Sign in to follow this  
crazyandlazy

10 minute is not enough to loot dead bodies you put down

Corpses need to stay, the jig is up guys

the 10 minute limit is there to keep the engine running smoothly

My prediction is that they won't even deliver the 100 or 150 people server and as time pasess on they will cancel more and more features with the same argument

I sure hope I'm wrong

The devs already said in a thread like this that the timer is so that you can't get your gear back

The devs already said in a thread like this that the timer is so that you can't get your gear back

I'm about 99% sure that's not true.

• Like 1

I'm about 99% sure that's not true.

A dev did say something like this. I saw the quote, but due to how fast the posts and threads go ... I can't pull it up right now. I forgot who it was, but it was a dev saying it on the forum or he was quoted on twitter.

It could be 5 minutes for all I care if they would make it possible to snag backpacks from bodies and take them to a safer place

Piles of bodies in the street is an indication of a KoS assbag in the area, helpful information for bambies and fully kitted players alike. The 10 minute body decomposition time white washes the atrocities I've seen on the streets of Kamy.

If the devs want to stop players from gearing up by looting their own bodies they can just make bullets/blood fully eliminate some items in inventory instead of just degrading those items.

Edited by Old_Crow_Whiskey

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1viuhu/psa_people_who_are_upset_about_bodies_despawning/

Hicks was just saying that running back to your body isn't a feature. This is an temporary optimization implemented because it is simple. I'm sure a better solution will be coded in.

I think adding a rule where every player can only have one corpse per server (maybe two, max) would cut down on the total amount of corpses really well, encourage people to be more careful rather than just sprinting to their body, and not effect PVP and (more importantly) the emergent atmosphere of player corpses so adversely. "Your story" should extend to where and how you died.

Edited by somethingbloody

Since this is just an experimental situation, I would assume that if ten minutes does turn out to be too short, they will change it.  I would like to see 20 minutes.  Still time to loot, but quick enough to keep things tidy.

Makes the game seem more like a death-simulator than a survival simulator.  I'm concerned that the devs seem to be making moves designed to make death more punishing, rather than balancing the game for enjoyment.  Looting your own corpse should be acceptable if unrealistic wonton violence is acceptable.  People trying to survive with full bellies and plenty of supplies wouldn't aimlessly kill people they encounter in an apocalypse. How realistic is for a guy with a rifle to hide in the woods next to Kamy looking to kill people who materialize from thin air on a beach.. in a survival game??

Where do you draw the line exactly?

I'm concerned that the devs seem to be making moves designed to make death more punishing, rather than balancing the game for enjoyment.

Not me. If DayZ is "about" anything, it's staying alive. Death is losing the game. It should be as punishing as possible without preventing continued play.

People trying to survive with full bellies and plenty of supplies wouldn't aimlessly kill people they encounter in an apocalypse.

That's okay. This isn't a real apocalypse. It's a game. Nobody on the team has ever said they're trying to make an "apocalypse simulator."

Where do you draw the line exactly?

Hopefully as far from the status quo as possible.

Dying should feel like the end of your life, not just "run a little bit" and "oh that was annoying but back to it!" That's how death feels in WoW and it's entirely artificial.

The time limit of 10mins is actually plenty of time to loot a body you put down, it's the issue of running back to YOUR dead body people are having issues with. When you die you shouldn't be able to take as long as you like to get back to your body and regear, that's just too easy most of the time. To make it easy to get back to your body and get all your gear back makes the idea of permadeath nul and void.

Do I think 10mins is too short to get back to your body? Depends on where you died but a max of 30mins is what I think. Right now the 10mins timer is a placeholder and people need to relax, in saying that I hope it doesn't increase to more than 30mins, 40mins maybe.

DayZ is not meant to be a game of convenience, people really need to get a grip on that and it's only going to get better or worse. Depending on how you look at it.  ;)

Terrible impact on game for marginal server performance gain.. If the server can't handle a hundred dead bodies how's it going to do anything else..

• Like 1

I agree is not long enough example for guys who sniping also if you attack 2 guys or squad by time firefight finish 1st bodies going away before fight is over  :huh:

if this is best way they finding for doing some optimize (and if we honest it don't optimize nothing) we having problems for sure  :|

• Like 1

10 minutes is more than enough, I'm in and out quick as possible....been killed too many times in the past being greey.

• Like 1

Terrible impact on game for marginal server performance gain.. If the server can't handle a hundred dead bodies how's it going to do anything else..

Ehhmmmm.....

Its an early aplha, not a game yet, have some patience young padawan :D

We will get the good stuff in time and i can assure you this is not the way it will be forever, but they do not want to increase it x hours, just to see the servers die now.

Wait for BI to get the core architecture of the game done, so it can actually support alot more then 10 mins, instead of moaning about "the terrible impact" is has on a game, thats not even a game yet :)

We cannot get more BIG features or upgrades, if the game architecture doesnt support it well, and we have been told that the core game isnt done yet, so calm your tits and wait abit :)

I don't know, seems like plenty of time for me. Then again, I'm not some barracks rat on the coast.

Im really torn between this one because as someone said ten minutes is good in the sense that it means sqauds cant set up perimeters and retrieve their gear meaning they never really lose anything but it is just far too short and to the people on here who are saying 'why would you stay around a body for ten minutes, thats more then enough time to loot' are you crazy what if he has a buddy watching the body, what if he has friends setting up an ambush how am i meant to use the bodies like a fly trap. Screw you ten minutes is not long enough at all.

I would say 20 minutes would probably be closer to the mark for me.

The time limit of 10mins is actually plenty of time to loot a body you put down, it's the issue of running back to YOUR dead body people are having issues with. When you die you shouldn't be able to take as long as you like to get back to your body and regear, that's just too easy most of the time. To make it easy to get back to your body and get all your gear back makes the idea of permadeath nul and void.

Do I think 10mins is too short to get back to your body? Depends on where you died but a max of 30mins is what I think. Right now the 10mins timer is a placeholder and people need to relax, in saying that I hope it doesn't increase to more than 30mins, 40mins maybe.

DayZ is not meant to be a game of convenience, people really need to get a grip on that and it's only going to get better or worse. Depending on how you look at it.  ;)

Nope sorry you are wrong. I take over ten minutes to loot a body. I geniunely do, i get scared and it takes me about 15 minutes just to convince myself that no one else is around plus i like to use the body as trap sometimes, This is taking away from my playstyle and im not happy about it.

• Like 1

2 reasons why bodies disappear after 10 min.

1st and most important reason is performance.

Cleaning up bodies more frequently helps the servers run smoother.

2nd, it's called permadeath! You are not supposed to get your shit back....period!

• Like 1

Rocket has said that the 10 minute body's is only a temporary idea antill a better solution could be implemented

What I would miss seeing (if this didnt turn out to be so temporary) are random dead bodies. I like stumbling on the aftermath of a firefight. Just makes you feel like something BIG went down there.