Liquid Man

Why some people even do play DayZ ?

Well, if you are tired after 6 hours of work and you want to relax by shooting random people, then as I said before. Try some shooters, there is a lot of them. What's the point of playing DayZ and shooting everyone you see ? It's the Role Playing which makes this game worth a while.

Tell me, why do you play DayZ, if not for the people ? If you would want just to shoot random targets and you like the military simulator style, then you would stay with orginal arma or you just would have been playing arma 3 insted of DayZ.

You play DayZ because you like the climat of apocalypse, zombies, real people playing insted of bots. Why ? Because there is always a chance for something you don't expect. Because you can interact with a person to play some cool action which you wouldn't have played in normal shooter game.

If someone is interested only in shooting random people for no reson, then shooter like Battlefield or Call of Duty is the solution in my opinion :) And if you are tired, you simply play something more relaxing ^^

I was kind of on your side until you started telling people they should stop playing simply because they're playing in a way you don't like that is supported by the design.

The fact that there are people in the game who are indiscriminate killers makes every encounter incredibly tense because you don't know how to trust. It makes the game insanely tense.

The type of game you're looking for, where cooperation and constantly positive interactions with others, is not DayZ. You CAN have positive interactions, but this is a game about survival and the ability to lose it all at the drop of a hat.

If you are upset that people are playing the game in a design-supported fashion (not cheating, exploiting, glitching) then I think you need to either start understanding the game better, play with friends, or find a new game.

Role play will develop in time, but like others have said, zombies are broken and there is very little to do in this game right now outside of exploring, hunting for food and making sure no one kills you.

Hi.

It's not all KOS. I just read this short review on steam:

"Got shot for 3 cans of beans, survived, only later to be handcuffed by the same 3 men that shot my knee.

As I lay there on the ground pondering as to whether I would survive the encounter with the bandits in Cherno, my trousers were stripped from my almost dead body, this was suddenly followed by an influx of rotten fruit being rammed down my throat and disinfectant to wash it all down with.

Seconds later my captors were shot by a hero, the hero came up to me looked me in the eyes as I gazed into his, he un-handcuffed me, I felt as if he was going to hug me.
But then faster than a whip crack he blew my head off and stole me ♥♥♥♥in' beans."

LoL.

Regards.

• Like 2

I was kind of on your side until you started telling people they should stop playing simply because they're playing in a way you don't like that is supported by the design.

The fact that there are people in the game who are indiscriminate killers makes every encounter incredibly tense because you don't know how to trust. It makes the game insanely tense.

The type of game you're looking for, where cooperation and constantly positive interactions with others, is not DayZ. You CAN have positive interactions, but this is a game about survival and the ability to lose it all at the drop of a hat.

If you are upset that people are playing the game in a design-supported fashion (not cheating, exploiting, glitching) then I think you need to either start understanding the game better, play with friends, or find a new game.

Role play will develop in time, but like others have said, zombies are broken and there is very little to do in this game right now outside of exploring, hunting for food and making sure no one kills you.

I have never been saying how people should play. The replay you just quoted was to a guy who said, that he wants to have some intense shooting experience in DayZ after 6 hours of work. Because of his ''hard work'' everyone should not even appear as He is going to shoot everyone on his sight because he is simply too tired to do anything else.

I can understand, if someone is tired and I know this type of people who comes back from work, then join teamspeak, tells everyone how hard day he had today, while playing some game. I do not really like this kind of people and I keep away from them, however my arguments are justified.

It's just misunderstanding as I proposed him to better play some shooters, which should satisfy him more than DayZ where everyone who is playing this game, should put a little bit more of themselves than just being a killing machine and saying ''I have to defend myself'' as someone before me already wrote.

Edited by Liquid Man
  • Like 1

I won't get into how annoying your complaint is in the grounds of Role Playing since the whole idea of this game is the primal nature of being a human in a world without order, and you are essentially saying that other's ideas of RP aren't similar to yours so they are wasting everyone's time.  Ok, so I kinda got into it, but still.

This argument is pointless for a game that is not yet released.  Since the only people that complain about the "Alpha Argument" are the people that are mad at it's logic, I'll throw it at you:  It's an Alpha.  Quit roleplaying.  Zombies walk through walls.  Why wouldn't you complain about that?  Or the fact that I can only ever see 15% of as mosin since the rest is buried in a wall or floor? And did you know you get 2 axes in this game, and you can't even chop down a fucking tree?  That ruins my roleplaying also. 

Ok, ok, ok.  I've taken my deep breaths, my green skin is returning to normal from my Alpha rage, so I will continue.  Currently this game has little to offer in terms of actual meat and potatoes.  The visuals are spectacular, the core components are there, and relatively easy to pick up (I first learned about, bought, downloaded, and began playing DayZ SA all within a 3 hour time period) and I can say I love it.  When completed, this will be a masterpiece, showing what original ideas can do in the face of EA games, and the ilk.  But for now, even on a high pop server, you can get a little of everything you need in a short night's play.  The end game has no definition, so for now, people like their end game to be to get guns, get shot at, shoot back, and start over.

You know it's alpha, as you said it yourself in the op. In order for the game to get where you, and everyone else wants it to be, quit playing this game.  Instead, log on with the idea that you want to help this game.  Yesterday I tried vaulting through a wall and I did.  I made a bug report.  When I jumped off a tall building I tried going prone before I hit the ground.  Instead of dying I went prone.  I did this 5 more times for fun and made a bug report.  Never did I run around, imagine I was breathing the cool crisp air of Chernarus, and then complain when a bullet went spiraling into my brain (See? I have them).  I've done the last thing since I go through the 7 stages of grief everytime I die.   But honestly, It's like buying the first airplane invented by the Wright brothers WHILE they are inventing it, and complaining that it's inability to fly is the fault of the casual observers.

• Like 3

if you remove all the crazy bandits from the game I would stop playing as there would be no tension anymore. can you imagine that 95% of players would be nice to each other? hugs and kisses? come on. right now with all these psychos out there when I walk away from an encounter I feel GREAT! I cheated death once more, ha ha ha

• Like 1

I won't get into how annoying your complaint is in the grounds of Role Playing since the whole idea of this game is the primal nature of being a human in a world without order, and you are essentially saying that other's ideas of RP aren't similar to yours so they are wasting everyone's time.  Ok, so I kinda got into it, but still.

This argument is pointless for a game that is not yet released.  Since the only people that complain about the "Alpha Argument" are the people that are mad at it's logic, I'll throw it at you:  It's an Alpha.  Quit roleplaying.  Zombies walk through walls.  Why wouldn't you complain about that?  Or the fact that I can only ever see 15% of as mosin since the rest is buried in a wall or floor? And did you know you get 2 axes in this game, and you can't even chop down a fucking tree?  That ruins my roleplaying also. 

Ok, ok, ok.  I've taken my deep breaths, my green skin is returning to normal from my Alpha rage, so I will continue.  Currently this game has little to offer in terms of actual meat and potatoes.  The visuals are spectacular, the core components are there, and relatively easy to pick up (I first learned about, bought, downloaded, and began playing DayZ SA all within a 3 hour time period) and I can say I love it.  When completed, this will be a masterpiece, showing what original ideas can do in the face of EA games, and the ilk.  But for now, even on a high pop server, you can get a little of everything you need in a short night's play.  The end game has no definition, so for now, people like their end game to be to get guns, get shot at, shoot back, and start over.

You know it's alpha, as you said it yourself in the op. In order for the game to get where you, and everyone else wants it to be, quit playing this game.  Instead, log on with the idea that you want to help this game.  Yesterday I tried vaulting through a wall and I did.  I made a bug report.  When I jumped off a tall building I tried going prone before I hit the ground.  Instead of dying I went prone.  I did this 5 more times for fun and made a bug report.  Never did I run around, imagine I was breathing the cool crisp air of Chernarus, and then complain when a bullet went spiraling into my brain (See? I have them).  I've done the last thing since I go through the 7 stages of grief everytime I die.   But honestly, It's like buying the first airplane invented by the Wright brothers WHILE they are inventing it, and complaining that it's inability to fly is the fault of the casual observers.

It's not a complain. What for are the forums ? If my thread annoys you, then why do you even bother ? I wanted to have a short talk with other people playing this game and see their opinions about the level of role playing people put into this game. Posts like yours really annoys me because I spent some time to write everything I wanted in the proper order, then you come here and write to me that I cry about getting killed.

If you do so, then you don't have any idea of what I wrote in this thread from the very beginning. It's not the fact of getting killed and losing my gear which annoys me. It's THE WAY people do it, whcih gives me a headache. I don't really care about the damn items which I can get in 40 minutes of playing. If most of the people as you say, want to play their own way then that's fantastic! But their way of playing and what they do in this game is just over the top.

It's not one or two guys who just randomly shoot to everyone or some idiots running with axes and killing newbies or even other people begging to kill them because they want to respawn nearby big cities. Most of the people don't play ''different'' as they play exactly the same. What I wanted is to give some fresh breath at DayZ and put into this game some action insted of one shooting each other. That's why I wrote about role playing and you don't have to explain me what is alpha as most of the games nowadays are in alpha. Selling unfinished products is just something normal these days and I got it, alright ?

It's good if there are bandits and you never know what you can expect from a stranger. Being careful is absolutely fine in this kind of game but being careful, doesn't mean to just become a bandit like everyone else and shoot everyone without a word, only on a purpose of ''I have to defend myself''.

If you don't understad my point, then I don't think so if there are words in humans language, which may help me to explain everything better.

Edited by Liquid Man
  • Like 1

I personally think, that most of the people just shoot as they are not able to think of something else. They don't even try to role play some, they don't even try and that's the main problem.

They shoot because it is the easy way out

They shoot because they have an ingrained gear fetish

They shoot because they are unable to deal with loss

Some even shoot because your misery gives them the most pleasure

You will only beat them by being smarter than them. That in itself is a great RP opportunity

if you remove all the crazy bandits from the game I would stop playing as there would be no tension anymore. can you imagine that 95% of players would be nice to each other? hugs and kisses? come on. right now with all these psychos out there when I walk away from an encounter I feel GREAT! I cheated death once more, ha ha ha

No one said about removing 95% of the bandits, read my replay to ''MuddyRaccoon'' just right above. Hopefully you will understand my point of view.

Edited by Liquid Man

I bought the game to hide in the woods and shoot people.

Like you said, it's your story. You wanna talk to people and have adventures, great, I'm happy for you. I'm not being sarcastic either, have fun with it. Meanwhile I'mma sit in Vybor with 36 rounds of steel-core 7.62.

damn, not Vybor. I choosed it as my favourite place to be with many good looting-areas around

I have never been saying how people should play. The replay you just quoted was to a guy who said, that he wants to have some intense shooting experience in DayZ after 6 hours of work. Because of his ''hard work'' everyone should not even appear as He is going to shoot everyone on his sight because he is simply too tired to do anything else.

I can understand, if someone is tired and I know this type of people who comes back from work, then join teamspeak, tells everyone how hard day he had today, while playing some game. I do not really like this kind of people and I keep away from them, however my arguments are justified.

It's just misunderstanding as I proposed him to better play some shooters, which should satisfy him more than DayZ where everyone who is playing this game, should put a little bit more of themselves than just being a killing machine and saying ''I have to defend myself'' as someone before me already wrote.

The difference is that in DayZ you actually stand to lose and gain things. I don't know why you would want to play this as a shooter after a stressful and long day at work, but he does and the game supports that and we really don't have a right to say he's wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from, but people who are telling you "it's just an Alpha" actually do have a point this time. Working together right now is pointless except to gain protection from other players. Zombies are no threat. So if we lose a lot of KoS'ers and greedy bandits / asshole trolls, all the tension in this game will be gone.

I get, from an RP perspective, why it might break immersion to have to form alliances out of game before meeting up in game, but think about this games' setting. If you just walk up and wave, you might get shot over that can of beans and your ammo.., it would happen. You have to RP in this like you would in a society that has collapsed like you would in real life (if you wanted to survive)... approach cautiously and only when you gave the upper hand.

For a better understanding of how people would probably interact in this setting, read or watch "The Road". Great book and good movie. Or play "The Last of Us" on the PS3. It's stupid hard to make friends in this setting because everyone is fighting over very limited resources.

Once they add in zombies that are a threat and add in resource management, settlement/base building and a way to actually make a self sufficient community through hunting and planting crops, you'll really see the RP start to take off.

Right now you should play the game to explore, test and report bugs, exploits and hackers and add feedback to Rocket to help polish the experience for when the game is ready to launch.

Edited by Demoth
  • Like 2

Yes. It is your story and do you think it is fun to sit in the bushes and shoot to everyone ? It just shows how poor you can find yourself in this game. You have no idea about Role Playing and this game is made for this purpose. If you want to shoot people in the bushes, play Battlefield or some kind of other shooters. Because what you do is just stupid without any work put into it. For random shooting people, I wish you would have to re-buy this game for double price.

Read McCarthy's 'The Road' - and then decide for yourself if people are roleplaying the apocalypse in a realistic manner.

I'm saying this not out of malice or a desire to belittle, but because the theme is largely what the mod/game designer based the concept on. Expecting people to do anything but try to kill you the majority of the time when they have the means to do so is unrealistic at best. Even if they do not intend it, they are roleplaying the scenario that has been presented for them.

That being said, you - and everyone else - need to understand both sides of what I am about to say: Roleplay is stigmatised in this day and age. A lot of the vital essence of that field is lost because so many people ridicule and belittle those who do it. The result is that the majority of the people you meet are in it for the competition, rather than the story - in this and anything else. And sadly, this means you're not going to find many people with a genuine appreciation for the potential the game offers. A lot of people like this game because it offers a different shooter experience, rather than a different roleplay experience - I am one of them, though I have nothing against those who enjoy playing in character. This is the answer to your title question.

You will not find as much support among the ravening masses as you might hope for, even though I suspect the point you're trying to make is in line with the intentions of the people developing the game. The best you can hope for is to set up a place/forum for like-minded players to meet or use as a reference point, then coordinate to a particular server and make yourself its majority. In doing so, you'll mitigate whatever impact other groups might have on your experience, and ensure that most of your encounters will be interesting rather than bland.

• Like 1

'hurr durr stop playing how i dont want you to play!!!!11!!ONE!11'

Fuck off. For all you people moaning about KOSers and 'Bandits' being the ruin of the game, I've gotta tell you, they really aren't. You know who is killing this game? You. Stop trying to force your playstyle onto others. You people truly are the cancer that is killing this game.

/rant 

At my Mod times i always play some kind of rpg style, and the dayz mod rpg servers are a very good alternative for you i think. I would love to see some standalone rpg server but not at this stage. And the question is why is our society sao fu***d up. This will be a game go out with some friends and you can have the best rpg ever :)

• Like 1

The difference is that in DayZ you actually stand to lose and gain things. I don't know why you would want to play this as a shooter after a stressful and long day at work, but he does and the game supports that and we really don't have a right to say he's wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from, but people who are telling you "it's just an Alpha" actually do have a point this time. Working together right now is pointless except to gain protection from other players. Zombies are no threat. So if we lose a lot of KoS'ers and greedy bandits / asshole trolls, all the tension in this game will be gone.

I get, from an RP perspective, why it might break immersion to have to form alliances out of game before meeting up in game, but think about this games' setting. If you just walk up and wave, you might get shot over that can of beans and your ammo.., it would happen. You have to RP in this like you would in a society that has collapsed like you would in real life (if you wanted to survive)... approach cautiously and only when you gave the upper hand.

For a better understanding of how people would probably interact in this setting, read or watch "The Road". Great book and good movie. Or play "The Last of Us" on the PS3. It's stupid hard to make friends in this setting because everyone is fighting over very limited resources.

Once they add in zombies that are a threat and add in resource management, settlement/base building and a way to actually make a self sufficient community through hunting and planting crops, you'll really see the RP start to take off.

Right now you should play the game to explore, test and report bugs, exploits and hackers and add feedback to Rocket to help polish the experience for when the game is ready to launch.

Makes sense. I will even watch this movie today. Thanks for your ideas and great post :)

Well, I think that it can be most likely to see more people Role Playing when this game will be more polished. For now, I think I will take the role of a hunter of other hunters/bandits and rescue others if possible :) Also, exploring the map to have better understanding of the most populated areas and military bases.

I really appreciated, that you explained everything insted of flaming and you even understand my concept of the whole thread.

I hope that some day you really need to play this game differently than "just another shooter". It just isn't realistic that people would kill each other when they're outnumbered 1:1000 against the infected. I understand that people don't roleplay much yet but I believe that the game changes enough in beta. I respect much people who already do some role playing because that way you get much more out of the game. It's a shame that majority of people don't do that.

• Like 1

Read McCarthy's 'The Road' - and then decide for yourself if people are roleplaying the apocalypse in a realistic manner.

I'm saying this not out of malice or a desire to belittle, but because the theme is largely what the mod/game designer based the concept on. Expecting people to do anything but try to kill you the majority of the time when they have the means to do so is unrealistic at best. Even if they do not intend it, they are roleplaying the scenario that has been presented for them.

That being said, you - and everyone else - need to understand both sides of what I am about to say: Roleplay is stigmatised in this day and age. A lot of the vital essence of that field is lost because so many people ridicule and belittle those who do it. The result is that the majority of the people you meet are in it for the competition, rather than the story - in this and anything else. And sadly, this means you're not going to find many people with a genuine appreciation for the potential the game offers. A lot of people like this game because it offers a different shooter experience, rather than a different roleplay experience - I am one of them, though I have nothing against those who enjoy playing in character. This is the answer to your title question.

You will not find as much support among the ravening masses as you might hope for, even though I suspect the point you're trying to make is in line with the intentions of the people developing the game. The best you can hope for is to set up a place/forum for like-minded players to meet or use as a reference point, then coordinate to a particular server and make yourself its majority. In doing so, you'll mitigate whatever impact other groups might have on your experience, and ensure that most of your encounters will be interesting rather than bland.

I agree with alot of the points you make just one thing though you and the other gentleman using the road as example as how it would be in real life how does a work of fiction in any way relate to real life?? It is fiction the author built his story to build tension to draw you into his world post apoc.

Good movie never read the book but um stop using fiction as a valid real life point please.

PS i dont KOS but have no problem with people who KOS they add tension for sure and the game needs a little without zeds or real difficulty surviving

• Like 1

I hope that some day you really need to play this game differently than "just another shooter". It just isn't realistic that people would kill each other when they're outnumbered 1:1000 against the infected. I understand that people don't roleplay much yet but I believe that the game changes enough in beta. I respect much people who already do some role playing because that way you get much more out of the game. It's a shame that majority of people don't do that.

I have nothing more to add. You are another rare person who understands my way of thinking and that's just great :)

I agree with alot of the points you make just one thing though you and the other gentleman using the road as example as how it would be in real life how does a work of fiction in any way relate to real life?? It is fiction the author built his story to build tension to draw you into his world post apoc.

Good movie never read the book but um stop using fiction as a valid real life point please.

PS i dont KOS but have no problem with people who KOS they add tension for sure and the game needs a little without zeds or real difficulty surviving

Agreed. It is still a fantasy movie made on guesses of people who makes this movie. A real zombie apocalypse never had its place and people can only think of how they would act but the reality could be absolutely different. You are 200% right :)

• Like 1

I just skipped the last pages to tell you: This is not exactly a RPG. So maybe this is the reason, why a lot of people aren't roleplaying. DayZ is about doing whatever you want to do. And some just don't want to roleplay.

Agreed. It is still a fantasy movie made on guesses of people who makes this movie. A real zombie apocalypse never had its place and people can only think of how they would act but the reality could be absolutely different. You are 200% right :)

Its not even a zombie movie its completely different. I cant say how people would react in a zed apoc havent been in one hope to never be in one. But i look at the history of mankind we are certainly capable of some evil shite.

But strangely our need for each other is what built civilisation destroy civilisation does that mean in a matter of days we would kill any and every human moving when there is 99 x more of this new threat aka the zeds ( yeah they dont seem a big threat as they stand lol but thats the story we are the 1% immune to this infection.

If people were really in such wide scale willing to kill ( yes i know people have riots and kill all the time we are capable of evil i agree) I doubt mankind would have risen to be the dominate animal on the planet (we are animals lol )Ya know back when the fight for survival against other animals nature and the quest for food water was real .. So i do not believe its a realistic portrayal of the apoc but thats just me and again play the game you wish play it in a way you feel you get the most from it but i think if once in a while you hit the speak butteon instead of the fire button you might enjoy it more lol but thats just IMHO.....

• Like 1