thedogfoodyayho

Base Building - What would you like to see?

A crafting system, more or less...

>A player can gather a reagent or reagents we'll just call scrap for now, from the plethora of scrap, garbage, and rubble piles, dead cars, abandoned construction sites, etc... Once they have 4x scrap, they can board up a window, 8x scrap for a door, 250x scrap to place an 8x10ft tar-paper shanty-type shelter, 350 for a little portable type shelter, 375 for a shipping container/conex/sea can/etc, 750+ for existing in-game building (house) models with multiple rooms and doors and windows and carpet and stuff...... A lockable door for taking over static structures will cost 125x scrap.
>A static structure must have ALL exterior doors replaced by lockable doors, AND all windows boarded, before it becomes player housing.
>Depending on the size of the building is the size of the projected "yard", so you can build a fence out to x-distance from the house... 3ft jumpable fencing is 4x scrap per 4ft wide panel. Unjumpable low fence is 10x scrap per panel. High wire type (chain link) is 16x scrap, high solid panel fencing is 20x scrap, concrete barrier fencing (like around the mil bases) is 60x scrap each. Gates are x2 scrap cost per fence type.
>Tearing down player-built structure will net 1/4x scrap cost, so be sure of where you want stuff before you place it...
>Tearing down in-game structure where possible will net 1/8x comparable scrap cost, to discourage but still allow players to rip up say a fence line across the street to bolster their own defenses if no other scrap sources are readily available/spawned...
>I was figuring scrap has to weigh something, or not stack or something, so one player can't carry too much of it... However, the reagent(s) will only have to be local in order to be consumed... After all, people don't stuff their pockets with 2x4's and plywood sheet before building houses in the real world... Makes enough sense, no? So you'll have to have 2 or 3 barrels of reagent(s) in the area before you can build stuff...
>Other craftables can be a well for your yard (x100 scrap), tool shed, weapon rack, wardrobe, bed, desk, kitchen chairs and table, some of the misc. statics around DayZ, for deco purposes.
>Trash cans can be placed for deleting items. Trash cans do NOT count against your lockdown count (see below)...

>If anyone here has played Ultima Online, the storage and security system could be very similar, as I think the two games have a bit in common:
--Your "house" can be locked by a key, so nobody can get in. NO, the lockpick cannot work on the front door of a house because videogame.
--Key takes up inventory space, and if you are killed, player killer can take your house key, enter your house, and steal all your stuff.
--Can hide Key around the outside of the house, and can give the lock-down command to containers on your front step area, allowing you to secure your key...
--Containers can be "locked down" so they become static interactable objects inside the base, can only lock down x-amount of containers per square foot. Can be locked so only the owner has access, other access permissions can be granted by owner to others, ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO LOCKPICKING AND THIEVERY... So you can have a member of your own clan unlocking and stealing shit from the clan vaults if you're not vigilant...
--Items can be locked down for deco purposes, does count against your house's total secured lock-downs, items cannot be used until unlocked.
--Locked items as described above will not be wiped by server cleanup/loot engine/what have you. Items not locked down will, regardless of whether or not it's in your house... So be sure to lock that barrel full of AK ammo down or the server's gonna wipe the entire barrel... Anything thrown on the floor and not locked down will be wiped during server cleanup...
--A structure that is not visited by the owner inside of a month becomes in "greatly worn" status, and in six months it becomes "in danger of collapse"... After six months has allotted, the structure collapses (disappears into the ether, as if it were never placed), and all the lockdowns inside fall to the ground, free to be picked up by anyone. All locked crates become unlocked, all decoration becomes fair game, and the only thing you gotta worry about is everyone else on the server fighting for that IDOC's loot.......
--Structures owned by other players can be entered into a guild/clan/militia's collective real estate system, and become part of that guild/clan/militia's base. When this happens, the projected "yard" joins the neighboring property(ies) under the guild/clan/militia's influence, allowing a collective of properties to function as one, depending on permissions. Original owner still retains owner status, but the structure can now be granted new access permissions based on the guild roster. Original owner can indeed choose to leave the clan, taking their originally-defined property and anything on it with them.
--You CAN be killed in your own home from outside, should a bullet or grenade come through an unboarded window...
--Boarded windows are not entirely bulletproof, nor are walls themselves. The 7.62-eating weapons will still do damage through them...
--If you're killed, your newly-spawned character still has 100% ownership on the house, and if you can get back to your key you can get back in your house...
--You can use the f-button functions on your front door to re-key your house if your key has been stolen (cooldown: 2wks, cost 6 scrap), and also to cut a new key (cooldown 1wk, cost 2 scrap) if you lose the old one. (cost and cooldown to prevent rekeying/recutting from becoming an exploit)... Rekeying is per door only, so you will have to rekey all doors at the same time if you want one key to work with them all after rekeying one... Worse, the cooldown will apply per door, meaning it will take six weeks to rekey a house with three doors. Again, incentive to keep your original key safe...
--If you have the key in your inventory, the door will just open like any other. That fumbling around with the inventory and the key and "use KEY on DOOR" crap gets old quick.... If you don't have the key, the function indicator will pop up saying "locked", and you won't be able to do a dang thing with the door...
--There is only one way to access the door; the key. NO, you can't go breaking & entering, otherwise what's the point in putting up a house in the first place? Just a big-ass target for douchey players...
--If the DayZ crowd REALLY wants a way to break into secured houses, then it should take a whole lot to get into them, and not just like a lockpick or a grenade to the door. The player's house should be their own tiny little safe zone, NOT just a big-ass target for thieves and murderers and b-holes...
--Unlike UO, but it goes in this section, lockable doors (from above) can be used indoors to create individual securable rooms, for apartmenting or making a little armory or etc.

Really, I'd want to build it so that a single player screwing around for 4hrs a week isn't gonna put up their own house on a long Friday, but instead have massive co-operative efforts to build clan bases, secure areas, etc...

Just some thoughts...

Edited by t3h_kgb

On 8.2.2014 at 1:16 AM, bobda said:

Sandbags you could fill with a shovel would be nice.

Burlap Sack + Shovel + Dirt = Improvised Sandbag

• Like 3

On 6/6/2017 at 4:02 PM, Vattenlarv said:

Basic survival shelter that has similar properties as tents but with less slots, and maintenance required to keep it standing for a long period of time. Maybe this is more crafting than base building, but in my opinion that is as far as DayZ should go.

Logs, kindlings, rope and "pine branches".

b18c7e758a3639e56db59b3355344688.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Dayz is about survival and the ability to make survival shelters of some kind would be fantastic. It would also provide an option for players who wish to have a more 'stealth' option over a fortified base, and also for those players who wish to live a more nomadic/ wild existence. Just have it vanish quicker than the tent, or perhaps decay without maintenance.  

And here we are 3 and a half years later with pretty much nothing but tents. I'm somewhat confused as to why they haven't atleast made those damn lock picks useful yet considering how long they have been in the game.

I mean why are the lock picks even available when a player with and axe can bust the door open with one hit ? what is the point, what were they thinking when they added that ??? That isnt how it should work. Higher quality lockpicks should be needed to open high quality lock pick doors. 

e.g  a worn lock pick can only open doors of a damaged or badly damaged lock pick. This puts value on having the higher quality lock pick so if you had a pristine lock pick the opposing player would need a pristine lock pick to open your front door. Sheesh, anyway that's enough about lock picks.

Anyway, I Just want to barricade a house with planks, nails and a hammer, given that the storage items like the wardrobe are back in the houses. Correct me if I'm wrong but the devs have not touched on the base build subject in a long time ?

I really do say it as this. Base building seems like another one of the many "under the rug" features that has fallen away with time

I've been watching the dayz development for a long time. Does anyone ever wonder if the dev team actually has a project manager ? 

Edited by liquidcactus

3 hours ago, liquidcactus said:

And here we are 3 and a half years later with pretty much nothing but tents. I'm somewhat confused as to why they haven't atleast made those damn lock picks useful yet considering how long they have been in the game.

I mean why are the lock picks even available when a player with and axe can bust the door open with one hit ? what is the point, what were they thinking when they added that ??? That isnt how it should work. Higher quality lockpicks should be needed to open high quality lock pick doors. 

e.g  a worn lock pick can only open doors of a damaged or badly damaged lock pick. This puts value on having the higher quality lock pick so if you had a pristine lock pick the opposing player would need a pristine lock pick to open your front door. Sheesh, anyway that's enough about lock picks.

Anyway, I Just want to barricade a house with planks, nails and a hammer, given that the storage items like the wardrobe are back in the houses. Correct me if I'm wrong but the devs have not touched on the base build subject in a long time ?

I really do say it as this. Base building seems like another one of the many "under the rug" features that has fallen away with time

I've been watching the dayz development for a long time. Does anyone ever wonder if the dev team actually has a project manager ? 

Backlogged content will come after/during Beta phase.

I'm sure someone can find a list of every single feature that has been held from implementation because of the Beta/engine work.

Edited by DannyDog

On 10/11/2017 at 6:10 PM, DannyDog said:

Backlogged content will come after/during Beta phase.

I'm sure someone can find a list of every single feature that has been held from implementation because of the Beta/engine work.

Indeed ddog. However those pesky lock picks could still be our most basic way of temperately locking a door for now but they are just another useless item everyone by passes. I suppose we would still need static storage with the wardrobes (to make locking doors have a purpose) like i mentioned above so I guess the devs are waiting to nip it all in the but at once is my guess.

For now I will just keep dreaming 

28 minutes ago, liquidcactus said:

Indeed ddog. However those pesky lock picks could still be our most basic way of temperately locking a door for now but they are just another useless item everyone by passes. I suppose we would still need static storage with the wardrobes (to make locking doors have a purpose) like i mentioned above so I guess the devs are waiting to nip it all in the but at once is my guess.

For now I will just keep dreaming 

Yea I actually think they implemented lock picks just to test adding different states to doors such as a "locked boolean". And seeing how it worked it could also mean something like a "boarded boolean" which would allow players to nail doors shut and be persistent. But on the topic of your lock pick ideas it doesn't really make sense for such an item to exist when doors do not require any keys to unlock/open doors. I mean locking a door with a lock pick? Isn't that suppose to be the other way around? kek

Just now, DannyDog said:

But on the topic of your lock pick ideas it doesn't really make sense for such an item to exist when doors do not require any keys to unlock/open doors. I mean locking a door with a lock pick? Isn't that suppose to be the other way around? kek

Well yes but i just more so meant it would be nice as a basic introduction idea... the lock picks can lock the doors at the moment anyway so i was just elaborating on that. I just want to lock houses I'm not very fussed about the idea of constructing an entire base with towers and fences that sounds like a nightmare 

6 minutes ago, liquidcactus said:

Well yes but i just more so meant it would be nice as a basic introduction idea... the lock picks can lock the doors at the moment anyway so i was just elaborating on that. I just want to lock houses I'm not very fussed about the idea of constructing an entire base with towers and fences that sounds like a nightmare 

Yea I understand what you mean. I just meant ingeneral how it doesn't make sense for there to be lockpicks when doors themselves don't require keys to open in the first place. Like if certain doors had a locking mechanism on themselves already and shown as a model on the door then it would be great to just walk into a house and lock the door without needing any item. Then you would have lockpicks as something useable to unlock doors silently. The alternative would be to bash the door/shoot it which would generate lots of noise potentially attracting other players or zombies.

Edited by DannyDog

a well for getting water to drink/ cook

Edited by Rekurv

I like the idea of being able to fortify existing buildings, which occupying would stop loot and zombie spawns. Like being able to tear down chain link fences and set up a perimeter around your camp or craft some type of fence. I also like the idea someone else had where you can use burlap bags and dirt to make sandbags.  

Didn't play Rust or similar games with this base building and crafting system, but Fallout 4 introduced something which, while still flawed, kind of worked for me. But I'm skeptical about the size of this and what IS wanted and achievable in Dayz. I think base building is still way too complicated piece of game/server burden to make all these great ideas work properly while staying reasonable. So far, we haven't seen much of the needed essential resources and the mechanic itself working. So I'd be happy with simple things like barricading yourself in a house, but I'd be happy too if I could jump out that back window anytime :D I really like the idea of simple tent with a tarp and some branches for camouflage. Tarp can also be used to make a rain coat.

Talking about cities and towns, with a disaster like this that took place in Chernarus, it is surprising to me that door handles still actually work, let alone locks. So talking about locks, what are you gonna do? Make them somehow in the middle of all this happening with no proper tools? Which by the way, do make noise. Or are you gonna take them off the working doors to use them at your base? But yeah, I didn't forget about those drills and tools in that service garage structure. Still you need proper materials or resources. Finding a safe is cool, but it's expected for everyone to use it. Maybe use it's code locking? Don't forget the code. I'd toss out the actual door locks completely. I think more fitting are some primitive crafted latches, sheets of metal, ruined car hoods and doors, simple barriers and shed-like structures, good old planks and nails.

Also, furniture. It's too bad, in most games you enter a structure and you can't move all those chairs and desks, etc. to block doors and windows. You can just use this static surrounding as some cover at best, but are mostly just obstacles.  I mean, this game is based on survival and using all the options you can get. Hell why not even grab an object like that, a chair and toss it or hit the infected with it, or block melee attacks? Or break one of the desk's legs and use it like a club? Nail it... Get this, four freshies run into a house chased by the infected or some armed bandits, get into kitchen, grab a desk leg each, barricade that door or window with the remaining flat top surface... Could clog the server and development itself, I know :D

If we get more of the infected on the map and better AI, they should be able to move from town to town through the woods too sniff you out, like wolf packs, so basically your base or the place you've barricaded yourself in would never be completely a safe place. I'd rather be on the move often.

We could use some caves built into the map. Way back I tried out Miscreated, and they had a couple of those. And maybe a castle should have some built in tunnels?

We have shovels. Digging a small trench should be possible for one man but I think tunnels and such terrain altering ideas are too much for the game itself. Someone mentioned earlier digging a hole to bury and try to camouflage your little stash, or even a body. That's a good idea. You can remember the area yourself. But maybe, then your character only could have this info saved whenever you enter this, say 5-10m area again, so the HUD can lead you and you can access it like some kind of a container, and dig it out. No need for shovel now, since it's still kind of fresh and you could dig it out with your hands? The camouflage could work like a set of several options which would cover it with different textures, available maybe based on the surroundings? It would be smartest if you bury it out in the woods and use all those sticks you find while hiking through for easiest and best camouflage. For other players it could work like they stumble upon this option to dig it out when really close and while looking at it or stepping on the exact spot,  maybe like a hint, currently in the lower left corner of the screen.

Sandbags. Can't we just use those at military camps and checkpoints, load up our truck? I think the burlap sacks are too scarce to make a decent wall.

Sigh.