(TMW) Merino

Merino's In-Depth Video Guides (Feb 11th: Updated to 0.34.115106 New Status Indicators, Rebalancing of Hunger, Thirst, Stomach, Blood and Health Reg)

Thank you for the response sorry to hear you were sick glad you are doing better now. Good information on the vomiting stuff now that I know the values better I can do a better job at not vomit thank you kindly.  :D

Another thing though do you think the stuffed is bugged at the moment in experimental? Its seems it is stuck on stuffed once you reached it no matter how many times I vomit or not eat drink for a long while. 

• Like 1

Yes, it is extremely likely that it is bugged. Not the status per se, but it is suffering from the same circumstances that other conditions without a defined duration do: They only trigger upon fulfilling their criteria and are overwritten when something else in the same "slot" gets triggered. But there is nothing that removes them, no "exit condition". I haven't played enough in the past few days to have observed it myself, but now that you mention it, it was highly likely to happen that way, yes.

• Like 3

Any chance of an updated video on the new food/health mechanic in the latest patch 0.33.114926? It seems to be totally different to the previous version, and I've not been able to figure a lot of it out yet.

Thanks for the very informative and easy to understand videos to date.

A somewhat unfortunate heads up: The 0.33.114926 build came with a number of changes that make future videos a whole lot more difficult.

The most notable change: "Systems: Hunger and Thirst slightly modified" is quite an understatement. As far as I can tell pretty much anything related to it plus possibly a lot or even everything about blood and health as well is not in sync with the (client's) game files anymore which means cross-checking observations and quickly coming up with precise numbers is now impossible. That means it's back to a lot more experimentation, but with the decreased (and still decreasing) loot spawns that is going to become even more time consuming. Time which I don't really have in surplus.

But if that change is what it takes to make things more flexible, versatile and less prone to issues I'm perfectly fine with that and will of course continue to try to come up with interesting bits of knowledge about the game in the future.

VGrmnA.png

Still, with the new indicators in the game it is now a lot easier to keep track of the condition of your character and the in-depth explanation is probably not neccessary anymore. I'll have to consider that in a revised version and do some restructuring. Originally I had planned to update all my videos to the most recent numbers based on the stable build until the weekend, but that's not possible anymore now. There are a few changes in the current patchnotes plus more changes in the game that aren't listed explicitly that I'll have to verify manually first.

Edited by (TMW) Merino
  • Like 2

Merino, can you check what happens when you spray dissinfectent spray into an open can of food? For science of course

Merino, can you check what happens when you spray dissinfectent spray into an open can of food? For science of course

Sure can do, just ran a few tests:

1. Spray disinfectant on closed can of tuna, open can, eat: No effect

2. Spray disinfectant on open can of tuna, eat: No effect

3. Spray disinfectant on an apple, eat: No effect

4. Drink disinfectant: Chemical poisoning

Times died, for science: +1

This really was to be expected. It's the drinking/force-feeding that triggers the poisoning, but using it on another item does not pass on the poisoning property to this item. When there are transmissible diseases in the game that adhere to people and items, disinfectant spray is most likely going reduce those, reducing the chance of getting an infection from interacting with this item.

• Like 3

Unfortunately I wasn't able to locate them myself despite looking for several hours and after googling a lot and not being able to find any external references or direct witnesses in TeamSpeak, I'm pretty sure they aren't active in the game yet. They are in the code though, which is where I found their stats, including the chance to cause severe food poisoning.

Her is a video of what the GOOD berry bushes look like ONLY eat from them DO NOT at from their green cousins they are toxic.

The good ones are auburn looking like weed plant with red dots the bad ones looke similar but are bright green with no dots on them choose wisely or you will end up like this.

indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-you-c

Edit: Another thing to note the new experimental builds will fix the status not updating proper so YAY for that. Also word of advice on how to NOT to get stuffed and vomit you should SLOWLY drink water until you get the DARK GREEN HYDRATED then STOP. Start eating food SLOWLY that also gives you hydration until you see a DARK GREEN ENERGIZED. Then from there SLOWLY either eat and drink till you are BRIGHT GREEN or close to it then STOP eating or drinking. DO NOT SPAM eating or drinking be cautious and do not be a glutton then you should be fine.

Edited by KaserinSmarte67
  • Like 1

Edit: Another thing to note the new experimental builds will fix the status not updating proper so YAY for that. Also word of advice on how to NOT to get stuffed and vomit you should SLOWLY drink water until you get the DARK GREEN HYDRATED then STOP. Start eating food SLOWLY that also gives you hydration until you see a DARK GREEN ENERGIZED. Then from there SLOWLY either eat and drink till you are BRIGHT GREEN or close to it then STOP eating or drinking. DO NOT SPAM eating or drinking be cautious and not a glutton then you should be fine.

Good points, good points.

One more thing I've been working on:

114926: 

- Actions: reviving with epinephrine or defibrillator works also if player blood is below 500 units of blood

I was wondering what they might have changed for this to work and ran some tests. The result: It does not work, at least epi pens still do not have an effect for people below 500 blood.

• Like 1

Merino, one thing that I was wondering. What medical items can be used as a weapon/poison and the way the can be used(like my poisoned beans question). I'll help if you don't have anything against it. I wanna help science too (unfortunally I suck at scavenging medical items and lack a partner for this)!

Edited by Zatilla7

Merino, one thing that I was wondering. What medical items can be used as a weapon/poison and the way the can be used(like my poisoned beans question). I'll help if you don't have anything against it. I wanna help science too (unfortunally I suck at scavenging medical items and lack a partner for this)!

Well you can't use anything to lay traps for people to find if you mean that.

Medical items you need to be careful with:

1. Alcohol Tincture drinking/force drinking, causes medium or light food poisoning

2. Disinfectant Spray drinking/force drinking, causes chemical poisoning

3. Incompatible blood bag IVs, cause hemolytic reaction

4. Defibrilators on conscious people: Cause excessive shock and unconsciousness

All other medical items either don't have a negative effect (anymore, charcoal tabs, tetracycline, tincture don't cause sickness on use anymore, which was unintended anyway) or no effect at all.

At some point you could add poison berries to the list. Not really a medical item but they do cause severe food poisoning and according to a comment in the files they might become actual items in the inventory at some point and would be force feedable then. They aren't yet since the devs are worried about not being able to control the amount of items on the server since an infinite amount of berries could be spawned, causing all kinds of problems.

Hello, have you been able to figure out how much water/energy berries give?

70 energy, 4 water, 40 volume according to the files for 114926. Was 3 energy, 4 water, 10 volume in 114557. 

I wonder if they forgot to change the water value as well since it's still the same and oddly low.

Excellent job mate

if i had your guide last night i would probably have all my gear now :)

Keep up the good work, and yell if you need a experiment subject ;)

You know Merino, Thanks to you I've decided to start doing some research within DayZ SA by myself. Although you have the medical field covered so I think I'll go into battle mechanics, the way loot works, ballistics and general stuff to make you and your gear as battle ready as possible. For science of course. But first I need to get some gear, I just died (face on desktop)

Edited by Zatilla7

You know Merino, Thanks to you I've decided to start doing some research within DayZ SA by myself. Although you have the medical field covered so I think I'll go into battle mechanics, the way loot works, ballistics and general stuff to make you and your gear as battle ready as possible. For science of course. But first I need to get some gear, I just died (face on desktop)

In that case if you haven't yet make sure you read up on Gews' threads that are also mentioned in the current patch notes such as http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/157148-correcting-sa-ballistics/ and http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/user/131293-gews/

Also, I did some more research on the latest build 115106 for some more details on the patch notes, this might be helpful to you:

- properties of ammunition types have changed dramatically, I suppose initSpeed refers to muzzle velocity and therefore probably has major implications for trajectories and damage potential

- .357 260 > 360
- 22LR 1000 > 380
- 7.62x51 930 > 860
- 7.62x39 930 > 730
- 5.56x45 930 > 884
- 12gauge 900 > 404 (!)
- .45ACP 930 > 260 (!!)

- This might mean that the FNX45 lost a substantial amount of damage and range, Magnum packs more punch, rifle rounds took a slight hit - needs testing
- On top of this, the airFriction parameters for the different rounds have changed by the factor 10 and more in some cases which might (partially) counteract the changes to muzzle velocity
Edited by (TMW) Merino

In that case if you haven't yet make sure you read up on Gews' threads that are also mentioned in the current patch notes such as http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/157148-correcting-sa-ballistics/ and http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/user/131293-gews/

Also, I did some more research on the latest build 115106 for some more details on the patch notes, this might be helpful to you:

- properties of ammunition types have changed dramatically, I suppose initSpeed refers to muzzle velocity and therefore probably has major implications for trajectories and damage potential

- .357 260 > 360
- 22LR 1000 > 380
- 7.62x51 930 > 860
- 7.62x39 930 > 730
- 5.56x45 930 > 884
- 12gauge 900 > 404 (!)
- .45ACP 930 > 260 (!!)

- This might mean that the FNX45 lost a substantial amount of damage and range, Magnum packs more punch, rifle rounds took a slight hit - needs testing
- On top of this, the airFriction parameters for the different rounds have changed by the factor 10 and more in some cases which might (partially) counteract the changes to muzzle velocity

Thanks. Once I've gathered some gear up i'll check the practical effects of ammo. But since you seem very fammiler with the effects of blood/health loss I would appreciate if you could help me with checking the results. 

A few more things I just noticed. When I spawned in I was not Thristy but Hungry, I think it's because of a change in spawning in water and food or at the level that Hungry and Thirsty appere, also after drincking alot from the nearest pond I got the Hydrated status which I think is new. 

I found a bit of a trick regarding the blood IV bag kits.

If somebody is unconscious, draw blood FROM them, then give the same blood back to them. They wake up. My boyfriend and I discovered that one the other night by accident. Maybe not the best use of supplies if you have better options available to you but it works in a pinch.

Edited by HumanDecency

I found a bit of a trick regarding the blood IV bag kits.

If somebody is unconscious, draw blood FROM them, then give the same blood back to them. They wake up. My boyfriend and I discovered that one the other night by accident. Maybe not the best use of supplies if you have better options available to you but it works in a pinch.

This is true, however some may consider this an exploit or bug, as you're drawing blood from someone who has 0 blood.  You're free to do what you like, but TMW won't be using it in the field.

some may consider this an exploit or bug, as you're drawing blood from someone who has 0 blood.

I have no idea where the blood level was between 0 and 499 before blood was drawn. I'm still figuring out the game as I got it a few days ago and had at least wanted to share that I stumbled on this being possible, including sharing it with bug fixers who may want to make drawing blood below 0 impossible if that is how what my bf did managed to revive me.

". . . the devs are worried about not being able to control the amount of items on the server since an infinite amount of berries could be spawned, causing all kinds of problems."

Well, that's an easy fix. Just add something that goes around eating a lot of the berries, like a black bear or the Gobbler from Don't Starve.

My next set of videos is dedicated to all the changes, additions, rebalancing of your hunger and thirst as well as your stomach levels. New status indicators now show up for high hydration and when you are energized, but what do they actually mean? And how can you use them in very few simple rules to manage your rebalanced blood and health regeneration? Also, while a lot has been fixed by now, there are still glitches about those topics around. I'll explain when and why they happen and what you should be aware of in DayZ 0.34.115106.

New Status Effects for Energized and Hydrated explained

0:40 Changelog
1:51 Your Bodily Storages
3:43 Water
8:34 Energy
12:20 Stomach
16:13 Summary

Blood and Health Regeneration demystified

1:13 Changelog
2:15 Regeneration in general
2:40 Slow Blood Regeneration
5:04 Full Blood Regeneration
6:14 Health Regeneration
8:07 Status Indicator Glitches
10:13 Summary
  • Like 3

Truely some of the most impressive guides ever done. Learned so many new things while already spend about 50 houres ingame...