rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2

Barbed wire in buildings wasn't bad enough? Now we have god damn BEAR TRAPS?

+1. As if the game already didnt have problems with enter-able buildings. Those few that remains are either barbed wired' date=' tank trapped and now will be bear trapped. Excellent.

[/quote']

Cmon guys' date=' where is your sense of adventure!

[/quote']

That's your answer to his correct and very valid point about the bear traps,

"Cmon guys, where is your sense of adventure!"??

You just had to fix the barbed wire fiasco and instead of learning from that you are adding a far more insidious object to the game. An object that actually enables people to HURT others without even being present on the server.

Are you absolutely sure it's a good idea?

Target date is Monday. Backup is for Saturday during offpeak time.

WHY U NO GIVE NEW ETA?

Yeah it would be nice to know.

Time to introduce you to a all time favorite for the arma community:

When it's done.:blush:

Rocket is currently busy playing with the PC Gamer staff :

http://www.twitch.tv/pcgamer

The update needs to wait until other things that are more important are finished (hehe)

The other problem I see with bear traps(besides spamming) is that say you've been seen by some Zeds you cut through a long cattle barn and see a bear trap between you and the exit on the center path. Now if this were real, normally you can go around it, jump over it, duck under the cattle bars etc. Not easily done in ARMA. Assuming the Zeds run indoors now(they will be on you in a second) and you don't need a toolbox, you have to stop and try to disarm the trap because if you try to side step it you might bump off a cattle bar and activate it and it breaks your femur(Really? Is this thing a chainchomp?) or you have to go prone and crawl slowly under and around.

If this wasn't ARMA I wouldn't care about the traps being added, but it is and they will break the experience of a simulator. "If this is supposed to be so realistic why can't I just step over the trap!?" Yeah, no way in hell am I trying to press [V] to attempt it.

You just had to fix the barbed wire fiasco and instead of learning from that you are adding a far more insidious object to the game. An object that actually enables people HURT others without even being present on the server.

For me its looks like the idea behind bear trap is just for lulz. Because, like i said before, there is no need for bear traps cuz they cant serve their purpose. It just looks like they implemented "By troll for trolls"

How about a mutual agreement or "trust" option in game' date=' Where as players can join a sort of team/group(they can still kill and shoot each other etc)and there are rewards for teaming/grouping up.

I dunno maybe make it so that when you hover your iron-sight/crosshair over a person that is say a maximum of 10ft away(they must be within 10ft)you then scroll your mouse wheel as you would but there is a option to "team up" or "trust" .. Something like that, If you do that the other person gets a option to either say yes or no, If the other person accepts this you both now "trust" each other and you can work as a team(of course you could betray that trust and kill the other player if you wish)

Now if players team up we could have maybe moral or happiness that you only get from teaming up .. Something like that where if we break a bone, Bleed, Go into shock or become sick the effects maybe last half of the time & naturally wear off or stop over time without the need for morphine or pills etc, Maybe make it that you have say 30% less chance of taking critical damage from the infected, I dunno just some ideas

Obviously don't wanna overpower teaming with extra items or weapons etc.

I dunno, What do you guys think?

[/quote']

+1

Yeah there should be something subtle, something that makes me feel good in Real Life. For that i can say," it was the right decision to team up and help this guy "

I want to feel like a real nice guy when I team up and I want to feel like my heart is broken, when my "teammate" betrays me.

If I had more specific ideas I probably would do a game myself, but I´ve no idea, just the feeling.

...scroll your mouse wheel as you would but there is a option to "team up" or "trust" .. Something like that' date=' If you do that the other person gets a option to either say yes or no...

[/quote']

I really like that idea In addition there should be an option to talk to each other when in a team.

I love this Mod !

Barbed wire in buildings wasn't bad enough? Now we have god damn BEAR TRAPS?

+1. As if the game already didnt have problems with enter-able buildings. Those few that remains are either barbed wired' date=' tank trapped and now will be bear trapped. Excellent.

[/quote']

Cmon guys' date=' where is your sense of adventure!

[/quote']

That's your answer to his correct and very valid point about the bear traps,

"Cmon guys, where is your sense of adventure!"??

You just had to fix the barbed wire fiasco and instead of learning from that you are adding a far more insidious object to the game. An object that actually enables people HURT others without even being present on the server.

I think its a great idea, almost genius actually. It will add yet another layer of complexity to an already outstanding piece of work.

I'm worried about how stifling to change and the future growth of this game alot of the people in here are going to be. I worry daily that at some point Rocket is not going to try something because mass hysteria from his testing group is going to deter him from yet another stroke of genius.

This game is a work of art in regards to its innovation and breaking the cookie cutter rules established by the institutionalized game industry. Some of the people invovled in this conversation don't realize that or are just scared to death of these challenging innovations.

Everything will be alright, and if its not... you will respawn to the beautiful sound of peaceful waves breaking upon the shore.

Check out my sig about the idea, Maybe some input? :)

half of the people in this thread wouldnt know a good idea if it slapped them smack in the face lol

I like how so many people are wanting "rewards" for teaming up with people, as if the following aren't enough of an incentive to team up and they want even more.

-Always someone there to give you a transfusion

-More bag space, can get other person/people to carry stuff for you that you have no room for

-More awareness of your surroundings since there is more eyes and ears to watch around the place

-More safety since people are less likely to just shoot a big group of people

-Easier to fix cars/gather supplies since you can split up and then meet up at a camp to store the goods

-More chance to get your stuff back, friend can watch over your dead body or carry the important things back to you once you die.

If all these things aren't enough of an incentive for people to work together then you must be crazy, honestly they should give more bonuses to people that like to play solo since teams get all the benefits at the moment.

Rocket, what's the status on a Single Player version of DayZ? Personally, I just want it so I don't always have to deal with people. I feel like I'd be incredibly immersed in a world where I'd honest to god feel lonely.

I like how so many people are wanting "rewards" for teaming up with people' date=' as if the following aren't enough of an incentive to team up and they want even more.

-More bag space, can get other person/people to carry stuff for you that you have no room for

-More awareness of your surroundings since there is more eyes and ears to watch around the place

-More safety since people are less likely to just shoot a big group of people

-Easier to fix cars/gather supplies since you can split up and then meet up at a camp to store the goods

-More chance to get your stuff back, friend can watch over your dead body or carry the important things back to you once you die.

If all these things aren't enough of an incentive for people to work together then you must be crazy, honestly they should give more bonuses to people that like to play solo since teams get all the benefits at the moment.

[/quote']

Well they obviously ain't because as 99% of people shoot on sight. Ive been playing this mod for almost two months & ive came across 4 - 5 people that didn't shoot me on sight, I remember one of those was because i didn't have a weapon so i was no threat.

Why is it we cant use the blood on ourselves ??

I'm sure in real life id find a way if i desperately needed to use one.

Why not add a half bag that can only be done yourself upto 4000 blood and leave the big bag for team efforts where someone has to help you with it.

honestly they should give more bonuses to people that like to play solo since teams get all the benefits at the moment.

Maybe make the finds that appear near you slightly better % if your on your own

Rocket' date=' what's the status on a Single Player version of DayZ? Personally, I just want it so I don't always have to deal with people. I feel like I'd be incredibly immersed in a world where I'd honest to god feel lonely.

[/quote']

He was just discussing this in the live stream saying he's very opposed to the idea, and that multiplayer can provide a much better experience when it's all done.

Rocket' date=' what's the status on a Single Player version of DayZ? Personally, I just want it so I don't always have to deal with people. I feel like I'd be incredibly immersed in a world where I'd honest to god feel lonely.

[/quote']

Just head up north and live off the land. I go days without seeing anyone.

Well they obviously ain't because as 99% of people shoot on sight. Ive been playing this mod for almost two months & ive came across 4 - 5 people that didn't shoot me on sight' date=' I remember one of those was because i didn't have a weapon so i was no threat.

[/quote']

Over exaggerating doesn't make your point more valid, you must just be on a very bad server or had horrible luck since most of the people I've ran into are friendly except for the odd few that snipe you from afar, if you used to play when side chat was always active then you'd know that there was/is plenty of friendly people playing.

Then teams would just send one person into the area whilst rest keep watch/protect him from afar.

Well they obviously ain't because as 99% of people shoot on sight. Ive been playing this mod for almost two months & ive came across 4 - 5 people that didn't shoot me on sight' date=' I remember one of those was because i didn't have a weapon so i was no threat.

[/quote']

Over exaggerating doesn't make your point more valid, you must just be on a very bad server or had horrible luck since most of the people I've ran into are friendly except for the odd few that snipe you from afar, if you used to play when side chat was always active then you'd know that there was/is plenty of friendly people playing.

Then teams would just send one person into the area whilst rest keep watch/protect him from afar.

SO they would provide overwatch? Ridiculous, what is this a mil-sim?

Also I have only run into 3 armed people who didn't shoot me on sight in my month of playing.

[/quote']

This seems to be the problem; Person A meets 9/10 people who shoot them in the face on sight. Person B only meets 3/10 who shoot on site. This creates two totally different views of the player community. Personally, in my first week I was shot each and every time I tried to make contact with people who I spotted first. Each time they shoot me instead of trying to make peace. Personally, I do feel this game needs more insentive for STRANGERS to play together. IRL friends and people over teamspeak/vent are not going to suffer this problem.

[/quote']

I ain't over exaggerating anything, As i said ive been playing this mod for close to two months, Ive played on UK, US & Euro servers ... 90% of the people I'VE met will shoot on site.

Ill be honest, I have recently met more people that didn't shoot on site but that's only since the game got patched with no starting weapon & they never had a weapon to kill me with lol.

I'm in agreement with the last few posters on this, i think the game should really try to foster a sense of community and team spirit, but not to force it. You can still be a bandit and treat it like a deathmatch if you want, but there should be more of a focus on making teams/groups. In a real outbreak/doomsday scenario, i know i would be the kind of person who would want a good sized group and i would treat everyone as a potential ally unless they gave me immediate reason to think otherwise.

Saying that, my current play style tends to just be mr solo, mostly down to the fact my IRL player friends don't get to play that much. I never kill on sight and since the leg breaking every ten steps ive noticed a lot less killing on sight. I've handed out loads of morphine to random strangers because i think thats so screwed at the moment that we all have to look out for each other a bit more. I would like that kind of attitude to stay if possible.

I dont have any suggestions as to how to do this, but i thought i'd chip in as we're all just chatting shit to pass the time till the update :)

Randomly generated percentages aside, most people shoot on sight. There's nothing wrong with it.

However, cohesion should be encouraged... but not preferred. They should just be different methods of survival.

The best chance you have of meeting somebody & actually teaming up is after a fresh spawn when you both have no weapon.

Even then its like "if he gets a weapon first will he kill me because he thinks when i get a weapon ill kill him" or "if i get a weapon first should i kill him in case he kills me for my gear when he gets a weapon".

Randomly generated percentages aside' date=' most people shoot on sight. There's nothing wrong with it.

However, cohesion should be encouraged... but not preferred. They should just be different methods of survival.

[/quote']

50% of statisticians say that 87% or statistics are made up.....

... 45% of the time...

Randomly generated percentages aside' date=' most people shoot on sight. There's nothing wrong with it.

[/quote']

50% of statisticians say that 87% or statistics are made up.....

... 45% of the time...

It works 80% of the time... every time.

In the weeks ive been playing every single one ive met tried to and mostly succeeded in killing me...

Maybe its my after shave ...

I had an encounter the other day coming into this open space and there was two coming the other way i moved away to the right being not threatening and gave them space then moved on but the idiots started shooting and ran me down till they killed me.

There was no need as i was no threat to them and didnt want to get into a fight and i was fresh killed so all they got was 1 bandage, and as i made them waste lots of bullets to get that bandage they were obviously clever fellows (dickheads).

It would be nice to meet someone that wanted more than kill the player and be able to do more than just do that as i think if it only goes down that route the game will become boring and ultimately fail.

What about some sub missions that you must add another player to complete?

Fly buzzing is everywhere but no bodies. It's as if every corpse that's ever been in the server before is still buzzing.

Coast noise (waves crashing) is ridiculously loud and carries way too far.

Sometimes character won't shoot/swing axe. Axe detection is sketchty at best and axe is far too common (4 in one building).

I was hungry before (red but not flashing) so I ate and was still red ate another can and was still hungry. Eventually went red and flashing and after 10 minutes of this I reset.

Zeds were trying to get to me in one of the industrial buildings (the largest multiple story one outside of Komarovo) and I was sitting on the walkway that backs onto the windows. While I was sitting there a Zed was trying to get to me via the entrance from the staircase. He would walk out the doorway get the the corner of the walk way glitch down to the bottom floor and glitch through the wall to the stairway and repeat this a few times. Only stopped when I relocated and the Zed moved to a different path to get to me.