lev

Third person view removal from SA discussion

Right now I think TPV NEEDS to stay in. there are too many glitches in first person right now, I this one affects thrid person users too, but its the main reason I dont use first person, when you move certain ways, ADS or not, your camera clips into some part of the player model almost completely blocking your view, which could be disastrous in combat 

People keep saying fpv is clunky and now you're saying it's glitchy... I don't understand it. It works completely fine for me. /shrug

People keep saying fpv is clunky and now you're saying it's glitchy... I don't understand it. It works completely fine for me. /shrug

mainly when im ADS and moving around my view clips into my body all the time, and it happens sometimes when im not in ADS too, so until thats fixed I just use third person

third_person_argument.png

And this doesn't even include the area ABOVE a player (seeing over walls and whatnot)

EDIT - Oh wait, the side angle one does :P

Edited by serenityrick

TPV itself is no exploit. The use of it in PvP combat comes close to something like exploiting and people tend to use terms losely...just as yourself.

And there is no "own servers" or "refusal". There's just not enough populated FPV only servers to be called even remotely satisfying. Reasons have been provided generously in this thread already.

Not yet, there will be soon.

But looking back at the mod, first person players were pretty disloyal to first person servers.

• Like 2

That doesn't solve the root issue.

1st person players - force it because of x,y,z

3rd person players - pls don't force it

The last topic for me has proven that you cant really discuss the matter with 1st person lover. In the very first place, they are not willing to accept any point that 3rd person player brought in. Something like "looks more appealing" is not accepted as being any kind of reason why someone would favour 3rd person.

And hey, who on earth ever favoured something because it looks better? Cars, jeans, boots, Jackets ... no one cares how things look. Never.

Then arguments like "I favour to see my character doing survival things, totally enhances the immersion, since this is a survival game." Just is being loughed at, since like already said, no one ever cares to look at things. This is unrealistic etc pp.

There has been lots of arguments, even "Hey, why you 1st person guys are hanging around 3rd person server all day and complaining the same time?". I even tried to convince them to play on 1st person server without any luck. They dont play on 1st p server because ... they are empty...

-.-

Actually you cant help them. The only way to get the 1st person lover onto 1st person server is to force them.

Im having no problem with the 3rd person because as said, looks better, doesnt feel as being trapped or limited, I can watch my character doing survival things ... all that stuff which never was a valid point for anyone on earth since the very beginning.

Edit

typing one a phone is a pain

Edited by Ken Bean
  • Like 1

Not yet, there will be soon.

But looking back at the mod, first person players were pretty disloyal to first person servers.

I think that could have been due to players who wanted FPV only not wanting to join the servers because they were empty, but it takes some players to begin to fill an empty server and then other likeminded players will follow. Sadly the only other reason for it that I can see is that the majority of PvPers out there simply prefer the exploitability of TPV.

Those who want a solely FPV view experience need to sort out players to fill these servers when they become available... If it was me, I'd be starting a thread to see exactly who will be interested in playing there and arranging it, maybe a poll to see who will be interested in playing on a FPV only server when the time comes. I think campaigning for its complete removal will be fruitless and waste time if I'm honest.

• Like 1

Well here's how you fill a server: You join it and wait for others to join it.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

UaEKRwG.jpgthird_person_argument.png

This is exactly demonstrating *why* 3PP is valuable and reasonable.  There is nothing in that situation stopping a person from grabbing the lip of that chimney and peering up and viewing over it - except limitations of mechanics and programming currently.

The entire reason that 3PP is so valuable is that it compensates for programming and mechanics limitations to make the experience more realistic.

Can any of the 1PP only constituency argue that it is somehow more realistic that a man in a brick chimney a foot shorter than him and just about 2/3 his height wide cannot somehow finagle a way to climb up in that chimney and peer out at the surroundings around him with minimal exposure?

Yes, I do indeed understand that it's actually zero exposure right now, and that's not a perfect solution nor is that very realistic. However, it's a trade off.  AND there's now 1PS only experimental servers you can go enjoy so that no one gets this compensation if you prefer the less realistic compensation.

It's remarkable to me that we can see that same image and draw such different reasoning from it.

Edited by Evil_This

Can any of the 1PP only constituency argue that it is somehow more realistic that a man in a brick chimney a foot shorter than him and just about 2/3 his height cannot somehow finagle a way to climb up in that chimney and peer out at the surroundings around him with minimal exposure?

Yes, I do indeed understand that it's actually zero exposure right now, and that's not a perfect solution nor is that very realistic. However, it's a trade off.  AND there's now 1PS only experimental servers you can go enjoy so that no one gets this compensation if you prefer the less realistic compensation.

Trade off that's totally unbalanced. You would need to exposure pretty much of yourself to get that field of view from that chimney.

I'll give you a prime example of just that happening to me last night (thus why I was all worked up earlier in the thread.. and now I guess, haha)

I was in the police building covering my friend who was eating. I was actually IN 1st person looking at the front door so that if anyone came around the corner I could kill them. Now.. the fact that I can use 3rd person in this situation doesn't help me at all. not one iota.

On the other hand, someone came by and para-scoped the room we were in without ever exposing himself. He knew exactly where I was (peeking around a corner aiming at the door) and knew exactly where my friend was (right behind me eating).. so what does he do? Despite the fact that I should have ALL OF THE ADVANTAGE in this situation, he puts his M4 on full auto and turns the corner firing exactly where my head is. I didn't even have enough time to float my iron sight anywhere near him before I was just dead.

That. Is. Cheap. As. Fuck. Period.

For one you should have the door locked, two you shouldn't have been at that area to be exposed, go to another corner and three you had the same chance to be peeking as the other player did. Also could you not hear the footsteps?

• Like 1

This is exactly demonstrating *why* 3PP is valuable and reasonable.  There is nothing in that situation stopping a person from grabbing the lip of that chimney and peering up and viewing over it - except limitations of mechanics and programming currently.

The entire reason that 3PP is so valuable is that it compensates for programming and mechanics limitations to make the experience more realistic.

Can any of the 1PP only constituency argue that it is somehow more realistic that a man in a brick chimney a foot shorter than him and just about 2/3 his height wide cannot somehow finagle a way to climb up in that chimney and peer out at the surroundings around him with minimal exposure?

It's remarkable to me that we can see that same image and draw such different reasoning from it.

Except as a player in that field approaching that building, I'd EASILY be able to see some jagoff peering his head over the lip of that chimney. 

Again.. no risk for that player. ALL reward. It's cheap. Plain and simple. How is this even debatable? 

Lol What ?

For one you should have the door locked, two you shouldn't have been at that area to be exposed, go to another corner and three you had the same chance to be peeking as the other player did. Also could you not hear the footsteps?

I'm face_palming pretty hard right now.. 

Our positioning has no bearing on the reality of the situation.. I'm aiming at a fucking door, I should have the upper hand 100% of the time. There is no way, had both me and my attacker been in 1st person, would he have any way of knowing I was in there without peering in. Certainly someone playing in fpv wouldn't have blindly started strafe firing into a building EVEN if he heard my friend munching on beans.

The fact I have to alter my playstyle because people can peer around corners without any downside whatsoever sucks dick. 

Edited by serenityrick

I have to alter my play style because of KoSers and that sucks dick... But I deal with it.

There's no gameplay altering by you both not standing IN FRONT of the door.

There is also no way he could have taken you down had you done the same thing he did.

• Like 1

Playing in third person view is a much more pleasant experience and since DayZ is such a grind, people who play in third person view plays longer sessions, which is why third person servers are more active and filled with more players. As long as first person view is such an unpleasant and clunky experience, first person servers will constantly struggle with their population levels.

this ^.

I personally cant stand first person mode.

I probably wouldnt play.

First person is just such a headache, especially in Dayz with these clunky character movements.

I think ideally one can peek through fences, peek around corners, peek through grass/ bushes and these things are hard to do in first person.

You just have no perception of your surroundings in 1st person.

To be honest i do use this exploit when i can and vary rarely it has actually made me get the drop on someone.

90 % of the time on accident.

Probably why i wasn't a fan of Fallout series.

its sad that 3rd players will defend there periscope view and call it realistic and shoot down any mention of locking 3rd view to head hieght so they cant look down and put up there 10 foot high view point.

Yes there is no mechanic for climbing up something to peer over it wish there was 1 cause that would be realistic to get a view and would make you able to be seen and you would get caught hanging on a wall easy pickings.

Again locking 3rd person view to the exact height of players would allow them to look at there players as the huge post a few posts ago says its for looks but wouldnt allow them to exploit a flaw in arma game design. with it locked at head hieght wouldnt need different servers first and 3rd could play happily together why cause it be balanced 3rd would give slightly more peripheral view and first slightly better distance view. everyone would be happy except the 3rd person players who have gotten to rely on camping and using the periscope to kill people with no risk to themselves being seen.

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 1

its sad that 3rd players will defend there periscope view and call it realistic and shoot down any mention of locking 3rd view to head hieght so they cant look down and put up there 10 foot high view point.

Yes there is no mechanic for climbing up something to peer over it wish there was 1 cause that would be realistic to get a view and would make you able to be seen and you would get caught hanging on a wall easy pickings.

Again locking 3rd person view to the exact height of players would allow them to look at there players as the huge post a few posts ago says its for looks but wouldnt allow them to exploit a flaw in arma game design. with it locked at head hieght wouldnt need different servers first and 3rd could play happily together why cause it be balanced 3rd would give slightly more peripheral view and first slightly better distance view. everyone would be happy except the 3rd person players who have gotten to rely on camping and using the periscope to kill people with no risk to themselves being seen.

Wouldnt locking it to head height not make much difference? because if they look down the camera goes up, so then they can look over walls. 

There is now a discussion about that on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1u06px/found_a_neat_hiding_spot/

Some days ago all posts attacking 3rd person downvoted into oblivion but now they are upvoted. People realize it's a cheat and I encouraged several people to send mails to the development and they answered to look into it.

I am sure in several weeks / months we get a good solution for everyone.

• Like 1

I am sure in several weeks / months we get a good solution for everyone.

I've never seen any indication that he has any plans to do anything different than what's already in the game.

He obviously doesn't think this is the epic, 41-page circlejerkathon that everyone in this thread does.

If you dont' want 3rd person, play on servers where it's locked.

That's literally it. It's over. Done.

my conscience.... remove it or it need some tweak

go play warz?

I play only 3rd person. Deal with it. 

At-least you admitted that you need a crutch to play this game.  

+1  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Wouldnt locking it to head height not make much difference? because if they look down the camera goes up, so then they can look over walls. 

your not understanding the idea of locking the camera to head height as in it it does not raise up higher than the players head so um if you look down in this case you get view of ground around you not a periscope up in the air (lock the height not the position its in as it is now locked to a postion of the body so tilt body forward camera goes up to stay in same postion relative to the point its fixed to ..

your not understanding the idea of locking the camera to head height as in it it does not raise up higher than the players head so um if you look down in this case you get view of ground around you not a periscope up in the air (lock the height not the position its in as it is now locked to a postion of the body so tilt body forward camera goes up to stay in same postion relative to the point its fixed to ..

but then wouldnt your view of the ground infront of you be obstructed? (by the way, I prefer first person but understand where all the third person people are coming from because currently im using third person until the fix all the clipping issues with first person)