thedogfoodyayho

Base Building - What would you like to see?

UNDERGROUND construction for clan bases.  Not griefable.

Way too many asshats in the Epoch mod would run around at 3am just blowing shit up.  For all of you that like to use the "reality" argument so much........you would have people DEFENDING your base 24/7 all the time, you would NOT leave your base (and your loot) undefended.  Someone would not be able to just walk up to it at 3am and blow everything up.

For above ground construction I'd like to see LIMITED "fortify for PVP" construction that goes away after a server restart.

Hmm.. 24/7?

You'de get awfully thristy...

-just tents to safe some loot.

-some traps to protect the tents

-and boards to barricade a building with your team( but for this we neet a super happy zombietime on the server that you must survive.)

please no "base"= fort

I personally loved the idea of cabins and fully constructible buildings being in the finished product and for now would definitely be happy with boarding windows and doors or even just locking doors in houses that currently have functioning doors but I had a real issue with the timeframe at which your buildings would degrade in the mod, you had to build your structure over , a couple of days letting conctre/mortar set with cinder blocks and so on however this building would start to deteriorate after about 5-7 days even if logged out requiring an immense amount of supplies to keep up with maintenance resulting in your building and precious time and effort going to rubble literally.

So if they were to add the ability for solid structure construction it wouldn't matter what they made it out of currently it would deteriorate so fast that they couldn't build 40 structures in an area spamming space because the upkeep would be too much, I think that you should be able to build solid structures that last for several weeks or even months at the expense of the building being completely destructible do several elements a storm or heat wave may cause damage to structures players could knock it down with sledge hammers hammers axes, crowbar could pry open doors/locks pipe wrench could break wood and glass, this would control the amount of structures that could be built although also encouraging trolling and raiding but would make it a little more realistic because let's face it your house doesn't fall down in a week if you don't go and get more bricks and foundation to hold it together but at the same time if a madman came to your front door with a sledge hammer I don't think your ,house couldnhold him out

I personally loved the idea of cabins and fully constructible buildings being in the finished product and for now would definitely be happy with boarding windows and doors or even just locking doors in houses that currently have functioning doors but I had a real issue with the timeframe at which your buildings would degrade in the mod, you had to build your structure over , a couple of days letting conctre/mortar set with cinder blocks and so on however this building would start to deteriorate after about 5-7 days even if logged out requiring an immense amount of supplies to keep up with maintenance resulting in your building and precious time and effort going to rubble literally.

So if they were to add the ability for solid structure construction it wouldn't matter what they made it out of currently it would deteriorate so fast that they couldn't build 40 structures in an area spamming space because the upkeep would be too much, I think that you should be able to build solid structures that last for several weeks or even months at the expense of the building being completely destructible do several elements a storm or heat wave may cause damage to structures players could knock it down with sledge hammers hammers axes, crowbar could pry open doors/locks pipe wrench could break wood and glass, this would control the amount of structures that could be built although also encouraging trolling and raiding but would make it a little more realistic because let's face it your house doesn't fall down in a week if you don't go and get more bricks and foundation to hold it together but at the same time if a madman came to your front door with a sledge hammer I don't think your ,house couldnhold him out

That wasn't the mod, that was the mod's "Epoch" mod, which was ridiculous in many, many other ways.

imo, a base is a defendable structure with basic facilities such as water and storage.

Players should only be allowed to attack bases when at least 1 of the base members is playing dayz.

This should negate the "some 10 year old blew up my base while i was at work" problem.

Any base should start with a permanent fire place for cooking game, any complex base parts should also require you to use a workbench in my opinion.

Fallout 3 style.

Large tents should be in the game also, for fast shelter.

For bases you need:

- stable loot - meaning you can hoard and server restart keeps the items database

- tents & camp fire - this is the most basic base type

- workbench & item combinations

- on top of this all a new layer of UI - interaction with environment

Hope it comes, hope it comes properly done.

There is nothing worse than a pile of junk as seen in Rust and other similar projects. Not saying it cannot be done, but keep it simple and non disruptive, fallout style - existing structures with elements added around - spikes, barbed wire, sandboxes.

imo, a base is a defendable structure with basic facilities such as water and storage.

Players should only be allowed to attack bases when at least 1 of the base members is playing dayz.

This should negate the "some 10 year old blew up my base while i was at work" problem.

I really like this idea. I looked into Dead Linger which I think you could integrate into the quote. Therefore new "towns" would start. There are more twists to it. You would acctually have to form groups and clans to protect and loot enough stuff in order to build it. On the other side there would be no need in server hopping since the fort/town/whatever you want to call it, will only stay with that server. I think it is a great idea.

The base camp look okay but if to be implemented in DayZ the building methods need to be easy and simple. We already have tools laying around in the game. However that slow moving Zombie I give a 10 stars. Zombie should behave like that.

ok if that the case than maybe we scrap the idea but I too disagree with a safe box idea. It will litter the ground this is something out of that fail zombie game infestation. As for the safe, it is just ridiculous if you can save 50 M4's, the storage should be 35 slot max so that you can safe only what valuable such as medicine which is very hard to come by. 

I don't think underground base or the ability to dig the ground like minecraft will be ever implemented in the game. I agree though on the need to defend your base by at least one of your friend or clan member. I saw this video FrankieonPC, its just so funny how people can esily break into your base with a chainsaw hehehe...

tent is great as well, so if we see a tent in the woods, than the owner will not be far away. So can kill on sight and loot his/her tent once done than an ability to raze it to the ground hahaha..

If they really put this feature, I hope they expand chenarus map. I want my cabin to be remotely isolated and very hard to find. Only those who is very determine to find my camp will be able to find it.

Than again all this remain a wish. Hope the dev already have some sort of idea about this and will put it in the game before the full release. This game is so enjoyable but more need to be done to move it away from the Arma 2 look. We need zombie apocalypse look. need to be spooky and scary.

No. No safezone. Society has collapsed.

And invincible locked storage? That was the worst fucking thing epoch ever added. Every retard had 20 safes sitting in the middle of a field. What is the point of invincible storage? Its not invincible IRL... a safe can be pried, cut, or blown open, "lockboxes" are more shitty than that.

It should be up to you to hide your gear. Thats right, no putting your invincible safe at elektro with 50 M4s inside. Hide it up north, in a house, in a tree... and if it is found, anyone can get in/destroy it.

I would be ok with a small hotel safe. It would be weak, able to be opened with a crowbar or explosives (damages contents) and VERY small. About the size of an assault vest. In addition it would be so small someone could pick it up and carry it away.

ok if that the case than maybe we scrap the idea but I too disagree with a safe box idea. It will litter the ground this is something out of that fail zombie game infestation. As for the safe, it is just ridiculous if you can save 50 M4's, the storage should be 35 slot max so that you can safe only what valuable such as medicine which is very hard to come by. 

Way too many asshats in the Epoch mod would run around at 3am just blowing shit up.  For all of you that like to use the "reality" argument so much........you would have people DEFENDING your base 24/7 all the time, you would NOT leave your base (and your loot) undefended.  Someone would not be able to just walk up to it at 3am and blow everything up.

For above ground construction I'd like to see LIMITED "fortify for PVP" construction that goes away after a server restart.

I don't think underground base or the ability to dig the ground like minecraft will be ever implemented in the game. I agree though on the need to defend your base by at least one of your friend or clan member. I saw this video FrankieonPC, its just so funny how people can esily break into your base with a chainsaw hehehe...

-just tents to safe some loot.

-some traps to protect the tents

-and boards to barricade a building with your team( but for this we neet a super happy zombietime on the server that you must survive.)

please no "base"= fort

tent is great as well, so if we see a tent in the woods, than the owner will not be far away. So can kill on sight and loot his/her tent once done than an ability to raze it to the ground hahaha..

If they really put this feature, I hope they expand chenarus map. I want my cabin to be remotely isolated and very hard to find. Only those who is very determine to find my camp will be able to find it.

Than again all this remain a wish. Hope the dev already have some sort of idea about this and will put it in the game before the full release. This game is so enjoyable but more need to be done to move it away from the Arma 2 look. We need zombie apocalypse look. need to be spooky and scary.

Edited by mareak
  • Like 1

If at all possible, i would prefer to have a say in the layout / appearance of my base, so no cookie cutter bases pls.

"there would be no need in server hopping since the fort/town/whatever you want to call it, will only stay with that server."

Unfortunately that is not entirely accurate. Your base might be linked to the server, but loot isnt.

"it is just ridiculous if you can save 50 M4's, the storage should be 35 slot max"

No, its not. Keep in mind that storage space should take up actual space. This means that if you have a large base, half the server will prolly be waiting for you to open the doors. (mwuhahahaha...)

So pls do get 50 m4's and dont forget the trimmings.

If at all possible, i would prefer to have a say in the layout / appearance of my base, so no cookie cutter bases pls.

"there would be no need in server hopping since the fort/town/whatever you want to call it, will only stay with that server."

Unfortunately that is not entirely accurate. Your base might be linked to the server, but loot isnt.

"it is just ridiculous if you can save 50 M4's, the storage should be 35 slot max"

No, its not. Keep in mind that storage space should take up actual space. This means that if you have a large base, half the server will prolly be waiting for you to open the doors. (mwuhahahaha...)

So pls do get 50 m4's and dont forget the trimmings.

Ithink you read my post wrong. I meant its ridiculous you can hold 50 M4s in a completely invincible safe that is about hakf thesize of a gunsafe that would hold 10. And actaully, you could have 100 Guns in Epoch safes.

You don't understand the reason the devs want underground bases. Its so you can >> Hide << your base. If its invincible, hell, just build a radio tower. Why the fuck not? 

Maybe if you actaully hid your base and didn't build castles on the coast, you would have had better luck.

Bases were fine in the original mod. I was never raided, becuase i actaully kept my bases hidden and far inland. 

So if you want to complain about being raided offline - as before, hide it better.

• Like 1

Btw, I guess we neglegt the possible implementation of pure supply-chaches and BIG storage boxes:

1. Grab a shovel

2. Dig a hole

3. put stuff in box

4. drop box in hole.

5. Shove earth on it and mind the unobtrusive kind of marker, you choose from maybe 5 possibles

(for e.g. dirtpile, grave-cross, fencepole, etc.)

6. Take a note of the position and hope, nobody trips about your stash...

• Like 1

Anyone elses thoughts?

Just this:

The mod, which didn't include bases, saw a lot of sub-modding to add in bases (and other elements the game's player base desired), as a means to give those who weren't quite satisfied with the original mod something more tailored to their interests. Should base-building not live up to the expectations of the playerbase, I suspect the same thing will happen in the standalone; as it is, unless the same style of bases are implemented in the vanilla game, I suspect Epoch and Origins' developers will carry their mods over sometime in beta/early open release. So, let us all keep in mind that while the original product may not live up to our expectations, there are parties willing, able and ready to implement the content as we want it somewhere along the line.

The way I look at base building is that it would come primarily in reinforcing existing buildings.

Reinforcing is a term applied to players reinforcing an existing building with additional materials. The primary benefit of this would be that anybody could choose a building they wish to reinforce, however the larger the building, the larger the extent of supplies needed to reinforce that particular building. Reinforcing would focus on applying barricades and shields to doors and windows, adding external defenses (barbed wire or wooden spiked fences) . Additional positives include:

Positive

• Sturdy and strong, able to withstand more punishment from attacks and not always easy to break into
  • Interior objects could become useful additions that would not necessarily require any additional crafting elements (such as a fireplace, storage areas, work benches etc)
  • Better protection from the elements
  • Better defensive location

Negative

• Fixed in place, compared to some craft able base's these cannot be moved
  • Easily found, a reinforced existing building will often stick out of place amongst others
  • Resource intensive, Reinforcing a building may take more resources than what a hand crafted base has
  • May attract more attention, reinforcing a building in a center of a city or a small town may attract more attention from Zombies (and inversely other players)
  • Like 1

It sounds like you want to be able to homestead which sounds pretty interesting. Being a bowhunter myself I'd be keen on seeing pack-able tree-stands introduced which could be used for hunting as well as in an observation post role.

This^

I was going to suggest this, never really had the time to suggest it But it is a splendid idea. It would take up your backpack, so you couldnt carry a backpack. And you could clim any tree. It would be a awesome idea for hunting and scouting, make it a little bit better for snipers aswell. 

Ideas from Draco and Calixus combined sounds good. Big stuff in existing structures. Small stuff in hidden holes.

Building a complete "city" or "base" with big efforts in the middle of nowhere makes not much sense in the apocalypse. Why would you waste time and energy to do so? (Yeah Bandits, I know!)

The building-reinforcement-thing would have to be coded in that fashion that "ghosting-in" via server-change would be impossible...

Ithink you read my post wrong. I meant its ridiculous you can hold 50 M4s in a completely invincible safe that is about hakf thesize of a gunsafe that would hold 10. And actaully, you could have 100 Guns in Epoch safes.

You don't understand the reason the devs want underground bases. Its so you can >> Hide << your base. If its invincible, hell, just build a radio tower. Why the fuck not? 

Maybe if you actaully hid your base and didn't build castles on the coast, you would have had better luck.

Bases were fine in the original mod. I was never raided, becuase i actaully kept my bases hidden and far inland. 

So if you want to complain about being raided offline - as before, hide it better.

Yes that would be completely ridiculous.

The main reason devs might want underground bases is prolly performance related. Maybe later on when everything is optimized and there is room to spare, we can consider small aboveground structures.

Getting raided offline can be easily solved by not allowing raiding if none of the base members are online. If all base members (and i should specify that a member is a character, not a player id) are killed, the base will be raidable regardless of whether any members (all dead) are online.

I would like to see new simple materials like tarps, camo netting, timbers, hiding a helicopter with camo netting would be epic, or drums or cars, and if you had that imagine just finding one camo netting to use for ghillie suits combined with burlap. Or cutting a ratp for an improvised raincoat/poncho. Timbers for making upright posts and beams

I would Like a very limited building system, so it doesn't Ruin the immersion IE. I don't want to see giant skyscrapers or towns walled off by 80 feet high walls

Basic survival shelter that has similar properties as tents but with less slots, and maintenance required to keep it standing for a long period of time. Maybe this is more crafting than base building, but in my opinion that is as far as DayZ should go.

Logs, kindlings, rope and "pine branches".

b18c7e758a3639e56db59b3355344688.jpg

Edited by Vattenlarv
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, koffeekage said:

I would like to see new simple materials like tarps, camo netting, timbers, hiding a helicopter with camo netting would be epic, or drums or cars, and if you had that imagine just finding one camo netting to use for ghillie suits combined with burlap. Or cutting a ratp for an improvised raincoat/poncho. Timbers for making upright posts and beams

Tarps would definitely be very useful. If you just have a tarp and rope with you at all times, craft a tarp shelter, find two trees that are not to far apart and make a tarp shelter to stay dry in case of rain(no other properties).

01-Tarp-Shelter-Tent.jpg

Edited by Vattenlarv
  • Like 3

Hmm..  2 branchs 1rope 1tarp... without trees is better for the Devs, and the same solution.

I have been waiting for that type of one man tent. Packing shelter into your ruck would be outstanding.