Sign in to follow this  
alleycat

Color degradation from blood loss has to go (loss of visual fidelity)

not much to say. i fully support current implementation, feels right and fitting.

• Like 4

I still think they can develop other methods to demonstrate the player is hurt that don't completely make the game look like utter crap.

They are clever folks they don't have to resort to this lazy method.

There are so many cool things they could do instead.

I think anything else wouldn't be as cool really, it would be pretty difficult to do an animation that depicts low blood and for what? The grey is pretty cool imho its either between that and a bar or notification text and it beats that unless you have some other idea? The game has a billion problems and things to work on atm.

I do agree the blur is poorly executed and also buggy on some peoples rigs especially, video post processing OFF solves this, it should probably be off by default (I think maybe on some systems it is but on my high end system where I maxed everything it wasnt)

Edited by jaybutts

I was annoyed by this feature also but I think it's a great balancing essence to the game.

It also made my day(z) when I figured out how to fix it without having to get a saline/blood bag administered to me by another survivor.

Searching for loot I found another 'useless' book and thought fuck it how do I read this? I put the book into one of my quick inventory slots and pressed the coinciding number key. The book opened!

So I got very into role-playing at this moment and F3 sat down on a bed then got the book out again. I pressed Tab and 'prev page' / 'next page' icons came up down the bottom of the pages. It was a full book?!? So I read a few pages spending about 2 minutes.

I got up and my screen looked more colourful.

I did it again and my colour was back to it's full glory.

Awesome game!

The problem is that you cretins dont see how bad this affects visual quality of the game

Calling people cretins because you're shit at the game and cant stay at a decent blood level, either that or you dont know how to get your blood back. 

I love this community. 

• Like 3

Wanting to lose awesome HDR colors for a crude on screen colorblind mode indicator of health is as cretinous as it gets.

And there is many other ways to indicate low health: Different animations, character stumbling around, STONE COLD HARD NUMBERS in an inventory display. All of these are better than ruining visual quality of the game.

Also about skill and "being too stupid to keep health up". I get 25 fps in average sized small towns on a rig that is far above minimum settings and slightly above recommended settings. Then add in some load stutter and fighting a zombie with an axe is quickly degenerating to a dice game.

I think you need to work on your fps then, there are plenty of threads about it ranging from start up parameters, augmenting config files, to hyper-threading. Also I would be very disappointed if there was no visual distortion for being injured, but I don't have to worry because I know Rocket isn't going to nerf this. If anything it will become more difficult to survive as more functionality is implemented after injury, which I'm really looking forwarded to. As of yet I haven't shaken from pain yet, or limped from an injury. (I remember a trailer of closed testing when there was a limping player....excited).

Point of the story is not to get injured, simple as that. I'm sure infections will be turned up too later on...or at least I hope they will. This isn't a brawler game and if you're in a prolonged melee battle with a zombie you've done something wrong. Try being more sneaky, only engage a zombie if you have an axe, try not to engage in the first place,  if get aggro with a blunt weapon try running away and hiding, and only stay and fight if you need to. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with the blurring and greying...it works exactly how its supposed to. If you dont like it then you heal asap...the whole concept behind it is to make you feel more vulnerable and isolated....job done imho.

Yeah its not pretty or graphicly orgasmic but hey...neither is dying! Essentially thats what is happening, your character is dying from blood loss and you experience greyout and blurry vision.

But just to pacify the QQ's, they should replace it with tunnel vision and a white light with cool smoke effects and as you move towards it you see your life flash by and friends, family and GOD stand in the light waving to you urging you forward while angels fly around with harps and trumpets....just to make it look better of course!!!

• Like 2

Absolutely nothing wrong with the blurring and greying...it works exactly how its supposed to. If you dont like it then you heal asap...the whole concept behind it is to make you feel more vulnerable and isolated....job done imho.

Yeah its not pretty or graphicly orgasmic but hey...neither is dying! Essentially thats what is happening, your character is dying from blood loss and you experience greyout and blurry vision.

But just to pacify the QQ's, they should replace it with tunnel vision and a white light with cool smoke effects and as you move towards it you see your life flash by and friends, family and GOD stand in the light waving to you urging you forward while angels fly around with harps and trumpets....just to make it look better of course!!!

LOL

Actually I would like tunnel vision. Also does anyone know if you slow down when you are low on blood? I haven't gotten very low and neither have my mates...at least not without dying :)  If not I think it should be implemented

Edited by Lorax

Completely agree the color blindness needs to go.

Sick of the blurry vision? Go to your video settings > rendering> deactivate postprocess and put rotation blur at 0.

Sick of the colorless? Learn to get the "healing/healthy" status properly.

Now shut up and get out.

Like most in here, I disagree with the OP.  And calling it a problem is just... what?  It's part of the game - it lets you know you better patch yourself up since there's no health indicator (a number or percent, anyway) in the game.

• Like 1

And there is many other ways to indicate low health: ... STONE COLD HARD NUMBERS in an inventory display. All of these are better than ruining visual quality of the game.

Also about skill and "being too stupid to keep health up". I get 25 fps in average sized small towns on a rig that is far above minimum settings and slightly above recommended settings. Then add in some load stutter and fighting a zombie with an axe is quickly degenerating to a dice game.

Generic FPS's and casual modes on games like Arma & Red Orchestra have these "STONE COLD NUMBERS" for health.  If you don't like the system or think it takes too much away from the game then I mean.. there's plenty of other games out there? 

As far as you getting horrible FPS and typical alpha lag like everyone else, I'd say get a better PC while you're waiting for updates if you don't want to have such low FPS.  Or follow one of the many guides in the forums or Youtube to fix your framerate.

I never live long enough to even have this happen...okay_meme_small.png

Edited by Mr duke

Gonna have to disagree here, in situations where I've been wounded and lost blood/sight I've been forced into enjoyable and bizarre situations where I'm asking strangers to help me out and use a Saline or Blood Bag IV on me.

I kinda like it, promotes a social interaction with other players where I have to trust them, and they have to trust me.

• Like 1

Wanting to lose awesome HDR colors for a crude on screen colorblind mode indicator of health is as cretinous as it gets.

And there is many other ways to indicate low health: Different animations, character stumbling around, STONE COLD HARD NUMBERS in an inventory display. All of these are better than ruining visual quality of the game.

So now the developers are cretins???

As you might have realized the game is still in Alpha so most of these animations you are lookin for might one day get put in as well as the screen bur and desaturation .

for now I guess your just gonna have to stop suckin at the game 

A nice compromise would be to only desaturate/blur the edges of the screen like a vignette.

Just something I pulled off of google but it demonstrates what I'm talking about.

pxOb8Nnl.jpg

People are unable to manage their blood and health and complain about the effect?

I can't swim, fix this, remove water from pool!

People are unable to manage their blood and health and complain about the effect?

I can't swim, fix this, remove water from pool!

I think it's more of an immersion thing. Rather than going colorblind from lack of blood, I would prefer my vision to get blurry and possibly have some physical cues such as stumbling.

I agree but then i dont agree.. I think it should start kicking in when u lose alot of blood, not just a little.. I believe its like 1 or 2 hits before you start losing color. But I think my problem with it is how long you stay this way.. I know I saw something in a patch note about blood regeneration but I dont know for sure if it's in the game because my character hasnt seen good color for about a week now..

I think it's more of an immersion thing. Rather than going colorblind from lack of blood, I would prefer my vision to get blurry and possibly have some physical cues such as stumbling.

I don't understand in which way this is immersion breaking or ´´unrealistic´´ or whatever, since apparently color loss is a typical symptom of heavy bloodloss (I luckily have not experienced this myself)

PVP becomes impossible. No matter if you're 'against' it or 'for' it. And that's after even partial loss of vision because vision is so important.

I think, The DayZ team has to do some face-to-face research with people who have suffered blood loss, to varying degrees. 

It won't take much effort. C'mon, just because you've released the SA, doesn't mean you can put your feet up. 

I'm on the side of the OP. Bars are useful in games as I cannot actually feel or hear accurately what my character is experiencing in the game.

I want the eye and ear symbol back. How do I know the amount of sound I'm making? Is the sound in my headset accurately reflecting how easy I am to be heard by characters or zombies? You haven't a clue! In the mod I'd hear sounds that were not in balance with the ear scale... I also cannot tell how thick the grass is I'm in and how that reflects, in the games reality, to the zombies... the game has to tell me in order to make accurate decisions. In real life I know exactly how quiet I am being if I'm being sensed by a zombie by it's reactions... does it look around? This isn't and cannot be accurately modeled in a game. Same for if I'm able to be seen or not. 

I'm for having a button like "I" or something bring up a menu of the five bars. That's Stomach, Energy, Water, Blood, and Health... In the gameI can't really get a feeling that I'm not outright hungry but I could use a little bit of food. You can't accurately reproduce the complexity of the human nervous system without giving a direct measurement. I have many, many states of hunger, etc... Therefore I feel any system without a bar indicator is inherently inaccurate and unrealistic. I know EXACTLY how hungry I am in real life. If I've lost blood, I can feel faint, dizzy, light headed, etc.. and so so forth... I need a bar to get that level of feedback. Same with water. Same with sickness. I can know if I'm a little warm, hot, scratchy throat, itchy, nauseous(even before I'm near throwing up)... these lists go on and on... and again the only way to get that level of detail and realism translated to you as a player is a bar.

I know there are players on both sides... So, I think it should be a server option like 3rd person. To each their own.

• Like 1

Hi.

I think people are missing the point of these effects entirely.

It isn't just there to SHOW you your injured. It's to make an injured person less effective in battle. Of course, I'm sure that's the true reason most of you are bitching about it, not because the graphics don't look so good.

If anything, they should increase it, AND separate the injury-induced blur from the PP settings to keep people from turning it off.

Regards.

• Like 2