rocket

Quick status update for week 8 November

irrelevant. The Arma client does most of the game in the mod, handles zombie/loot spawns etc... 

So is ping more important?  What is important?

The only hope we have is that Dean doesn't lose focus on making the game stupidly hard so people with short attention spans and limited adaptability and creativity just quit.

Limited ammunition is an excellent and easy way of doing this. If you want to go on a killing spree, you should have to save ammunition for weeks and earn that psycho spree.

Yeah.  I have don't really hate people who KoS all the time.  I just don't understand why.  Running into and random player and actually talking to them is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more fun than 2 seconds of thrill from blasting them.  I never understand that mentality.  Especially in fresh spawns.  As a fresh spawn with nothing to lose, teaming up is always more rewarding in terms of fun factor.  A the misadventures of unequipped people is always tons of fun.  

Sure "they are a threat, I can't trust them".   But it is a game.  I try to trust people and it usually pays off.  Traitors are more fun than KoS people.  When I want thrilling action, I go play Arma.  I guess people like finding guns and then shooting people w/ zombies running around in the background ;) :D

I think Standalone will correct many of these issues.  It is the age old issues haha

• Like 1

Yeah.  I have don't really hate people who KoS all the time.  I just don't understand why.  Running into and random player and actually talking to them is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more fun than 2 seconds of thrill from blasting them.  I never understand that mentality.  Especially in fresh spawns.  As a fresh spawn with nothing to lose, teaming up is always more rewarding in terms of fun factor.  A the misadventures of unequipped people is always tons of fun.  

Sure "they are a threat, I can't trust them".   But it is a game.  I try to trust people and it usually pays off.  Traitors are more fun than KoS people.  When I want thrilling action, I go play Arma.  I guess people like finding guns and then shooting people w/ zombies running around in the background ;) :D

I think Standalone will correct many of these issues.  It is the age old issues haha

The ideal situation would be if there was somehow a balance of play types, KoS included. KoS adds risk to meeting people, which adds to the drama and, therefore the fun. But when EVERYONE goes KoS it's no longer drama or fun, it's predictable and ruins a dynamic game. 

• Like 2

The ideal situation would be if there was somehow a balance of play types, KoS included. KoS adds risk to meeting people, which adds to the drama and, therefore the fun. But when EVERYONE goes KoS it's no longer drama or fun, it's predictable and ruins a dynamic game. 

Hopefully there will be more option in SA.  peoplew would KoS since they got bored and there was no endgame.  I think they have been working on the endgame at little for the alpha

At that point I  :facepalm: and keep on playing the survival game in hopes that the next guy I run into actually wants to interact before KoSing me with a Makarov or some other shit.  

Hopefully bullets are rare, and characters are valuable enough that random KoS isn't profitable or as fun.  

I would give you a dozen cans for this if I could.

Would run with you anytime, Vin.

:thumbsup: :beans:

I fear this.  It'll probably be all nice and friendly until a few streamers start showing 1337 killz feedz.  Then a bunch of people wo watch that streamer will try to copycat the 1337 killz feedzzz.  

At that point I  :facepalm: and keep on playing the survival game in hopes that the next guy I run into actually wants to interact before KoSing me with a Makarov or some other shit.  

Hopefully bullets are rare, and characters are valuable enough that random KoS isn't profitable or as fun.  

I dont know dude, before KoS became the norm... a good percentage would team up, till you found something rare, like a box o matches, then BANG, in the back o the head.  This really used to piss me off, and making bullets rare, is just going to make it a "sucker kill" fest. Which is defiantly more infuriating than KoS. So i sure as hell wont be teaming with randoms, only peeps i know. And you should expect an axe to the face frequently, if you let randoms get close enough to you to do it. This is dayz, what it always was (well i was only playin since may 2012, so since then... ive never seen this one i hear people reminiscing about when people were all friendly, they were just more cunning)

Edited by KingOchaos
  • Like 1

I dont know dude, before KoS became the norm... a good percentage would team up, till you found something rare, like a box o matches, then BANG, in the back o the head.  This really used to piss me off, and making bullets rare, is just going to make it a "sucker kill" fest. Which is defiantly more infuriating than KoS. So i sure as hell wont be teaming with randoms, only peeps i know. And you should expect an axe to the face frequently, if you let randoms get close enough to you to do it. This is dayz, what it always was (well i was only playin since may 2012, so since then... ive never seen this one i hear people reminiscing about when people were all friendly, they were just more cunning)

I have been playing for a long time. I have had very few cases where i was betrayed.  More random KoS, which doesn't really make me mad.  I have lots of good experiences teaming up with randoms

• Like 1

soon we gonna start hearing mass shootings.. people all around the world will pack a backpack and go out and start shooting & looting & eating canned food and taking crap out in the open just because of rocket who keeps postponing dayz.

So is ping more important?  What is important?

I would say without a doubt in the mod ping, whereas in the SA server fps (although always ping is important). Whats irrelevant is making a comparison between sa and mod server fps rates. 

• Like 1

Sure "they are a threat, I can't trust them".   But it is a game.  ...

I think this way too but there is a big difference between "I can't trust you" and "I should just shot you."

My random team-ups have been worth the times people would shoot at me when I approached them.

We shall see.....

I think this way too but there is a big difference between "I can't trust you" and "I should just shot you."

My random team-ups have been worth the times people would shoot at me when I approached them.

We shall see.....

I agree.  I have died because I don't like shooting people randomly.  

One time recently I was in a barn near the coast.  Some dude ran in with an enfield.  I typed "friendly" and went to put my ax down.  But before I could do that, the guy shot me while I was in the inventory screen looking down.  

I just wondered "why the fuck would you do that".   It is so shallow.  The guy was too lazy to interact.  I posed ZERO threat.  There was no reason to shoot me other than illegitimate thoughts "like what if he finds a gun".  

IT is SOO easy.  Whenever I find a fresh spawn that I don't want to deal with.  I simply tell them to run away.  It is super easy.   The killing is not an authentic scenario in the apocalypse.  Have you ever seen a movie or read a book where a character finds a unarmed person and then stand there for a second before blasting them? They would not open fire, but rob them, or tell them to leave.  

In the Road (spoiler for those who haven't read it 

The main characters are looking through a ship wreck. They leave their cart with their gear some distance away.

Upon returning to the cart's location, they realize it has been stolen.

They chase after the tracks and eventually come across a man trying to steal it. He has no weapon but a small knife.

Instead of stupidly wasting ammo, unnecessarily, the main character tells the man to drop his knife, his clothes, and go away.

The man complies and gets to live. I feel this is 10x more authentic than random murdering "just cuz lol \('Д')/ ".

In the end, my frustration is petty and I can just respawn. Like I said many times, people do fun things and don't randomly shoot.  Just my opinion :)

/rant

EDIT SPELLING

Edited by Vindicator
  • Like 1

Yup. Only the toothless rapey shit for brains pose a threat. Not the average survivor.

I have faith in Rocket and Co.

It will be a survivable horror (without being an abject murderer).

Edit: post 666

The above song fills me with as much joy as the prospect of the SA.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

Sorry to continue, I know its mildly off-topic. I'll bring it back at the end . . .

Agreed and glad someone else mentioned this. I'm a little suspect of the reminiscing about the "good ole dayz of DayZ". The mod wasn't out for very long before the mass of us signed up in May/June '12. KOS was already a concern when I started playing in late May. There was maybe a two week period in early May when KOS wasn't a primary concern?

Also remember inspiration for the game came from Dean's experience in the N.Z. armed forces while on a survival training mission. A main point there is that he stole food from his squadmates because he was in such dire straits. The whole point was a game of such nastiness that players might be forced into unethical behavior. It's that whole, "Normally I say I don't steal, ever. But what if my life depended on it?"

So many players seem to be expressing this varied desire at the SA fixing some issue with kos. I recognize most are wanting some sort of readjustment, not a complete 180. However I would temper that expectation. There's a thousand reasons why, but as a social experiment DayZ has proven unequivocally it is a kos world. Being a survivor sucks, although there is a nobility to it. But every man has his breaking point. For most it's just a few hours.

The ping issue being addressed is fantastic, though. I've lost so many engagements because my game can stutter during combat. I wonder how much banditry is a function of success. Maybe leveling the playing field between high end rigs and lower pcs/laptops will cause some hesitation for combat as bandits find it less successful to prey on low end rig folks.

• Like 3

So many players seem to be expressing this varied desire at the SA fixing some issue with kos. I recognize most are wanting some sort of readjustment, not a complete 180. However I would temper that expectation. There's a thousand reasons why, but as a social experiment DayZ has proven unequivocally it is a kos world. Being a survivor sucks, although there is a nobility to it. But every man has his breaking point. For most it's just a few hours.

Well put.

Unfortunately there is a reason why average intelligence is, average. Culture is essentially a democracy in that the majority rules.

I began playing the mod around the time you had and I was sad to see KoS mentality take over. As I am a fan of survival horror and not FPS games I merely learned to play on low pop servers and did things many people would probably find boring.

There are also quite a few factors of the SA's initial state upon release that may contribute to more survivors being interested in playing than bandit minded people. No vehicles and limited weaponry will keep some away. Others may not have the patience to deal with glitches that may pop up.

I'm a hopeful, idealistic gamer at heart but the fatalist in me also knows the reality of people, given guns, with little to no consequence for their actions, and what they are capable of. Griefers gonna grief....

Edited by BioHaze

Well put.

Unfortunately there is a reason why average intelligence is, average. Culture is essentially a democracy in that the majority rules.

I began playing the mod around the time you had and I was sad to see KoS mentality take over. As I am a fan of survival horror and not FPS games I merely learned to play on low pop servers and did things many people would probably find boring.

There are also quite a few factors of the SA's initial state upon release that may contribute to more survivors being interested in playing than bandit minded people. No vehicles and limited weaponry will keep some away. Others may not have the patience to deal with glitches that may pop up.

I'm a hopeful, idealistic gamer at heart but the fatalist in me also knows the reality of people, given guns, with little to no consequence for their actions, and what they are capable of. Griefers gonna grief....

Werd. I'm afraid I'm guilty as well. I can't do it anymore. I've turned evil, not even banditry, just murder. I killed a guy yesterday, for really no reason. He combat logged. Whatever.

It's funny though, "little to no consequence for their actions, and what they are capable of. Griefers gonna grief...." Dean Hall, as a player, claims he doesn't do any of that but he project leads the game showing off grieving tools i.e. handcuffs, restraint mechanism, radios. It's interesting.

I agree SA will be pleasantly limited in scope and survival might be an issue. In that case, we could see some genuine desire for cooperation. 1.7.7.1 anyone? "Patch is going to be SUPER hard for new players. Hell even hard for vets."--quote from a guy on 1.7.7 forum page. I hope they get some of that in there. I never played 1.7.7 without a teammate, cuz otherwise I'd die. 

Anyone wonder if there'll be "Utes people'? Players that are so paranoid that they hunker down out there and never come to the mainland? I'm considering that as a strategy, since I want to keep my first character alive as long as possible.

It's funny though, "little to no consequence for their actions, and what they are capable of. Griefers gonna grief...." Dean Hall, as a player, claims he doesn't do any of that but he project leads the game showing off grieving tools i.e. handcuffs, restraint mechanism, radios. It's interesting.

I agree SA will be pleasantly limited in scope and survival might be an issue. In that case, we could see some genuine desire for cooperation. 1.7.7.1 anyone? "Patch is going to be SUPER hard for new players. Hell even hard for vets."--quote from a guy on 1.7.7 forum page. I hope they get some of that in there. I never played 1.7.7 without a teammate, cuz otherwise I'd die. 

Anyone wonder if there'll be "Utes people'? Players that are so paranoid that they hunker down out there and never come to the mainland? I'm considering that as a strategy, since I want to keep my first character alive as long as possible.

Those items Dean showed are to "improve" survivor-bandit interaction beyond shooting at eachother, they are not grieving tools. A lot of people dislike bandits(for obvious reasons), but they are not griefers. They have their own role to play, and adding these items will make that more fluid.

About Utes; I had forgotten they added that to the map, I'm usually a lonely survivor, so I might actually go with that plan. Let's see if all the "nice" people move there or whether it will be used as a giant bandit base. xD

Im sorry but i really have to mention imo the biggest problem of the current dayz sa state.

It was also a big problem in the mod.

There is just no reason to kill zombies because you can just hide inside buildings(mod) or don't stop moving.

Zombies won't be a threat if they are unable to attack and move at the same time.

Same applies to updating player position. As you can see, the zombie attacks where the player WAS standing, not where he actually is.

As long as zombies behave like that, players will ignore them just like in the mod and an endless pvp fest will begin.

I know that its still pre-alpha but the devs don't seem to notice the problem i'm talking about.

jesus whats with the godam FPV and motion blur in every dev. blog ???

NO ONE wants to see that...

and who turned the sunlight effect up to 11 ??? yeah its pretty, but holy crap i can see that being annoying in short order with how much it takes away from your siteline along the ground looking even remotely close to the direction the sun is..

i see melee is still horrible. /sigh

• Like 2

You aren't paying attention.

Firstly some of the added glare is due to time of day in game. Everyone needs to relax on that one observation.

I know that its still pre-alpha but the devs don't seem to notice the problem i'm talking about.

I think you aren't taking all of the factors into consideration here.

1. Hetstaine is actively dodging the attacks to use the last frames of animation to essentially "back stab" the zombies. A good ol' shot to the back of the head is always ideal....

2. The zombies you are looking at are likely "skeletal" in nature as they do not include much of the planned AI and programming that will go into them in the future.

3. For the game to be a balanced survival experience it was more important for them to make hoards of zombies very dangerous and not individual zombies.

*If you are going to take the time to post and criticize please go scour Rockets reddit feed and read the first page of the Round Up threads.... 

Its just my opinion, i am not criticizing anything or anyone. As far as i know, thats why this thread is open, to share your opinion.

Also, i don't agree with your first argument, i would say that he's dodging the attacks in the FIRST frames of animation.

Since i am not trying to start a hate war, lets just end it here. I shared my opinion, you shared yours.

No war intended what so ever.

In the future I was hoping that they could add an attack for zombies at point blank range where the zombie would grab your character by their nearest limb and try to bite.