

I'd love to see zeppelins and hot-air balloons when it comes to 'flying' vehicles.

Extinguisher powered shopping carts.

( also the bus, the pickup, the rover...)

And a mule with a banjo as a bonus loot item.

i think they should stick solely with civilian cars/trucks.
but add some extremely rare military transport vehicles.

I just hope they are slow rubbish heavy cars what used really poor parts and need to be repaired a lot, communist aren't known for making good cars apart from their big military vehicles.

Tractors have to come back with some changes.

Way better defences (it was crap in the mod) + allowing people to sit on the wheel armor while using their guns.

Lets make tractors the civilian versions of tanks like they actually are.

The Land Rover wasn't the only AWD off-road SUV of its type built! I suggest the Toyota Land Cruiser, one of the most reliable and produced off-roaders in history.

Either the original FJ40 manufactured from 1960 - 1984:

TBJ40.JPG

1978_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_FJ40_Survivor_F

or one of its successors, the FJ60 manufactured from 1980 - 1992

800px-Toyota_Land_Cruiser_--_09-15-2011.

hj61-1.jpg

or both.
Rugged and appropriate.

Also up for consideration:
1990s Nissan Patrol
(Warning, these photos are big.)

1995-1997_Nissan_Patrol_%28GQ_II%29_RX_w

1995-1997_Nissan_Patrol_%28GQ_II%29_RX_w

Again, good SUV type of vehicle that is a direct competitor to the Land Rover.
I would nominate the Jeep Cherokee XJ from 1987 - 2001 as it is renowned for its reliability and its simple AMC engine as well as pretty much all the features of the above vehicles but the odds of finding that in a former bloc country seems notably slim.

Edited by Yrkidding

A horse! which you need to find, capture and feed.

...and house, and treat when sick, and in general put a lot more effort into than you would want to invest in a survival game. I like the idea of being able to find horses, but with the level of realism in the game it wouldn't be viable, I think. Consider this: When you log out for the night, if someone else is near your base, all they have to do to kill your horse if it's impossible to shoot is stay nearby and wait for it to starve/dehydrate to death. They just keep the code running by staying in the area, and you log in to find your asset gone.

I'd love to see them in a modded variant of the standalone. It is a good idea, it's just not one I see making it into vanilla DayZ...