rocket

Quick status update for week 8 November

how much is the Alpha going to cost?

the general tenor is 15 - 20$/€ but that's just speculation though.

It doesn't matter what I think. We are talking about reality. The reality is that neither one of us has played the SA, so making a snap judgment based on a few performance bugs that we have no experienced is pretty pointless now isn't it?

At an average of 5FPS it is playable but it's definitely not to the level of performance that the team wants and comes with a few problems.

There is definite rubber-banding by the zombies when it goes that low which the devs don't want, it's not always noticeable but when it does happen it tends to ruin immersion a bit and they want it to be smooth before it is released.

The performance target quite hasn't been reached yet, as Rocket said though it's close - just not quite to the level they want.

I don't find it bad at all but Rocket and the devs want a solid 15FPS average before they kick it out the door and I think it's a perfectly achievable goal that is a big difference when compared to ~5FPS.

• Like 1

the general tenor is 15 - 20$/€ but that's just speculation though.

But it's pretty realistic. I would be surprised if it was more.

I would be pleasantly surprised if it costed less :)

*hint hint ;)

It doesn't matter what I think. We are talking about reality. The reality is that neither one of us has played the SA, so making a snap judgment based on a few performance bugs that we have no experienced is pretty pointless now isn't it?

Oh wow.

"Oh no, I don't actually have a good point"

"Better dodge the whole discussion and try to end it"

The reality is, and I quote you on this, that you said

"It has already been established by precedent in both this game and other video games that 5[...] server fps is sufficient, anything above that is actually rather incredble"

Which is flat out wrong. This has nothing to do with what the team thinks, what rocket thinks, what anybody else thinks, this is about you spreading misinformation.

Your post wasn't even written just in the context for the Mod or SA, you made the claim, that in general, anything above 5 fps for game servers is more than sufficient and actually incredible

Saying that 5 fps are sufficient (providing as much as is needed) and anything above it is incredible implies that the game works flawlessly at 5 fps. Or, since you seem to be so fond of the word "functional", it means that the game is fully functional at 5 fps. Which, as rocket confirmed, it is not.

I'll break this whole discussion (though it sadly hardly is one, considering that you don't seem to have a point) down in the most atomically way I can think of:

You said that 5 fps are enough

I said 5 fps are not enough

Rocket said 5 fps are not enough

The only question that remains is if you truly think that 5 fps are sufficient, thereby ignoring hard evidence, or if you'll finally admit that you didn't think it through when your wrote that post back then.

Edited by Elo
  • Like 1

Keep up the good work DayZ team and make us DayZ SA we all are eagerly waiting for!

Keep your personal squabbles out of this Topic.

Yes, I'm looking at you !

5 server fps = no good.

15 server fps =  acceptable.

As said by the OP :

"We think we need a minimum of 15 FPS will 50 players, 2000 zombies, and 25000 loot items"

I seriously wouldnt even mind this game being like 40 - 60 bucks. I almost WANT to donate to Rocket, more money than just buying the game. Great times in DayZ.

I seriously wouldnt even mind this game being like 40 - 60 bucks. I almost WANT to donate to Rocket, more money than just buying the game. Great times in DayZ.

Good goy. First you impress them, then you secude them, and then you cry out to them for help; and they will give you money just to calm you.

Keep your personal squabbles out of this Topic.

OhGodOhGodOhGodOhGod

Uhh, nice thread, Rocket! I really like this game. Can't wait till you've fixed all the issues and we all can play happily :lol:

Edited by HumanBeing25
  • Like 2

Lol okay let's not keep splitting hairs. Rocket said and I even quoted, ​the game functions at 5 spfs, with the only issue being the rubber banding zombies. That means it's basically sufficient to run the game, but not quite enough to meet performance specs. That's exactly what I've been saying this whole time. Elo, you're clearly just picking a fight for no reason at all. They are improving performance as we speak. It doesn't matter what differences we have in our subjective understanding of the word sufficient. It's pointless. The point is exactly what Boneboys just said.

I'm not even saying the game should be released with that kind of performance, I'm just showing that at minimum, 5 sfps is still running the game. I am simply providing a point of comparison to demonstrate that 10 - 15 - 20 server fps does not mean your client will be rendering at 10- 15- 20 fps. The point is, we don't need to freak out about fps before we get to see it for ourselves.

I'd like to see them run some contests during launch. Make it fun!

How about a contest to see who can keep their initial SA dude alive the longest? I know my first dude is gonna be the most precious. I'm immediately running inland and playing it as safe and smart as possible (assuming a glitch doesn't kill me, lol).

How bout first to 100 kills? 1000 kills? Whatever, just to add a little festivity to the festivities. 

How bout first to 100 kills? 1000 kills?

I really, really hope you mean zed kills.

• Like 1

Oh sure, that too hehe

• Like 1

Dean and crew are going to make a mind-blowing survival game. The players are going to make it a shitty free for all deathmatch game.

• Like 5

Lol okay let's not keep splitting hairs. Rocket said and I even quoted, the game functions at 5 spfs, with the only issue being the rubber banding zombies.

Link ?

Link ?

Mind if I butt in?: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1q7bcs/teased_tormented_abusedcome_on_rocket_and_co_give/cd9zsu2?context=3

Edit: Rocket has stated that was a couple weeks ago that was occurring, not too sure if this is still happening now :)

Edited by TIC321

Does anyone know at what sort of framerates DayZ mod servers run at both just after a restart and for example 3-4 hours after?

Edited by R3con

Does anyone know at what sort of framerates DayZ mod servers run at both just after a restart and for example 3-4 hours after?

That is a good question.  I would like to know.  I betcha it is below 15 server fps

Dean and crew are going to make a mind-blowing survival game. The players are going to make it a shitty free for all deathmatch game.

I fear this.  It'll probably be all nice and friendly until a few streamers start showing 1337 killz feedz.  Then a bunch of people wo watch that streamer will try to copycat the 1337 killz feedzzz.  

At that point I  :facepalm: and keep on playing the survival game in hopes that the next guy I run into actually wants to interact before KoSing me with a Makarov or some other shit.  

Hopefully bullets are rare, and characters are valuable enough that random KoS isn't profitable or as fun.  

• Like 1

That is a good question.  I would like to know.  I betcha it is below 15 server fps

irrelevant. The Arma client does most of the game in the mod, handles zombie/loot spawns etc... 

I fear this.  It'll probably be all nice and friendly until a few streamers start showing 1337 killz feedz.  Then a bunch of people wo watch that streamer will try to copycat the 1337 killz feedzzz.  

At that point I  :facepalm: and keep on playing the survival game in hopes that the next guy I run into actually wants to interact before KoSing me with a Makarov or some other shit.  

Hopefully bullets are rare, and characters are valuable enough that random KoS isn't profitable or as fun.  

The only hope we have is that Dean doesn't lose focus on making the game stupidly hard so people with short attention spans and limited adaptability and creativity just quit.

Limited ammunition is an excellent and easy way of doing this. If you want to go on a killing spree, you should have to save ammunition for weeks and earn that psycho spree.

Edited by AnarchyBrownies