rocket

Servers with connection issues to central hive

you should be good to go

Indeed, we should  ;) but...

sorry guys, but can someone explain me if the servers are fixed to the central database? I've read some posts but i can't find any answer about it. 

I'm playing on a server since 2 days and i'm afraid to go into another one (not hopping, just to go with my friends or search for night/day server) because the reset character possibility, and if I loose my character and go back to "main" server  maybe it can't reconnect and got a new character on the coast due to overwritting save file.

Sry for my bad english tho

The Central Server is called The Hive and will consist of all kinds of gubbins including (but not limited to) monitoring and statistics the developers use, a shed load of load balancing code to deal with the epic number of communications per second it has to process, and the Databases for all the survivors (positions, inventory, health etc.).

The recent hiccup was caused (as I understand it) by some game servers not communicating with The Hive correctly, so although they ran and could be used to connect to and play on, nothing we did was recorded by The Hive.

Here's where it gets kinda weird:

Obviously the communication issue developed whilst some of us were actually playing, as when we started playing that session we had our characters as we thought they should have been, but by the time we stopped, the server we were on was not communicating correctly with The Hive, and so our most recent session wasn't saved.

Then we might have logged into a server that wasn't able to talk to The Hive at all, and so we were given a fresh spawn as no character data was provided although still saved up until the point that we started our last unsuccessfully saved session.

However, when we left that server, it was more than likely still unable to talk to The Hive, so that session didn't overwrite our stored character data in The Hive.

Supposedly now the issue is fixed pretty much across the board, so the character we should always get will be configured from the data stored on The Hive databases, and unless there's another hiccup (or purposeful database wipes etc.), should continue to be (until we die and the character is wiped, so we get a fresh spawn).

As far as i understand it alot of servers have been or are being fixed.

If you load into one that is not fixed you will spawn fresh, but you can disconnect and find one where you spawn with your normal character and all is good.

correct me if i am wrong, because i havent played myself.

It's the possibility of backups and the slightly odd nature of the hiccup timing that suggests to me room for possible edge cases.

Follow this (my) timeline if you will:

1) Yadda blah normal

2) Log out for sleep

3) Log in to play, see fresh spawn and panic  ;)

4) Log out and Google frantically

5) Rest for a couple of days whilst the dev team work to fix everything (awesome!)

6) Log in to find my character as he was before playing my last successful session  :huh:

So, the game server I joined @ #1 communicated with The Hive, which sent the character data, and I began my session, but when I logged out, that same game server failed to communicate correctly with The Hive and so ALL ​(surely The Hive is supposed to be updated during a session, not just at the end?) the ​session changes were lost.

This (obvious (logic)) state of affairs allows for some pretty unexpected behavior possibilities I reckon  :P

Some game servers were seemingly disconnected from The Hive during their runtime (servers are restarted periodically), so lord (Dean) only knows what some player's character's data stored on The Hive might be!?

Theoretically it could even be from half way through a session from many sessions ago  :huh: That's why I was asking about the possibility of oddness.

I also wondered if the opposite may have occurred for others (not me so far at least); could a game server not communicating with The Hive correctly when a player logged on and is given a fresh spawn then suddenly start communicating with The Hive again, and thus overwrite the true character data?

Alpha is fun  :D

So basically ... yes ... erm ...

There is a Central Server, but there are a large number of possible ways the recent hiccup might cause players to see various states of character data, until The Hive and all game servers are communicating properly again.

EDIT: It is possible that overwrites can't happen. Perhaps someone can confirm that any set of character data is persistent until the character dies, at which point the data set is deleted? Interesting to wonder in that case what would happen to the data created by a new session with a fresh spawn...

My head hurts.

Another EDIT:

Even though this video claims to show admin controls for the Arma 2 Mod (I've not been an admin or played the mod) and is thus not necessarily the same for the SA, it might indicate another variable in the mix.

The game server the guy is administrating shows logged off players and their inventories. This leads me to wonder if when a player logs back into the game server they were last playing on, whether the game server doesn't ask The Hive for character data, since it already has it (so it thinks).

This would add a new level of weirdness to the issues currently being flushed out of the system i.e. the possibility for multiple chars at the same time on any game servers that weren't communicating with The Hive properly, even though the true character data remains intact on The Hive for collection by any game server that is communicating with The Hive properly. We could thus see new spawns, old characters, seemingly reset characters and apparently multiple characters at the same time  :huh:  ;)

All good fun!

Edited by Fred Gandt

Seems like there are still some issues.

Lost a character started AFTER issues were resolved, last night when I logged on.

Im wondering if anyone else is having trouble staying on server without them crashing/disconnecting you. Tried to play on the weekend and and longest time I could stay on the server was around 1 hour, disconnecting so often that it got annoying. I think the server crashes or disconnects everyone, as my brother got disconnected at the same time.
Goes from yellow link to red and no response for me server soon after that.

This happened every hardcore server I tried.

Edited by Zeppa

Whenever I get disconnected, I log in sometimes to find I've lost my shoes, Press Vest, hat, Etc. Out in the middle of nowhere. Is this a known bug?.

Im wondering if anyone else is having trouble staying on server without them crashing/disconnecting you. Tried to play on the weekend and and longest time I could stay on the server was around 1 hour, disconnecting so often that it got annoying. I think the server crashes or disconnects everyone, as my brother got disconnected at the same time.

Goes from yellow link to red and no response for me server soon after that.

This happened every hardcore server I tried.

this might be server admins resetting maliciously. might.

exepct the move to an earlier char build, i never got any problems with losing a char due to server issues since the patch last week.

Hmm maybe im Lucky by pickin my servers.

Ohohohoooo ... once I lost character four/five hours ago, I gave up, started up again now, and it's baaack! :)

It could be some interim issue, seems whatever was out of sync is in sync again, at least for me.

Servers are still jacked up for me.  I only search for hardcore servers under 100 ping.  I will usually get about 30-40? hits usually.  Of all these there are only about 10 or so that might have people playing on them.  I have found ONE hardcore server that saves my character and its a Gameserver server which I see many people claim doesn't save, lol.  Cant believe its been this long and all this shit is still jacked up...

Edited by Dorner

For me also, i have actually two Chars right now.

One on the Vilayer-Servers (inland) and One on the rest (at coast). [edit]: i only play on Hardcore, so that want be the reason.

But most of the Rest wont work for me, actually i cannot even connect on the most of the servers.

Edited by Ozar

this might be server admins resetting maliciously. might.

Dont think so... so many server, all almost full 30-40 people in them so I dont think admins would restart them every 30-60 minutes...

holy shit ,3 of my friends just lost their characters because of this.(from the whipe because of the connection issue of the server) .And i was just smart enough to choose another server and have not my character whiped :D . Anyway are all daytime servers ok with these connection issues? And is this the full list on this thread of the server with the connection issues?

When I logged in I was reset back 1 week to a prevoius date, so for some reason the hive is retaining character info of long dead characters, I have since been killed my an asshat on a PVE server so it dont matter now, but still that is what happend to me.

Ello Rocket my roomie and I use the same computer and have separate steam accounts yet when I log onto mine it shows his character and name and vise versa any enlightenment on this?

Once you log into a seperate account on the same computer, it will show his/your character to begin with in the alpha screen.  All you do is log in to a server that is connecting properly to the public hive, then you should see your character load in...  At the moment you will have to change your name each time either one of you log in, if you want a different alias. 

Edited by Lidskjalf

can we have a day and night filter for servers ?

YES PLEASE!!

When I logged in I was reset back 1 week to a prevoius date, so for some reason the hive is retaining character info of long dead characters, I have since been killed my an asshat on a PVE server so it dont matter now, but still that is what happend to me.

Yes, many people including myself had characters loaded from a while back...

As far as i understand it alot of servers have been or are being fixed.

If you load into one that is not fixed you will spawn fresh, but you can disconnect and find one where you spawn with your normal character and all is good.

correct me if i am wrong, because i havent played myself.

This is in fact correct, it was actually worse before the patch for character wipes.

it is not correct.If you have your character whiped you will never get your previous back.My friends couldn't get their previous characters back

it is not correct.If you have your character whiped you will never get your previous back.My friends couldn't get their previous characters back

You have misinterpreted what I have said.  Read the previous post & then acknowledge mine.

:beans:

Haha, let's play real life 2.0 :D

Graphics are awesome! Multiplayer up the wazoo and interaction out of this world! Just a note of caution though for you PvP types, don't run straight to the nearest Military base and try and scavenge a gun. They're already swarming with KoS types!

• Like 1

can we have a day and night filter for servers ?

I thought part of the realism and frantic times was night time! I hate when servers drop night time, because a few scared cats cant get over a little darkness or find it harder to KIll On SIght!!. MAN up , that is what torches and batteries are for ;)

• Like 1

Can we get a hardware requirement for a server?

So much garbage servers.