Ozelot (DayZ)

Will hackers really be subdued in SA? Not likely.

A sniper :lol:

First the dude has to find a sniper, if he is lucky as hell, he may find half a mag with it. Well, I don't think you are able to ruin a game with 4 shots, no matter how much aimbot you use. And I am pretty sure that an aimbot won't work, I mean it would be a freaking complicated aimbot, calculating the weapons velocity, the players distance, where to aim to hit the player and ofcourse it would have to have some kind of system that detects where the player will move the next second.

Yea, I don't see that happen.

It's often mentioned but we don't know if the weapons and ammo will be that rare. Also, more likely than not there will be aimbot hacks for the SA, let's not kid ourselves. We're going to have to wait and see what kind of detection/anti hack measures will be taken against those types of hacks.

It doesn't mean the game is ruined however. The main point is, with the new architecture even in the worst case scenario the hacking situation will be much better than it has ever been in the mod as most of the game breaking hacks will be simply impossible (teleportation, item spawning, godmode, etc).

Not really. VAC is a bad decision (what is rocket even thinking?!). ESP cheats won't be detected, and many cheaters will use them. It's not something obvious, but it will hurt many people.

I might have misunderstood something, but doesn't a VAC-ban mean that you lose your entire Steam account?

This would be a pretty good deterrent against the 'my-brother/cat-did-it' school of cheaters. Or if not, a fitting punishment when they get caught.

We're discussing the Standalone here - and the discussion is going on about what you're describing you experienced and whether it's going to be happening less in the SA.

And it's more than likely that the scripting-problems are going to be solved with the SA and therefore there is no need to have anything else other than publichive, which makes your argumentation redundant.

As much as I understand your pain there's no need to say we need private hives for SA, as there isn't going to be anything like modding anyway and private hives would in no way be safer than publichive in SA.

And what you're saying about publichive is not true anymore as well. We actually have the ability to make our servers safe now and there are a couple of servers out there that are making their servers safe. And the reason why I was saying that, is that I am running 2 servers that have a very good antihack installed which many private hives don't even have. That plus active staff supporting a server makes it better than private hives. You just have to find a server like that, but they are out there and they are still on publichive.

Again, if that's your expierience, I'm happy for you. But the public hive is STILL not as safe as some better administrated private hives. And when script kiddies DO get in, and even if you have active admins like the private hives to find and ban these script kiddies, you still don't roll back the legit player's survivors like the private servers I play on do. Legit players still lose everything. I don't mind losing everything to another legit player, it's part of the game, and it's that hardcore nature that brought me to DayZ. But I'll be damned if I'm going to lose hours, days, or even weeks worth of game play to a script and be happy about it. The rollbacks on the private servers solve this problem for me. After the script kiddie gets banned, you just let the admins know through the forum thread that springs from the ban, or on their teamspeak of live chat if you want your character rolled back.

And I've not seen or heard anything yet about solving the server hopping and ghosting exploits that also plague the public hive. Exploiters are only marginally better than script kiddies in my book.  Private hives solve these issues as well.  As for glitching and combat logging, the private hives I play on have a progressive ban system that takes care of these exploiters as well. And I like being able to have multiple survivors, since I play sometimes when my friends aren't on, so I can leave one survivor logged near a friend and play another survivor, on one of the same communit's other servers which has it's own database, til my friend logs on. Also, the private hives I play on have great communities. Players become familiar with one another not only from playing the game together, but through activity on the forums.

I could care less about modding in the SA. The only mods I've ever enjoyed for DayZ are mods like Redux and DayZ+ that introduce new and/or better features while keeping with the DayZ's hardcore nature, often making it even harder. And some of the features from these types of mods were later introduced to the official mod.  But by and large, most the mods out there, since Lingor and Namalsk up until Epoch, Overwatch, and Aftermath, tend to dumb DayZ down with too much military loot and vehicle spawn in addition to adding easy mode items like super backpacks that can carry everything but the kitchen sink or loot tables with higher end weapons.  So as far as I'm concerned, if mods are going to be designed primarily by and for the easy mode crowd, then I'd just as soon they lock the SA down and not allow modding.  But modding is far from the only reason to support private hives.

There simply is no such thing as an unhackable game

Well, WarZ did it.

Lol

• Like 1

I might have misunderstood something, but doesn't a VAC-ban mean that you lose your entire Steam account?

This would be a pretty good deterrent against the 'my-brother/cat-did-it' school of cheaters. Or if not, a fitting punishment when they get caught.

VAC bans only games associated with the game you've been caught cheating in.

Fx., if you cheat in a HL2 engine based game, all HL2 engine based games will have you banned, however you're not banned from entering most non-HL2 engine based games.

My main Steam account is banned on most if not all HL2 games, and various other games, though in spite I can still play Dota, Chivalry, Arma 2, etc., etc.

Edited by HumanBeing25

Fx., if you cheat in a HL2 engine based game, all HL2 engine based games will have you banned, however you're not banned from entering most non-HL2 engine based games.

My main Steam account is banned on most if not all HL2 games, and various other games, though in spite I can still play Dota, Chivalry, Arma 2, etc., etc.

Well, that's a pity. I preferred the way I thought it was, but I guess it works out for you.

But at least cheaters, when caught, could potentially lose access to Arma2/3/TOH as well as DayZ.

Edited by Max Planck

if you cheat in a HL2 engine based game, all HL2 engine based games will have you banned, however you're not banned from entering most non-HL2 engine based games.

My main Steam account is banned on most if not all HL2 games, and various other games

So you're saying you're a filthy cheater?

• Like 3

So you're saying you're a filthy cheater?

At least I can write my own cheats instead of going on the Internet and depending on some a-hole kiddy from a kiddy website with copy and pasted source code.

And that ban was many years ago, where I haven't cheated since. And I've paid for the games I've been banned in many times, so it all adds up. Never have I cheated in anyway in Arma 2 or DayZ, so it's completely irrelevant to this forum and its members.

At least I can write my own cheats instead of going on the Internet and depending on some a-hole kiddy from a kiddy website with copy and pasted source code.

Evidentally, you can't if you were banned.

Evidentally, you can't if you were banned.

LOL the ban was evidence based in terms of videos and screenshots, not physical detection by the anti-cheat engine.

But let's not get this thread off topic about my personal life.

Well, that's a pity. I preferred the way I thought it was, but I guess it works out for you.

But at least cheaters, when caught, could potentially lose access to Arma2/3/TOH as well as DayZ.

How? VAC isn't in any other BI game

Edited by TSAndrey

How? VAC isn't in any other BI game

It's an assumption based on this:

If all those hacks were available from the beginning, that means there are a TON of un-exposed vulnerabilities still existing in the engine. A lot of the hacker slow down is probably just due to less people playing and having gotten bored with it.

Not really. They are alle based on the same mission-editing tool from Arma2 that just had to been adapted over and over to the modifications of DayZ. But the fundamental function, how to inject code to the server, as well as most of the patterns for hacks (raining vehicles, esp,..) came from Arma2. They were not invented new for dayZ. 

DayZ, as it is an Arma2 mod, uses the same communication-structure as Arma2. Therefor the hacks work. Standalone will use a different Client-Server architecture, so the whole communication-interface of the hacks would have to be rewritten completely. 

That's the fundamental difference in my opinion. For the mod, they just had to reconfigure existing hacks. For Standalone they have to make new ones. 

People tend to underestimate how much in DayZ was copied/stolen from Arma2. Not only models and maps, also hacks. 

It's often mentioned but we don't know if the weapons and ammo will be that rare. Also, more likely than not there will be aimbot hacks for the SA, let's not kid ourselves. We're going to have to wait and see what kind of detection/anti hack measures will be taken against those types of hacks.

It doesn't mean the game is ruined however. The main point is, with the new architecture even in the worst case scenario the hacking situation will be much better than it has ever been in the mod as most of the game breaking hacks will be simply impossible (teleportation, item spawning, godmode, etc).

I don't quite understand. How is a aimbot possible if you want to snipe people? I mean, if you lock on the target it won't work, and I never heard of an aimbot that calibrates distance, target movment, bullet velocity and the probablity where the target may move. This is no CoD, the bullet needs time and it drops, the target moves unpredictable. Now, is there even a single sniper aimbot for arma 2?

Would suprise me, but if you know something tell me.

It's an assumption based on this:

I don't think VAC will ban other same engine games just because you got banned on the only VAC game. I think all same engine games have to use VAC to get the effect!

I don't quite understand. How is a aimbot possible if you want to snipe people? I mean, if you lock on the target it won't work, and I never heard of an aimbot that calibrates distance, target movment, bullet velocity and the probablity where the target may move. This is no CoD, the bullet needs time and it drops, the target moves unpredictable. Now, is there even a single sniper aimbot for arma 2?

You haven't heard of a lot of aimbots then

Some even consider your ping

I don't know if there is one but I assume there is. Dean talked about how removing the crosshairs would, in addition to being more realistic, also help with security making it harder to create aimbot hacks. And he still wasn't implying it would be impossible to make one.

They do. It would have to know what gun you are using and where it was zero'd to, but for something like the DMR which doesn't zero and the bullet drop is known for it wouldn't be that hard to make. It would simply have to know what direction and speed the person is heading in which it can get from the data being transmitted to the client and then have been calibrated to the gun. Distance is again info transmitted to the client.

They do. It would have to know what gun you are using and where it was zero'd to, but for something like the DMR which doesn't zero and the bullet drop is known for it wouldn't be that hard to make. It would simply have to know what direction and speed the person is heading in which it can get from the data being transmitted to the client and then have been calibrated to the gun. Distance is again info transmitted to the client.

Alright. But I kind of don't believe you, sorry. ^^

If you send me some proof, like a youtube video or similar, I could trust that it is the truth. Otherwise it sounds pretty, well, exotic.

I'm a firm supporter of the 'ban all cheaters with no mercy' idea. IMO of you cheat on lets say.... Counterstrike from your steam account, you lose ALL your games with an account ban (AFTER sufficient evidence has been provided of course).

Enough of this leniency crap. People that cheat on an MMO shouldn't get banned from one MMO, and be allowed to cheat on another.

Hackers gonna hack, cheaters gonna cheat. Bring down the banhammer.

Edit: stupid phone.

Edited by OfficerRaymond
  • Like 1

This image should detail how the network bubble will impact on hacking.

Please remember this is only one part of a multitude of architectural changes relating to multiplayer security and performance. But even alone, the image demonstrates the significance of the change.

This functionality has been finished, and is tested and proven for SA.

5ezHgnh.jpg

• Like 6

Brilliant, but does that mean IF people are in that area the client will be able to pick up things from there? Like ESPs? Being a bit slow.

Edited by voddler