scottishrebel

Update (16/1): Player Proximity DeSync Issue (Solutions/Workarounds!)

Proximity DeSync Investigation Part 2  

215 members have voted

1. 1. IF you have the DeSync issue, as described, Which anti-virus do you use?

• Kaspersky
    • AVG
    • Avast
    • Symantec (Norton)
    • Quick Heal
    • ESET
    • Microsoft Security Essentials (Active as your anti-virus)
    • McAfee
    • Avira
    • BitDefender
    • Bullguard
    • Dr.Web
    • Comodo
    • Other
    • No Anti-Virus Installed
  2. 2. In what category of server do you experience the issue?

• Current Build Server (Battleye Enabled)
    • Current Build Server (Battleye Disabled)
    • Experimental Build Server (Battleye Enabled)
    • Experimental Build Server (Battleye Disabled)
  3. 3. If you recently had this issue but have managed to fix it (including Battleye Servers), Which option below fixed it?

• Disabling All/part of Anti-Virus or making tweaks to it
    • Making tweaks to your Home Network (LAN)
    • Validating DayZ files through Steam
    • Re-install of the game
    • Making changes to your PC (Editing Windows and Its features or ethernet Port adjustments etc)
    • It Magicaly Disappeared (You done Nothing)
    • Other
    • Not Fixed

Guys, please stop trying to relate the issue to specific places or items, it clearly has no relation to anything like that. Some people were even confusing this with the memory leak last week, and they're so different (visually and conceptually) it's not even funny. Rocket already said he had no clue because they can't reproduce the problem, so it's not getting fixed for now. Our best bet is to wait for a random patch to fix the issue, or for a random patch to break it even further so more people start experiencing it and it becomes common enough to be tested by devs.

Yes, I know that both options suck. 

Guys, please stop trying to relate the issue to specific places or items, it clearly has no relation to anything like that. Some people were even confusing this with the memory leak last week, and they're so different (visually and conceptually) it's not even funny. Rocket already said he had no clue because they can't reproduce the problem, so it's not getting fixed for now. Our best bet is to wait for a random patch to fix the issue, or for a random patch to break it even further so more people start experiencing it and it becomes common enough to be tested by devs.

Unfortunatly after nearly 300 posts in this thread I tend to agree.

Well, in that case I guess we'll just have to stop playing until the game works again, because when this is constant the game is completely 100% unplayable.

If the devs actually want to find out what is going on they can just ask the community, and any of the players that experience this constantly can volunteer to demonstrate it for them.

i only have these issues when im carrying specific items and i can reproduce the desync/lag/whatever by carrying specific items, how is is not in relation to said items?

Edited by oxymoron

Well, in that case I guess we'll just have to stop playing until the game works again, because when this is constant the game is completely 100% unplayable.

If the devs actually want to find out what is going on they can just ask the community, and any of the players that experience this constantly can volunteer to demonstrate it for them.

Mate, I advise you to read the thread before posting. His Majesty himself came to the thread and tried to figure out what was going on. He couldn't. He asked the community and any of the players that experienced this to demonstrate it for him. We did. Didn't help. They can't help us because they can't reproduce the problem. This means that, yes, they are aware that something is wrong. But no one in the dev team has the problem and they can't just fly to your house to fix it from your computer.

Mate, I advise you to read the thread before posting. His Majesty himself came to the thread and tried to figure out what was going on. He couldn't. He asked the community and any of the players that experienced this to demonstrate it for him. We did. Didn't help. They can't help us because they can't reproduce the problem. This means that, yes, they are aware that something is wrong. But no one in the dev team has the problem and they can't just fly to your house to fix it from your computer.

Okay, so stop playing then. Got it.

i have had this issue regularly too for a few weeks. it makes it impossible to play at all, and leaves you totally vulnerable to being killed. logging out to try connecting to another server results in being forced to wait 5 minutes thanks to the retarded new rule that doesnt solve the loot problem and still relies on servers restarting.

anyway, i am convinced it is to do with battleye or the server browser. for whatever reason internet cmmunication between the client and server is disrupted completely. It isnt a firewall issue as the game is perfectly playable on other occasions, nor an underlying network software or hardware issue. there is some logic during the connection process that never allows the user or server to snap out of a loop of blocked communication and so it just persists until disconnect or kick.

it could potentially be a port issue, the server browser in dayz is horrendous at seemingly taking over the internet and alt tabbing to browse the web upon clicking refresh can sometimes lead to all internet communication being blocked for a short time. i thought potentially, this might be taking over the port communication, so even when the client joins a server, the port is never freed from the server browser even when communciation ceases.
maybe a simple stop refresh function on the server browser would be tremendously useful and a hard coded kill and disconnect on a client joining a server to ensure the required resources are available for the client to get the updates from the server. if there is a dropped connection temporarily in the update process or cetain packets arent confirmed as having being received, then maybe the server doesnt know how to step back and re-send those packets and the client doesn't know how to ask for them. so they just get kicked after a set time of limited communication. maybe battleye complicates this authentication and update process.

the reason i blame battleye is that the up to date message is never received on server join, so it seems like battleye might have frozen communciation for whatever reason.

however it could just be dayz. generally for me, after leaving a server i need to press escape to go back to the main screen and then go back into the server browser to look for a new server. if i dont do this then the lag? seems much more likely to continue into the next server i join and the problem will be repeated. ni the mod there was an issue with dayz commander opening too many ports for limited routers, which would freeze the internet for the client. i suspect something like this is most likely to blame. it could simply be a timeout on the port for the client/server communication from the server browser that is never resolved when joining a game, so maybe the port used for ingame communication shouldnt be used for the server browser? im just guessing as i have no idea of the process or mechanics involved

also try testing on networks that arent super fast, or a development lan.

i have tried various fixes and its not to do with any items carried, and dayz has full unscanned permission through my firewall. im not disabling a firewall to play a game because thats just dumb

Edited by neutralstalker

I can't figure out the problem no matter how hard i try!
I was playing with my friend, we live pretty far apart like diff continents... we were able to play fine until we reached military barracks south of stary sobor where i was searching the jailhouse and he was searching the barracks.
After a moment my character stopped doing anything he froze and i saw a yellow chain on bottom right of the screen!
I was like wtf, then he told me that he got killed by 2 guys... the thing is as soon as he told me he saw the 2 guys my character stopped working.
And i don't think the problem is because of 4 guys in same place was too much for my net to handle because in the exact same ping i was able to play on 100 players server with 20-30 players running around with me in Elektro.
This problem is so annoying! 
Please Dean hall fix it.
And one other thing i have two friends who live in same place and i am able to play fine with one but when i try to play with another and as soon as he spawns near me i get that yellow chain again and my character stops working.
I live in India and have 4 clan member from America.
2 live in San Francisco, 1 in Minnesota and 1 in New york.
During January i was able to play with all of them fine but starting late Jan i am not able to play with the 1 guy who lives Minnesota and one guy from San Francisco!
As soon as they spawn near my i get that yellow chain and freeze.
It does not make any sense.
The 100 player server i played on was located in USA and no lagg there.
The weird thing is people near me can see what i am doing but not me.
PS:- Excuse my grammar mistakes. Wrote this in a hurry.

Edited by TheLooritngDead

I can't figure out the problem no matter how hard i try!

I was playing with my friend, we live pretty far apart like diff continents... we were able to play fine until we reached military barracks south of stary sobor where i was searching the jailhouse and he was searching the barracks.

After a moment my character stopped doing anything he froze and i saw a yellow chain on bottom right of the screen!

I was like wtf, then he told me that he got killed by 2 guys... the thing is as soon as he told me he saw the 2 guys my character stopped working.

And i don't think the problem is because of 4 guys in same place was too much for my net to handle because in the exact same ping i was able to play on 100 players server with 20-30 players running around with me in Elektro.

This problem is so annoying! 

Please Dean hall fix it.

And one other thing i have two friends who live in same place and i am able to play fine with one but when i try to play with another and as soon as he spawns near me i get that yellow chain again and my character stops working.

I live in India and have 4 clan member from America.

2 live in San Francisco, 1 in Minnesota and 1 in New york.

During January i was able to play with all of them fine but starting late Jan i am not able to play with the 1 guy who lives Minnesota and one guy from San Francisco!

As soon as they spawn near my i get that yellow chain and freeze.

It does not make any sense.

The 100 player server i played on was located in USA and no lagg there.

The weird thing is people are me can see what i am doing but not me.

PS:- Excuse my grammar mistakes. Wrote this in a hurry.

I think 2 guys who kill your friend have ammo box or protector case or first ad kit in backpack

i have 2 ammo boxes 3 protector cases and 2 first aid kits in my inventory :D

so if it is linked to items in backpack then its plausible. however it doesnt happen on every server, and can happen even on empty servers.

I think 2 guys who kill your friend have ammo box or protector case or first ad kit in backpack

I was carrying like 4-5 protector cases!

But it was not freezing until my friend saw those two guys.

Okay, I have the same problems.I bought the game at february 5-6th I don't know, but then I could play normally. Ofcourse I have some this kind of problems but it is fixed itself with a little time. As far as I remember the version noumber was 0.33. Then was a patch wich completly make my game ruined. No matters that I playing alon, or friends this problem is appearing with some time. Few days back I tried to play with friends, and can't see them, can't interract with the world or my invertory, but they can see me, and see what I am doing. Right now I planning to wait a patch.

Alright guys i found something, i have no antivirus installed and i was regularly getting desync in close proximity with other players. Yesterday i disabled the win firewall and gave it a go, no more red/orange chains, sure i got a bit of desync close to another player but the chains stop appearing for good. I hope this helps somehow and hopefully it will get fixed. Btw anyone know what is the desync value for the chain to appear on screen, above 100?!

Nvm desync is back, balls...

For me the failure of communication with the server is caused 100% by protector cases/ammoboxes/medical kits if I pick up more than 2 I will be unable to see other players (who can still see me) and unable to move items in my inventory. If I drag Items from the ground into my inventory they will be in my bags the next time I log in, the same applies to dragging items from my inventory to the ground the items will be on the ground when I log back in. If I do not carry protector cases/medical kits /ammo boxes I can play regularly, up until I come into contact with a player who does at that point I am unable to see other players or interact with my inventory aside form dragging items to it or from it and updating when I log out an in.

I was able to play with some ammo boxes and medical kits a few nights ago I found 8 on a run from Orlovets to NWAF and all was well until I logged out. I thought the issue had been fixed, but when I tried to play the next morning I suffered the usual issue, ditching the boxes and joining a new server solved it. The fact that I was fine until I began playing a character retrieved from the hive may indicate part of the issue lays there.

In the last few days the problem has become so bad that I am kicked from servers in under 5 minutes when suffering this issue, meaning I then get to wait 5 more minutes to attempt to test/fix it

This is game breaking, I am unable to play with many people and anyone who does not suffer from this issue can carry many of the items mentioned and get free kills from people like me.

Rocket this is NOT an issue with my crappy internet/firewall/antivirus as I can play regularly with players who do not have these items or alone on characters without the items as well as play a half dozen other online games with no issues. Something in your game is causing this it may have something to do with the way these items are handled in communication between players and the servers, or it may have something to do with how characters are saved to and retrieved from the hive. Whatever the cause it is an issue with your code or your architecture, NOT MY CRAPPY INTERNET/FIREWALL/ANTIVIRUS. There maybe some relation to my crappy internet in that the communication related to the boxes uses an excessive amount of bandwidth but that again is a problem with YOUR  code/architecture and is not something that I can fix by messing with my settings.

I do suffer from deysnc/latency/bad ping during prime time when my ISP is swamped or during the sync up process that follows loading in (usually passes in under a minute), this issue is persistent and entirely separate from that.

My PC is a bit dated but has no problems with this game or any other outside of this issue.

AMD Fx-4170 4.2ghz

MSI 990fxa-gd80v2 AM3+

RADEON HD 6850

RADEON HD 6850

16GB DDR3 (8x2)

OCZ agility 120GB SSD

Antivirus, have tried with it on and off and with different antivirus programs, problem persists

Firewalls, have tried with my PC firewall and router firewall disabled, problem persists

windows 7 home premium

ISP=http://www.rhinocommunications.net/

0.97-1.40mbs down 0.30-0.40mbs up doesn't matter if I am playing when the ISP load is low or high (that is what causes the fluctuations)

I want to alpha test and play your game, but when you come in here and dismiss it as my internet/firewall/antivirus it really pisses me off.

Knars video illustrates the exact issue.

Edit: just did a little more testing with 4 friends,  bandwidth usage when in contact with players using these items skyrockets observed it as high as 1500, deysnc skyrockets, this is after playing on the same server for over an hour issue free.

Edited by Franchi

For me this is getting worse, it used to just happen to me when I joined a server, and forced me to eventually give up. Now it's happening when I actually get into a server and at some point I might desync like crazy and have to give up. Right clicking an inventory item takes about 1 minute to maybe get a reply back. So something is happening, and it seems like my upload request for item info is getting shoved into an infinite loop of bullshit.

I recently put a medkit inside a protector case which might be the reason for the worsening situation. I still have 2 medkits/3 protector cases/2 ammo boxes

But dayZ still has a serious issue with bandwidth. The server browser is ridiculous and literally kills my internet when I refresh servers so that no other application has net access until the server list updates. But the actual traffic is very low, so i am sure the ports are just swamped with requests so nothing gets through. I think this is the main issue regarding the desyncing, communication with the server is lost 99% of the time, but not 100% so the player isn't kicked but the game is impossible to play. Whether the rest of the traffic is residue form the server browser, battleye blocking, lag from processing infintiely repeating ammo box contents, lost packets that are never re-sent or something else i have no idea.

Edited by neutralstalker

i played smoothly for a couple of days, but also suddenly got this issue. while reading around, it might be because i picked up a ammo box, first aid kit, and protector case, i dont know which one of them is causing it. and i manage to fixed it by dropping them. dont know why. . .

Hey all guys, I think I find the reason. First I want to know how much bandwidth when you are in game (Press P and loock at bandwidth). I always have under 100 bandwidth and this issue happen. I think if we can increase bandwidth used in game, this problem solved. But I dont know how.

This is my speedtest. When I play Dayz, Dayz use very low bandwidth

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3312182689

Edited by ColByKid

Hey all guys, I think I find the reason. First I want to know how much bandwidth when you are in game (Press P and loock at bandwidth). I always have under 100 bandwidth and this issue happen. I think if we can increase bandwidth used in game, this problem solved. But I dont know how.

This is my speedtest. When I play Dayz, Dayz use very low bandwidth

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3312182689

The problem is caused by items flooding the bandwidth, not by the game not using bandwidth, you cannot check your bandwidth in-game yourself, it often doesn't update properly when suffering this issue get a friend on who is far away from you in game to check it for you or use a usage monitoring tool.

I read through the whole thread last night.

• There is no unified experience of symptoms or problems.
  • There is a collection of client/server communication interruption problems that are probably a litany of different issues.

Without a clear definition, yelling "fix it now!" will not get anything fixed. Right now, based on what appears to be client/server communication interruption I would say most of the issues experienced here are caused either:

• Bandwidth issues at the client end. DayZ currently utilizes a great deal of bandwidth to send information. This could mean that low-bandwidth connections are getting choked with information. While bandwidth optimization is ongoing, to test this theory we would need a problem computer to be tested on a known-good connection.
  • Network Environment client side. Certainly firewall/router/isp settings and environment could cause at least some of the issues described in this thread. Again, the only way these could be confirmed would be by trying a computer at a known-good connection.

While I can understand you might be upset, I am sure you can understand it is very important for us to be clear about the specific issues. If we are not, and a whole bunch of non-similar issues are grouped together, then we will not be able to separate causes out specifically identify the problems. Without identifying the problems there is absolutely no hope to identify a solution.

i only get desync when i have clear kills.

friends get killed, enemy goes to loot i start to shoot them all, they are not fully dead = boom server starts to lag and minute later enemy who were infront of me are now behind ready to kill me.

my bet is that some have found a way to abuse it to get out of dying probably dossing servers

Edited by LaxeCas

Heres a big update on this bug, I managed to confirm one thing, IT IS NOT inventory or save related!!!!

Heres why, i asked a friend to use my account and i used his, he never had the problem before and got 6 containers and it worked fine for him.
While i've always had the problem after 4 or more containers + re connecting (the initial time I play is fine, or new spawns) the only time i get this is when i have already collected enough containers or spawn NEAR enough of them.and then i Login it happens.

So when i used my friends account and collect enough containers, geuss what it happened again.

So to summarise what do we know so far?

- The containers definitely trigger the bug on a new synchronization (or connection) to the servers.

- It is something in OUR network configuration / PC that is CAUSING the RARENESS of it.

- It is NOT the saved CHARACTER AND/OR ITEM that gets bugged.

- It is related to the VICINITY of the player, as some spawn where you MIGHT be near some containers (on a Player OR GROUND?)

- Approximately 3-6 containers are required for this to occur, it probably varies on the configuration issue.

- What happens is the connection with the server, is maintained but ONE-SIDED, thep layer can communicate to the server.

- BUT the server tries and fails to communicate back OR the player fails to RECEIVE it.

I am willing to help the developers pinpoint this issue personally, if they contact me.

I hope you all put a bit more priority towards this issue.

Regards.

Edited by Lord_Meshadieme

It seems that the problem is down to protector cases/ ammo boxes/ medkits to a degree.

I always noticed how high my bandwidth was compared to most other players when I press P. I have a fully kitted out character, and it seems Dayz hasn't optimised its netcode in anyway. Players with only a handful of items have much lower bandwidth compared to kitted out players. I have lots of items and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

So when players experience intense lag/desync when a certain character approaches or they get in a fight with them, I imagine it is because they are downloading that player's inventory which kills their connection, this migh tnot be noticed on users with better connections until the bullets start flying and the bandwidth demands become too much. When players lose connection with the server on joining maybe there is packet loss when the inventory is being uploaded/downlaoded which is either never corrected or takes a long time to reset.

The easiest solution to the desync issue I think would be for the dayz team to concentrate on fixing the games shoddy netcode and being such a horrible bandwidth hog. I dont understand why an inventory loadout could possibly demand such a high capacity network. Surely a simple csv file would suffice to record a players inventory and be only a few kilobytes in size.

This thread has some interesting observations on DayZ's network demands.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174589-ingame-bandwidth-what-is-it/

If battleye has any involvement in this then maybe it checks player's inventories? The problem seems to have gotten worse since the last patch. One bug with the last patch is with the ammo emptying/combining being incorrect and generating 0 when it should give a positive integer. What happens to those disappeared rounds in the game logic? Yesterday I had to swap a backpack because I had invisble slots taken up by these phantom rounds despite them being invisible in th eloadout, which had never happened before. Maybe this is linked, or at least highlights a problem. I have a lot of 5.56mm ammo that is 30+ in number despite 30 being the max possible supposedly. However emptying a high capacity mag will give that number of rounds in one slot. If the bug is with inventories then this could complicate the resolution process.

And an option to limit the server browser's port usage would be nice too.

Edited by neutralstalker

It seems that the problem is down to protector cases/ ammo boxes/ medkits to a degree.

I always noticed how high my bandwidth was compared to most other players when I press P. I have a fully kitted out character, and it seems Dayz hasn't optimised its netcode in anyway. Players with only a handful of items have much lower bandwidth compared to kitted out players. I have lots of items and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

So when players experience intense lag/desync when a certain character approaches or they get in a fight with them, I imagine it is because they are downloading that player's inventory which kills their connection, this migh tnot be noticed on users with better connections until the bullets start flying and the bandwidth demands become too much. When players lose connection with the server on joining maybe there is packet loss when the inventory is being uploaded/downlaoded which is either never corrected or takes a long time to reset.

The easiest solution to the desync issue I think would be for the dayz team to concentrate on fixing the games shoddy netcode and being such a horrible bandwidth hog. I dont understand why an inventory loadout could possibly demand such a high capacity network. Surely a simple csv file would suffice to record a players inventory and be only a few kilobytes in size.

This thread has some interesting observations on DayZ's network demands.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174589-ingame-bandwidth-what-is-it/

Dean Hall said devs team have nothing to do with this issue :(