rocket

Another Quick Update 5 December 2013

The system was never designed or conceived to run such a huge amount of dynamic entities

I thought that's why it was being rewritten. If it's been rewritten, why does the new system think 10-15k objects is a lot? I mean, MMORPG's have bigger worlds and way more creatures/objects that do more complicated things than zombies. I've played on 75 player Tavi (DayZ Origins) servers that sent 10k+ objects to my client on log in. So have you REALLY improved efficiency since ArmA 2?

we missed a few things, and this results in weird out of sync errors in inventory between the client and the server.

How are there still synchronization issues in Bohemia games? How is that not a complete failure? How is that not fixable in 30 minutes by any programmer with a debugger?

What I really love on what I've seen in the recent Dev blog is the zombie interaction with the survivors.

Diablo 2 (well, D3 has this as well..but D3 has problems so..) is a hack and slash game, its hack & slash process is addictive and satisfying, and rewarding. It has a tone of simplicity but it's far from being boring, and I see this in the recent Vlog.

The zombie can be baited into attacking, when it misses, player would utilize the gap and attack the zombie. That simple, yet it already transcends the experience to a whole other level.

They also would pounce, and there's a random chance their attack would knock the player off their feet!!!

I'm absolutely loving this right now. :P

Edited by Day Unit

Posted this in yesterdays update before it was closed:

"As I understand it you've been working on and off with the Arma team and this can somewhat be considered to run on an Arma 2.5 engine (correct me if I'm wrong).

That so, have you guys managed to solve the optimization issues that Arma 2 and 3 face that limit the FPS even in singleplayer without using 100% GPU, RAM, or anywhere even above 70% CPU? - it's not bottlenecked by users system specs.  This issue is even worse on servers when servers restrict frames even more (I know you're working on that aspect), but the issue for frames is in the code of the arma engine offline as well.

Keep up the good work!  (and maybe give a nudge to your Arma friends to gut their codes too…"

I got some responses emphasizing that you've gutted the Arma 2.5 engine and essentially created your own, but I still don't know if the optimization issues I described have been addressed.  Any word?

We knew we were getting close the instant those newly added to the testing group stopped saying "when's the next build coming?" and started saying "is the server going to stay up for a while longer?"

Tester group you say... and how does one get access to said group? Would love to help test, been playing since April 2012.

Too late for Nelson Mandela.. See what you've done Mr. Dean "Hall" Rocket?

Edited by ZlobaRUS54
  • Like 2

How are there still synchronization issues in Bohemia games? How is that not a complete failure? How is that not fixable in 30 minutes by any programmer with a debugger?

Well, failure compared to what? You show me a game that delivers what DayZ deliver in a better way and THEN you can say DayZ is a complete failure. 

Edited by leodacosta
  • Like 1

You really just asked this? You're an idiot.

First off its quite clear to comprehend you have no idea about programming as we're not using ASM we're using c++ this means we use a COMPILER.

Creating a network architecture that handles 15k dynamic objects. This means player items, bats, equips and the states they're in. This averages out at 8 per player. Think of it like this, a zombie hits a player and the hoodie gets damaged. This means that the servers has to first calculate the date the zombie did, whether you bat hit affected its hitting capabilities If your bat got damaged if it alerted other zombies. How much damage the zombie did to you how much damage you did to it, can it walk, can you walk.

It's probably doing that for 5 players at any one time ON TOP OF keeping all zombies alive and checking their status. Running validation checks to ensure players are correctly playing the game, to ensure no duping. If the batteries on your m4 Cco have run out whether you're travelling at the correct speed.

Can you see now its not simple AT all. And these are just some of the things that a server has to do. Not only do but be written!! This is not even anything to do with the desynchronisation issues they're more to worry about

• Like 2

you have no idea about programming as we're not using ASM we're using c++ this means we use a COMPILER.

Why do you feel the need to mention that ASM isn't being used and that C/C++ needs to be compiled? Is it because I mentioned "debugger"? Seriously, why did you even make that statement? To say that a program written in C++ can't be used in a debugger? What kind of IDE is Bohemia using, then, lol?

Also, all of the things you mentioned are not even close to computationally intensive. You could run through all of that arithmetic tens of thousands of times per second. I mean, damn, you could be lazy and loop through ten thousand zombie xyz's with a 3d dist formula and STILL not come close to touching the 5 ms window "20 server fps" aims at.

I mean, they ARE using C/C++, right? Right?

Edited by gummy52
  • Like 1

Also, all of the things you mentioned are not even close to computationally intensive. You could run through all of that arithmetic tens of thousands of times per second. I mean, damn, you could be lazy and loop through ten thousand zombie xyz's with a 3d dist formula and STILL not come close to touching the 5 ms window "20 server fps" aims at.

Off you go then, show us how its done. I'll be waiting here.

• Like 2

I suppose I should balance with, that after each build, things can get very messy including:

* inventory not syncing

* duplicated characters both running around according to characters controls

* invisible bodies (just floating heads)

* Many more!

So sometimes its good sometimes its not :)

Floating heads should be considered a feature. Advantage: small target. Disadvantage: you can't do anything except bite.

Edited by Ham_Sandwich27

It's a pity that you are so smart and everyone else so horribly stupid.

If only Bohemia would give you 30 minutes with their code, all synchronization issues would be fixed. That's really all it would take. Sadly, they just never thought of this.

• Like 4

Now we just gotta keep our fingers crossed that Mike doesn't fuck it all up.

Bloody Mike.

Drue, why did you feel the need to mention that ASM isn't being used and that C/C++ needs to be compiled? Is it because I mentioned "debugger"? Seriously, why did you even make that statement? To say that a program written in C++ can't be used in a debugger? What kind of IDE is Bohemia using, then, lol??

I mean, they ARE using C/C++, right? Right?

Does know how to Hello-World.

Think he could programm a whole multiplayer game in 5 min.

tumblr_lcfh4ivwxS1qa1xnko1_500.gif
P.S. this is good mask for SA

Edited by Ustor

It's a pity that you are so smart and everyone else so horribly stupid.

If only Bohemia would give you 30 minutes with their code, all synchronization issues would be fixed. That's really all it would take. Sadly, they just never thought of this.

401) Duck Feeding:

The feeding of Ducks is strictly forbidden as it may result in undesired life extension.

401) Duck Feeding:

The feeding of Ducks is strictly forbidden as it may result in undesired life extension.

But they're starving, look:

1zDIOCz.jpg

Hicks posted about pre alpha testing on Reddit. Don't know how to link. Apologies.

Too late for Nelson Mandela.. See what you've done Mr. Dean "Hall" Rocket?

Think of all the people that wanted to play the SA atleast once in their lifes, but died in a car accident.

Horrific thought, it could happen to all of us. No SA... ever.

Edited by Wayze

401) Duck Feeding:

This forum has some incredible double standards.