de4dcert

Interview with Origins development lead Kinghunt

Modding DayZ is not a revenue stream, and should not be treated as such.
*But* I think we're rapidly getting off topic here and I don't want to irritate the mods - so I'll leave that, at that.

• Like 4

Hello there

No more name calling/changing please.

Sorry to have to come back in. My point is that the difficult issues need to be addressed and cleared up one by one in a clear manner. That would remove any remaining user qualms.

For me, locking down or making cash out of any A2 mod sticks in my craw regardless of whether others are or not. To me its sill wrong.

Donations are fine. Anything else feels wrong to me and against A2 modding ethos.

Regardless, no more insults please.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

*But* I think we're rapidly getting off topic here and I don't want to irritate the mods - so I'll leave that, at that.

Don't worry, we have you covered.

Nice color.

• Like 1

Yeh that's the major issue I have too tbh and saying others do it so it's ok doesn't really wash with me.  

I'll duck out now too though, like I said good luck with the vids DeadCert =)

• Like 1

To be clear - several issues came up that prevented me from releasing 3.0. When those issues went away, it just didn't make sense to release it. I just can't justify the work versus how many people would actually play it.

I still have project oversight on the Survivor GameZ, but a lot of the work is now done by Soma, Lou, Shannon, and Andy.

I've moved on to the Producer role for DayZ Standalone over at Bohemia Interactive.

Looks drama was solved :) Edited by De4dCert

First off its quite disrespectful to change someone's name for effect like that. Saying all other mods are freely given is wrong. Ill pick just 2 Aftermath and DayzRP. Both mods are exclusive to their respective servers one is a pay to play application system, the more you pay the quicker you get whitelisted. The other is locked down to Vilayer. Both are decent mods and fun to play they just employ different methods to generate money to cover development costs or maybe go on a nice all expenses paid holiday. People pay $100's to do this, Origins charges the end user nothing. So its not just happening to one mod.

The mass banning well do you honestly think that this is at all done for fun? The people that were banned exploited the game in one way or another. Why would you ban a chunk of your user base its like shooting yourself in the foot? The reason is protection of the legitimacy and integrity of play. Myself I am on the same cd key I bought last year so why am I still on there? Everyone who gets banned claims they were playing legit. The cheaters are the ones kicking up most of the troll. When a mod gets a sizeable user base its more of a incentive to generate hacks.

My interview got very positive feedback because most people realise it was intended to pull some more information out of an imminent release.

Going to have to point out that you are wrong here, Aftermath makes no money at all; zero, nada, nothing except for a few small donations of course. We offered Vilayer the chance to host Aftermath exclusively, simply as a courtesy for all of the help they provided us in development. Recent underhanded threats to Vilayer have however made this exclusivity not possible (I'm not going to elaborate on this).

To say Origins is free to the end user and Aftermath is not is also untrue. Once beta is completed, people will be able to rent an Aftermath server at a reasonable rate; not an inflated price like Origins have done, through might I add GTX Gaming which I believe is now owned by Kinghunt.

Through might I add GTX Gaming which I believe is now owned by Kinghunt.

Wait what?

I really want to post a measured response like some of the fine gents in this thread, but I just can't seem to muster it up.

Origins is, and has been since it's original copypasta, a negative force in the dayz modding community. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the ripples of corruption are already moving their way through the ArmA3 community. Your attempt to lay the blame on hosting providers, despite the massive evidence of dishonest behavior by the members of GP, makes me question your credibility.

I find it hard to believe an honest person, who's looked into the matter even briefly, could somehow come to the hardened justifications you've posted. Your posts smell strongly of spin and considering my dog just puked up some kibbles on the rug after briefly glancing at the screen, I think I'm pretty much on the money. Pun intended.

Hey, that was pretty tame. Let me fix that.

If you don't see what these mods have done and are doing to the evolution DayZ then you need to try them out. For one Origins started off building construction and home ownership, Epoch has now added a modular construction system both are hugely popular. These are in real-time on the map and make direct changes to the map which makes each experience different. Crafting and currency systems which promote trade and player interaction. Salvation City an AI controlled areas vital to finding the plans to build clan strongholds which required teamwork to complete. Vehicle modification and fortification. The list is very long.

Z29veKB.gif

• Like 5

Z29veKB.gif

I was thinking the same when reading that.

How would that contribute to developing DayZ?

And I actually thought Deadcert would be someone who appreciates a bit of vanilla DayZ after he has made videos and threads about it. But apparently he doesn't even know what it's all bout.

Does anyone still know?

EDIT: Sorry for going that way - but I believe we can agree about Origins and I barely have to add anything to that discussion.

Edited by kichilron

I was thinking the same when reading that.

How would that contribute to developing DayZ?

And I actually thought Deadcert would be someone who appreciates a bit of vanilla DayZ after he has made videos and threads about it. But apparently he doesn't even know what it's all bout.

Does anyone still know?

EDIT: Sorry for going that way - but I believe we can agree about Origins and I barely have to add anything to that discussion.

I play what I find enjoyable. Lots of people are milking DayZ for some $'s here or there so I just think its unfair that the blame is pointed directly at one in every conversation. But its seems to have gone a little quiet now Epoch has taken over as top dog numbers wise when I last checked. Then again that does not stop people making money from that. All this underhand hosting wars/inter mod ddosing wars etc is quite boring.

I think you have to give all these mods credit for new ideas and things to do. Long has it been a pc tradition to make a buck off games and hosting / loadouts or perks. Why should Origins or Epoch be any different?

I do respect DayZ Vanilla I started on it and then moved onto other mods as the game evolved. It just so happened that Origins offered me as a player features that others did not at the time. Now lots of other people have their own vision for it. Its very hard to get the initial feeling that we all once had first exploring the unknown. But hey we all have a good choice now. What I play and what I post I have had many good moments and yes they are all based on the original DayZ. Its a good question does anyone really know anymore???

In fact it all comes back to Arma. The soul!

P.s. What happens if Origins / Epoch Standalone comes out first?

Going to have to point out that you are wrong here, Aftermath makes no money at all; zero, nada, nothing except for a few small donations of course. We offered Vilayer the chance to host Aftermath exclusively, simply as a courtesy for all of the help they provided us in development. Recent underhanded threats to Vilayer have however made this exclusivity not possible (I'm not going to elaborate on this).

To say Origins is free to the end user and Aftermath is not is also untrue. Once beta is completed, people will be able to rent an Aftermath server at a reasonable rate; not an inflated price like Origins have done, through might I add GTX Gaming which I believe is now owned by Kinghunt.

Ok I see what you are saying here but what if Aftermath had the user base Origins has or had? Don't take that as an attack but when Origins hit there was no space to get on any of the many servers. What if people were prepared to pay the prices being asked? Which guess what they did and to some extent still do so its making some users and clans happy.

At the time I posted that all I could see was Aftermath on Vilayer ok this has changed maybe its a good move time will tell there. Underhanded threats? Server mafia?

My point was that there are plenty of mods that do make a fat stack of cash and I guess good luck to them. Up to the respective owners if they have the right to shut them down if they are somewhere in the wrong.

Edited by De4dCert

I really want to post a measured response like some of the fine gents in this thread, but I just can't seem to muster it up.

Origins is, and has been since it's original copypasta, a negative force in the dayz modding community. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the ripples of corruption are already moving their way through the ArmA3 community. Your attempt to lay the blame on hosting providers, despite the massive evidence of dishonest behavior by the members of GP, makes me question your credibility.

Excuse me for not using multi quote properly im half asleep argh. Anyways I would say for a negative force its racked up the playing numbers. People voted with their time. Its tried things no one else did with the mod, sure its based on dayz that's never in doubt but I still see it somewhat one of the leaders in the mods development for new ideas. But this does not justify underhand business practises no way. Now all eyes on Epoch for its genius modular building system. Let the good times roll can someone one up that?

Err...what?

• Like 3

Err...what?

You never know right? Def spawn of mindfuck...

...how could Origins and Epoch have their own Standalone game...

I t'was referring to the movie to which he has named himself after and comparing it to his mind-boggling logic. But okay.

Well without a licence for a game engine you cant I do not think. I'm surprised this has not been tried though.

I t'was referring to the movie to which he has named himself after and comparing it to his mind-boggling logic. But okay.

Oh there is me thinking it was something that seriously fucks with your brain.

Excuse me for not using multi quote properly im half asleep argh. Anyways I would say for a negative force its racked up the playing numbers. People voted with their time. Its tried things no one else did with the mod, sure its based on dayz that's never in doubt but I still see it somewhat one of the leaders in the mods development for new ideas. But this does not justify underhand business practises no way. Now all eyes on Epoch for its genius modular building system. Let the good times roll can someone one up that?

Feel free to counter my original points individually, if needed, when you've had enough rest.

Until then we'll pretend to ignore everything about GamersPlatoon, Martin, the threats of lawsuits, the shady mandatory server provider, GP lifting code from a pre-release community build (thanks for the inconvenience assholes), the reckless bans ala titov, and the lifting of code from competitors and other active modders.. without permission...  for profit.

It's terrific that so many people want to play Origins.  That's great.  A lot of people play Pokemon too.  What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

• Like 5

Uhh.. on what?  Unity?

Edited by SausageKingofChicago

:lol: :facepalm: :lol:

OMFG i have tears streaming down my face, you don't quite understand how this works do ?

There can't be an Epoch or Origins standalone, they would need to license an engine and write it from scrach, why do you think the Dayz SA has taking so long ? You can't do an Origins and just steal shit :lol:

:lol: :facepalm: :lol:

OMFG i have tears streaming down my face, you don't quite understand how this works do ?

There can't be an Epoch or Origins standalone, they would need to license an engine and write it from scrach, why do you think the Dayz SA has taking so long ? You can't do an Origins and just steal shit :lol:

For the life of me I was not being serious. I hope the SA drops with an unstoppable force of gaming goodness.

It does make you wonder what wonderful ways people will find to leech off the Standalone, I wasn't aware of half of what goes on with Origins so thanks for the info.

It does make you wonder what wonderful ways people will find to leech off the Standalone, I wasn't aware of half of what goes on with Origins so thanks for the info.

Why I have to take a step back from the forums sometimes it gets all too intense. There are people who put a lot of time and effort into creating this stuff. There is no doubt it all comes from one game, one source. Viva La DayZ!