(TMW) Merino

Merino's In-Depth Video Guides (Feb 11th: Updated to 0.34.115106 New Status Indicators, Rebalancing of Hunger, Thirst, Stomach, Blood and Health Reg)

So one sip from canteen is 200 water (1 use = 20%?) and a sip from water pump is 100 water, did I get it right? Very good videos!!

That is correct :)

• Like 1

I think the water pump is 5 milliliters(units).

Anyways rated the videos on Steam.

Thanks for the votes :)

Not quite about those ml units on the game. Those stem from the number of uses an item has internally, which is 10 for canteens. Drinking from it once consumes two of its uses. I'm pretty sure this will be (display-wise) converted to a proper amount later, such as 1000ml and drinking 200ml with each sip. Drinking from ponds and pumps would then be 100ml each, which would somewhat make sense.

• Like 2

Hey Merino, I saw your video about health/blood regen yesterday (after Googlebashing out of desperation) as my character had spent many hours viewing Chernarus in greyscale (fucking Zeds!). Thanks to your stupendously informative videos, he's now viewing the World in full colour again and is much healthier for it so you have my gratification.

You have my beans, and if I ever meet you around Chernarus I shall help you out if I can.  :thumbsup:  :beans:

A question about the stomach. When you drink water does it fill your stomach as you get a message saying: i feel completly full? And is it possible to stuff your stomach only with water and be starving because of it? Still little confused about how the stomach works :|

the stomach is just storage device limiting how much you can eat or drink. Your stomach oddly enough has nothing to do with hunger(energy in dayz)

so to answer your question yes you can fill your stomach full of water preventing you from being able to ear or drink anymore for risk of vomiting making you even hungrier

This said you can be "i'm completely full" and "i'm dying of starvation" at the same time if you filled your stomach with only water

I know this is already posted somewhere but here http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Consumables

This gives you all the values of food including the stomach value(or space required in your stomach to eat, to make it simpler). The stomach has either 4000 or 5000 units of storage i forget which. when you get the first messages of being full you are fin just stop eating as continuing to do so will make you sick and start vomiting.

It has been said (but not confirmed as far as i know) that the stomach empties at a rate of 1 per second allowing more food/water to be had

Edited by Ynneead

Thank you, actually got the same information as I watched the video again. So water takes half the amount stomach space than it gives you water. Eating a pack of rice you want to drink a full canteen of water taking total 1500 space in stomach and giving you 3700+ energy.

So it is wise to eat and drink all the while and not all at once as you'll stuff your stomach pretty easily that way.

Edited by the-kuutti

ya water is pretty easy to manage since when you get your first thirsty message you are at 2000 water so either 2 canteens or 20 sips from a well will fill.

However the hungry messages don't start happening until about 600 energy so its hard to gauge it.

Great Guide, but where are you getting the information? As much as I have searched I have not found any information published by the devs outlining how the system works. The exact numbers, figures and calculations.

The only numbers i know for sure are the food numbers as those are in the game files. So i can assume that the max values of each are also in there somewhere but i haven't seen for myself

So i cannot say how anyone got the player max values. But after those get confirmed then the rest is just examination ei how long food lasts until a hungry message pops up.

So if anyone knows how the players stats came to be that would answer your question

Great Guide, but where are you getting the information? As much as I have searched I have not found any information published by the devs outlining how the system works. The exact numbers, figures and calculations.

Part of it is in the game files, and the other part is from copious amounts testing in game, with many Merino corpses piling up.

• Like 1

My assistants find particular enjoyment in lining up my corpses like a human centipede during ballistic tests. Not sure if that is sufficient reason to initiate a study in human psychology but it was certainly worth a lot of laughs. And yes, a lot of the raw numbers come from the game files. I try to put them into context and make them understandable so we can put that information to use while actually playing and making better decisions in the game by being aware of how the mechanics are tied together.

• Like 1

Ballistics test? Merino, are you working on some firearm-related videos?

Ballistics test? Merino, are you working on some firearm-related videos?

Haha, only with a very low priority. I needed some help in an experiment that involved several blood bags and saline IVs. But rather than one assistant, three arrived and I didn't want them to have run across the map for nothing. So we did a few ballistic tests at Solnichniy and I survived at least one of them - showing that a ballistic helmet does catch a single 5.56mm bullet. But... only one. At least the spawn points are pretty close to the testing range *cough*

• Like 1

Oh, I see.

BTW, ballistic helmet stops only one 5.56, ok. So, it is not enough to stop 7.62? Is there distance in this "equation"? Any info on vests?

Yep, I read part about low priority, but still :)

Edited by Ranadaine

What would be interesting to test is how much protection the ballistic and motorcycle helmet offer. Does the location of the round matter? Like will a bike helmet protect against one .45 round? (Weakest round in the S.A. atm)

Does the shot placement matter? Like will the bullet hitting the helmet square on or in the visor (Which I think is weaker IRL) do more damage compared to one that glances off the side? Does distance from the shooter effect the amount of damage? etc.

New videos available, this time explaining the 'sick' status by taking a close look at food and chemical poisoning plus a bonus time lapse video of what surviving chemical poisoning looks like:

Understanding Sicknesses and Surviving Poisoning

Time Lapse of Chemical Poisoning

Edited by (TMW) Merino
  • Like 5

Woo for sickness. I like the music you put in the time lapse video, suits hugging a well for dear life. Surprised no one went to your well through the entirety of the sickness.

thanks for all your videos and experiments bro, it's required viewing for anyone;  veteran and bambi. hero and bandit.

You sir are the Einstein of Dayz the Da Vinci of Dayz anatomy & medicine keep up the great work. Also please can you make the in-depth guides more in-depth and complex. I just love science-y guides with data and information out the wazoo.

Edit: I forgot to say that you're team is also very amazing. The people who help you figure this stuff out are the great support system of any true scientist good job all.

Edited by KaserinSmarte67
  • Like 1

Infinite beans to you sir :beans:

Amazing videos, thanks for taking the time to research all of this.

Amazing work, keep it going.

You said that you were gonna slow the pace but considering the complexity of sickness you have pulled it out quite fast.

So that leaves antibiotics and alcohol for infected wounds, splint or morphine for broken legs, epinephrine and defibrilator for... lowering current shock value and thus curing some types of unconciousness??

And... vitamins? what are they for?

Hope that answers come in the next video.

In the mean time i'm conducting some speed test to know real (km/h) speeds, I'll let you know the results, but turns out our characters could easily beat the marathon's world record.

Edited by Pinx0

our characters could also run at sprinting speed for up to 3 hours and 40 minutes until they are out of water

Amazing work, keep it going.

You said that you were gonna slow the pace but considering the complexity of sickness you have pulled it out quite fast.

Well I already had a lot of data from research for previous videos that I could base this on, so it only took about a week's worth of evenings.

So that leaves antibiotics and alcohol for infected wounds, splint or morphine for broken legs, epinephrine and defibrilator for... lowering current shock value and thus curing some types of unconciousness??

And... vitamins? what are they for?

Hope that answers come in the next video.

They will :)

In the mean time i'm conducting some speed test to know real (km/h) speeds, I'll let you know the results, but turns out our characters could easily beat the marathon's world record.

That's great - I still have that on my to do list, but haven't gotten to it yet. I somewhat expected that the speed and/or the supposed scale of the map isn't that realistic, but that's obviously for gameplay reasons so I'm personally fine with it. Still curious how fast we actually go. Edited by (TMW) Merino
  • Like 2