SmashT

November Round-up

man I like h3l1x's idea more and more - some loot is free and easy to get at and other potentially more valuable loot is locked up and would require a door to be broken down or a lock to be opened/destroyed.

I love helicopter crashes, but I don't think we should ever see them happening. Hearing a helicopter and then wondering, "Is it AI or a player?" detracts from the experience. 

There's a very eerie sensation to seeing the flames and smoke of a solitary wreckage, silent. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of locked cabinets, lockers, etc...  no matter though if anything like breaking into "locked" areas is ever implemented, it should be a process that obviously disarms the players (making him/her defenseless while attempting to break the lock), take some time to try and have a percent chance to fail (and possibly destroy the item using to try to break in with) and make noise (possibly even attracting zeds)

sounds like fallout.. No i say, if you want to make things "realistic", then make them realistic. sure if you have the tools you can open em more quietly. But smashing things open is realistic, houses IRL are not very secure, truth is you could smash your way straight through the walls, or roof without any real specalist gear in most houses, without even thinking about windows.

I shit you not, one smack with an axe will open any padlock, ive done it plenty when ive miss placed keys etc, i dont stuff around with em, it takes 5 seconds to open one. adding in all this unrealistic realistic stuff, is just infuriating, like in fallout, you have all these hp weapons, and you cant get through a stupid door.  If we want realism, we should have realism, not add gimmicky little game mechanics for the sake o it.

sounds like fallout.. No i say, if you want to make things "realistic", then make them realistic. sure if you have the tools you can open em more quietly. But smashing things open is realistic, houses IRL are not very secure, truth is you could smash your way straight through the walls, or roof without any real specalist gear in most houses, without even thinking about windows.

I shit you not, one smack with an axe will open any padlock, ive done it plenty when ive miss placed keys etc, i dont stuff around with em, it takes 5 seconds to open one. adding in all this unrealistic realistic stuff, is just infuriating, like in fallout, you have all these hp weapons, and you cant get through a stupid door.  If we want realism, we should have realism, not add gimmicky little game mechanics for the sake o it.

thing is though we are talking about a game, not real life.  There are reasons you can fly a helicopter in a game or bandage a 30 cal gunshot wound with a bandaid or run for 5 miles without stopping.

You guys all crack me up with the ultiamte realism, immersion comments - any game is about fun, plain and simple so to that end game makers need to add elements that are fun, balanced, rewarding, etc... If you want to blast open a padlock with an axe go to walmart and buy the stuff you need and knock yourself out.

• Like 1

Big ass boltcutters. Make a model, turn it into a tool, there you go. Can cut through wire mesh, padlocks, razor wire, etc.

And now that I'm thinking about it, what I'd like to see would be locked buildings/loot containers. Let's say, military stashes in camps, cabinets in police stations, locked warehouses, even locked flats/houses. No more free running through every single building in a world where there are no locks and locked doors.

IMO this would be much more realistic not to mention it would make looting a harder procedure. Needing a crowbar, boltcutters, tools, in order to gain access into a specific area.

I'd go for this. There's definitely a click whirr thing that happens with locked "treasure chests". Is it Skyrim that has that fun little pick lock mechanic to open chests? Definite sense of gratification when one opens one of those.

In fact, what a great way to tier the loot. Not only does one need to be at the right place for a certain item, but they might need certain tools as well-adding some nice depth to looting.

Is this the longest topic of this forum?

Edited by Quanaril

Choo Choo! I don't know how to fucking post images, I'm a loser

But no matter, 200 pages!, now where's my fucking game?

jk, keep that hypetrain rollin' boys!

i can feel it. it's soon. 

774.gif

jk i just came across this gif and it applied to this situation perfectly

Edited by elf cakes
  • Like 1

So, to everyone discussing locks, Epoch, and whatnot I will say this.

Everything requires a counter.

In Epoch, bases are indestructible and you're SOL without the passcodes. This is a dumb system.

If one puts up a locked wooden door, one should require a wood axe to chop it down. Or a suitable breaching round.

If one puts up a metal door with a heavy padlock, one requires a satchel charge to blow it up or a welding kit to deconstruct it.

These are just examples. You can apply any level of granularity that you like to the particulars, but to make it a decent system without screwing people over... it has to be rock/paper/scissors. If this type of balanced system were to be implemented, I'd support fortification on any building (including high-value loot buildings should they exist in SA).

I don't think underground bunkers are the right way to go. Or rather, they shouldn't be the only way they're going. Underground bunkers work fine as a top tier construction. However, for low and mid-level construction, I think the fortification of existing structures is more than suitable. It then complements the "end-game" bunker, rather than just leaving it on its own. Likewise, it's easier to predict (as there's only X amount of possible fortification "slots" per building, and Y amount of buildings on the map).

. I like the idea of base building, I think I have an idea that could make it work. The two DayZ building systems I am familiar with are Epoch and Origins. Either way (I like Epoch myself) I really think some form of base building is important. Upon completing the 'doors' (final step of 'enclosing' an area with a lock) and have a lock you get a key. The magic-ness of the key is this. As long as you are alive, your 'base' is 'indestructible' and the lock can not be broken (adds real importance to keeping your guy alive). Once you die however, the lock can be broken and contents easily raided. The key can be scavenged from the survivor/hero/bandits body and will allow instant access to said lock. Have construction need 'maintenance' if the 'original' owner gets killed. Construction 'deteriorates' and is wiped from the server on day 7 without (or orig builder does not login to server). Have a mechanic that if the key is used, the clock resets to 14 days, so if IRL things come up, give the key to a mate. Either way, if the 'original owner' doesn't at least log-in for 14 days, construction gets cleaned. There would have to be some sort of mechanic to keep griefing to a minimum. 30m plot pole comes to mind (Epoch), non 'locked' walls deteriorate in just 3 days? Just a few ideas...

I don't know why but I miss HumanBeing25.

bump

Soon we reach 200 pages.

I don't. 

Is this the longest topic of this forum?

We have failed Rocket master race
Edited by Vindicator

today in our first "pagely" fun fact - 200

Brahmanism evolves into Hinduism (approx. this year)

i love the fact that we may see whole logging companies  and RIVERS. i love that we will have rivers

Edited by joe_mcentire

i love the fact that we may see whole logging companies  and RIVERS. i love that we will have rivers

I reserve the right to start protesting at illegal logging, and I'm not talking about the khazi, innit :)

200 pages and still no standalone release? Fuck this. I'm done. I'm out. They've hurt me for the last time!!!!

Only joking. I'm here for the long haul ya'll.

The alpha wont release this year. 

I think ive lost interest in the standalone.

Taking far to long and putting a ton of crap in the game that nobody wants. 

The alpha wont release this year. 

I think ive lost interest in the standalone.

Taking far to long and putting a ton of crap in the game that nobody wants. 

You'll buy it. You're just putting on a show.

• Like 3

two headed cows, moo.

There was some discussion about storage couple pages back. My opinion is no storage so there won't be any hoarding and it's more difficult. Some storage only in vehicles is OK. It's always a let down in the mod when you just go to your tent or find someone's tent that got weapons and mags. I don't see anything fun about that.

^ it is realistic tho. Raid someone elses camp.

Can be realistic but can make the game boring very quickly.

There was some discussion about storage couple pages back. My opinion is no storage so there won't be any hoarding and it's more difficult. Some storage only in vehicles is OK. It's always a let down in the mod when you just go to your tent or find someone's tent that got weapons and mags. I don't see anything fun about that.

aslong as admins cant abuse powers with storage then its fine.

still no comments on admin tools and what they can and cant do for standalone why is it so hard to just reply to?

ive asked matt no comment i asked rocket he doesnt reply i asked razor he said its nothing to do with him bu was very polite and quick in answering. the whole game revolves around this and knowing about what admins who control your server you play on are limited or not limited to do.

It's not fun because there are no consequences. Storage itself isn't the problem. In fact, it'd be a disservice to not have storage. It seems there are a few schools of thought regarding storage, persistence, and construction. One of which is the idea that DayZ is supposed to be this fleeting nomadic experience where the player isn't supposed to settle down even to the slightest degree. I don't see that as the sole purpose of DayZ. This gets back to the idea of "DayZ is what you make it", and settlements (however small they may be) have not been accurately provided for in DayZ. Tents are part of an immensely flawed system, that needs to be addressed and expanded upon.

The problem is with persistence. The tents stay put after your character dies for a long while. That needs to no longer be the case. You die, your shit goes with you within ten minutes so that the people who killed you can loot it and you cannot haul ass back and get your stuff 9 times out of 10.

Hoarding isn't a bad thing, it's a bad thing when the loot is plentiful. What if that player worked his/her ass off to get all that loot? The problem is that, in the mod, it takes far too little effort to gather loot. Likewise, the system for storing loot is far too forgiving.

Lockable containers would curb, like you said, people having ready access to other people's stashes and would add consequence to checking out a structure/tent. You can't just loot and bail, you have to linger. You also have to have a particular set of equipment (which takes up inventory space/slots) to open said lock or deconstruct said barricade. Hell, you might not even be able to loot the thing at all if you don't have the right equipment for that particular lock. That and it seems that the inventory in SA will curb the benefits of looting stashes as well.

Personally, I think storage should be a feature that is widespread. Defunct refrigerators, boxes, cabinets, nightstands, etc. Every house should have some form of container inside, or multiple containers. As of now, houses (even with interiors) are just shells. There is no depth, no use to anything inside the house save for a few nebulous loot spawns.

In other words, there's nothing inherently wrong with "putting stuff inside other stuff". <Insert Joke Here>.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3