(TMW) Merino

Merino's In-Depth Video Guides (Feb 11th: Updated to 0.34.115106 New Status Indicators, Rebalancing of Hunger, Thirst, Stomach, Blood and Health Reg)

Still curious how fast we actually go.

By combining this data and data from your hunger/thirst/stomach video we could more or less reliably convert food into the distance you can travel using it. This can be useful in situations when you are extremely limited in terms of resources and space (i.e. surviving without backpack, for instance, or carrying supplies for a newly spawned friend). So yay.

• Like 1

Uuuh I get all giddy when I see numbers going in on one side, science happening and different numbers coming out the other side - good job :)

• Like 2

Jeah Mr. White, Science! B)

thx for research, very useful :thumbsup:

got a question: How did u gather the basic data?

like Health max is 5000 or vomiting losses 1000 Water etc.?

thx anyway

Edited by mammut

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

now we're talking B)

thx and have my :beans:

Hey Merino.

Thx for your work and those awesome videos! You have my beans :beans: !

Would you also do one about all the medical stuff and when to use it. Like the injection vial and all the different tablets.

all the best

Captain Miles

New video:

All Medical Items - To keep or not to keep?

Jump markers:

0:40 Alcohol Tincture

2:10 Tetracycline Antibiotics

2:41 Bandages

3:26 Blood Bag IVs and Saline Bag IVs

5:03 Charcoal Tablets

6:00 Defibrilator and Epinephrine (Update: Defibs work as intended in 0.31.114500)

9:33 Disinfectant Spray

10:28 Injection Vial

10:42 IV Starter Kits

11:15 Morphine and Medical Splints

12:18 Painkillers

12:35 Syringes

12:47 Vitamins

13:20 Water Purification Tablets

13:48 Conclusion - What to keep and what not to keep?

Edited by (TMW) Merino
  • Like 7

Great job as always, any tip on what you will do next? balistics maybe?

Great job as always, any tip on what you will do next? balistics maybe?

I'm not sure yet. One big thing on my list is revising my first two videos and updating them to the current builds and including various bits and pieces of knowledge gained from the following videos. Also, I'd like to break them up into 2-3 parts to make future edits easier and to provide a shorter overview that does not give numbers for those who aren't interested in the details plus the option to view the more detailed, up to date part with the current numbers. Not sure about how I could do that, but I'm thinking about it.

I think I covered all topics about your characters' well being now, so other than maintaining the existing ones I'm waiting for the update that brings infectious diseases. That's obviously going to be a big topic.

n the meantime I might in fact turn towards ballistics, but I cannot give a time frame for that. Not an easy one for me as somebody who usually doesn't even carry a gun, but I'll give it a shot (pun intended).

• Like 1

Love the new video! I see you made a brief mention of severe food poisoning, listing berries as a cause for it, I imagine you'll be breaking up the sickness video into 3-4 videos (light, medium, severe food, and chemical poisonings)? Can't wait to see how brutal severe food poisoning is, and any cures/mitigations that might work, especially when I ponder whether or not we'll be able to harvest fruit off the orchard south of Berezino..

Keep up the good work :)

I'm having a pretty hard time deciding what a good granularity for the videos would be. I am in fact thinking about having a central one per big topic (e.g. sicknesses, hunger/thirst, blood/health, in the future transmissible diseases) that covers the general basics and then several specialized ones for people who want the details which are listed inside the main ones. I'll probably sketch some ways of doing this over the weekend.

Anyway, I was asked about severe food poisoning a while back, so I already plotted the graph for it shortly after my video on sicknesses. Here it is - quite similar in severity to chemical poisoning.

DKJB3OL.png

Edited by (TMW) Merino
  • Like 5

Merino, Could you see what happens when you spray dissinfectant spray onto an open can of food and then eat it?

• Like 1

Merino, Could you see what happens when you spray dissinfectant spray onto an open can of food and then eat it?

FOR SCIENCE!!!

Hello,

great videos! Very informative +beans

One question though: You mentioned berries as a source of food poisoning. Have you tried this? If yes, where did you find berries and how did you collect them? Ihave been running around for quite some time only to come up empty...

I salute you good sir, this was a much needed insight to the new intricacies of DayZ SA. My only fear now is how much more complicated this game has yet to become, but with someone such as yourself heading the medical research department of DayZ SA, I feel those of us who take the time to admire your hard work and efforts will have the best chances of survival in the harsh world of gun toting, gas mask wearing, jerks who... die with a backpack full of food. To many victories!

Hello,

great videos! Very informative +beans

One question though: You mentioned berries as a source of food poisoning. Have you tried this? If yes, where did you find berries and how did you collect them? Ihave been running around for quite some time only to come up empty...

Unfortunately I wasn't able to locate them myself despite looking for several hours and after googling a lot and not being able to find any external references or direct witnesses in TeamSpeak, I'm pretty sure they aren't active in the game yet. They are in the code though, which is where I found their stats, including the chance to cause severe food poisoning.

I salute you good sir, this was a much needed insight to the new intricacies of DayZ SA. My only fear now is how much more complicated this game has yet to become, but with someone such as yourself heading the medical research department of DayZ SA, I feel those of us who take the time to admire your hard work and efforts will have the best chances of survival in the harsh world of gun toting, gas mask wearing, jerks who... die with a backpack full of food. To many victories!

Thanks! I intend to accompany DayZ during its entire development and afterwards, for as long as my time to do it permits. I'm really looking forward to more topics to tackle, especially the infectious diseases that are on the horizon.

• Like 3

Made an account on the forum just to say a very very big THANK YOU!!!

This is incredibly helpful for a new DayZ player, like myself, who hasn't played the mod either.

Can of beans for you good sir  :beans:  :D

Edited by Exention

Hey Merino,

I'm a big fan of yours and a TMW recruit as well. Thank you for the great info. I was curious about the new stomach and hunger changes that are coming.

1. Have you even played on experimental yet?
  2. Do you think the changes are enough to warrant a new experiment?
  3. Were you investigating this now in "experimental", or if you were waiting until the "stable" patch.
  4. Are you possibly planning on waiting a few patches to make sure the changes "stick" before you re-do the whole experiment?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you so much.

• Like 1

I want to know the same things as Wolfgang I know you are busy and are probably doing it all. I just feel bad that they keep changing the stomach so much before you can update your shit. Dont worry I will rage for you lol just kidding good luck and have fun.

These tutorials so displays the depth of the game , I feel as if going back to school again to study survivalism.

Pretty awesome to see there's people out there who experiment with this health issue like you do.

The people in your team are Lucky to have such a dedicated person aside them.

I take off my (atm) pink hat and bow deeply to you sir for being a teacher in medical treatment.

Good luck with trying to keep this up with the updates to become, your efforts are clearly helping a lot of people out bigtime !

And they give me hope, knowing there's still survivors out there who keep their humanity/empathy.

Hey Merino,

I'm a big fan of yours and a TMW recruit as well. Thank you for the great info. I was curious about the new stomach and hunger changes that are coming.

1. Have you even played on experimental yet?
  2. Do you think the changes are enough to warrant a new experiment?
  3. Were you investigating this now in "experimental", or if you were waiting until the "stable" patch.
  4. Are you possibly planning on waiting a few patches to make sure the changes "stick" before you re-do the whole experiment?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you so much.

I want to know the same things as Wolfgang I know you are busy and are probably doing it all. I just feel bad that they keep changing the stomach so much before you can update your shit. Dont worry I will rage for you lol just kidding good luck and have fun.

1. No, I have not been on the exerimental servers yet. I've been pretty sick for about a week and only returned to work yesterday to catch up on some stuff. This weekend I'm back to DayZ and the videos.

2. Yes and no. It is possible to see a number of changes directly in the files, namely how they changed the stomach values and the indicators and the requirements for blood and health regeneration. I annotated those changes soon after the patchnotes were available, but there are a few things in the notes that I'm not sure about. Those will require new experimentation, definitely.

3+4. I wanted to get the last video on medical items out while the patch was still in experimental to make it as up to date as possible. A few hours (!) later there were news about a new experimental build that already made some information obsolete, namely the function of the defib, and another build the next day after. I decided after that to do gather all the information during experimental and prepare as much as I can, but not release the video until the current experimental build hits live and keep it up to date until then. Since the current experimental build is scheduled for 5-7 February, wednesday to friday next week, I plan to release revised versions of my older videos probably by next weekend.

@Kaserin The stomach changes weren't that sweeping: maximum capacity is the same, thresholds reduced, indicators implemented. One interesting aspect though is that overeating heavily will now cause you to vomit multiple times. The reason is simple: The maximum capacity is 4000, the threshold for vomiting was 3900, for fully stuffed 3500 and you lose 500 stomach volume when you vomit. Due to the cap of 4000, unless you continued to eat or drink while already vomiting, you would usually only vomit once, maybe twice. Now you start vomiting at 3300, need to drop below 2800 and still lose 500 per vomit. But now instead of a "buffer" of 100 volume (3900 > 4000) you can actually put 700 more volume into your stomach (3300 > 4000) so it's possible to overdrink/overeat much more and to vomit multiple times. Remember that vomiting is also a heavy drain on energy and especially water. Vomiting three times would cause you to lose 3000 water and your stomach is still so full that you can't replenish your water levels, making vomiting a serious threat to cause dehydration now if you are careless about your stomach.

• Like 1