rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2

So only coz you dont like Cherno they should remove it ? FFS what are you smoking? Just dont come to cherno and live in the woods.

Whasts your problem?

Nobody said Cherno should be removed, please read before mashing that 'Reply' button.

The problem is, a lot of people run straight to Elektro/Cherno after spawning, get shot by short tempered gentlemen such as yourself, and then proceed to these forums to complain that DayZ is a Deathmatch game.

To help these people enjoy the game better, we make suggestions on how they could be guided to a gameplay experience they would enjoy.

Do you understand it now?

I think I won..

I started off with a fresh spawn' date=' no guns, just painkillers and a bandage.

Now I have an Alice pack full of food and drink.

I have *everything* except for range finder and gps, well.. no vehicle either.

ps. yes I did this without server hopping. but if I can get all this stuff in 2 days from a fresh spawn, so can anyone else.

[/quote']

Did you manage to get the NVGs too in those two days? Can you give me a tip? :-)

I think I won..

I started off with a fresh spawn' date=' no guns, just painkillers and a bandage.

ps. yes I did this without server hopping. but if I can get all this stuff in 2 days from a fresh spawn, so can anyone else.

[/quote']

Did you manage to get the NVGs too in those two days? Can you give me a tip? :-)

yup, I found 2 pairs by a crash site just north of Stary Sobor..

aamof, I've found 3-4 crash sites up there.. there seems to always be at least one pair there.

First thing you should do when you spawn is locate the nearest dear stand.. if possible, hit a few of them along the backroads leading north. Then try to find a drugstore, you will almost always find plenty of food and most of the tools, plus bigger packs.. another good place to find guns is in a church, but churches and drugstores are dangerous..

Finally, if you find a smoke nade, hold onto it.. when you are ready to leave town, they can be invaluable because all of the zombies in the area will run to it when you throw it, allowing you to bolt the other way.

Follow those tips, stay away from the coast, and *never* trust another player. You will be fine. If you try to head for Cherno or Elektro right away, be ready to respawn again very soon. :P

I think I won..

[/quote']

yup, I found 2 pairs by a crash site just north of Stary Sobor..

aamof, I've found 3-4 crash sites up there.. there seems to always be at least one pair there.

First thing you should do when you spawn is locate the nearest dear stand.. if possible, hit a few of them along the backroads leading north. Then try to find a drugstore, you will almost always find plenty of food and most of the tools, plus bigger packs.. another good place to find guns is in a church, but churches and drugstores are dangerous..

Finally, if you find a smoke nade, hold onto it.. when you are ready to leave town, they can be invaluable because all of the zombies in the area will run to it when you throw it, allowing you to bolt the other way.

Follow those tips, stay away from the coast, and *never* trust another player. You will be fine. If you try to head for Cherno or Elektro right away, be ready to respawn again very soon. :P

These crash sites, do they re-spawn their gear or do you have to catch them early right after the server restart?

These crash sites' date=' do they re-spawn their gear or do you have to catch them early right after the server restart?

[/quote']

That I'm not sure about, but I think they spawn fairly regularly up in the northern areas. There's also a chance to spawn nvg and gps in plenty of the coastal areas, but the chance is small, and I've *never* seen them that far south. That said, I found my Ghilli suit in Kamyshovo, so don't think all the good stuff is away from the Coastal towns.

' pid='207900' dateline='1340886964']

* [NEW] Exponent driven probability introduced into visibility calculation

??? wut???

What I think that means is that some zombies see better than others' date=' so zombie A might not spot you at 50m, but zombie B (in the exact same situation) may come running for you at 50m. Making things less predictable.

[/quote']

Please learn what Exponent driven probability is.

So only coz you dont like Cherno they should remove it ? FFS what are you smoking? Just dont come to cherno and live in the woods.

Whasts your problem?

Nobody said Cherno should be removed' date=' please read before mashing that 'Reply' button.

The problem is, a lot of people run straight to Elektro/Cherno after spawning, get shot by short tempered gentlemen such as yourself, and then proceed to these forums to complain that DayZ is a Deathmatch game.

To help these people enjoy the game better, we make suggestions on how they could be guided to a gameplay experience they would enjoy.

[/quote']

omfg please MORE stupid arguments. So becoy people are stupid and noob we should just make cherno not worth to visit ? WHAT ???

Go to the empty servers and play your simcity / sims whatever game style you want. I am for PVP in cherno. Just odnt go to cherno omfg

omfg please MORE stupid arguments. So becoy people are stupid and noob we should just make cherno not worth to visit ? WHAT ???

Go to the empty servers and play your simcity / sims whatever game style you want. I am for PVP in cherno. Just odnt go to cherno omfg

I didn't say to make it not worth to visit, noone did. Just change the spawn points and maybe alter the loot some. Also, try to relax a little.

Please learn what Exponent driven probability is.

You couldn't defend you viewpoint in your last discussion' date=' so now you try to start a new one?

Smooth.

[/quote']

The way i understand it is that the infected have an extra variable... the longer you sit or hover in their vecinity, the higher is the chance they'll see you or hear you better.

In very simple terms I think it would be like... you can be crouched in front of an infected and walk about 40-60 meters in front of him and he currently doesn't react. If the infected keeps going slowly towards your direction or he's stationary but you remain in his line of sight, the longer this persists the chance he will detect you increases.

Sort of like what would happen if you'd step from grass to road or start running all of the sudden.

Right now, if a zombie is in a barn and looking outside to you from 50 meters and you're crouched, he won't attack because you're like an invisible person. With the new update, it would be like your visibility or noise levels very slowly increase even when you're crouched or prone but in his line of sight.

Or you may think of it as smell - the longer you stay near a zombie, the chance of the wind blowing your smell towards the infected increases and he gets a clue of your presence.

Whasts your problem?

Nobody said Cherno should be removed' date=' please read before mashing that 'Reply' button.

[/quote']

I'm inclined to think that Roboserg is an illiterate minor, that's likely to grief you if given half a chance.

I agree with you Max. In terms of balance DayZ is often walking on a tightrope. Cherno/Electro are hubs, but I've always thought, "if this is a BIG town, why are there only a minuscule increase in Zeds compared to a local village?" They should be a hub for Zombies as well as players. Some of the loot does need to be tweaked too.

I'd say that Rocket should hold off adding more and more variants like beartraps to the game, as they only cause more issues for bugs to appear. I'm aware he's getting a lot fixed, but I can imagine the amount of issues that will arise from these new beartraps. Or if he find's a desperate NEED to add more things, don't just add damage dealing tools without adding something to counter it. If you add beartraps that break legs, then add the ability to make splints combining wood/bandages, or at least throw us a morphine pack earlier/make morphine spawns varied and not just in the hospitals.

bring back the maklarov at spawn rocket.

theres no reason to not include it.

and there's no reason TO include it.

it's fine as it is, including a makarov at spawn would only promote MORE shooting on sight than there already is.

we dont need the makarov on spawn. i like the way ppl have to be careful at beginning, and don´t kill other players in DM.

its good like it is now.

only 3 words: deal with it !!

Please include the AS50, G17, NVG on spawn.. I dont want to farm 1 week. I just want troll some people in cherno :(((

also include an alice pack, binos, hunting knife, and matches at spawn. pleeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeeeee

oh, and a compass, map, watch, sandbags, frag grenade, smoke grenade, and an empty tin can.

Whasts your problem?

[/quote']

I'm inclined to think that Roboserg is an illiterate minor, that's likely to grief you if given half a chance.

I agree with you Max. In terms of balance DayZ is often walking on a tightrope. Cherno/Electro are hubs, but I've always thought, "if this is a BIG town, why are there only a minuscule increase in Zeds compared to a local village?" They should be a hub for Zombies as well as players. Some of the loot does need to be tweaked too.

I'd say that Rocket should hold off adding more and more variants like beartraps to the game, as they only cause more issues for bugs to appear. I'm aware he's getting a lot fixed, but I can imagine the amount of issues that will arise from these new beartraps. Or if he find's a desperate NEED to add more things, don't just add damage dealing tools without adding something to counter it. If you add beartraps that break legs, then add the ability to make splints combining wood/bandages, or at least throw us a morphine pack earlier/make morphine spawns varied and not just in the hospitals.

Bug squashing is not a priority this early in a game design. Once you add any feature (regardless of how smooth and bug free the game is prior) more bugs will appear. Any feature you add will interact with (in ways you can not comprehend before hand) previous features, and 95% of the time it will break quite a few other game systems. It's a pain in the ass but that is software design and engineering for you.

Rocket would actually be better off ignoring most of the bugs and if he knew his full feature set goal he would implement them all as quick as possible, while trying to keep the build stable enough to barely run. Trust me this would be a cluster fuck, I've worked on projects like that before where for the first 9-12 months the game is almost completely unplayable as a whole while the engineers try to implement all the features in the engine.

Bug squashing comes after feature completion. We are lucky he spends time refining it for our entertainment instead of shutting us all down and simply internally testing it to complete his project. Half the reason this project moves so slow is because he caters so kindly to his audience and our fix requests.

As for counters to the bear traps wait and see how they work before assuming they need a solution or are going to negatively affect game play. You will probably love the first time you watch a player go down from one of your traps.

we dont need the makarov on spawn. i like the way ppl have to be careful at beginning' date=' and don´t kill other players in DM.

its good like it is now.

only 3 words: deal with it !!

[/quote']

DJshauny1 has been crying about this for 3 days now, he's incredibly butthurt about the whole ordeal.

There is no spawn pistol to stop people from just spawning and killing each other, the game isn't about that! From experience, it has been removed for very good reasons.

Stop crying

+1 to the NOT starting with a pistol, If i had my way we wouldn't start with anything, Not even a backpack.

Well maybe start with a soda in one pocket & a tin of beans in the other .... That's it!

+1 to the NOT starting with a pistol' date=' If i had my way we wouldn't start with anything, Not even a backpack.

Well maybe start with a soda in one pocket & a tin of beans in the other .... That's it!

[/quote']

I agree. I like starting with nothing at all. It makes the game harder in a fun way. I can think of many non-fun ways to make the game harder, and so far we have avoided those pretty well I think.

Now we just need to double the body shots required to drop a zombie, spawn more zombies, and in turn reduce their speed a tiny bit and reduce their re-spawn speed a bit as well.

I agree that the way Rocket does his work on the mod is more for our benefit than his own.

It would be very easy for him to lock us all out of the next build and simply work with his own internal team. Especially now that BI has given him the go ahead to use company resources to work on DayZ.

Trust me, I've beta tested plenty of other mods and games and I've seen it happen before.

(Blade Symphony is a great example of a game that was released to external testers/donators, and then went back into closed dev once they got their Kickstarter funding.)

Also, the reason I posted the "I won" post up above was because I wanted to illustrate exactly how easy it is to start with nothing and have virtually *everything* in just a few hours of playing. Use a map like this one: http://dayzmap.info or this one: http://dayzdb.com/map

Either of those will show you ideal loot spawns and where dear stands are.. it's actually better than the in-game map, unless you're on a "recruit" server where you can see your position on the map. (Even then it doesn't show deer stands or what buildings are enterable like the ones I linked above.

Trust me.. you do not need *anything* when you spawn.. it is extremely easy to locate the things you need right from the start.

Bug squashing is not a priority this early in a game design. Once you add any feature (regardless of how smooth and bug free the game is prior) more bugs will appear. Any feature you add will interact with (in ways you can not comprehend before hand) previous features' date=' and 95% of the time it will break quite a few other game systems. It's a pain in the ass but that is software design and engineering for you.

Rocket would actually be better off ignoring most of the bugs and if he knew his full feature set goal he would implement them all as quick as possible, while trying to keep the build stable enough to barely run. Trust me this would be a cluster fuck, I've worked on projects like that before where for the first 9-12 months the game is almost completely unplayable as a whole while the engineers try to implement all the features in the engine.

Bug squashing comes after feature completion. We are lucky he spends time refining it for our entertainment instead of shutting us all down and simply internally testing it to complete his project. Half the reason this project moves so slow is because he caters so kindly to his audience and our fix requests.

As for counters to the bear traps wait and see how they work before assuming they need a solution or are going to negatively affect game play. You will probably love the first time you watch a player go down from one of your traps.

[/quote']

Hmm, interesting. I can accept that completely. I think the situation here is that, as from hearing on PC Gamer, that a lot of the additions are being referred to as "experiments" to see how the community will react. I'm not saying this is true or not, but it's hard to see what the end goal is supposed to be.

(Not to go back to this but, the whole -Makarov at spawn Allowed.. then eventually removed- felt like an experiment...but i guess that's not an addition of a feature.)

good to read your insight on it though. I'm interested if Rocket would just go full pelt into getting everything added and worry about other things later.

Trust me.. you do not need *anything* when you spawn.. it is extremely easy to locate the things you need right from the start.

Except for a borderline cheatmap apparently. ;)

Rocket' date=' what's the status on a Single Player version of DayZ? Personally, I just want it so I don't always have to deal with people. I feel like I'd be incredibly immersed in a world where I'd honest to god feel lonely.

[/quote']

He was just discussing this in the live stream saying he's very opposed to the idea, and that multiplayer can provide a much better experience when it's all done.

I agree that the heart of this mod/game is multiplayer and that dynamic and true human randomness just can't be simulated, so Rocket's totally right about that being the game's main focus and power. It definitely is.

However, it would be kinda' cool (someday, certainly not a priority right now) if there was some sort of single-player "practice" mode, where the "players" were AI-controlled and preprogrammed with some randomness as far as their aggression and stuff goes (some would be shy and peaceful, some want to team up, and some--the larger portion? heh--would just be out-and-out bandit jerks like you have in the current game). Just a practice mode like most other games have, where you can at least get your feet wet a bit with AI, and learn the inventory systems and weapons, etc., before jumping online. I could see it as a useful option for new players down the road.

+1 Also for not starting with a pistol.

I whined like a girl when I first started because I had nothing and the Zombies were raping me in the ass but I stuck with it and learned how to avoid the zombies and most importantly how to lose them (thanks to some pointers on here) when they see me through a building with their xray vision lol.

I've not found a firearm yet but I have a hatchet and that's kept any Zombies away. I've found pretty much everything else I need that's essential and have been alive for 3 days now :)

I just wish I could log in and play, I have ARMA X and I'm getting the server version error thing that won't be fixed for me until 1.7.2 :/

Rocket, its now thursday? Where is the update and or eta? last time i checked monday was 3 days ago,

Except for a borderline cheatmap apparently. ;)

LOL!

Fair enough.. though to be fair, I know the map pretty well at this point, so I can usually decide where to go without too much trouble these days.. ;)