scottishrebel

Update (16/1): Player Proximity DeSync Issue (Solutions/Workarounds!)

Proximity DeSync Investigation Part 2  

215 members have voted

1. 1. IF you have the DeSync issue, as described, Which anti-virus do you use?

• Kaspersky
    • AVG
    • Avast
    • Symantec (Norton)
    • Quick Heal
    • ESET
    • Microsoft Security Essentials (Active as your anti-virus)
    • McAfee
    • Avira
    • BitDefender
    • Bullguard
    • Dr.Web
    • Comodo
    • Other
    • No Anti-Virus Installed
  2. 2. In what category of server do you experience the issue?

• Current Build Server (Battleye Enabled)
    • Current Build Server (Battleye Disabled)
    • Experimental Build Server (Battleye Enabled)
    • Experimental Build Server (Battleye Disabled)
  3. 3. If you recently had this issue but have managed to fix it (including Battleye Servers), Which option below fixed it?

• Disabling All/part of Anti-Virus or making tweaks to it
    • Making tweaks to your Home Network (LAN)
    • Validating DayZ files through Steam
    • Re-install of the game
    • Making changes to your PC (Editing Windows and Its features or ethernet Port adjustments etc)
    • It Magicaly Disappeared (You done Nothing)
    • Other
    • Not Fixed

If this summary is correct, a great deal of specifics need to be answered:

• What does "I can't play anymore" actually mean? Can you not interact with items? Is there anything you can do? Like can you move? Reload? Fire a weapon? Drink? Drop something on the ground? Change clothes?
  • What happens over the network when these things occur? Do other people see any of the changes you make?
  • Are all your friends affected in the same way? Or only some of them? Is there anything unique about the friends who are having the issue?
  • What kinds of things still occur in the game? Can you see others animations, sound effects, etc...? What about VON, does this continue to work?
  • What is the network utilization of your client? Both before the issue starts and during it?

• I cant not interact with items, they see me moving and reloading and doing everything, but i see them just there doing nothing just not moving. even i can drop something in the ground and they can see it, but in my view still on my bagpack or whatever lol. is kinda wierd. 
  • yes they see it. every move i make they can see it.. but i see them doing nothing.
  • They are not affected, just me and just occurs when i meet a friend, no matter wich one. just a friend.
  • actually i didnt pay attention to the sounds or what happend in the game while im having the issue, but ill try it next time and ill let you know
  • the network utilization, never tried to look that, im gonna do it and ill post it here.. 

Hope this can help you to figure what the problem is.  :)

I don't really understand what you mean, but I'll try to modify my original summary based on what I can grab from your post:

You join a server and if you or anyone nearby to you have 100000 desync in player menu, but no desync icon, you cannot play any more. This only occurs when you are near a player who is having max desync.

If this summary is correct, a great deal of specifics need to be answered:

• What does "I can't play anymore" actually mean? Can you not interact with items? Is there anything you can do? Like can you move? Reload? Fire a weapon? Drink? Drop something on the ground? Change clothes?
  • What happens over the network when these things occur? Do other people see any of the changes you make?
  • Are all your friends affected in the same way? Or only some of them? Is there anything unique about the friends who are having the issue?
  • What kinds of things still occur in the game? Can you see others animations, sound effects, etc...? What about VON, does this continue to work?
  • What is the network utilization of your client? Both before the issue starts and during it?

This certainly doesn't sound like desync, it sounds more like interruption is occurring and state has simply stopped being updated. However this is a wild guess as most of the posts appear to be about completely different things without any specific detail. This is why there is a great deal of problem with the thread, some people are experiencing a legitimate UFO-style bug, others are just commenting about typical and normal desync, yet others are talking about server-performance induced desync, and a few are talking about issues associated with container-ception.

Hmm perhaps I may give you a hand at explaining what he meant, something similar was happening to me when I was playing with my squad mates yesterday. 

We we're in a electro, I had died to due falling off a balcony while taking my weapon out, it was during an extreme moment of lag which we we're all experiencing and we all had an unusual amount of bandwidth, sometimes we would even get a gameplay ''freeze'' simultaneously. So once I respawned north of electro my FPS was back to its normal state however once I got to approximately 600m of my corpse the lag and FPS drop got progressively worst, I picked up what I had left on my corpse, (green talon backpack, and cheste holster, my friends grabbed the sks for me). Thinking the lag would stop we headed back north leaving electro, however it didnt stop this time, we we're also all experiencing the lag. I left the server got back into it, it didnt solve anything, I then closed the game and steam which caused a temporary fix, until it reoccurred again.  

Hope this helps and cheer Rocket 

Good luck on figuring this out 

Edited by ajdude

Hmm perhaps I may give you a hand at explaining what he meant, something similar was happening to me when I was playing with my squad mates yesterday. 

We we're in a electro, I had died to due falling off a balcony while taking my weapon out, it was during an extreme moment of lag which we we're all experiencing and we all had an unusual amount of bandwidth, sometimes we would even get a gameplay ''freeze'' simultaneously. So once I respawned north of electro my FPS was back to its normal state however once I got to approximately 600m of my corpse the lag and FPS drop got progressively worst, I picked up what I had left on my corpse, (green talon backpack, and cheste holster, my friends grabbed the sks for me). Thinking the lag would stop we headed back north leaving electro, however it didnt stop this time, we we're also all experiencing the lag. I left the server got back into it, it didnt solve anything, I then closed the game and steam which caused a temporary fix, until it reoccurred again.  

Hope this helps and cheer Rocket 

Good luck on figuring this out 

No, this is not FPS problem. This is HIGH DESYNC problem. Dean and his teams is fixing FPS problem now.

• Like 2

No fix on this yet eh?! Well it feels like cheating still, everytime i get the orange desync icon after a few seconds i see a player, usually, that is not always but still. Cheating!

Edited by whothehellishe

Before I start addressing these, I need to make a blanket statement. In nearly all the circumstances described below, the problem is not desync. This is a source of a great deal of confusion, people are using the term "desync" for a blanket description of their problem. Desync is not a problem, it is just a situation and on it's own it is no problem at all - it is in fact expected. The problems being described below all have one thing in common:

Updates are not being received by the client

They are being received by the server. Other players are receiving the information. But a select few clients appear to not be receiving the information.

I can think of a few reasons this might happen:

• Engine bug (such as container-ception)
  • Router issue, or unique configuration not handled well by DayZ server
  • ISP issue, as above
  • Firewall issue(s)
  • Software port conflicts

At this point doing traceroute, both while the problem is experienced and while it is not, is extremely important for diagnosis. So much of the chain between game server and client is completely out of our control.

Ok Dean, I will summarize for you about this problem:

1. Some players play alone with very good desync. But when they meet up your friends or even other players, desync immediately increase 100.000 and doesn't reduce. And when they get away from your friends or other players, desync is normal and they play very well.

2. Some players (Like me) have high desync even they are alone and very random (Today I play good in this server and just have a little desync but still can play, but tomorrow is 100.000 desync and don't reduce). Don't have any icon like yeallow/red chain

3. Some players join server and they have good desync. But after 5-10 minutes playing, desync increase 100.000 and don't reduce.

When you have high desync, you just can run aroung but can't use food, water, open/close door, can't put weapond or items in your hand BUT my friends can see when I put a weapon in my hand (In my computer, nothing happens). My friends is good when near me.

That is our problem now. I'm very glad because you have attention at this issue and I really hope you can help us play this game. This game is very awesome, I'm addicted with it but can't play because of high desync. Thank you so much Dean Hall

Again, I think you need to separate Desync from what you are experiencing. Desync is not the cause of your problem,  a desync value is being reported on your CLIENT in the game menu, but it doesn't actually sound like you have desync in the traditional sense... it sounds more like your client is not receiving updates from the server at all in certain circumstances. Server desync (server is too busy and suffering low performance, so cannot send updates fast enough) would affect everyone. Client desync would be recognized by the client for what it is, and would show an icon indicating such.

The problem is pretty straightforward in my case. If I get together with 1 or 2 guys, I have no issues. If I get together with 3 people or more, I get permanent 100k desync regardless of the server we're in. I can't interact with the server at all, having a 20-30 seconds-ish delay whenever I attempt an action such as looting a corpse or dropping an item. Sometimes I'll see people acting normally within a 3 second window of logging in, but then the desync kicks in and I see them permanently frozen in the middle of whatever they were doing, as if my connection had dropped altogether. 

I have to play solo or with one mate at most because of this.  I understand this is an alpha (as in, it's amazing that it's even playable) so if you want me to do more tests or be more specific about the problem please ask.

Edit: Like the above poster, my character can move just fine when I'm desyncing, but that's about it. I don't see other people's movements and I can't interact with items (or at least, interact with them without waiting 30 seconds each time I do something)

This sounds similar to the above, but slightly different. Firstly I need to point out is that what you are experiencing is not desync. It's like the server is not able to communicate effectively with your client at all. Do other people see your movements when you move? Characters are managed locally, so that means your client does not need the server to execute your movement - hence you could see yourself moving around even if such an update is not being received by the server.

I've had this happen to me twice, both when playing with 2 other people, since this thread, as said before is a bit of a mess I'll try explain exactly what happens with me.

The first time it happened, I was playing with my friend, all was fine. Shortly afterwards we were joined by another person and all was fine for ~30 minutes. We stopped to eat/drink and without warning they stopped moving. They could see ME moving around, but for me they were simply crouching staring at a wall. I rejoined the server with the same effects, except that their models had moved position. Same thing, they could see me moving around but I couldn't see their movements. We changed servers to see if it would fix the problem. It worked for, again, ~30 minutes on the new server then began again.

Last night I had the same issue, except it was directly after a server restart. But again, same issue, they could see all my movements, but everything else (zombies and players alike) I couldn't see on my end.

On both occurances I couldn't interact with anything; my inventory, hotbar, loot etc just wasn't responding.

Again we server hopped and it fixed the issue.

I'm using Avast! and always use BE servers if that helps in any way.

Edit: oh and it's the same for me that the chain icon doesn't show up, my desync shows 0 for me, ping usually around 50-60 but for my friends it says 100000

This sounds very similar to the above. More and more this convinces me that there is a specific communication issue occurring with a particular router/software firewall that for whatever reason is either not being handled well by the game server or simply blocking some areas of traffic entirely. Your client does not believe it is desyncing, it is still able to communicate with the game server at a basic level (ping), but it is not receiving updates.

• Like 1

This sounds similar to the above, but slightly different. Firstly I need to point out is that what you are experiencing is not desync. It's like the server is not able to communicate effectively with your client at all. Do other people see your movements when you move? Characters are managed locally, so that means your client does not need the server to execute your movement - hence you could see yourself moving around even if such an update is not being received by the server.

I'll ask some friends to check if they see my movement when I'm having the server communication issue. As for firewall and router issues, I turned off windows firewall and my router has no firewall. Never had a router issue in my life so far, but I'll try connecting my computer directly to the modem to see if that fixes the problem. I'll post the results when I've done both.

Dean plz look at this video, Is something like this..  But everyone (friends or not) Can see you making those move and dropping items but you cant interact with the game. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej7-UG4sZmM

That video looks almost exactly like a firewall issue. I turned my firewall on here and was able to reproduce the same outcome.

That video looks almost exactly like a firewall issue. I turned my firewall on here and was able to reproduce the same outcome.

I always turn my firewall off and still have issue. My friends turn my firewall on and don't have this issue

I'll ask some friends to check if they see my movement when I'm having the server communication issue. As for firewall and router issues, I turned off windows firewall and my router has no firewall. Never had a router issue in my life so far, but I'll try connecting my computer directly to the modem to see if that fixes the problem. I'll post the results when I've done both.

Your router is a hardware firewall by definition really, unless you have configured it to be entirely a DMZ (see http://www.howtogeek.com/122065/htg-explains-i-have-a-router-do-i-need-a-firewall/)

Certainly direct connection would be a great test. If that still doesn't work, check and see what other applications are running on your computer, such as anti-virus programs, might be restricting internet traffic.

i dont have my firewall active, i already opened the ports in steam launch options and my router and nothing seems to work.

but at least i understand what you point is dont worry, can you tell us what to do or what u gonna try about it? we will be more than happy if u tell us a solution or let us know that your on it for now :) cheers

i dont have my firewall active, i already opened the ports in steam launch options and my router and nothing seems to work.

but at least i understand what you point is dont worry, can you tell us what to do or what u gonna try about it? we will be more than happy if u tell us a solution or let us know that your on it for now :) cheers

If there is an external blocker of some sort preventing network traffic under particular circumstances, then there is nothing I can do. If there is an internal blocker (something in the engine at client/server) level then I can. That this is not a reproducible issue, and that only seems to affect a (relatively speaking) small number of users leads be to believe the issue is probably not internal to the engine.

The simplest explanation there (applying a great deal of Occam's Razor) is that an unknown external factor is affecting some (but not all) communication between a client and the game server for some users. This appears to have varying degrees of impact, which may mean they are the same issue, similar issues, or a variety of unrelated issues.

Without a clear reproduction for us, we would only solve the issue by accident. If we can reproduce the exact conditions then we have a shot at identifying the problem(s). If we can identify the problem(s) then maybe we can solve them.

Hey Dean, Yesterday i tried something with my Friend we were playing normally with no desync at all, (in hardcore) then we went to balota then the problems start.. BUT there was more ppl there so my friend killed one of them and took a box of ammo... and today we are in hardcore again in a server just us.. and im having desync right when he log in.. So i told him to drop the ammobox and the issue still going, I guess its something with some items, cuz before we went to balota, everthing was fine, so i guess that guy had some item bug or something idk. 

Checking back in. I tested it with a friend (only 1 person, and he already caused me to have the server connection issue), he said he saw me moving just fine. I couldn't see him doing anything, but I ran back and forth and in circles and he saw me doing all those things with no delay whatsoever.

Disconnected my router and connected straight through the modem. Problem persists, hasn't been improved in any way. Windows firewall's still off.

One other thing I've noticed is that only certain people seem to trigger the permanent desync. I've played with around 2 or 3 people and nothing's happened, but I come close to this guy and the server dies (on my end, he's just fine). We're both on the same Teamspeak (I highly doubt that affects anything, just giving as much info as possible). 

Edited by GGOtter
  • Like 1

Hey Dean, Yesterday i tried something with my Friend we were playing normally with no desync at all, (in hardcore) then we went to balota then the problems start.. BUT there was more ppl there so my friend killed one of them and took a box of ammo... and today we are in hardcore again in a server just us.. and im having desync right when he log in.. So i told him to drop the ammobox and the issue still going, I guess its something with some items, cuz before we went to balota, everthing was fine, so i guess that guy had some item bug or something idk. 

Again, please I'm begging you - the word "desync" has become worse than useless in this thread. People are confusing desync with bad framerate, with packetloss, with communication failures, basically anything subnormal gameplay. So when you say "no desync" or "having desync" - I have absolutely no idea what you mean. If you find yourself writing "desync", just replace it with an exact description of what you are experiencing.

Checking back in. I tested it with a friend (only 1 person, and he already caused me to have the server connection issue), he said he saw me moving just fine. I couldn't see him doing anything, but I ran back and forth and in circles and he saw me doing all those things with no delay whatsoever.

Disconnected my router and connected straight through the modem. Problem persists, hasn't been improved in any way. Windows firewall's still off.

One other thing I've noticed is that only certain people seem to trigger the permanent desync. I've played with around 2 or 3 people and nothing's happened, but I come close to this guy and the server dies (on my end, he's just fine). We're both on the same Teamspeak (I highly doubt that affects anything, just giving as much info as possible). 

I'm afraid there is nothing more I can help with, without being able to reproduce it. The only way I've been able to reproduce a similar issue here was by fiddling around with my router firewall. I can't think of anything that could help or explain the situation other than connection issues between client and server. If it were intermittent and happening to everyone occasionally - I would expect that it was a bug with the game. But because it happens to specific people on a regular basis the most obvious cause (but not definite) would be connection between client & server.

What would be very helpful would be for someone who experiences this client connection failure (not desync/fps lag!!!) to take their computer to a friends house who has a known good connection and no problems. This will help us eliminate a software cause on the computer.

• Like 4

Again, please I'm begging you - the word "desync" has become worse than useless in this thread. People are confusing desync with bad framerate, with packetloss, with communication failures, basically anything subnormal gameplay. So when you say "no desync" or "having desync" - I have absolutely no idea what you mean. If you find yourself writing "desync", just replace it with an exact description of what you are experiencing.

I'm afraid there is nothing more I can help with, without being able to reproduce it. The only way I've been able to reproduce a similar issue here was by fiddling around with my router firewall. I can't think of anything that could help or explain the situation other than connection issues between client and server. If it were intermittent and happening to everyone occasionally - I would expect that it was a bug with the game. But because it happens to specific people on a regular basis the most obvious cause (but not definite) would be connection between client & server.

What would be very helpful would be for someone who experiences this client connection failure (not desync/fps lag!!!) to take their computer to a friends house who has a known good connection and no problems. This will help us eliminate a software cause on the computer.

Okay, thanks for checking. I guess I'll try a clean reinstall, if it doesn't work, I'll just wait until a patch fixes it someday. If I find any other data I'll post them.

Edited by GGOtter

Ok i wont use that word...the point is that some items are causing that issue to us.. I think that is, at least in my case. I tell u that cuz what i said in the last post..

And thanks for respond, now we see that we have ur atention on this issue and maybe we can solve it :) cheers

Well I just played with ZERO issues after putting my PC in the DMZ on my Router.

I hope this sticks cause its sure nice to play with NO issues :D

**EDIT** Played for about 20+ mins with NO issues :D

Edited by nvrsbr

Okay, thanks for checking. I guess I'll try a clean reinstall, if it doesn't work, I'll just wait until a patch fixes it someday. If I find any other data I'll post them.

Clean reinstall has virtually no chance of solving your problem. I would recommend you try the computer using another internet connection/router at a friends house to check. Best would be if that connection were another ISP.

Ok i wont use that word...the point is that some items are causing that issue to us.. I think that is, at least in my case. I tell u that cuz what i said in the last post..

And thanks for respond, now we see that we have ur atention on this issue and maybe we can solve it :) cheers

Again, I mean really. You've simply replaced "desync" with "that issue". Getting my attention will not solve your problem, because right now, my attention has found nothing usable to solve. In fact, so far the more I have looked at the issue the more I convinced it is simply a client connection issue (see the quoted post below).

Well I just played with ZERO issues after putting my PC in the DMZ on my Router.

I hope this sticks cause its sure nice to play with NO issues :D

**EDIT** Played for about 20+ mins with NO issues :D

Certainly I think most (if not all) people experiencing this issue are experiencing an issue with connection between client/server. Whether that is a router, antivirus, or other software conflict I guess it could be any. Good to hear you are getting no issues there.

You could try set your router to forward all packets incoming via protocol UDP on port 2302 (public / private port) and 2303 (public / private port) to the IP address that your gaming PC has inside your LAN. Then do the same for packets using TCP. Using the DMZ longer term would not be a good idea :D Those were the ports needed to ArmA2, so I believe they are the same but I will check in the office tomorrow.

Forwarding the ports 2302, 2303, 2305 does not do the same thing.

Stikll get very bad Desync issues.