Sign in to follow this  
alleycat

Color degradation from blood loss has to go (loss of visual fidelity)

Are you eating inbetween these melee battles? Maintaining the "healing" status? Because if you are not then its understandable you are in greyscreen all the time. When you get the status your health will fly back up, and is it not fair to say you might need a rest to regen hp after these 10 battles. Grey screen would be gone inside 10 mins if you get the status.

Colour stauration is a great way to reflect hp loss. At one point someone said that the game skips steps, like blurry vission, passing out or not being able to run in the strait line. Well the screen blurs as it greys, and in the mod you passed out a lot from low blood. Considering the overhaull to the food system im sure these mechanics will get the same treatment.More in depth and just as harsh as now, and that makes me a happy chappy :)

Lol...after you healed....known bug. Just open up menu (esc), then go configure>video....and watch the blur disappear ;)

EDIT- A friend just told me he actually has to change his res to fix it, but mine goes away just opening video options.

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 1

If blurriness and saturation last for more than a few minutes at a time, you are indeed playing the game wrong.

Video Guide on Eating, Drinking and Regeneration by Merino

Video Guide on Health and healing status by Merino

If your screen is blurry and colorful, your blood has returned, but you are still badly damaged. Your health is still really low. In order to regenerate health you need to be well hydrated and well fed, and stay that way. You should eat everything you find (don't save it for later) and drink to full stomach as often as you can.

You don't fully understand how healing and blood regeneration relate to hunger and thirst. Watch these videos.

If you eat and drink regularly you will get the healthy status (shown in your inventory). While healthy and well fed and hydrated, you can recover your saturation and sharpness in just a few minutes, and be ready to fight or defend yourself right away.

Never worry about blur or grayness again. Watch those guides, you wont regret it.

Edited by WolfgangErikson
  • Like 2

The problem is that you cretins dont see how bad this affects visual quality of the game

welll yeah..thats the point of it...you need to ACT to make it go away... :rolleyes:

If anything, the effect of severe blood loss needs to be kicked up, not removed.  

Yes. 

The blurry addition to being unhealthy is pretty bad idea I think but the desaturation of colour I have no problem with (kinda)

If anything, the effect of severe blood loss needs to be kicked up, not removed.  

You can do things outside of destroying the image quality of the game to demonstrate to a player that he is really ill.

Things like passing out, sluggishness, hurt animations, unresponsive controls are all 100x better than ruining what would otherwise be a really pretty game.

The Red jelly on screen, black and white camera when hurt needs to go its such a lazy way to demonstrate to the player he is hurt.

You can do things outside of destroying the image quality of the game to demonstrate to a player that he is really ill.

Things like passing out, sluggishness, hurt animations, unresponsive controls are all 100x better than ruining what would otherwise be a really pretty game.

The Red jelly on screen, black and white camera when hurt needs to go its such a lazy way to demonstrate to the player he is hurt.

It's supposed to hurt, it's not supposed to be fun, it's supposed really suck. 

• Like 1

One of the best times I ever had in Dayz was aided a lot by this.  

After probably a few zombie encounters and I think being shot once, I was at the very edge of conciousness, Black and white screen, with the puklsating blur of my heartbeat making things worse.    Fainting every now and then as well to make things worse.

I remember I was at Factory near berezino and had a knife so I ran around the jungle looking for a pig, seeing that it was safer to pass out in the jungle than in town looking for beans.   It took me hours, I think I finished off one night, then restarted the search the next day even.

Eventually found a pig or two, actually I think I lucked out on a cow, I started stumbling around trying to find my way to berezino as I didn't have matches, and figured to cook the meat at the barrels near the military camp or hospital there.    I did have a compass, but it was really really hard to read with the blurred vision, but I thought I could make out north, although I wasn't entirely sure.

Stumbled across the plain, hoping it was the one near berezino and my north point was correct, and came across one of the deer stands. so I breathed a sigh  of relief knowing I was not far away from the camp.

Slowly felt my way there, very painfully, prone most of the time as I couldn't afford do aggro any zombies.  Eventually found the barrel, and the joy was with me, knowing I had started the mission to live more than four hours game time before.   Cooked the meat and chowed down, the colour, oh the colour was the best thing I had ever seen.  

I was home, I had lived through probably the hardest time and fought to stay alive for so long by the tiniest thread.

HOORAY, I live!!!

Started running away back toward the deer hut and

CRACK CRACK CRACK.

YOU ARE DEAD!

Shot by a sniper from across the fields......

• Like 4

Except that, no, it's actually not unacceptable. It is also most probably going to stay. You may think that it is unacceptable, but that does not make it so.

I've experienced around 4 hours of being greyouted (when blood regeneraton didn't work) and I didn't have any problems with that, I got used to it pretty quickly, altough It was nice to get the colors back.

I've been greyed out for a few hours myself and i too got used to it fairly quickly. It just made the healing process to being healthy again that much more satisfying. Watching the color slowly return. And the environment become sharper and less blurred over time was a relief. I must of been really close to death because i could hardly see objects infront of me clearly. I've got no problem with the way it is now seeing as it's not terribly difficult to heal yourself. Just eat and drink lots, take some vitamins and antibiotics or what not, once your wounds are healed rest a bit and your character should be healty again in time. That's what I did. Edited by Foxhunt

I disagree 100%, blood loss should have a bad impact on you. >.>

That is not what he is suggesting of course it should have an impact.

However completely ruining how the game looks merely because they were too lazy to somehow demonstrate the player being hurt in a more intuitive way is bad.

Instead of making a good looking game look like utter crap when you take a tiny bit of damage the game could make being hurt actually mean being hurt.

Having the player be sluggish, fatigued, hurt animations, unresponsive when gunfighting, or any number of ways to demonstrate to the player that he is hurt.

In the end black and white screens and blurry vision is not only unrealistic but it is ugly.

It's a good visual indicator of how much 'health' your character has remaining without giving you the inauthentic precision of seeing it as a number or bar/icon. Personally, I think it's a great feature.

But at the cost of ruining the graphics. How often are you actually full blood?

But at the cost of ruining the graphics. How often are you actually full blood?

I'd say around 75% of the time. You should be slowing down to regen if you drop below around 75-80% health.

The consequences for being injured aren't bad enough currently. 

Legs can't be broken, arms can't be disabled, you can't be blinded. 

Making the game ugly is a start, but they can go a lot further in creating disincentives to being injured. 

Need to make the person playing the game suffer. 

If the color wash out is making this one suffer, then it is working as intended. 

• Like 1

Gatorades will also help with blood loss, and replaces minerals and electrolytes. Maybe they should put gatorade bottles into the game, or gatorade packets to help in cases where you lose a couple pints of blood.

What have you been smokin'. Gatorade for blood loss! Where the hell did you do your medical training, kid, 'cause someones been blowing smoke up your ar....!

• Like 2

But losing the colors in a game where you spend at least 50% of your time being wounded

You do something wrong... :P

Its a strange day when i agree with hellcat but i do bring on the suffering make it hurt ( although some of giboonz ideas might be good to who knows if we tried them we might like them )

Also i agree with those stating if your always hurt your doing something wrong again am i the only sick twisted one who thinks getting back to healthy is well far to easy ?????

EDIT yes i know its alpha and not fully implemented but as it stands its to easy yet people are complaining about the ill affects of being hurt when in less than 30 min you can be in tip top shape again (dependant on your damage and abilities to find sufficient food water etc which is easy)

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 1

I think they should keep the effect but make it easier to heal yourself or get your screen back to a normal state.. for instance I took some damage and had a black and white screen for 2 hours I just roamed around ate food keep myself healthy as pie took medications... took every precaution needed from what I have been told to get blood back and 2 hours later still black and white and even after giving up caring I believe it was still black and white for another couple hours.. in my opinion it's fine, it shows a sense of realism to a game but I think there should be ways to fix it within a short amount of time... or more options than just stealing someones blood or waiting hours to eat and regain normal vision.. don't get me wrong realism is great and all but let's not forget this is game. I'm also playing it to have fun, and see how amazing the game looks, I don't want to be staring at a black and white screen for hours because some douche bag bandit or server hopper got trigger happy with me. I want to enjoy the color and beauty of the game, if I get wounded give me a short little task to get back to normal, not the sense of "Great, now I'm going to be looking at a black and white screen for the next couple hours or more than likely die because of it.

I have been told to get blood back and 2 hours later still black and white and even after giving up caring I believe it was still black and white for another couple hours..

You can get in 28 min in full condition.

Edited by NoCheats

I am surprised nobody mentioned that there is actually a graphic option to make it less extreme, just disable video post processing and you don't get the blurring but you still get the gray. I had to do it because it was pretty much unplayable after getting hit like a dummy a ton of times today.

This avoids the entire issue imho this thread wouldn't even exist if this option was not enabled by default, it effectively unplayable on some peoples setups.

I am surprised nobody mentioned that there is actually a graphic option to make it less extreme, just disable video post processing and you don't get the blurring but you still get the gray. I had to do it because it was pretty much unplayable after getting hit like a dummy a ton of times today.

This avoids the entire issue imho this thread wouldn't even exist if this option was not enabled by default, it effectively unplayable on some peoples setups.

I still think they can develop other methods to demonstrate the player is hurt that don't completely make the game look like utter crap.

They are clever folks they don't have to resort to this lazy method.

There are so many cool things they could do instead.